Herb Grinders

Vitolo

Vaporist
Large SCS: Well known for a reason, seems to do everything I need. Not sure about how often this needs cleaning?
Rarely needs cleaning.. a simple Iso bath will do it.
I love the tooth design!
I keep it clean with a poking tool. I clean it with Iso about once every year or two.
grind.gif

Texus

Popping into this thread to ask for a recommendation. Currently I'm using a Kozo from Amazon, and it's beginning to get clogged. With 4/20 coming up I'm assuming companies will be running sales, and I should have extra fun money.

I see a lot of love for the Brilliant Cut, and it seems to live up to the hype. Unfortunately the wait time on this seems just a bit too long. As for my needs: I'm more on the higher tolerance side, so I'd like something that holds at least 1.5g. I have large hands so I'd like something bigger and easy to turn. I vape exclusively at home, and would like something durable. Right now I'm leaning toward a 3 piece, though all my grinders have been 4 pieces. Finally, of course I'd like something that produces a fluffy medium grind.

What I'm currently considering:

1. Herb Ripper XL: This is my #1 choice at the moment but also the most expensive. At the moment this is on the wait for a sale list. Does anyone know if they do go on sale for 4/20?

2. Large SCS: Well known for a reason, seems to do everything I need. Not sure about how often this needs cleaning?

3. Mendo Mulcher 3": This thing looks giant and durable as all hell... unfortunately all the reviews I see on this are pretty mixed. Some people say they've had it for a decade and it's awesome, others say it's the worst grinder ever... I assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also a 4 piece but not a big deal.

4. SLX 2.5: Surprised by how much love this grinder got on the pages I read through on here! Other places seem to look at this as a lesser option but this is a lot of people's favorite. This is also a four pieces

5. Superweapon: The cheapest grinder on my list but by no means the least. This is another that gets a lot of love on this fourm. Everything I see on this grinder seems like it competes with 'preimum' grinders. I'm curious on what the grind is like on this? Every picture I've seen has a plate labeled coarse on it but everything I've read says it's a medium grind?

6. Phoenician: I love the look of these and the large seems right up my alley. They seem to be perpetually out of stock and I've heard that they break easily? Also not sure about the grind quality of these.

So these are my top choices. Hopefully you guys can help me zero in on a single choice. I had no idea there were so many options for great grinders. If anyone has anything else to suggest I'm all ears...or I guess all eyes lol.
I would add Flower Mill to that list. The one with the replaceable plates. Great feel to it. Love that it can be run as a 3 or 4 piece. Easy to grind and live that to open it is a very easy 1/4 turn. Neck and neck with BCG for me after a week of having both. Each head and shoulders above my Trees grinder and another generic aluminum grinder I had been using.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I would add Flower Mill to that list. The one with the replaceable plates. Great feel to it. Love that it can be run as a 3 or 4 piece. Easy to grind and live that to open it is a very easy 1/4 turn. Neck and neck with BCG for me after a week of having both. Each head and shoulders above my Trees grinder and another generic aluminum grinder I had been using.

Yup I completely agree...

If I had to pick ONE forever it would probably be the BCG but it would be a really hard choice. Haven't had enough time with the FM to really say for sure about that, but I can say I love having the two of them. Really good pairing between the two and if I lost either one I would buy another immediately

Ganjora

Have large hands, and a large SCS 3 piece in the plain aluminium finish/colour.
I cannot get the BCG where I live.
I love the size in my hands, and the 'cut' 'fluff' of the SCS.
I don't like the threads, although I've had no issues, and the magnets of the BCG are a game changer.
That said, the lower chamber of the 3 piece SCS is brilliant without the magnet 'stalk'.
Truth is that even if I could get the BCG locally, the SCS is so good I'd have to break it first.

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I was torn between the BCG and the Flower Mill. BCG won out for a couple reasons.

