HERBIE 510 Stainless Steel Mesh Vaporizer

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I just received my Herbie and have a problem right out of the box (literally). I tried to rotate the air-control ring as I was examining it while unboxing and found it quite difficult to turn. After about 1/4 of a turn, a piece of that crazy thin o-ring popped out one of the air intake holes. So I disassembled it and found that the o-ring was shredded.

Does anybody know where to get replacements for that o-ring in the US?
It looks like they tried another o-ring since the first units (as mine) got a loose air control ring, I replaced it on mine with a slightly thicker and got exactly the same issue than you described @SixStringToker . As well I prefer the air control ring used for the Glow, a lot less chance to move it by mistake.
Let us to know how you like it, personnaly I had better experience but I found that mesh give me a metallic taste in the mouth..., I checked the mesh but there is no holes and I use it at 32w at the moment. I have to stir between each hits maybe I can do it only every 2-3 hits but I'm under the impression the large load prefers frequent stirs.

I bought a Uwell Nunchaku but it appears I prefer to use my HB with a Pico w/heat sink cause my Uwell seems to deliver less power at the same settings... is it defective? I don't know or is it due to the lack of resistance locking maybe?, I ended to use it with my Imp which need less power (but I increased the power from 25-28w to 30-35w) but it's annoying and the battery jauge doesn't seems accurate.

PPN,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I have stuck with my light bulb zig zag coil in the thicker mesh.

I do most of the bowl at 30w and then bump up to 35w to finish.

I have hardly any glowing at 30w and minimal glowing at 35w.

The clouds are thick and cool. I am now using a 2 cell Smoant Ladon mod.

I found the the top is easy to drop. It's kinda slippery.

To be honest - I am really liking the herbie. The clouds seem as big as the tinymight but cooler. Also a bowl goes on and on, lots of draws. It's also one of my most stealthy vapes.

I recommend everyone to get the thicker mesh.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
It looks like I need a bigger jauge mesh! Mine is better than the stock one but it looks like I can't get dense clouds like you mentionned @oddjobold

PPN,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
After trying a lot of coils this is what I recommend.

My search for the perfect coil continues!

I am thinking that something very close to the RBT mesh would be best. Unfortunately nothing is sold like this specifically for vaping. All the mesh for vaping is very fine, not ideal for dry herb imo, okay if covered in e-juice.

So I have been looking for 316L mesh. I have seen a Milaana heater before when my glass came lose. I have settled on this:

Looks roughly the same. Obviously will need to be cut in to strips. What do u think? The picture with the hand gives you the best idea.

Not tried a pancake coil yet, but I am happy with this. Very close to RBT mesh I think.

Vape Engineering

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hey everybody,

thanks for your answers!
@SixStringToker We are very sorry for that! We will send you a package with some spare parts.

@oddjobold : We would be very happy if you could tell us, which mesh you used. We want to try also a zigzag coil

@sashka69 : May we also ask you which wire you used for your pancake coil? Just a simple clapton wire?

Thank you all!
Best regards,
Nils

Vape Engineering,
Reactions: MonkeyTime

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
My search for the perfect coil continues!

I am thinking that something very close to the RBT mesh would be best. Unfortunately nothing is sold like this specifically for vaping. All the mesh for vaping is very fine, not ideal for dry herb imo, okay if covered in e-juice.

So I have been looking for 316L mesh. I have seen a Milaana heater before when my glass came lose. I have settled on this:

Looks roughly the same. Obviously will need to be cut in to strips. What do u think? The picture with the hand gives you the best idea.

This is what I used. Not e-cig mesh. S316L mesh sheet. Think it's used in filters and the like.

oddjobold,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
As I said earlier, if it's going to be included in your production device, you could try skipping the mesh part and go directly to SS perforated (or patterned) sheet. Folding would require some (light) tooling / jig, but you would be next level. High area without the (varying) contact resistance issues. Plus it's also so strong it completely eliminates all risks of shorting so you can do without using a central insulator.

Or well that's the theory at least... the problem is how to get enough resistance to fall into the range most mods can fire. Chances are it would be close to the lower extreme, and this is where the mod is the least efficient (risk of temperature protection cutoffs in practice)

But by selecting the thinnest sheet you can find, with the largest perforations, and cutting a narrow and long strip that you would fold in a half circle zig-zag pattern, you might achieve enough resistance.

Last edited:

Nairod

Hello world!

First post around here and I first wanted to thanks everyone posting around here, the community is awesome !

After 2 or 3 years of owning the excellent Arizer Air I and trying the Dynavap I finally wanted a 510 Mod to use big replaceable 21700 batteries, by miracle I ended up reading about the Herbie here.

Well people let me tell you from the first 2 bowls I got out of it, it's a beast!

5000mAh 21700 Battery
Up to 100W Power w/ Nunchaku2 Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Rotation 810 Drip Tip on top of the 18.8mm Bong SS Adapter

Still need to play more with the Watt & Airflow settings, it's an on-demand, push to heat, vape, so you really control every aspect of the heat & airflow.

