Herb Grinders

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Do the seconds also take 5 weeks or more to get?

Nope! They are (at least have been, so they should be) ready to ship... only the normal orders are a 5-week wait as they are made to order... Just realized we are in the regular herb grinders thread, you know there is a BCG thread, right? That has more info

andrew`124c41+

Putting this here since it is a comparison of two grinders, instead of putting in their individual threads.
Hopefully the right place.

Anyhow, here are a few comparisons of grinds using the BCG and Flowermill with similar amounts of same strain.

For the Smallest Size (FlowerMill) vs. Fine (Brilliant Cut Grinder), they had very similar outcomes - both very consistent in size and fluff:

For the Middle Size (FM) and Medium (BCG), it is also pretty similar although I find the BCG to have more consistent grinds:

For the Largest size (FM) vs Coarse (BCG) there were a few nugs that got through the FM - (upper left corner is visible one), so again the size of ground herbs is much more consistent with the BCG. Then again, I don’t use coarse much, so maybe the little nugs are a good thing for some people:

Finally, because I happen to have 4 strains to play with, I did a comparison with 2nd smallest size (FM) with the Medium (BCG). The FM came out finer than the Med BCG, and they were both consistent grinds. I did have a decent sized chunk that just would not go through the FM (I repositioned it a couple of times, but it just would not break up and fall thru holes) which is probably by design, but if it was in BCG it probably would have been shredded without issue and blended in with rest of herb:

I really do like the FM, especially how easy it is to store all the different sized screens, but after only a couple of grinds, it is almost ready for a cleaning, while the BCG won’t need cleaning for a much longer time.
But it is also much easier to clean/brush out the top part of the FM than the BCG without making a mess.
The FM has consistent grinds with the 3 smallest sizes, not so much with the largest 2 sizes while the BCG always seems to grind very consistent results regardless of screen size.
Interesting comparisons. I am about to purchase a grinder. I am pretty happy with a medium grind for the vapes I have. I suspect the BCG is the way to go. I am not going to wait for a stainless. Aluminum may be a softer metal but when compared to what the grinder is chewing, I don't think it matters....herb will lose in it's battle with the aluminum teeth!

Just curious which of the 2 you use most of the time.

andrew`124c41+,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Interesting comparisons. I am about to purchase a grinder. I am pretty happy with a medium grind for the vapes I have. I suspect the BCG is the way to go. I am not going to wait for a stainless. Aluminum may be a softer metal but when compared to what the grinder is chewing, I don't think it matters....herb will lose in it's battle with the aluminum teeth!

Just curious which of the 2 you use most of the time.
I use my BCG 90% of the time since the FM honeymoon wore off.
It’s just smoother to grind, easier to clean, all around better grinder.
But if I never had the BCG, I am sure I would be very happy using the FM full time.

GoldenBud

did somebody ever compared the FM vs BCG grind (medium) with microscope or so? to take a look how the trichomes look?

GoldenBud,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

andrew`124c41+

I use my BCG 90% of the time since the FM honeymoon wore off.
It’s just smoother to grind, easier to clean, all around better grinder.
But if I never had the BCG, I am sure I would be very happy using the FM full time.
I didn't know that FM wasn't really your type of guy. At least you didn't have to divorce him :-). Yeah, going to order the BCG rather than wait for SS version. Aluminum will be fine.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't get all the fuss. I don't see the point of spending a hundred bucks on a "diamond cut grinder." It never ceases to amaze me how companies can make a fetish out of just about anything....from accessories for firearms, cameras, drones, magic paraphernalia, cigar affecianados, to weed connoisseurs.

Interesting comparisons. I am about to purchase a grinder. I am pretty happy with a medium grind for the vapes I have. I suspect the BCG is the way to go. I am not going to wait for a stainless.

😂😂😂 did those dang Brilliant Cult Grinders get to you too, Doc?

Don’t worry, the water is warm, and the kool-aid is extremely.... cool 😎

I never did review my BCG purchase - frankly there’s nothing I can possibly add that hasn’t already been said. But I will say the other day I tried to give my friend a Space Case, for spring cleaning, and when he noticed it wasn’t fully magnetized like my BCG he went and ordered one off their website lol.

