Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

Polmol

Maybe the fact that the ground glass is so close to the heater part causes crack-pronage?

Polmol,
Well same happen to mine.. Bought this new torch... and the first time i heard a cracking sound and after that it was repeated every time when heated till it broke... just like yours :) . Gnome classic is still going strong though and the oil dome too.. and it has seen very much abuse since i got it..

Well crap, this worries me. Anybody other Cone users share this experience?

I'll still get another one because I love it so much, but I might have to try a slider. How do you compare the performance of the slider to the cone, Abysmal?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
My cone is still going strong.

I use a chefs brulee torch, So I'm heating mine relatively quickly.

I've never dropped it or anything though.

Frederick McGuire,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
My cone (hate that name tbh) is working with no problems at all. I couldn't ever really get my slider to work well, but I'm happy with the GonG cone w/ WPA.
:2c:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

I agree on the name Cone frederick. It will always be the GonG gnome to me.

Mine going strong as well, i am very careful where i place it while its still warm. i have a small ceramic dish that holds my copper aromatherapy cup that can go on top of the PD or Zap and a pair of tweezers so i have somewhere to put it when its hot, safely. So when the heat exchanger is hot i put it in there, and it stands up on the joint end, and im always careful when placing it there, and im careful with the glass in general, since it can break.

When i heat it, i use my angled Blazer table top burner, it sits on the table, and i hold the heat exchanger horizontally and i rotate it slowly. If i want to take a second hit right after that, i usually leave it on the tube and bring the torch flame to it, since the end gets a little too hot to comfortably hold while holding it on the side AND rotating constantly.

Nycdeisel,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Well, Technically it was Stu who just said he wasn't a fan of the name NYC, but I agree with him - so you pre-emptively agreed with me :lol:

To me, a cone is the name of the 1 hitter slide that my buddies use to combust in their bong...
So it feels a bit awkward to call it the cone :shrug:

When my heater section is hot, I usually take it off and leave it sitting on the opposite end to the Ground Joint.
There's no particular reason I do that, but it's done me well so far :tup:

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
When my heater section is hot, I usually take it off and leave it sitting on the opposite end to the Ground Joint.
There's no particular reason I do that, but it's done me well so far :tup:

There is a reason to do that. You are letting the glass cool slower by exposing it to the air. Depending on the surface you put it on, it will pull the heat from the glass quicker then the air would. If you put it down on the hot end over and over, it can shock the glass by cooling it quicker then it should. You are actually prolonging the life of your piece by doing that. Good instincts.

I'll speak up a little on the issue of cracking glass. None of my Gn0mes showed any signs of stress, but that's may be because a very disconnected and distinctly part-time glass blowing hobby over the last few years has led me to appreciate that even heating is very necessary. I've read many of Gn0me's posts elsewhere on the net and have developed a very large (no exaggeration) admiration and respect for Calen. That having been said, I think a recommendation for a gradual, even, rotational, consistent method to heating the heat exchanger should be made.

Many members have talked about (and filmed) a method where they just heat one 1" section, on one side, of the heat exchanger. That's murder on any glass, or any medium really, and is probably leading to a less efficient vaporization as well. In glass blowing, you bring the entire body of glass up to heat as gently and gradually as possible - you start with the piece way out in the tip of the flame while always rotating, and then gradually bring it in closer to the hotter part of the flame, so that an entire section is brought up to heat, so that your goal is to (to beat a dead horse in the hopes of saving your glass) gradually and gently heat the whole section until it is up to temperature.

I don't see why any given well-made Gn0me vape shouldn't last for decades (or perhaps even centuries) as long it is heated gradually, gently and thoughtfully. I'm relatively convinced Calen is a glass ninja/philosopher-king, and I imagine he's checking all his work with a polariscope, and the lion's share of broken Gn0mes are the result of unintentional user abuse.

Sorry about your fallen Gnome TheDude (love Lebowski BTW), and I'd imagine the fall you mentioned onto concrete had everything to do with its death, as tragic as it is. Pretty impressive it didn't just shatter into a thousand pieces when it hit concrete to begin with though, as the Gn0me heat exchanger is pretty damn intricate.