I'm about to receive some different coils, I might try a different shape for heating, more like a spiral electrical stove, will update once I test more

Next to an Arizer Air I
PHOTOS : VIDEO :

BeeSawd

Always wished it was smaller cause it's too big for most mods, that said it looks REALLY nice on that mod

BeeSawd,
Reactions: arb

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Yes it pairs very well with the Nunchaku, although resistance isn't stable enough and can't be locked, I hope the "2" have better TC.

I got mixed results with my HB510, I put it away a few weeks and started again with it today and I'm pretty happy atm!

@oddjobold was so nice, he sent me a few strips of mesh he bought for testing, it's a big mesh made fromm ss316 and not sold as an ecig mesh since it's thicker than the usual mesh used in the ecig industry. Got it wrinkled like in the @oddjobold 's pic , wasn't so easy than expected but I achevied to get that wrinkled shape. It was a few weeks ago and since my mixed results before I didn't investigate enough in that new heater and put it on the shelf. Maybe it was a nice things to do when you are bored to tweak your vape without to get the expected results, put it away and come back later!

Maybe I'm more "open mind" but I get amazing hits at 33w, under 10s, smooth, tasty and pretty thick if you want. I use it with a Pico. I added a heat sink to get the atty's bottom above the battery cap.

Thank you @oddjobold for that mesh, I was close to give up .... thank you again!

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
IMG-20210119-165113-01.jpg

New coil. I created it by measuring the old one and adding a bit. The ends are 20mm and the zig zag is 15mm. The zigzag has hardly any clearance at the bottom.

This is pushing it - might have to tweak it to make sure nothing touches the sides. I think it should fit. Definitely can't make it any bigger. Loads more surface area. Will report after testing.

Not sure what to call this coil?

Last edited:

Nairod

Well... all the meshes that came with the Herbie burned :/ I kept runnning it in power mode from 40 to 55W and it kept poping one after the other..
After some early trials and more readingI'd like to use it in TC mode for consistent temperature, I've found that NiFe52 or the Zivipf NiFe48 might be a great coil for precise TC control.
Will try the spiral stove shape as close to the material as possible, will report then.

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Well... all the meshes that came with the Herbie burned :/ I kept runnning it in power mode from 40 to 55W and it kept poping one after the other..
After some early trials and more readingI'd like to use it in TC mode for consistent temperature, I've found that NiFe52 or the Zivipf NiFe48 might be a great coil for precise TC control.
Will try the spiral stove shape as close to the material as possible, will report then.

Not only does the stock mesh not work very well, but glows white hot. This causes it to breakdown and "pop". The material that has broken down goes somewhere - in your lungs. Not cool.

When I took out the zig zag coil with the thicker mesh, I could see no deteriation. It did glow red after 5-10 seconds which is still not ideal but much safer. I will test the new coil tomorrow but I am hoping more length and surface area will eliminate the glowing altogether. Let's see.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
A bit of tightening and tweaking with the new coil. Flattened the corners of the zig zag making it tighter. It now fits nicely with no touching.

Then I always do a burnoff. There always seems to be a bit a smoke first off - so worth doing. After a second or two - no more smoke. Perhaps this is some residual oil from manufacture.

The coil is glowing deep red (the lowest temp glow) at 40w after 7 seconds. I usually only go to 35w and this is around 10 seconds. The is certainly an improvement over the previous coil. IMO I would consider this safe as I don't usually hold the fire button that long.

Will test tonight after work to see if the performance is better. Quite exciting.

Nairod

Alright everyone I found the holy grail of cool for TCR and the best experience without any chance of burning the material or getting too hot!

As I wrote in my previous post, I've read here and there about the great ability of the NiFe48 from Zivipf to be super accurate at TCR, much much more than any other coil because of its base resistance and its TCR value of 0.00400!

So I ordered some and started to wrap my own coil in a stove shape.

I ended up with a perfect 0.1 Ohm and the experience is just perfect!

Super accurate temp! The taste is incredible and I can really get 10+ more good puffs out of every sessions!
No more burning / over temp

I'm using the TCR mode on the Nunchaku 2 set to 420/450F, 100W Heating Power to compensate super fast when the coil cool down when you draw air, and the TCR value of 0.00400

To everyone reading this: serious game changer, please try TCR with good coil, the best is NiFe52(48 from Zivipf)!

Pictures soon

sashka69

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Which size (AWG) did you use? What do you recommend?
I see a lot of sizes on their webshop.

sashka69,

Nairod

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Which size (AWG) did you use? What do you recommend?
I see a lot of sizes on their webshop.
I ordered the sample with 5 different sizes and one flat ribbon

Here are the pictures!

Herbie Vaporizer w/ Nunchaku 2 on TCR mode w/ NiFe52(NiFe48 From Zivif) Spiral Stove Coil set at 420°F 100W (Homemade Coil with 0.25mm round core spaced wrapped with 0.2mm round *4 with double flat ribbon 0.1*0.8mm* 3, all wrapped with 0.2mm round

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hey y’all. What side by side mods for this beast? I’m looking to get one and experiment making coils and stuff. Honestly I have no clue what I’m getting into so any advice is appreciated but right now I still need to find a mod and I really want it to have a shorter wider profile than a skinnier longer profile.

Top Bottom