#threadsaredead

fangorn

I know that I am part of the minority... but for my part, "the meeting did not take place"...
It's an excellent grinder, but I didn't get hooked...
and I think that psychologically, I could not go back from ss to aluminum...
I sold my factory second after about fifteen uses... the buyer seemed very happy with his first test! I used the money to buy a Herb Ripper medium/fine hybrid plate...
I will see the price of BCG ss!!

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Joining the trend of people who collected a couple SS grinders, bought a BCG factory second (not even xl) and have found myself using the BCG almost exclusively.

Pulled out my very very heavy herb ripper large 3 piece with the large basin the other day, part of it slipped out of my hand while multitasking, and I feel lucky it only took a very tiny chip out of the base of one of my bongs, should be sandable. So dang heavy though.

It needs and deserves regular cleaning if I want to give it a shot again, which I likely will if I notice any wear and tear on my BCG.

JohnJacobs

Hey guys, so after finally deciding on a TinyMight for my first vape after having a few years off (my 3rd vape overall as I had an Ascent and FF2) now it’s grinder decision time. I used to own a small titanium space case 4 pc. I’m very health conscious, which is why all of my vaporizer choices have been all glass air pathways and why I went with titanium space case over aluminum in the past. Well, I was going to order another space case and then I found out it’s really aluminum with a Ti coating…in that case if I’m going to get an aluminum grinder, for the price and grind consistency would just get a SCS. However, I’d really rather not have aluminum as I’ve read too many stories on here of the anodizing wearing off and I don’t want that in my goodies…

So, I think I should buy the herb ripper. If I were to buy it, I need to know that I won’t get SS flakes in my buds either (it’s expensive and I’m only paying the price for health reasons!)

As an alternative, there is the SCS hemp grinder. This thing seems like it shreds just as well as the regular SCS, but it’s made 100% out of hemp, so if a piece were to chip off in the herbs, it would be safe? Obviously, it doesn’t have a magnet (which I can live with) and it’s super cheap so is this the best choice for me?

Lol at my choices being between one of the cheapest grinders and the most expensive… :tinfoil:

Edit: Also, after browsing here a bunch, I’ve decided to go with a 3 pc this time as I’d rather have that kief on my buds for full potency when vaping.

I’m also thinking a medium would be a good size. I don’t see myself grinding more than 3.5G at a time probably less.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Came back in here to read another's post and realized that my last post showed I was weakening on the BCG. Well, I ended up caving and I am very happy I did. While I have avoided very expensive grinders up until now the additional cost of the BCG seems to be worth it as the smoothness of the movement and it's ease of turning have won me over. I haven't tried the HerbRipper, but I am finding the purchase of the BCG, even at it's premium, very worthwhile. I got a factory second and don't even know why it was rejected, so that knocked $25 off from the start. And 420 is "soon come" so there will be another 10% to be had.

If money were no object I might be looking at waiting for the SS version of the BCG, or one of the other SS grinders partially for the reasons @JohnJacobs mentions and partially because I just think SS might be better and hold it's edges longer, but I have already busted the budget on the discounted BCG I bought and I am VERY happy with it. So far. :rolleyes:

TeaCup

As an alternative, there is the SCS hemp grinder.

That's what I use. And I'm in the process of coombing through color combinations of the BCG if that tells you anything.

If the weed you use is perfect consistency it'll grind it nicely. If it's not, it's kinda a pain in the ass. First off, you need to stop your twisting at the exact optimal time as not to turn it into dust. Often times when you do that you'll get clumps that will shred Ok, and other clumps that haven't broke down at all and you need to try and be optimal again. What I'm trying to get at is it's really hard to get an even grind with anything less than perfect weed. I wouldn't look forward to try and grind 3.5 grams.

Having a tough time deciding with the BCG though. I've now seen two posts saying the Flower Mill is better for dry weed, and while I like the look of the FM better, I really have no interest in milling, I wanna shred something.

JohnJacobs

That's what I use. And I'm in the process of coombing through color combinations of the BCG if that tells you anything.

If the weed you use is perfect consistency it'll grind it nicely. If it's not, it's kinda a pain in the ass. First off, you need to stop your twisting at the exact optimal time as not to turn it into dust. Often times when you do that you'll get clumps that will shred Ok, and other clumps that haven't broke down at all and you need to try and be optimal again. What I'm trying to get at is it's really hard to get an even grind with anything less than perfect weed. I wouldn't look forward to try and grind 3.5 grams.

Having a tough time deciding with the BCG though. I've now seen two posts saying the Flower Mill is better for dry weed, and while I like the look of the FM better, I really have no interest in milling, I wanna shred something.
Do you have the 2 pc or 3 pc?

If money were no object I might be looking at waiting for the SS version of the BCG, or one of the other SS grinders partially for the reasons @JohnJacobs mentions and partially because I just think SS might be better and hold it's edges longer,
I would definitely go with the SS BCG (based on all the praise over here on the aluminum model) if it were out already, but it seems it’s been announced over a year and there still isn’t a release date that I can find. Maybe I should get the hemp SCS until they release the SS BCG? 🤔

Squidge

Butane powered
Do you have the 2 pc or 3 pc?
I've got both the 2-piece and 3-piece SCS, though mine is the regular (non-hemp) version.

I would definitely go with a 3-piece every time. The 2-piece is far too frustrating when it come to loading a bowl as you need to decant the herb either into your hand or onto a surface before using it. With the 3-piece, you have it ready to collect.

Also, with the 3-piece, you can't overgrind it as as soon as the flower is the right particle size, it'll pass through the holes in the screen.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I would definitely go with the SS BCG (based on all the praise over here on the aluminum model) if it were out already, but it seems it’s been announced over a year and there still isn’t a release date that I can find. Maybe I should get the hemp SCS until they release the SS BCG? 🤔
After a google search I found a reddit post (eww) from the BCG folks from April of last year saying they hoped to release the SS version "in a couple months". Well, more than a couple months have passed ;) and it still is vaporware but who knows what difficulties they have encountered. I am guessing it has to do with how much more difficult SS is to machine but that's just a guess. All that being said it should be a great grinder once it comes out...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@cybrguy that reddit post is really old and inaccurate really, they told me about the steel version inside of the aluminum outside shell in December, without any release date, they just said it would be later after the four piece so maybe we will hear about it soon with a release date?? They showed me a prototype so it's moving along

@JohnJacobs for what it's worth I absolutely hate the SCS, they changed the design of the teeth several years ago, I think it is so awful now, less effective, chunkier grind, so much getting stuck in the teeth with their silly parabola curves... I started with an old SCS that I used as a three-piece, it did change the game, and the old teeth were more effective for me though I grind upside down a lot, I moved on to the SLX which was good until it became extremely disappointing as well lol I can't say anything about the hemp version, I suppose that could be cool to try, I just don't really like the idea of it so much?

BCG is next level for me, the anti-locking teeth, the lack of magnets, the high grade aluminum with beautiful colors and design style... I can never go back, I also have the FM and I never use it anymore, while I have quite a collection of BCG now. They give me full control over my grind with a variety of buds and the factory second deals are pretty fucking incredible I think!

If you want to buy a steel grinder now, I think it would have to be the ripper? Though there are a few other options... I saw that @ZAM seemed to have a larger version in stainless steel at @VGOODIEZ pop up recently??

JohnJacobs

BCG is next level for me, the anti-locking teeth, the lack of magnets, the high grade aluminum with beautiful colors and design style... I can never go back, I also have the FM and I never use it anymore, while I have quite a collection of BCG now. They give me full control over my grind with a variety of buds and the factory second deals are pretty fucking incredible I think!
I want a BCG just worried about the aluminum. Do you still have to worry about flaking/chipping/anodizing peeling with the 7075 used in the BCGs?

JohnJacobs,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom