Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah it seems he may have abandoned us here? And I know there were some unhappy customers, hit hard by covid lockdowns, glad to see Max is still around and okay, that these Hopper PA are available for anyone again now!

Mine is still working pretty great, with my frankenhopper TI back end and original SS body, occasionally the power is a little wonky, but for the most part works very consistently fortunately! I am also extra fortunate, because I think I have another assembly with the slotted ring, never tested it since this one is working so well (and my original SS back end is fused to the first assembly I got documented here lol) but now that I have a blue IO I may want to try to set it up with that...

If all I need is a different power supply, should be simple enough, although I don't know if that PSU is expensive? Haven't really looked into it yet at all, not necessary so far, but could be very cool and useful later... Has anyone even tested it with a color io though??

MoltenTiger

You do need a fairly beefy power supply to fire up the io

Mine is overkill at 150W, but that allows the vape to function with full power from the moment it is plugged in.

Most brick style PSUs (especially budget ones, which often have fake labels) don't have nearly as much grunt which is why I opted for the Mean Well LSR-150-12

Ultimately the better design for the mains adapter would be with gold pogo pin contacts on the dummy battery (I've already had to add solder to my adapter to increase clamping force and get a more reliable connection)

A PSU set to 4.2V rather than with an extra DC/DC converter in-line might make it even more streamlined depending on how long the leads could be. I need to order one already.

Mains power really makes the hopper io a one size fits all device. However I had a couple of chambers last night with a legacy and an old GHB2 which worked just fine. Options are good.

I ordered one for my io- very curious to see what that's like. Will also order the powerbrick recommended earlier in the thread as well.

I really wanted one last year when they were unavailable so when I saw there was a 2021 version for sale now I jumped on it. I also got the 3 pack of batteries from HL so I guess I'll be using my hopper a lot more in the second half of this year than in the first!

MrKappus

Has anyone purchased one during the restock and received it? I paid almost a month ago and it has yet to ship. Every time I message the seller he tells me something different and doesn’t follow through. Now he’s not responding at all… I really want to support a small seller and I hate talking shit, but this is getting crazy. I hope this is just a fluke, but you all may want to be wary purchasing from this company…

lazylathe

Almost there...
Has anyone purchased one during the restock and received it? I paid almost a month ago and it has yet to ship. Every time I message the seller he tells me something different and doesn’t follow through. Now he’s not responding at all… I really want to support a small seller and I hate talking shit, but this is getting crazy. I hope this is just a fluke, but you all may want to be wary purchasing from this company…

I just had a quick look on the Max Vapor website and looked at the reviews...
Read them, they are unfortunate.

Since they are not replying to your emails, why not give them a call?
1-727-290-4086

MrKappus

After reading reviews of people having the same issues as me, I just asked for a refund. He hasn’t responded in days, but instantly canceled the order when I asked for a refund. Wild. I hate to say this but avoid this seller at all costs. Really hope someone else can reverse engineer this product and sell it themselves.

MoltenTiger

has anyone ever tried DIYing one of the AC adapters with something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/LRS-200-4-2-AC-DC-Power-Supply/dp/B07MBCYX64
it would work well and wouldn't need a DC converter inline like the MaxVapor set up.

Though it would be fairly big, for a desktop set up that's negligible to me.

The MV kit is most useful for the slotted adapter. I've been using a MW LRS-150-12 to power the kit (it's even larger I think), it can make a little bit of noise under load (buzzing) but otherwise they're decent quality options. If you are keen to jerry rig, I'd say go fir it. You could just drill a hole into the GH and feed wires in if you really wanted. If you have a unit that can be fully taken apart (front end/chamber) you could just solder it together.

A better way to go with this would be to shorten the whole thing down with a tube for the heater assembly and back-end threading, otherwise it's a stupidly long assembly.

You dont need that much amps for GH. This one is overkill. I have it and use it for powering a single battery evic mod, it weights like 700grams without the enclosure.
You need heaps of amperage for the io, not so with the GH, I could run the Grasshopper from a USB powerbank (ZY12PDS trigger). It's not easy finding a 4.2V supply that is better specified for the job that costs less and is passively cooled, from what I have found. Though I haven't tried a direct 4.2V option, I would think there'd be some maximum wire length and voltage drop depending on the leads. A lot of power head room would be a good idea if trying to adapt the io. I held off on buying the 4.2V MW as I never got a second GH unit working well enough to warrant the effort. The MV kit works well enough, it's a pity it didn't work out.

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Spleeeno

Spleeeno

Horsin around
yeah I've been trying to get one of the kits from MV to europe for months, but MVs payment processor uses some AVS just cant handle european adresses and MV support has never gotten back to me with alternative payment options... :argh:

Spleeeno,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
so, lovely christmas story.
MV CS actually did get back to me. told them I just plan to run it with the IO, so they said I wouldnt need the power brick and shipping would be cheaper. payment was made, items where sent. everything showed up today, installing it was rather easy and I turn on my 10A 12V brick on but only got the dreaded "leds-only-on-for-1-sec" result. switched out the brick for a 12V 5A one and that one does work :rockon:
now the 5A psu doesnt sound too happy during rampup and use, but its not exactly quiet during verdamper use either, so I'll guess it'll work for now until I get another 12V 10A unit...

BadJo0Jo0

so, lovely christmas story.
MV CS actually did get back to me. told them I just plan to run it with the IO, so they said I wouldnt need the power brick and shipping would be cheaper. payment was made, items where sent. everything showed up today, installing it was rather easy and I turn on my 10A 12V brick on but only got the dreaded "leds-only-on-for-1-sec" result. switched out the brick for a 12V 5A one and that one does work :rockon:
now the 5A psu doesnt sound too happy during rampup and use, but its not exactly quiet during verdamper use either, so I'll guess it'll work for now until I get another 12V 10A unit...
Could you link the unit you are using to get your current power adapter to work with the io? I'm running into the same issue as you did and was directed to your reply from MV, to hopefully hold me off until I get the new unit that will work with the io without issues.
They told me to buy this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9X4GLW/) to work with my GH, but I still get the "leds-only-on-for-1-sec".

BadJo0Jo0,

fogbank

Could you link the unit you are using to get your current power adapter to work with the io? I'm running into the same issue as you did and was directed to your reply from MV, to hopefully hold me off until I get the new unit that will work with the io without issues.
They told me to buy this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9X4GLW/) to work with my GH, but I still get the "leds-only-on-for-1-sec".
I can confirm that the adapter you linked to works with my IO units.

Here is the adapter that @Spleeeno is referencing:

KJS-1509 3-12V 5A Power Adapter Adjustable Voltage Adapter LED Display Switching Power

fogbank,
Reactions: Spleeeno

Spleeeno

Horsin around
Could you link the unit you are using to get your current power adapter to work with the io?
yeah the one @fogbank linked to is the VVPS I use atm, I think I mentioned it in the hopper io thread a few weeks ago.

But I'm planning on replacing most of my 12V power bricks and move to some kind of ATM setup:

BadJo0Jo0

yeah the one @fogbank linked to is the VVPS I use atm, I think I mentioned it in the hopper io thread a few weeks ago.

But I'm planning on replacing most of my 12V power bricks and move to some kind of ATM setup:

Thanks for the idea(s) to use a VVPS. So just to clarify, so I don't blow my shit up, it's really just using the VVPS in place of the converter included in the kit?

BadJo0Jo0,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
yeah thats like the second step, the first is playing around with the more stable 12V from the atm with the converter to see if the hopper runs

Spleeeno,

BadJo0Jo0

yeah thats like the second step, the first is playing around with the more stable 12V from the atm with the converter to see if the hopper runs
Sweet! I'm the middle of making my own ATM/VVPS right now. Slowly finishing my 3d print/design as the packages roll in. Will definitely report back as soon as I can.

BadJo0Jo0

So far no luck for me using my VVPS to the converter. Haven't tested directly from my VVPS to the io yet since I'm not feeling too confident about doing that just yet.

BadJo0Jo0,

Spleeeno

Horsin around
so the KJS-1509 didnt work for you? or just the DIY one?

Last edited:
Spleeeno,

zatonic

Any updates with these kits? Might be the only option from this point on since we can't get batteries.

zatonic,

BadJo0Jo0

So I loaned them my hopper.io and gave them the original power adapter back in April. They have updated their power adapter to work with it, and are apparently still waiting on cases to be printed for them. Unfortunately they've gone dark on me since June 7th. I loaned my hopper to help them get the power adapter issues resolved and get everyone else in there the resolution they want. I'm not trying to bash them or anything, but it's hard to not feel like I'm never getting my hopper.io back .

Top Bottom