Herb Grinders

jbm

Anyone happen to know if I can easily convert the 4 piece to a 3 piece?
Yes, but the bottom piece is shallower than the bottom piece on the 3 piece. I tried getting them to sell me a three piece bottom at one point, but they don’t sell spare parts because of “threading issues.”

Edit: I made a typo. The bottom piece is deeper on the 3 piece. The 4 piece has a shallow bowl, which is why I tried to replace it to begin with.

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I'm interested in grabbing a really small grinder for easy portability. I've found that one of the forum sponsors' got a real good deal on a small Santa Cruz Shredder, but they don't carry the 3 piece. Anyone happen to know if I can easily convert the 4 piece to a 3 piece?
Have you seen the Zam grinder? He offers an FC discount, more info in the thread.

junny89

@junny89 what appeal me is the possibility to grind different strains back to back without having to clean between the teeths.

The roeiel is called the flower mill now.

I had the mflb finishing, and fresh, sticky weed took too much time to grind.
And the wood of the pusher is now sanded... which seems not an issue with the flower mill as the SS plate seems to never touch the pusher SS.

I will wait @justcametomind feedback now, i want fine grind, so i wait to compare with the storz grinder finess, but if u can compare it to a finishing mflb it must be fine enough ;)
Just want no one calyx to get uncut
Yes I have done that with different strains and had no issues.
the grinding of the wood I will only know with more and more use. As this bad boy just grinds up chunks for fun it does last me some time, I would really need to use it more. Right now my teeth are fine. Also to point out, my MF finishing grinder, 5years old is still looking like new and teeth are good too. It’s how you look after these and clean the teeth once used. Really does prolong them.
Ahh flower mill yes. I just kind of let that one go, wasn’t convinced with all the brand changes and just could never find them anywhere. Recently they popping up everywhere for me lol sadly just too late.
The flower mill I believe is all metal so over time I’m not sure how the teeth are affected.
with the fine plate, I get very fluffy finely ground material that for me works well enough in the MFLB.
I have used other grinders for the MFLB and found the finer the material the better it is. Nothing beats the finishing grinder as that’s it job, to make the herb even more finer. The Stona for me gets it close as I can get.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm interested in grabbing a really small grinder for easy portability. I've found that one of the forum sponsors' got a real good deal on a small Santa Cruz Shredder, but they don't carry the 3 piece. Anyone happen to know if I can easily convert the 4 piece to a 3 piece?

If you are not in a rush, and okay with something that's been used (to save money), send me a PM... But I will also tell you, the regular BCG is pretty compact at 2.2 inches, and it is a phenomenal, versatile 3-piece grinder, best I've ever used, personally!

The flower mill I believe is all metal so over time I’m not sure how the teeth are affected.
with the fine plate

There are no teeth, the metal top does not touch the plate below, it just gets very close... I have been using the fine plate now after starting with the standard plate the premium FM comes with, no problems...

jbm

I’ve been meaning to post a quick comparison between my BCG medium plate and United Machining’s grinder. I like them both. The UM is very solid in the hand. It does not have a lubricating ring between the lid and the middle part, but it turns very smoothly. There is some noise but I found it kind of pleasant. I removed the screen, which means you do have to deal with the ridge at the outside. All in all, I like it a lot. Anyway, a picture:

53CB755F-EB6E-4EB1-AE78-49D8BFDF88C8.jpeg

the left side is the BCG and the right the UMG. They seem about the same to me, the UMG might be a bit finer.

Shit Snacks

I’ve been meaning to post a quick comparison between my BCG medium plate and United Machining’s grinder. I like them both. The UM is very solid in the hand. It does not have a lubricating ring between the lid and the middle part, but it turns very smoothly. There is some noise but I found it kind of pleasant. I removed the screen, which means you do have to deal with the ridge at the outside. All in all, I like it a lot. Anyway, a picture:

View attachment 5891

the left side is the BCG and the right the UMG. They seem about the same to me, the UMG might be a bit finer.

