***Gamers*** What are you playing?

florduh

well if anyone curious or into preorders for Valve's 'Steam Deck' ships out in December 2021.

Gaming on a 7 inch screen doesn't really sound too fun to me. But... they made a surprisingly powerful gaming PC for the tiny form factor. Enough power to play AAA games at 720p. People seem to really like the Switch, and this thing seems better in every way.

Last edited:

Marlon Rando

Gaming on a 7 inch screen doesn't really sound too fun to me. But... they made a surprisingly powerful gaming PC for the tiny form factor. Enough power to play AAA games at 720p. People seem to really like the Switch, and this seems thing seems better in every way.
Agreed however the market is there, and regarding the Deck being a Nintendo Switch killer may or may not be a deal breaker, Nintendo has there own niche market, but Valve and Steam have an amazing device here and a cult like following.

Marlon Rando,
Reactions: LesPlenty

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I think the Deck is defiently interesting and Valve always has my interest when they release something. I'm unsure about the memory though 512gb goes pretty fast when your games are at least 60gb a piece and that's the highest end model. I also think some games will be more suited to being played on the Deck than others. I smile seeing Doom Eternal in the product photos, that would be a bitch of a game to play on the Deck at any of the higher difficulty settings.

mc

I think the Deck is defiently interesting and Valve always has my interest when they release something. I'm unsure about the memory though 512gb goes pretty fast when your games are at least 60gb a piece and that's the highest end model. I also think some games will be more suited to being played on the Deck than others. I smile seeing Doom Eternal in the product photos, that would be a bitch of a game to play on the Deck at any of the higher difficulty settings.
It's an NVME.m2 slot, pretty sure you can throw a larger hard drive in there.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I'm excited about it. I reserved a 256GB version the other day.

I know that's not a huge amount of space, but it has a Micro SD card expansion slot, and you can get Micro SD cards these days up to at least 1TB. And you can have multiples of those. So you can get as much storage space as you need.

I like that you can connect it to an external display, with a keyboard, mouse, and use it like a full PC with whatever OS you want to install...including it's native Linux-based OS.

It's only downside is not being upgradable, hardware-wise. However, since they are making this system so open source, it wouldn't surprise me if some 3rd party started selling upgraded boards for it down the road, if the deck is successful enough to have a market for that.

Yeah, I think I want one. Though, I paid for the reservation a little too late to get into the Q1 release, because those sold out quick. But I did get in the Q2 release. So the upside to that is that I should get some time to hear the Q1 reviews before I have to pull the trigger.

florduh

I have a friend who pre ordered a Deck because he'd love to play PC games, but doesn't want to drop 4 figures on a gaming PC. And the Deck is a tiny, full fledged PC. I do wonder how it would perform connected to a TV or monitor. All of the stats I've heard are about gaming at 720p.

attackpoints

I put in a pre-order for the 256gb one myself, but am also in Q2. At first I was struggling to justify not just pre-ordering the base model but then I thought about how big my steam library is...it probably makes more sense for me than getting a ps5. Plus being a pc means plenty of emulators will work on it. It feels like a successor to the ps vita.

Here's hoping it's actually good!

Here is Clip, last few minutes they discuss the hardware and potential upgrades.
I am so excited for what this will do in terms of accessibility into PC gaming. My younger cousin waited years to get a PC, which im proud of him for but if this were around he could have been on and playing with his friends sooner! Huge fan of anything that pushes the boundaries of the space towards the consumer

florduh

Ok this thing does look pretty damn cool.

I bought a gaming laptop a few months back. Mostly because I wanted to play AAA PCVR games with my Oculus. But a gaming laptop alone is well over $1000. Around $800 will get you a Steam Deck and an Oculus Quest. Sure, that wouldn't get you top tier graphics in VR or 2D. But shit, I could've bought an Oculus, a Steam Deck, AND a PS5 for what I paid for just a gaming laptop and Oculus. Oh well. I can write off the laptop as a business expense. The PS5 would be a harder sell :lol:

I'm not personally sold on the Steam Deck, but I'll certainly be watching its career with great interest.

Marlon Rando

I am so excited for what this will do in terms of accessibility into PC gaming. My younger cousin waited years to get a PC, which im proud of him for but if this were around he could have been on and playing with his friends sooner! Huge fan of anything that pushes the boundaries of the space towards the consumer
yep, me thinks ValvE literally just bitch slapped the Console industry with this. props

MyCollie

I'm having fun with "The Room" on my Oculus.

I also like AltSpaceVR. It's a lot of fun but I'm really waiting for FaceBook Horizions to be available to everyone.

Ramahs

I'm having fun with "The Room" on my Oculus.

I also like AltSpaceVR. It's a lot of fun but I'm really waiting for FaceBook Horizions to be available to everyone.

I remember playing The Room on my phone years ago.
I imagine that would be lots of fun in VR!

i would love to try an Oculus but i'll be dammed if they are going to force me into a Facebook account

Why would a facebook account be required? I don't own a VR setup myself, but I have friends who own Oculus', and also refuse to use social media.

I remember playing The Room on my phone years ago.
I imagine that would be lots of fun in VR!

Why would a facebook account be required? I don't own a VR setup myself, but I have friends who own Oculus', and also refuse to use social media.
https://support.oculus.com/fb/ idk if that link will work but like 6 months ago or so they made the change, first it was supposed to be in the future at some point and then they said sike make a FB account NOW

DennisFlonasal,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

https://support.oculus.com/fb/ idk if that link will work but like 6 months ago or so they made the change, first it was supposed to be in the future at some point and then they said sike make a FB account NOW

Hmmm. I did not know that. Thanks for taking the time to post the link.

Oculus is owned by FB now, so I guess that makes sense.

If I was forced to make a social networking account that I didn't want, I'd just make an anonymous account that is not tied to me. Problem solved.

Regardless, there are plenty of other brands of VR equipment setups out there other than Oculus that I could get if the FB thing was a deal-killer for me.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I've been having fun playing through the Quake re-release, lots of content for $10 and its cool to see a classic game updated especially since it was before my time originally.

710yota,

florduh

n8f2fsi3ifl71.jpg

masonjars

I’ve been getting into a new space combat sim called Hunternet: Starfighter. It’s still in pre-alpha, but has a really exciting 6dof flight model. I’d recommend this to any fan of Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, SW: Squadrons (or any other Star Wars flight sim really), Descent (not a flight sim, but combat has some slight similarities), IL2, etc.

masonjars,
Reactions: florduh
Top Bottom