Glass, even borosilicate, is a delicate medium. In all cases, heat it gradually, gently, and consistently on all sides. Whether we're talking about the Gn0me vape, Eclipse vape, vapbong, ubie, vapocane, glass nail or any number of other applicable vapes, heat the glass as I have detailed... Except even more cautiously and gradually.

Let glass that's already hot float in the air or only be in contact with other hot surfaces - contact with cool surfaces causes stress which can lead to instantaneous cracks, something glass blowers sometimes use as a tool.

Nycdeisel

I also believe the even heating has to do with it.

Fred: haha my bad man, i guess i was going just a little too quick with my reply :p

Nycdeisel,
Wow, excellent info Charlie and Fred. This is the kind of discussion we need to be having here. It sounds like I have been unintentionally hard on my GnOme. I just placed an order for a new heating element. Hopefully I will get it soon, and I will start being much more careful with my heating methods.

I agree that Calen seems to know his shit. This little vape is so simple yet works so effectively. That's the mark of true talent right there, IMO. I do wish he would be a little more effective with communication, but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

I want my GnOme back!

TheDudeNextDoor,

Polmol

Oh Sorry DudeNextDoor, that is a huge bummer. Had anyone heard from Calen recently? I sent another request asking for an update on my order about 4 days ago, and have not heard anything back. I am a patient person... but I do kind of feel like almost 40 days from ordering with no product and no communication is not good buisness practices.

Hey there, just wondering if you got it yet?

Polmol,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
No. I have heard absolutely nothing from Calen. No products, no updates, no responses to my inquires on the status of my order. Thanks for asking though.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I got an e-mail from Calen this weekend. He let me know there was an issue in the shipping department. This afternoon my Gnome arrived. I have not had a chance to test it out yet. It looks pretty good though.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I think the lighter I have now is too powerful/hot for the gnome. I don't want to take a chance of thermal shocking the glass. I have one of those big Vector Butane Torches. I could turn it down, but I think even then it still produces a pretty hot flame. I figured a cigar lighter would do the best.

He also included a piece that I am not exactly familiar with. It is a green clear tube with a j/hook design?

Slightly Medicated,

Nycdeisel

Oh. someone posted one of those i believe its the hash pipe! those look pretty cool! nice going :D

And dont worry, i dont think your torch could be bigger then mine
I have a Blazer angled table top gas burner. the flame gets huge on it. just be careful the position the glass is in when the flame is on it. I usually hold it totally horizontally and rotate it slowly over the flame, being careful not to hold the flame too long on one area. I can grip the end with my thumb and fore finger and it doesnt get too hot to touch at the very end.

I rarely ever heat it when its sitting on the bowl and bong, i try not to do that because I can heat it MUCH more evenly in the way i described while im holding it in my fingers

Nycdeisel,

Nycdeisel

Love it. It gets a nice big flame on it, and its very stable and easy to use with the Gnome because it can sit very stable on its own while i just rotate the heat exchanger over it. the angle works very well with it too. a very classy looking, and sturdy feeling torch. I would highly recommend it for this vape, but you may be good in the torch department right now :p

Nycdeisel,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Love it. It gets a nice big flame on it, and its very stable and easy to use with the Gnome because it can sit very stable on its own while i just rotate the heat exchanger over it. the angle works very well with it too. a very classy looking, and sturdy feeling torch. I would highly recommend it for this vape, but you may be good in the torch department right now :p

How is the angle for lighting Ti Nails on top of down stems and stuff? do you have to pick it up then? i figured it would not be very tall. That is why I have been holding off on purchasing it. I figured it would not be the right height.

Here is what I got:

7681320860_0fb39ecf02_z.jpg

You think the green thing is the hash vaporizer? I guess I need to go back through the thread and read up on how to use it.

Slightly Medicated,

Nycdeisel

My buddy BittenBagel posted his pictures on here recently, and he got one of the hash pipes too. Im not exactly sure as for use.

I dont think it would be very good for heating nails, because of the angle, you would have to tilt it so much i am not even sure it would be safe.

Nice set you got there, i like the green colors.

Nycdeisel,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I have two ideas on how to use the hash pipe :p . One is that you fill the forward section with hash and heat the glass..(even preheat and dab would work too with some concentrates ) and the second one is to use it as a straw for consuming concentrates out on a metal pin ..

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom