***Gamers*** What are you playing?

MyCollie

Anyone playing Little Nightmares 2? I was hoping it would have been co-op. I bought it but haven’t played it yet. I was focusing on RDR2 online. Now I’ve switched to the Oculus for a while.

MyCollie,

MyCollie

What do you all feel about the "grind" with respect to multiplayer / online games. I'm thinking of games like GTAV and RDR2. Basically, just doing dailies and tasks that help you level up and earn money. I've been player RDR2 with a friend and we both just started grinding it and crushing it several nights a week for about an hour and a half. We were running bounties, delivering goods and moonshine, doing the occasionally task, etc. However, it became just that - doing the same thing over and over and over. again It got to the point where I can run level one and two bounties back to jail or the prison wagon with no problem whatsoever and usually level three bounties too. I nail them with the bolos and it's game over. I don't really do the competitions and I'm no good at PVP and I'm not sure I have a desire to be. GTAV is a shit fest with regards to what I hear on the mic. Plus, with a bunch of 7 year olds flying around on oppressors it's just not worth playing unless you can get a solo lobby. Maybe I should just stick to story mode and move on to the next game.

Tranquility

Anyone have any short-play games that are fun? Something where you only have an hour or so without something to do and want to get some play in without having to get up to speed again if you hadn't played in a while. My games right now tend to 4E strategy-type games and it can take an hour just to figure out where you are if you hadn't played in a while.

Shooters are fun, but my twitches are much slower than in the past. I tried Doom, but that was just crazy. Bioshock and like require you to remember key strokes if you change from game to game and, if you don't have the time, the sweep of the story gets a bit jumbled.

While, like @MyCollie, I don't care much for the grind of some games (RPG picking flowers to make the potion to hack the thing.) I don't play with others much so prefer things you can play on your own as well.

funny-gaming-memes34.jpg

Marlon Rando

@Tranquility
sure some here will appeal to your slow twitches.

SquirrelMaster

What do you all feel about the "grind" with respect to multiplayer / online games. I'm thinking of games like GTAV and RDR2. Basically, just doing dailies and tasks that help you level up and earn money. I've been player RDR2 with a friend and we both just started grinding it and crushing it several nights a week for about an hour and a half. We were running bounties, delivering goods and moonshine, doing the occasionally task, etc. However, it became just that - doing the same thing over and over and over. again It got to the point where I can run level one and two bounties back to jail or the prison wagon with no problem whatsoever and usually level three bounties too. I nail them with the bolos and it's game over. I don't really do the competitions and I'm no good at PVP and I'm not sure I have a desire to be. GTAV is a shit fest with regards to what I hear on the mic. Plus, with a bunch of 7 year olds flying around on oppressors it's just not worth playing unless you can get a solo lobby. Maybe I should just stick to story mode and move on to the next game.
GTA Online is really slow for advancing. At least right now you can make a million a month, on PS anyways. If you have a group of people to play with its fun but it just takes a long time to make money. There's a reason it's the most profitable entity in media, they really push you to buy shark cards. I personally never have and if you go the other route with a mod menu it takes the fun away from grinding. Filling a lobby with good players is key, then it's a blast. I just cruise around in my Deluxo when I pick it up every few months.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've not had a system since I got the red ring of death on my xbox many years ago... I gave up on gaming and spent the next 15- 20 years building giant remote controlled aircraft.

I've been ruminating over getting another console, and have been leaning HARD towards a Nintendo for it portability and nostalgic game titles (Mario, Zelda, MarioKart, etc.), but I've been on the fence for years and never seemed to make the jump.

This past holiday weekend, I had the opportunity to play with an Oculus and think I am hooked! Am I crazy to abandon plans on Nintendo/traditional console and go this route?

Feedback is welcome, though I admit I already pulled the trigger and Oculus2 should arrive via Amazon before 10pm tonight!

Are there many Oculus users on this thread?
Please post up any recommendations and favorite titles :rockon:

florduh

I haven't gamed since I was a teenager. So, like the PS2 era. But on a whim about 2 months ago, I picked up an Oculus Quest 2. The first time I used it, I was blown away. It was like showing an iPhone to someone from the 19th century. Growing up with Start Trek TNG, I can't really explain how tickled I am to have my very own Holodeck.

Fast forward to today, I now own a gaming PC after using nothing but Apple for 20 years. When my girlfriend works nights, I'm wandering through the lands of SkyrimVR for hours. There are health benefits too. Some of these games can get your heart rate up. Would I rather spend 30 minutes on an elliptical or frantically murdering zombies? Not a tough choice for me.

@FlyingLow what kind of games do you like? How "physical" do you want to get? There's a shooter called "Aim XR" that was free and still may be. It's sort of like Call of Duty. Pavlov is another good one in that genre. Do you have a PC that can handle games well? Airlink now lets you wirelessly play PCVR games.

Oh, and VR plus weed? *chef's kiss.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Super Hot was the first one I tried and loved it!
Interested in purchasing that one, and also Call of Duty.

I am also curious about Population One and The Climb, and will likely also get Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy's Edge.

I had high expectations for Jurassic, but the trailer video does not look that compelling.

I'd welcome any more free game recommendations too.

Do you have any accessories you favor? I am contemplating a docking station or a carry case for storage... carry case is probably more practical.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Ramahs

florduh

I've only heard good things about Population One.

I'd suggest the Vader series before Tales from the Galaxy's Edge. I don't like the way a lot of these games put out very short experiences, then release another Episode (essentially, the next "level") and make you pay all over again. The Vader games give you a lightsaber dojo, so there's a lot of replay value.