-I wanted a large size. FM hinted that they have one in the works but it's not available yet.
-FM doesn't let me choose the grind plate I want unless I buy the expansion pack for an extra $20. I don't want to be forced to buy extra stuff that I don't need.
-I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle - simple is better. BCG is three pieces held together with magnets. I'm not sure how many total parts on the FM, it looks like 6-7. Simple is better.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Maybe it’s the dye in the coating? I have not had a problem with the green one. But, I remember having a problem with Super Weapon 2, with the metal flaking. I have the V3 version of that, it is ok, but not entirely sold on it. Hopefully, they will come out with a new version 4? I just can’t justify spending over $75 for a grinder, right now. Trying to be careful with funds....scary times..... I have a large SC 2 piece that is 3” inch, SLX 2.5, Super Weapon 3, Space Case medium, Trees and a cheap small steel one ( that is really good for a small grind for a bowl). Plus, there is always the coffee grinder.

Just saying, once you try a BCG, $75 is easily justified, because in my opinion it easily trounces SCS SLX SW2 among others... For me it is not even the lack of threading, though that is great, or the high quality aluminum and they look so gorgeous too, but the best feature is the anti-lock mechanism with the side teeth in the lid, that feature alone is worth the $75 honestly.

I really need to sell my old purple SLX 2.5, so frustrating to use now! Likewise I was really disappointed by my newer SCS 3piece, they actually changed their teeth design, making them more complex and much worse in my opinion! I prefer the older SCS design, of my original 4piece that I used as a 3piece, but yeah it still can't compare to the BCG...

The FM can because it is similarly easy to turn without ever locking up, thanks to its design being totally different, also it can hold it pretty decent amount, it is not that small even though they are making a larger version... Also if anyone is disappointed by the premium coming with only the coarse plate, with the three finer plates sold separately, just ask them when you order if you can have another plate... That's what I did and they were generous enough to include a fine plate free, and that is the plate I have been using more now, they're great!

Shit Snacks

That was very generous of FM to give you a free plate just for asking but I hesitate to assume they'll do that for everyone. But maybe they will. Or maybe they'll start offering a choice like BCG does.

Yeah that's what I mean, I just asked in the order notes, I mean it is still early in their life, so now is the time, but yes maybe in the future they will just offer the choice for the premium as well... Their customer service was really great, much like BCG though!

Texus

Yeah that's what I mean, I just asked in the order notes, I mean it is still early in their life, so now is the time, but yes maybe in the future they will just offer the choice for the premium as well... Their customer service was really great, much like BCG though!
And @FlowerMillJohn is also on here, as an FYI. Great to interact with on the Flower Mill thread.

SquirrelMaster

Hey @Shit Snacks do you use really sticky herb in your flower mill? I'm wondering how easy they gum up, compared to the BCG for instance which can go a very long time between cleanings. I'm surprised I didn't see a post about a large BCG from you with the coupon code. It's going to be a long 7 weeks haha.

Shit Snacks

Hey @Shit Snacks do you use really sticky herb in your flower mill? I'm wondering how easy they gum up, compared to the BCG for instance which can go a very long time between cleanings. I'm surprised I didn't see a post about a large BCG from you with the coupon code. It's going to be a long 7 weeks haha.

Yeah that is where I was putting most of the super sticky fresh stuff, the plate does get gummed up but it doesn't seem to affect performance? Just like the plate of the BCG can, should be even easier to clean too... But yeah I still have not cleaned my original BCG coming up on 2 years now, not really so keen on cleaning but maybe it is finally time! In the FM really should be a quick wipe, so may clean sooner than that but we shall see...

Yeah so I am actually torn, if I should get the large BCG medium plate hematite now, or regular coarse plate amber... or neither or something else haha feels pretty silly with the UM coming soon, and I really don't even need the large to grind that much at all. I do really love the hematite though, sort of on the fence on the amber, back and forth, but the idea of getting a course plate is appealing, and like with my medium plate kind of would rather get an entire BCG instead of just the plate, but necessary? lol

SquirrelMaster

Yeah that is where I was putting most of the super sticky fresh stuff, the plate does get gummed up but it doesn't seem to affect performance? Just like the plate of the BCG can, should be even easier to clean too... But yeah I still have not cleaned my original BCG coming up on 2 years now, not really so keen on cleaning but maybe it is finally time! In the FM really should be a quick wipe, so may clean sooner than that but we shall see...