Nice, thanks for this!

FYI to anyone interested, the UMG does not have that ridge ledge anymore when you remove the keif screen, he listened to feedback and made that spot rounded off for this upcoming batch...

I finally decided to order a large BCG with medium plate now, so it seems like even after my UMG arrives, I may still have a "reason" for getting a coarse plate BCG someday in the future too!

Shit Snacks

Dang, I wonder if I can get a replacement bottom.

I don't think so, because he is making them all at once, and probably only has enough for the complete grinders... Maybe at some point in the future though, send him a message on IG or an email why not, perhaps he can make one just for you later on or sell you one from this batch if there are any spares somehow... Good luck!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

View attachment 5891

Thanks for that. A BCG is currently my main daily driver...but your pic appears to indicate that the UMG produces a more even grind than the BCG medium plate, and slightly finer.

You now have me considering a UMG more than ever.

SquirrelMaster

View attachment 5891

Were you using the UMG with the aluminum insert installed or removed?

justcametomind

@junny89 what appeal me is the possibility to grind different strains back to back without having to clean between the teeths.

The roeiel is called the flower mill now.

I had the mflb finishing, and fresh, sticky weed took too much time to grind.
And the wood of the pusher is now sanded... which seems not an issue with the flower mill as the SS plate seems to never touch the pusher SS.

I will wait @justcametomind feedback now, i want fine grind, so i wait to compare with the storz grinder finess, but if u can compare it to a finishing mflb it must be fine enough ;)
Just want no one calyx to get uncut
The fine plate on the Stona grinder gets you a fine grind that's a little less fine than the powder you get with MFLB grinder.
I don't have any experience with sticky/fresh buds but I don't think you'd get better luck grinding this material on the Stona.
If you want to grind different strains it may be good enough, some stuff stays on top of the plate but not much other than sticks.
I use it with different strains but all of them are cured to perfection and never ever moist at all.
Stona stays cleaner compared to the S&B grinder where kief would cover both halves of the grinder and has to be collected with a brush.
Hearing of effortless grinding and amazing performance about the new grinders like BCG, I'm a bit disappointed with the Stona at the same price point, and debating if shipping it back or not: it is (imho) far from being a "next gen" grinder and I find quite hard to justify its >100€ cost. Ground material is fine enough if you are looking for that (only used the finer screen) but while grinding you don't want to put it sideways or upside down otherwise some ground material will stick to the gasket of the storage container. I'll probably downgrade the Stona to kitchen herbs if I succeed ordering a BCG (my cards keep getting rejected and they don't accept bank transfers). Having multiple Stona containers for storing the grounded material may be nice but they are 45€ each.

Last edited:

Shadooz

Fast shipping u've got
Hearing of effortless grinding and amazing performance about the new grinders like BCG, I'm a bit disappointed with the Stona at the same price point, and debating if shipping it back or not: it is (imho) far from being a "next gen" grinder and I find quite hard to justify its >100€ cost.
That's the point, if it was 50€ without the jar... all the "mill" seems to take longer to grind but end up with all calyx broken.

BCG will do it faster but will let some chunks.. which are agregate of calyx, so if many pass, lonely one too...

So i still could go with a cheaper new vape fine 2pc but won't know if it will be really different from the 5€ S&B..

Last edited:

jbm

Oh? Is it a little more coarse than the BCG medium plate with it not installed?
I would imagine it might be, but I haven't tried it without the insert. I'll check it out later.

Oh? Is it a little more coarse than the BCG medium plate with it not installed?
Just tested it with the insert removed, and it's roughly about the same, maybe a tiny bit coarser than the BCG. BCG on left, UMG on right.

IMG_1299.jpeg

kazz

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
What grinders other than the BCG are magnetic closures? I did not care for the BCG and am back to using my Space Case. It does a good job, but can be a PITA to unscrew.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
What grinders other than the BCG are magnetic closures? I did not care for the BCG and am back to using my Space Case. It does a good job, but can be a PITA to unscrew.

