Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

Terpenetime

I’m truly DISGUSTED with the lack of communication from Max Vapor regarding my AC Kit.

I received notification that a USPS Shipping Label was created for my order on the 11th July but absolutely nothing since that time. They’ve failed to reply to my emails and haven’t even put in an appearance on FC to explain themselves.

We’re now way beyond the point whereby Covid19 could provide an adequate excuse or explanation.

I’m happy for those that have received their orders but Max Vapor need to get their act together and communicate to all those that are still waiting.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I’m truly DISGUSTED with the lack of communication from Max Vapor regarding my AC Kit.

I received notification that a USPS Shipping Label was created for my order on the 11th July but absolutely nothing since that time. They’ve failed to reply to my emails and haven’t even put in an appearance on FC to explain themselves.

We’re now way beyond the point whereby Covid19 could provide an adequate excuse or explanation.

I’m happy for those that have received their orders but Max Vapor need to get their act together and communicate to all those that are still waiting.

Same thing in the MV PID thread, @maxvapor710 was last seen on FC back on July 20th, that’s a two month absence here. Don’t know what to make of it, though it’s rarely a good sign, as it doesn’t take much time to make a post here with any kind of update. :(

fogbank

Hi folks.
international user here.
I got AC/18650 adapter today.

I haven’t tried yet from wall powered. I tried with 18650 sled(SonyVTC5A battery)
It looks works fine but, hopper body LED and battery sled LED flick and backend gets hot. (Hot backend)

I have 2 OG hoppers. (v4 internal and v5 internal) both happened hot backend issue.

Does anyone have same issue?

Just to be clear, are you saying that you experience a hot back end with the 18650 battery sled but NOT with the original Hopper batteries?

I think that many Hopper owners have experienced a hot back end with the original batteries. I don't think that the AC adapter or the 18650 battery sled change the equation significantly.

I do have one OG Hopper that seems to be dying on me. I experience "ghost" hits with it, and sometimes the LEDs start to flicker blue/red while I'm drawing. I have also noticed a hot beck end when using the AC adapter with this Hopper.

But I don't think that it's the AC adapter that is causing this - I think it's the Hopper dying.

Regarding the LEDs on the battery sled flickering, this happens to me as well, but it seems normal to me. The battery sled LEDs flicker while the Hopper is heating up and stop flickering when the Hopper reaches the set temperature. During the draw the battery sled LEDs can flicker again as the Hopper draws power from the battery. This seems normal to me.

The Hopper LEDs flickering is another story. I have one OG Hopper that flickers on every draw every time I use it. It seems to flicker in a pattern. The Hopper works perfectly.

So there is some variation in how the Hopper LEDs behave even when they are functioning normally.

And during any conversation regarding hot back ends the recommendation of cleaning the threads with Blu-Tack comes up. It may be worth a try. I'm not 100% convinced that it is effective, but it's worth a try, and often provides a temporary fix for hot back end and flickering LEDs.

Try emailing them from a different address if possible.

I say this because they actually told me that my Yahoo emails were ending up in their SPAM filter (after obviously receiving some of them directly). I did not want to argue that it is their responsibility to make sure that legitimate customer emails do not get blocked as SPAM. Instead I went along with it and emailed them from a different account, referencing my order number and the email address that is actually on my account.

I have never ordered anything from @maxvapor710 before, and I doubt that I will in the future either, but from other comments on this thread I get the impression that this lack of communication is not normal for them.

The last communication that I received from them was on August 17th, when I got a notice that my threaded adapters were out for delivery. This is more than a month after you received your notification, so there may still be hope...?

MoltenTiger

Hot back-end with the 18650 battery sled is definitely something to be cautious about.

I was using mine last night, and I left it engaged for some short-ish time (a little while, less than an hour but who knows).
When I went to use it, I got burnt by the back-end. The button was extremely hot (i.e. "hot back-end" X100), and it took a long time to cool down. It was too hot to be disassembled at first, but I disconnected the power and removed it as soon as I could.