Yeah so I am actually torn, if I should get the large BCG medium plate hematite now, or regular coarse plate amber... or neither or something else haha feels pretty silly with the UM coming soon, and I really don't even need the large to grind that much at all. I do really love the hematite though, sort of on the fence on the amber, back and forth, but the idea of getting a course plate is appealing, and like with my medium plate kind of would rather get an entire BCG instead of just the plate, but necessary? lol

That's kinda what I figured on the FM. Maybe I'll add one someday but like the Lift and Iaso I just don't feel the push. I cleaned mine after a year and half I think, and not because I felt it needed it but I thought I should see the difference. It wasn't hard to use before cleaning but I was glad I gave it a clean, seemed to make it even better again. I think some grinders just need to be cleaned more often for either material or design issues.

I've wanted a large BCG for so long because of the ease of use of a larger size in my hands and I needed a reason to get another full grinder :lol: in what I had always planned to be emerald. I just couldn't help myself with the amber, it's such a nice vibrant orange. I'll end up with another BCG I'm sure. I thought of adding extra plates to my amber medium plate order but I'm with you, I'd rather just have another full grinder. More storage for different strains to vape.

The UM is going to be awesome, they should be shipping and day now for early pre-orders!

Shit Snacks

That's kinda what I figured on the FM. Maybe I'll add one someday but like the Lift and Iaso I just don't feel the push. I cleaned mine after a year and half I think, and not because I felt it needed it but I thought I should see the difference. It wasn't hard to use before cleaning but I was glad I gave it a clean, seemed to make it even better again. I think some grinders just need to be cleaned more often for either material or design issues.

I've wanted a large BCG for so long because of the ease of use of a larger size in my hands and I needed a reason to get another full grinder :lol: in what I had always planned to be emerald. I just couldn't help myself with the amber, it's such a nice vibrant orange. I'll end up with another BCG I'm sure. I thought of adding extra plates to my amber medium plate order but I'm with you, I'd rather just have another full grinder. More storage for different strains to vape.

The UM is going to be awesome, they should be shipping and day now for early pre-orders!

Yeah it did take a few rounds for the FM to get dirty, but it is happening with this latest stuff because my place started using humidity packs finally... I'm sure my medium plate amethyst BCG is going to get a similarly dirty quicker as a result! That's why I'm thinking an amber coarse plate could be justifiable....

However yeah now I have the hematite large BCG medium plate in my cart with the code, and since it's a little more expensive it actually takes so tiny discount on top of the basic shipping so it is just under $100 for me... Damn it the ergonomics would be my reasoning as well! question is do I go all hematite again or do I maybe get Amber middle plate? Or no save that for the regular amber coarse later! The thing is, would look so good with hematite and can't be interchangeable large to regular sizes of course....

Yeah the UM coming soon makes me think I should keep holding out, I mean BCG isn't going anywhere and I can always order the next sale or the next one after that... Still so tempting though!!

junny89

@justcametomind I can't find a lot about the stona..
Only @Complexity and @junny89 have it and discuss slighlty in another thread

And only the grinder appeal me, not the expensive jar.. and i have doubt about the wood pusher
It’s fantastic. Honestly if you’re still looking get one. Looks awesome and functions as it should. You get the plates in the box too so no additional purchase. Also can buy the separate glass jar with the seal lid.
I got it for my MFLB

