Herb Grinders

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
that is 100% the best feature and I would pay any amount for it
Well, I wouldn't "pay any amount" for anything short of a really sweet culinarily trained supermodel with a contract to never leave me, so we clearly have different ideas of what's worth "any amount".

However... We know how this hobby goes so I should never say never about caving to fun pot related toys, but at this time with limited cash I would rather spend that money on something to grind. If I had no grinder than all bets would be off.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
You are right. But the Flowermill has no teeth, which I like even more. I just don’t like the aluminum shavings. They need to work that out before I recommend them again.

Yeah I didn't have that problem with the FM, but hopefully it can be resolved, would be great if the whole thing can be steel to be safe, I guess that makes it more money, and they're not exactly selling like hotcakes? (what is, look vapexhale just folded now)

@cybrguy ah exaggerated superlatives! :haw:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Buy once, cry once.
I gave both my SL/x grinders away (were still shedding purple coating on q-tips) once I got my BCG, you will wonder how you put up with a SL/x after you upgrade...you should...you deserve it!
As I said who knows what the future holds, but I wanted to say in defense of SLX that I have no scratches or peeling of my coating and I do not get purple color on a cue tip dry or isoed, so my experience is different from yours. My SLX has served me well so far.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
After I received my replacement SL/x v2.5 that also shed purple onto 100% iso soaked q-tips (I did post the pictures here of the problem) the company just said the coating is non-toxic so I just gave up and moved on to the 'large BCG' but I still have my 88mm SpaceCase for a proper large grinder.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
I can only speak for the early SLX 303 grinder which I've had for.....it's been so long now I really don't know, but the ceramic coating on mine (only the inside is coated) still looks like it's brand new (I believe it's Cerakote?) and has never accumulated any buildup, residue or visible wear.
However I DO have to clean the anodised interface between the lid and lower grinder part, as it DOES stick eventually, despite the "Never sticks" legend engraved on the base.
My BCG is definitely smoother to turn while empty, but there's little difference while loaded/clean (caveat: I'm a micro doser, and the SLX 303 is a larger grinder than the BCG, so I'm usually grinding quite small amounts in both).
There's a much bigger gap between the lid and lower grinder parts of the BCG than any of my other grinders. I believe this is deliberately engineered to avoid trich's getting mashed between the two components and becoming the sticky 'plaque' that plagues other designs (maybe the castelated teeth around the upper edge of the lower half also play a part, but my belief is that it's mostly simply the looser fit of the lid), and it works. Or at least it has worked for me so far (I'll have to use the BCG for a few more years to be certain!).
I also think the material/manufacture of the BCG glide-ring is the best/smoothest of any of my grinders, and that also promotes a super smooth feel while empty (again, this advantage is less apparent when the grinders are actually loaded, it's still perceptible, but much less so in my experience).
Threadless on the BCG is great, and comes apart a tiny bit easier than my Pucc ( BCG is smoother to turn than Pucc, and I can tell the Pucc will need occasional cleaning around the lid/lower grinder interface just like the SLX and cheapo types).

I do think the BCG looks like it's going to be the best grinder I own, but it's not so far ahead that I'd be happy to pay double what I paid for the SLX, or for the Pucc for that matter.
I still want to be able to just dump the whole grinder in some PBW to clean though so I'm keeping an eye out for the full stainless BCG, or perhaps a Herb Ripper or United Machining model if the SS BCG is beyond what I can afford.
Whatever I go for I'm certain I'll have to sell my existing grinders to afford it.

I really prefer PBW to ISO for cleaning stuff for environmental reasons, and safety (not much of a concern mind you, but still..) and ISO isn't always available to us all, so an all stainless version is my preferred 'grail' grinder be it BCG, Flower Mate, Herb Ripper or whatever.
I was also considering the newer SLX, as perhaps the all-over ceramic coating would resist PBW soaking, but @LesPlenty's experience with the purple dust put me off, and I'm uncertain about the Cerakote/PBW thing.

There's always the "Steely Dan" all stainless grinders available from Verdampftnochmal which are nice and cheap, but they have threads (and not even half or quarter turn threads like the SLX/HR et-all).
Still, I'm happy with the BCG for now.

Edit:
Oof, sorry for the wall of text!

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
2022-02-20-05-20-37-Reddit-Dive-into-anything.png

j3oomerang

I picked up a "Blue Bus" grinder 5-6 years ago. It is powder coated. Nothing sticks to it. Best grinder I ever owned.
Yeah I went ahead and bought that Blue Bus grinder I had linked from etsy in the general grinder thread. It grinds weed, sure, but it's def not of the same quality of the BCG. I can tell that just by the pictures. Also, I want a course grind, and I find the Blue Bus is too fine of a grind.

Shit Snacks

nothing sticks to bcg

Well that is not my experience, moist stickier herb is going to stick, but not ground up, but I do get some bits stuck in the teeth sometimes particularly if I'm grinding upside down so that makes sense, but also I find that fine key can stick as well over time as it gets dirtier, though it does not affect the function... I feel like the non-stick gimmicks are just that, but that's only based on my experience with SLX?