Now my io back end is totally buggered. The button doesn't push down, so the device won't power up. Total failure. I guess it melted some plastic inside it, or metal expanded and the mechanism is totally jammed up - whatever the case, it is EOL and I'm waiting to hear back from HL.

My back-end had other issues, the dial was always crap to turn and the thing popped apart a couple of times. I figured I would be replacing it at some point.
But not like this, if anyone else is using the 18650 sled, make sure to unplug the hopper between every hit. Something is possibly amiss with the power design - I don't know.

Chingas

I received my unit a few days ago and finally got to test it. Kind of.

The screw in adapter that goes between the GH body and backend is misaligned. It screws in just fine but the opening for the power cable is blocked by the clip on the backend piece. Since I can't screw it all the way together I only sometimes get consistent power to the heater. Screw me right? It was enough to show me that my Hopper itself is screwed up because it has been running cool for a while. My old hopper batteries have been acting screwy for some time and I was hoping the poor performance was due to that. I'll screw up the nerve to contact both of these manufacturers tomorrow.

This sucks. I was looking forward to getting screwed up while screwing around with my 18650 powered Hopper but they are both totally screwed.

MoltenTiger

I received my unit a few days ago and finally got to test it. Kind of.

The screw in adapter that goes between the GH body and backend is misaligned. It screws in just fine but the opening for the power cable is blocked by the clip on the backend piece. Since I can't screw it all the way together I only sometimes get consistent power to the heater. Screw me right? It was enough to show me that my Hopper itself is screwed up because it has been running cool for a while. My old hopper batteries have been acting screwy for some time and I was hoping the poor performance was due to that. I'll screw up the nerve to contact both of these manufacturers tomorrow.

This sucks. I was looking forward to getting screwed up while screwing around with my 18650 powered Hopper but they are both totally screwed.
That's a pain :(

Hope you can get it sorted out. HL finally got back to me today, took a few back and forths to get my io registered, and now they are sending out a replacement back-end.
io warranties seem more similar to the good old days, not sure how they will go with the legacies. I haven't been told to send mine back yet, who knows if that will ever be requested.. I filed the claim back in April.

Still no word here from MaxVapor.. hope things kick back into gear soon. There might be good reason to include a couple of slotted adapters with all orders to avoid the clip clearance issue. Otherwise it is just chance as to if it will fit..

akit4so

Tobacco Vapourist
Just to be clear, are you saying that you experience a hot back end with the 18650 battery sled but NOT with the original Hopper

Sorry for late reply. I experienced the hot backend with lower charges original hopper batteries. When battery fully charged, almost no hot backend.

I cleaned this kit battery contacts and hopper battery contacts.
result is “still happening hot backend but sometimes not happen”.

My OG v4 hopper is getting weak heater.
I need RMAs but I’m not able to send to HL due to Covid impacts. :(

fogbank

The screw in adapter that goes between the GH body and backend is misaligned. It screws in just fine but the opening for the power cable is blocked by the clip on the backend piece.

That does suck and I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you.

I have attempted to connect two slotted adapter to multiple back ends, on both OG and IO Hoppers. It became clear to me that the placement of the clip on the Hopper back end in comparison to the start of the threads is not consistent between Hoppers. That means that when you screw them together, the slot on the slotted adapter will not always end up in the same place compared to the location of the clip. It varies from Hopper to Hopper. That can lead to the slot on the slotted adapter being partially or even fully obstructed by the clip :(

I have one OG Hopper where the slot on the slotted adapter is about 80% blocked by the clip. I still manage to get the back end and body screwed on with the cord in place, but the cord is almost directly behind the clip. It still works fine though.

I don't see any way for you to work around this other than removing the clip from the back end. I have one older OG back end that I broke the clip off of accidentally when trying to thread the old (non-slotted) adapter onto it. It still works fine, it just doesn't have a clip anymore.