Shadooz

It’s fantastic. Honestly if you’re still looking get one. Looks awesome and functions as it should. You get the plates in the box too so no additional purchase. Also can buy the separate glass jar with the seal lid.
I got it for my MFLB
Stona users are rare, thanks to come here, u use it for a mflb ? So i guess the grind is fine, how compare to others ?
And does the pusher touch the SS plate and get sanded ?
and also if it have to get cleaned often, cause @Complexity said it's a pita to clean ?

junny89

Stona users are rare, thanks to come here, u use it for a mflb ? So i guess the grind is fine, how compare to others ?
And does the pusher touch the SS plate and get sanded ?
and also if it have to get cleaned often, cause @Complexity said it's a pita to clean ?
I love the MFLB finishing grinder. Just takes so many efforts to get quite a bit of herb grounded right.
I have everything prepared already so literally im ready to go. Just the finishing grinder it’s always at that time, which I don’t like.
I found other grinders/shredders but either out of stock or very expensive.
that’s when I saw this Stona, it looks really nice and is similar in comparison to the finishing grinder.
yes using the included fine plate , it’s good enough for the MFLB. if you use the normal plate it’s just more medium style. I just prefer fine. it doesn’t grind against the sides. The lid is tapered and set so that it doesn’t move side to side etc to cause that grinding. I had no idea how to clean it. I emailed support and they said just take the plates (super easy to remove) and put them in a bag of iso. That’s it. Use a brush for the wooden section. I ended up getting the glass jars too which hold all my bud in a smell/air proof lid. Both look awesome.
it’s just something different and for me the closest to a finishing grinder. It’s basically if MF made a bigger version of theirs.
I was after the Roel shredder or roiel I think it’s pronounced but I couldn’t find stock anywhere and it kept getting rebranded. It’s called something else now and was offered by Ghost Vapes too in a package before they closed up.

edit- worth to point out that I spent a long time trying to find a bigger version of the MF finishing grinder. I did try some grinders which were no good and looked at others. There are some others that do produce fine grind but not what I really liked. This I chose because it just is that big brother of the finishing grinder. Like grating cheese lol

Last edited:

Shadooz

@junny89 what appeal me is the possibility to grind different strains back to back without having to clean between the teeths.

The roeiel is called the flower mill now.

I had the mflb finishing, and fresh, sticky weed took too much time to grind.
And the wood of the pusher is now sanded... which seems not an issue with the flower mill as the SS plate seems to never touch the pusher SS.

I will wait @justcametomind feedback now, i want fine grind, so i wait to compare with the storz grinder finess, but if u can compare it to a finishing mflb it must be fine enough ;)
Just want no one calyx to get uncut

ontopofclouds

what is considered to be the best grinder that produces a fine grind? i have a santa cruz shredder but i prefer a much finer grind for vaporizing than what the scs produces

i was looking into the grinder by united machining but i'm not sure. stainless steel is preferable for me.

Shit Snacks

what is considered to be the best grinder that produces a fine grind? i have a santa cruz shredder but i prefer a much finer grind for vaporizing than what the scs produces

i was looking into the grinder by united machining but i'm not sure. stainless steel is preferable for me.

The best way to get a truly fine consistent grind in my experience, is to turn the grinder upside down. The brilliant cut grinder is great for this, because of its anti-locking no jam design with the side teeth in the lid... However mill design like the flower mill ultra fine plate would do a great job, and I am sure the new vape one is good (I think it is a two-piece, which is the same as grinding upside down with a three-piece) I should have the United Machining coming soon, maybe end of the month? Hard to tell his progress on Instagram, but I will report here of course when I have it!

Texus

I'd say go with a design that has multiple plate options. Flower Mill might be a good fit because its plate kit has so many options. And medium (stock screen isn't super course as a starting point. Kit includes:

• Fine Screen
  • Super Fine Screen
  • Ultra Fine Screen

I'm interested in grabbing a really small grinder for easy portability. I've found that one of the forum sponsors' got a real good deal on a small Santa Cruz Shredder, but they don't carry the 3 piece. Anyone happen to know if I can easily convert the 4 piece to a 3 piece?

Top Bottom