How did you justify a second one to yourself?
Brain just said yes?

Well, I started with the regular fine plate, aquamarine, I was able to justify a second one because I wanted to try medium plate and the (light) amethyst color when it came out... I prefer to have a complete other grinder instead of just plates to sit unused on their own, since I have so many different strains as well, can grind fine or medium and have both ready for different vapes etc. Then it was easy to justify getting the large one it came out, and then the factory seconds made it easy to get another one with a coarse plate and yet another with the special extra chunky plate... And yet another factory second large with fine plate instead of medium plate like my other one, so I could also have all the colors I want haha it's definitely excessive now and I will own their steel inside aluminum shell version when it is available as well... :mental:

cptofnthng

Ive looked at both, but threads make me shudder now. There is at least a beautiful grinder available here, thats supposed to be high end. They are called stona grinder.

cptofnthng,

GoldenBud

Well that is not my experience, moist stickier herb is going to stick, but not ground up, but I do get some bits stuck in the teeth sometimes particularly if I'm grinding upside down so that makes sense, but also I find that fine key can stick as well over time as it gets dirtier, though it does not affect the function... I feel like the non-stick gimmicks are just that, but that's only based on my experience with SLX?
It's been a long.. long time since I've got any moist herb (luckily me) moist herb = more h2o = less thc,terpenes..., less high, It's been a while since I am having top shelf buds and I can't go back it seems (vaping around 0.5gr per day these days... work work)
and my bcg is cleaned as a button (I do clean the magnet once in few months lol)

so yeah, for moist herb (more than around 12% of h2o in your buds) it will leave some stickness
but aim for the top shelf weed ;)

Shit Snacks

It's been a long.. long time since I've got any moist herb (luckily me) moist herb = more h2o = less thc,terpenes..., less high, It's been a while since I am having top shelf buds and I can't go back it seems (vaping around 0.5gr per day these days... work work)
and my bcg is cleaned as a button (I do clean the magnet once in few months lol)

so yeah, for moist herb (more than around 12% of h2o in your buds) it will leave some stickness
but aim for the top shelf weed ;)

Always pretty top shelf, but sometimes it's the dryer stuff that leaves more dust that just builds up and sticks, nevertheless! And of course no need for cleaning :nod:

beluga808

When I was in this situation I bought another BCG. But they had also just re-upped the factory seconds.
I received my factory second last week. I'm really impressed. Grind is perfect and it's just fun to work with the BCG.
I had a Herb Ripper before. Although it's a nice grinder, I think it's retirement started the day I received the BCG.

condition

I got a large stona grinder on Friday. It is really-really large, like 3 or 4 large size STX grinders stuck together. It is an innovative grinder, mainly in wood and glass. Both these elements (glass and wood) are very well incorporated in the grinder, which looks like a vase due to its size/construction. The mill consists of a metal cap and a wooden mill. The metal cap unscrews and opens into a nice wooden container for nugs, can take up to 4 gr.

Now to the grinding: comes with 2 screens, I used the fine one because my herb is very fresh atm. I can say that it outperforms the STX first generation grinder that I own. What I don't like is how am I going to clean all these parts, each one requires different cleaning method, whilst I submerge other SS and aluminium grinders into iso for couple of hours and come out ads new.

191031_Stona_Produkt0771_ad5c8d1d-e613-4793-a2f3-32461e2fc618_300x300.jpeg
I noticed interest in stona grinder so here is my position 5 months later. I use it daily but not exclusively, a bit less than a gram per day, so the condition of the grinder now, without any washing yet only brushing once, is a per photos below. As you can see there is minimal product stick after all these twists and doesn't affect the operation. Materials seem more safe than aluminum from what I have read and works pretty well for 3-4 grams storage. The SS plates can be ISOed but I only cleaned at the dish washer.

As for it's main purpose, grinding herbs it works very efficiently with medium or fine grind, depending of the metal plate used.

The first photo shows residues after months the second photo the "secret" storage compartment.

The two last photos are displaying how big this grinder is. I have the large size as well the large size in SLX and Space case. The two together are the same height of stona with almost half of its volume. Clearly a home tool, far from portable for me.
Click the pix for high res on postimage.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Has anyone who has ordered a factory second BCG been unhappy with what they got? Are all the seconds colors or scratches?

And do they traditionally have a 420 sale?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Has anyone who has ordered a factory second BCG been unhappy with what they got? Are all the seconds colors or scratches?

Most reports I saw was people who did not even notice any flaw, but there were a few who did, one of mine I can see a slight spot in the curve in the corner where it is not fully anodized blue, you can see a little hint of aluminum, but it is not even a scratch, I haven't seen any reports of anything as bad as a scratch, just not fully anodized parts I think? Or potentially a misshapen cut, a few were off colors, but most of them were specified if so...

And do they traditionally have a 420 sale?

Yes they always have 10% off, for nearly every possible holiday, which is enough to offset the shipping cost :tup:

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom