Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have two ideas on how to use the hash pipe :p . One is that you fill the forward section with hash and heat the glass.. and the second one is to use it as a straw for consuming concentrates out on a metal pin ..

I think what you do is drop the hash down into the curve/hook part. Then use a lighter to head up the tip with the spikes. That should act as the heat sink and melt anything down in the curve/hook. I am going to send Calen an e-mail asking for the proper technique.

Slightly Medicated,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Like SliM, i have also received an email from Calen answering my own emails. :)

I always said he must have a good reason for not answering, but i am glad he finally did.

The gn0me is awesome and everyone should own one. Especially if you don't have money to get a cloud or a vrip anytime soon and want to taste the herb much like the wine taster savours his wine. ahahaha! :D

Polmol

I also got an email from Calen :)

He mentioned the pipe in the email, he only said it was made for "solid plant concentrates".

Polmol,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I also got an email from Calen :)

He mentioned the pipe in the email, he only said it was made for "solid plant concentrates".

I forgot to write him about how to use that. :doh:

I am experiencing a something weird... I experience it when I use glass nails as well. I used to be a glassblower for a short period of time. I am used to putting glass in the kiln once I heat it up with any sort of heat. That way you are always annealing the glass and making sure you keep the crystal structure as uniform as possible. It feels weird to me to heat up glass and not have a kiln to place it in... I feel like I am breaking the rules or something. This is totally a quirky thing with me... does not speak to the quality of the product at all.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Nycdeisel
I got my replacement Cone heating element today, so back in business! Will be more careful with how I heat the glass. I also got the little hash pipe, which I just now found out that's what it is. Same green colors on both pieces as the pic above. Very sweet.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Essentially a big oven.

I remember using one in high school when we did clay stuff in art class.

My understanding of its use in glassblowing is to get an entire piece up to temp, and let it cool slowly and evenly, which leaves the glass with the best structural integrity.

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: Polmol

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Essentially a big oven.

I remember using one in high school when we did clay stuff in art class.

My understanding of its use in glassblowing is to get an entire piece up to temp, and let it cool slowly and evenly, which leaves the glass with the best structural integrity.

Yep. Glass is like a big crystal structure on a molecular level. When you heat up parts of the glass it changes the way that crystal structure lines up on the molecular level. The kiln is a big oven that you put the piece inside. You use it several different ways. When you are completely done with a piece you stick it in the Kiln to anneal the glass. The oven is quite hot... this helps the structure kind of re-align on a molecular level. You leave it in there for awhile... then you turn off the kiln and let the pieces cool down to room temp inside. The slow cool down process helps the molecular structure become as strong as possible. The other way is to keep your piece warm so that the temperature difference between the part you are working on, and the rest of the glass does not become too much. If you are doing some detail work on a mouthpiece of a bubbler. You would keep sticking the bubbler in the oven for a minute or two periodically. This helps keep everything warm and helps prevent the piece from breaking from thermal shock. If you were to sit there and work on the mouthpiece area without putting it in the Kiln you would risk getting cracks.

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Hey Everyone,

First of all, my sincere apologies to everyone who experienced some delay or confusion in the past month. Business started picking up, and I attempted to hire someone to help me alleviate the burden and let me continue running the operation, but this didn't work out so well - orders got lost or shipped to the wrong address, and I was so busy trying to deal with the problem that I missed out on some of your emails, and for that I'm very sorry. Needless to say, I'm going to be more cautious in the future, and I'm still working through old emails, but if you mail me now, I will do my best to get you a prompt reply. All orders which have been paid for have shipped - if you don't receive anything in the next few days, please let me know and I'll get you taken care of.

I haven't had the time to read through the rest of the thread but it seems that there may have been some cracking issues with the heat exchanger sections. I'll post an official usage guide up on the website soon, but for the most part the hints and suggestions I've seen have been good - heating the glass evenly, and slowly at first will help you avoid any thermal shock. If you've experienced a thermal shock crack, please let me know and I'll replace your heat exchanger at a discount (if it's been over 60 days) or for free (within that time period - sometimes a bad one gets through, and the only way to know is from use).

I always use the highest quality glass, but have experienced occasional slip ups from the factory, so I'm switching suppliers of my ground glass joints... newer mouthpieces are made with Lenz joints from Germany already, and soon all of my heat exchanger sections will be from the same... with any luck, these will be even more durable and have a better fit and finish overall.

As far as the concentrate vape-pipes I've been sending out, I tried to include some freebies with those recent orders which experienced difficulties, as a special sneak preview of a product which will be added to the website soon. It's indeed intended for solid plant concentrates such as hash, and resulted as a cooperative effort between myself and some dedicated medical patients who primarily enjoy hash to relieve their symptoms, but were sick of needing to place hash onto a bed of plant matter or a metal screen in order to use it. Being so new I probably should have included some instructions, but they're still in development... For the time being, try rolling up a little ball of your material, about the size of a BB or mouse turd (horrible imagery, I know!) and place it on the middle of the three prongs of the pipe. Use a lighter (for best results, a torch lighter) and gently heat the ball by waving the flame across its surface while breathing in. The first couple of hits will be pure vapor, then the ball will cherry and burn until it has expired. Overall, it's a great clean tasting way to enjoy solid plant concentrates (sadly not pure oils) without any screens required. Oil will build up on the inside of the pipe as normal, and you can heat sections of the pipe in order to consume those without reclaiming the whole pipe. I certainly hope those who have them enjoy them - they'll appear on the website soon, and until then just shoot me an email if you'd like to try one at a special intro price of $15 shipped to your door.