Lastly, there is some variation in the positioning of the slot on the slotted adapter compared to the start of the threads on the adapter. That means that one slotted adapter may screw on to a back end with the slot blocked, and another may screw on to the same back end with the slot exposed. So in theory you could get a new slotted adapter that may screw on to your back end without the slot being blocked by the clip. Unfortunately that would require @maxvapor710 to send you a new slotted adapter, and I'm not sure if you can get them to do that at this time...?

Sorry for late reply. I experienced the hot backend with lower charges original hopper batteries. When battery fully charged, almost no hot backend.

I cleaned this kit battery contacts and hopper battery contacts.
result is “still happening hot backend but sometimes not happen”.

Hot back end happening sometimes but not always is normal in my experience with many of the Hoppers I've used.

MoltenTiger

Hot back end happening sometimes but not always is normal in my experience with many of the Hoppers I've used
I don't know if it's normal, but it seems fairly common and is indicative of a power transmission issue.

The heat my back-end got to whilst using the 18650 was extreme, literally blistering hot.

I don't know exactly why, but it went from normal usage using an 18650 to some time later, being incredibly hot with the button firmly seized (not that I could tell until it had cooled down a bit), there is still a tiny bit of travel but it comes to a hard stop before acting like a switch.

I have no intention on using the 18650 sled again as I suspect it's circuitry isn't properly safe, and the GHBs offer much better portability.

Still happy using the mains adapter, but for on the go it's nicer without the extra cable and clunky set up

fogbank

I don't know if it's normal, but it seems fairly common and is indicative of a power transmission issue.

The heat my back-end got to whilst using the 18650 was extreme, literally blistering hot.

I don't know exactly why, but it went from normal usage using an 18650 to some time later, being incredibly hot with the button firmly seized (not that I could tell until it had cooled down a bit), there is still a tiny bit of travel but it comes to a hard stop before acting like a switch.

I have no intention on using the 18650 sled again as I suspect it's circuitry isn't properly safe, and the GHBs offer much better portability.

Still happy using the mains adapter, but for on the go it's nicer without the extra cable and clunky set up
You are correct, I should have said "common" instead of "normal". It certainly shouldn't be "normal" from an engineering standpoint.

Your experience with the battery sled is unnerving. Did you say that your back end fell apart and you reassembled it? Was that before the battery sled incident? I wonder if the back end was faulty all along.

In any case I don't see myself using the battery sled much, if at all. I can't leave a battery in it all of the time, and it chews up my battery sleeves when I take them out. I just think of it as a novelty.

The mains adapter is working great for me too.

MoltenTiger

You are correct, I should have said "common" instead of "normal". It certainly shouldn't be "normal" from an engineering standpoint.

Your experience with the battery sled is unnerving. Did you say that your back end fell apart and you reassembled it? Was that before the battery sled incident? I wonder if the back end was faulty all along.

In any case I don't see myself using the battery sled much, if at all. I can't leave a battery in it all of the time, and it chews up my battery sleeves when I take them out. I just think of it as a novelty.

The mains adapter is working great for me too.
I always had a bit of trouble with it, the dial was hard to turn and got a bit stuck a couple of times, and ended up partially popping apart twice. Both times I managed to catch it so it didn't completely disassemble, but needed to be clicked back together.

I only used the 18650 sled several times, and I have no idea why the device heated up the last time I did. It could be a problem with the back-end, but I never had any issue with default batteries or the power adapter, which I've used much more.

Definitely unnerving, and a bit annoying. Luckily nothing caught fire

ChooChooCharlie

Max sent me a slotted adapter -- so much easier than the first style. Good idea, @MoltenTiger. I got curious about trying it in an io. Took suggestion from @Namekian , posted last May, a 10 amp DC brick:

This pic taken during first click on test
10amp-brick-with-io.jpg

Brick is an apt name -- it weighs almost a pound. Look at the size of it compared to the io! Yet the cords are shorter than Max's stock 5 amp brick. It works, though. Just did two chambers, same performance as GB3 battery use. But certainly not as convenient as stock battery use. Posting this because people seemed interested

grasshopper-collection-with-text.jpg

Hey, it's not so different from stem collections, right? 4 Ti io's up top, which I rotate, hoping for longevity. 3 of the OGs in pic are dead. BTW, the silicone which mates Plenty mouthpiece to PFE lets you unscrew and dump without burning fingers