Search "Demo" on the Oculus store and download all of them.

It's pricey, but Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is outrageously good. I mean it looks like a Ps4 game, to me. But it's running on a pair of goggles strapped to your face. Wild.

Most of my accessory budget went to making the thing comfortable. I thought the original trap felt like a medieval torture device (I guess my head is huge). After expensive trial and error, I settled on the Elite Strap with a battery counterweight in the back. Now it feels no worse than wearing a hat.

I do at least suggest getting rechargeable AA's for the controllers. They devour batteries.

Honestly, for a $299 mobile gaming system, I'd suggest the Oculus over something like a Switch. Exceeded my expectations.

Tranquility

I HATE giving up information for free. I don't even fill out an drop in a fish bowl those cards to enter a free raffle. (Although my wife has some level of "rewards" at each store in town, go figure.) Oculus will probably never be in my quiver of things to do. For those who get a twinge over the relationship with Facebook, here's a few tips for the future:

Where to Change Quest 2 Privacy Settings and See Your VR Data Collected by Facebook

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
LOL that was the first thing I did!
Not sending any info back... though I am sure they have their means.

How frequently are there no releases on this platform?

I am going to swing by a store today for some rechargeable batteries for the grips, and likely grab a case... though I am tempted to get the upgraded head strap/battery/case bundle.

I drained my battery quickly last night [twice], and also can see the benefit of the counterweight of the battery pack. Had a little neck strain at the end of the session.

Last edited:

florduh

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the whole Facebook thing. I didn't have an account, so I created one with my real name. Locked down every privacy setting and added exactly one post, "Hey Facebook mods! I created this account because my new Oculus requires it. No offense but I don't plan on using this profile much. If you have any concerns, please message or email me before taking action against this account. Thanks!"

As much as I hate Zuck buying out Oculus, it has its advantages. The Quest 2 is easily a $1000 headset. And I think it's worth that price point. But that's way outside of "impulse purchase" territory, for me. I was willing to risk $299 though. And so were millions of other people (and counting). One of the biggest problems in VR is getting developers to spend time creating content for it. A bigger customer base will help with that. Of course, Zuck isn't doing this "for the good of VR". He's subsidizing the Quest so Facebook can dominate VR.

I might be willing to buy a more expensive, Facebook-free headset. Even if it couldn't run games natively, since I play mostly PC VR stuff now. But the Quest has convinced me wireless is the way to go. And right now, it's the only viable totally wireless option.

Edit:

How frequently are there no releases on this platform?

@FlyingLow Pretty often. And it's getting faster, so now was a good time to jump in. Resident Evil 4 is the big upcoming title. Also if you're looking for more content, try Sidequest. You can side load games that aren't on the Oculus store yet. There are also some cool ports of 2d games. "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", a game I remember playing around the turn of the century, looks really good.

I drained my battery quickly last night [twice], and also can see the benefit of the counterweight of the battery pack. Had a little neck strain at the end of the session.

Yeah I think the Quest is pretty front heavy. There's a lot of electronics in the headset. A counterweight, despite making the whole thing heavier, balances out the headset, making the whole thing more comfortable. The Elite Battery strap wasn't available 2 months ago, so I got the regular Elite and attached this battery setup to it.

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
$140 after tax and I got the bundle, travel case, head strap + battery. Headstrap is much more comfortable and having a case was critical (any case). I prefer the case over the dock as it will keep the lenses better shielded from light.

STOKED to hear about Wolfenstein! Let's go kill some fuckin nazis!

stonedmallone

It becomes a part time job if you want to play those types of games effectively and to their potential unfortunately. I have played GTA intermittently since launch and obviously have everything at this point. I have been playing mainly with my buddy, and we are pretty much at the same point. Our other friends have recently started playing within the last year and half or so and it was a slow grind for them. It helps to have us, but they don't have the time to put in the grunt work to get all the shit they needed. We are all finally in good spots now, and now it's really fun now that we are all in GTA retirement lol.
GTA Online is really slow for advancing. At least right now you can make a million a month, on PS anyways. If you have a group of people to play with its fun but it just takes a long time to make money. There's a reason it's the most profitable entity in media, they really push you to buy shark cards. I personally never have and if you go the other route with a mod menu it takes the fun away from grinding. Filling a lobby with good players is key, then it's a blast. I just cruise around in my Deluxo when I pick it up every few months.
GTA is so much fun if you have a good crew and you don't HAVE to grind. I don't mind doing sell missions for fun, but when my buddies were doing missions and they NEEDED the money, it was stressful lol... People are so toxic in that game. I go out of my way to help low levels and anyone sell just because of how difficult my come up was lol.
Been playing Returnal on PS5. A fabulous title one of the best releases currently on PS5 along with Demon Souls. 👍
I need to play this. I downloaded it, played it once, had a good time then just never played it again. Idk why, I even love rogue like games. Hades was one of my favorite games!

Shadooz

⭐ Risk of rain 2, with artifacts of sacrifice and swarms ⭐

+ : dynamic tps gameplay (with the artifacts), i normally don't like tps but not this one. It's just a stress reliever carnage,... until u get OS..

- : too random rogue like, u OS or get OS...
(if luck is never with u, like me, play with artifact of command. it breaks the dynamic, but when u come many times to the last boss, with no dps, and get OS... u stop playing with luck)
Still less random than hades.
They put that "randomness difficulty" because of the few "biomes" they made, not even generated, always the sames...
The way developpers increase the play time is awfull ourdays

Shadooz,
Top Bottom