Finally, a big thanks goes out to all of you, who have supported me through some interesting times and helped to make my dream of being a self sufficient glass worker closer to reality. I couldn't have done it without you, and I hope I can continue to bring you great quality, innovative glass products for many years to come. There will be some contests coming soon, with prizes to those who can think of some better names for my various products - the GonGnome (or cone, sorry!), the oil vape, the concentrate vape-pipe, and possibly others. I could also use some usage videos of the various products - there will be a couple rules, but I'll be rewarding those who make the best vids :) Get your thinking caps on, lads and lasses, for the good times are about to begin!

-Calen

Polmol

So I was growing this HUGE Mandala #1 in my garden but yesterday it decided it was a fucking male. There were about 2 million testicules on it :mad:

Anyway, I'm gonna try and make some kief with it. Apparently it's possible.. I hope it works cause then I'll be able to try the cool little pipe I got from Calen!

Polmol,

NoSmoke420

I'm getting a GonG gn0me! It should be here by Friday!

I read through this thread, what a nightmare with the delays and the trouble on Calen's end. The gn0mes ran into quite a mess! Everything seems to be going pretty smoothly now though. I sent Calen an email inquiring about a purchase last week, and he got back to me the next day. He did have a slight production delay, which pushed the estimated delivery back from this Monday to Friday. However Calen is adding a free slider for the delay, so I'm happy to wait!

Pretty exciting! I can't wait to taste the best flavor that vaping has to offer!

NoSmoke420,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel

Nice. I love my GonG Gnome AND my slider vape, both are great. I also love the way they fit neatly into the cases I got.

Nycdeisel,

NoSmoke420

I may need to get a second case for the slider I'm going to have. How do you keep the GonG Gnome glass from rubbing in the 2 pocket case?

NoSmoke420,

Nycdeisel

I dont understand. For the GonG gnome. I have the heat exchanger and bent WPA. it fits neatly into the two compartment case I got with it. The slider vape has its own case.

Nycdeisel,

NoSmoke420

Oh I see, my GonG Gnome has a dry mouthpiece in addition to the WPA. The cases have to be modified slightly to safely hold all 3 GonG pieces. Not really an issue, cause if you're taking the GonG Gnome somewhere a dry mouthpiece wouldn't be necessary anyway.

NoSmoke420,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yeah, I got rid of the dry mouthpiece and just store my GonG heat exchanger with the angled wpa. I also keep that case in a sunglass case for extra protection.
:peace:

Nycdeisel

I actually, in addition to the one I mentioned, have a 3 compartment slim case for my slider vape, and i got a little tube with it thats a little stash holder, its like a tiny test tube with a cork top, very cute. I love how it all fits neatly into the case. I will have to post some pictures soon.

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: Stu

Polmol

I'd been using the slider for months and Thursday I got the Gong Cone, tried it out for the first time yesterday and.... wow. It's in a whole other category. It heats up the herb much more evenly than the slider I find. And the piece is so beautiful to look at. It's really zen to vaporize with. :)

Nycdeisel

I agree 100% Polmol. Yesterday I was vaping with a friend who had never vaped before. I was not paying attention and combusted in the GonG 'cone' gnome and my bubbler. So of course that would be put aside until its clean and ready to use again. For that time being we just used the slider vape, which, while enjoyable and a very nice piece, does not compare to the GonG Gnome IMHO. We had a great time taking vapor bong hits with it once it was all cleaned up again :)

About to hit the bub+cone gnome now , cheers!!!

This week i finally had my package from calen in my hands!

*there is a cheer...the gnomes have learned a new way to say hooooooorayyyyyyyyy*

I ordered two Sliders and a cone with wpa. I was a little worried about ordering after reading some of the posts in this thread, especially with being in europe, but have to say: communication with calen was smooth - he always responded to my mails in a timely manner.

The gnomes are great, really great! Taste is as good as it gets! It took me about a gram to learn how to use them... i had a too hot monsterhit the second time i tried. Ouch that hurt :D my lung really hurt for a few hours after that (hadn't vaped in nearly 4 weeks before that, too). Now i got a bit better at using them and get 2-3 tasty hits with visible vapor in the slider, with just a tiny, tiny piece of a bud :) love it!

On the first day i liked the cone better than the sliders - it's a bit easier to use and the gong connection just feels a lot more stable than the two tubes of the slider and the ice pinch-screen works better than the smilie of the sliders. But after giving the sliders a second chance i've come to the conclusion that i prefer them (for now). For a long time i used to only smoke joints - couldn't stand combusting in bongs. When changing to vapor i had to use bongs to get the best quality of vapor... now the slider feels a little closer to smoking a joint and i really like it because of this, and while the cone is easier to use hand held as well - i think the sliders got a classy, elegant look to them that the cone's missing :) also i like how little material is used in the slider, perfect for maintaining low tolerance!

don't know what else to say now... i'm quite high, but the nyc diesel (mandarina) tastes so good in the gnome, one more couldn't hurt :D

vape on

Polmol

Nice!

Btw, I'm thinking of getting the wpa, should I get the 14mm or the 19mm? WHich size is the standard for water pipes?

Polmol,

farscaper

Do all the WPA come bent? can the WPA be a strait vertical piece or does that effect performance?

farscaper,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've never seen a straight one, but I don't see any reason why it would effect performance. I bet Calen would make one if you asked him real nice.

:peace:

Top Bottom