Flower mill as a magnetic grinding/milling chamber, and quarter turn for the finished compartment. Quarter turn is super easy IMO

Shit Snacks

United Machining Grinder... is also grippy!

Flower mill as a magnetic grinding/milling chamber, and quarter turn for the finished compartment. Quarter turn is super easy IMO

Yes FM is easy with the quarter turn, but there are no magnets... The top piece does not need it? Is it magnetic? I didn't think mine was... Kazz needs grip mainly too?

Texus

Yes FM is easy with the quarter turn, but there are no magnets... The top piece does not need it? Is it magnetic? I didn't think mine was... Kazz needs grip mainly too?
Top lid of Flower Mill does have a magnet. And I agree that the 1/4 turn to access the grinded weed is super easy and quick.

Another grinder i discovered has magnets and no threads is the one Tafee makes for the Bowle (at least the metal one is like this, as Troy shows in his review; getting my Bowle today and can report back on if the plastic version is like this or not). I'm curious to see if that grinder having the four chambers in th recepticle is something that works well for non-Bowle applications.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

Ah I didn't realize grip would be an issue. FM probably not the best choice then!

But yeah there's a magnet in the top lid/center post. Not nearly as strong as the BCG but it's there. I think I read one of FM Johns posts (or maybe FM site) to not even put pressure on the lid, just let the natural pull of the magnet put the force on the bud while you spin to mill. Depending on how I load it, sometimes that works, sometimes I need the slightest pressure down on the lid.

Texus

Ah I didn't realize grip would be an issue. FM probably not the best choice then!

But yeah there's a magnet in the top lid/center post. Not nearly as strong as the BCG but it's there. I think I read one of FM Johns posts (or maybe FM site) to not even put pressure on the lid, just let the natural pull of the magnet put the force on the bud while you spin to mill. Depending on how I load it, sometimes that works, sometimes I need the slightest pressure down on the lid.
I don't think grip is an issue at all for me on the FM. Honestly, even with the 1/4 turn, I think it is the easier lower effort grinder I have. And that includes the BCG, which is a close second.

Now that the Bowle has arrived, I can confirm that their plastic grinder also uses a magnetic connection. WIll report back on how that pot system works with non-Bowles. Also interested to see what other pieces that the Bowle pots might fit in...

Shit Snacks

I don't think grip is an issue at all for me on the FM. Honestly, even with the 1/4 turn, I think it is the easier lower effort grinder I have. And that includes the BCG, which is a close second.

Now that the Bowle has arrived, I can confirm that their plastic grinder also uses a magnetic connection. WIll report back on how that pot system works with non-Bowles. Also interested to see what other pieces that the Bowle pots might fit in...

I think I remember kazz sold his BCG because he could not grip it, that is why I brought that up. I have some hand troubles, but I'm okay gripping my BCG, though I could see how and where and why you would have trouble... And in my experience I think the FM could result in similar trouble for him, although it is in general easier to use because it is not grinding in the same way with teeth, it is milling grating, inherently smoother... but there are times when I have struggled to grip and turn my FM a bit just because it is smooth slick without any itching, you know? I never have trouble opening it, I'm just talking about the actual grinding motion which is what I think kazz struggled with using the BCG.... I have not got my UM grinder yet, but looking at it it is full of itching and grip, so I think it may be the best bet for @kazz in particular is all.

btw the chamber pots should fit in the vapbong... I have not used them in anything else but my bowle though (I also have not used the plastic potter at all, meh why?)

kazz

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I sold the Brilliant Cut because it kept slipping in my grip. I have an old nerve injury in my left hand, and with the slick finish on the BCG, plus the large size, it just spun in my hand when loaded. I tried Latex gloves, rubber bands and other things without success. The regular size might be better, but I'm going to try to find something with some texture.

So, are the quarter turn grinders good? I remember a couple of comments from the past about them opening up while grinding. Is that still n issue?

I'll give the flower mill and united machine grinders a closer look. Thanks!

Top Bottom