MoltenTiger

Max sent me a slotted adapter -- so much easier than the first style. Good idea, @MoltenTiger. I got curious about trying it in an io. Took suggestion from @Namekian , posted last May, a 10 amp DC brick:

10amp-brick-with-io.jpg

Brick is an apt name -- it weighs almost a pound. Look at the size of it compared to the io! Yet the cords are shorter than Max's stock 5 amp brick. It works, though. Just did two chambers, same performance as GB3 battery use. But certainly not as convenient as stock battery use. Posting this because people seemed interested

Hey, it's not so different from stem collections, right? 4 Ti io's up top, which I rotate, hoping for longevity. 3 of the OGs in pic are dead. BTW, the silicone which mates Plenty mouthpiece to PFE lets you unscrew and dump without burning fingers
Excellent!

It is far superior using GHBs for on the go usage, for sure. And with the slot, it's pretty easy to switch over - Really happy how that came to fruition :)

That's a fantastic collection you've got going on there, and the Escher print is really nice too

It reminded me of this photo, and sent me on a several hour journey to rediscover it and lots more distant memories.

I fed inferior grasshoppers to my chickens, but always appreciated the powerful ones.
009.JPG

fogbank

On_Weed

10amp-brick-with-io.jpg

Thank for this - I just ordered the same power supply, should get here in a few days.

On_Weed

marina-AC-io.jpg

Been using io with that mega DC power brick for a week. So far, so good

Edit: After plugging in huge brick, it takes 4-5 seconds for it to "warmup," charge its capacitors or something. So you gotta wait a bit before clicking on your io
I got my power brick this afternoon, a day early, and have run like 4 or 5 bowls through it now.

I feel like after waiting like 7 years, from initially backing the hopper, it has finally hit peak performance.

1) instant on
2) full, on tap power (with Max Vapor adapter and BINZET power brick)
3) reliable usage
4) impressive performance (white wall / low draw resistance) through a decent size bong

Only thing I wish is the carbon fiber cable was a bit longer, but that's a minor gripe.

I hope Max gets back to everyone who's still waiting on their adapter, so you and your hopper can also ascend.

ChooChooCharlie

gb3-and-adapter.jpg

Note: those etched patterns on gold adapter pad were there when new, not from use. I'm a lazy one or two hit user, and don't change temp dial myself. The warnings posted on previous page do make sense, though. The io will be fine, but the gold on Max's adapter might get scraped away by io's three new battery terminal mini scrapers

fogbank

I got my power brick this afternoon, a day early, and have run like 4 or 5 bowls through it now.

I feel like after waiting like 7 years, from initially backing the hopper, it has finally hit peak performance.

1) instant on
2) full, on tap power (with Max Vapor adapter and BINZET power brick)
3) reliable usage
4) impressive performance (white wall / low draw resistance) through a decent size bong

Only thing I wish is the carbon fiber cable was a bit longer, but that's a minor gripe.

I hope Max gets back to everyone who's still waiting on their adapter, so you and your hopper can also ascend.
I have only briefly tried the IO power brick that I ordered, connecting it once and verifying that the IO powered on. It seemed like the "ticking" sound (from PWM) was much more noticeable with the AC adapter that it is with the battery.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone think that this could be a bad thing?

On_Weed

I have only briefly tried the IO power brick that I ordered, connecting it once and verifying that the IO powered on. It seemed like the "ticking" sound (from PWM) was much more noticeable with the AC adapter that it is with the battery.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone think that this could be a bad thing?
Hmm, mine does not click

On_Weed

I think that all Hoppers "tick" to some degree, but it's not always audible to the user. I finally used my new power brick with the AC adapter and the IO yesterday. The "ticking" was definitely more noticeable with the AC adapter versus the battery, but it worked perfectly.
Yeah, after I posted about mine not ticking, I started to notice it on some bowls and not others.

Top Bottom