• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Efest%2B3000mAh.jpg

That's a cell I want in my high draw devices! Great link @MM1968 Thanks!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
This is a great resource for checking battery performance.

The graphs are all Torchy's personal testing rather than manufacturers claimed performance.

Looks similar to “The Battery Mooch” testing. Folks that actually TEST batteries and their published ratings. Most of us know there are fakes, re-wraps etc. out there, and lithium batteries can be dangerous. While in many cases these BOGUS batteries are just a money rip off, in rare cases they can injure and harm you. Read up on ECig manual mods, were it’s up to the user to monitor the battery, no electronic battery safety protocols. This is one scenario you see on the news, when they become pipe bombs. I always read the test results from Mooch, then pay FULL price from the few trusted vendors that make an effort to NOT sell clones and rewraps. Or you could save a few bucks, and risk blowing your face off, or just a nice fire you can’t put out with the SPECIAL fire extinguisher, nobody has.....

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail - or confirm the cells capacity upon receipt to confirm it is genuine including IR testing. All the more reason to have an analytical charger.

Yes, I have such a unit that will test capacity of such cells as well as an IR meter. (IR readings are only useful if you can find the spec sheets for them, otherwise you results are “in house” only)

But most causal vapors don’t want to become scientists or electrical engineers, or GEEKS like us. Therefore my advice still stands, BUY from quality vendors, and DON’T try to save a few bucks when it comes to lithium batteries.

There are probably more fakes and clones out there then the real deal, sad but true in my experience.

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I thought I'd offer up a couple thoughts since I can do direct comparisons. 15mm coil on my FD and 16mm coil on my Flix. I've had my FD a year+ and my Flix around a month and a half. I use mostly Ti tips but my Shadow M SS tip is also in the rotation.

I love them both. The 15mm FD is responsive. I love the flavorful hits just before the cap clicks and dip and sip to keep it in that range as long as possible. Fun to play with.

The 16mm Flix is very consistent. Great hits every time and more forgiving if you heat a bit longer than you should. Super easy every time. Easy to recommend this one, anyone can use it.

I have a question for the experts. The cord from the AC/DC adapter to plug into the back of the Flix is about 3.5' long. Can I get a mini plug extension cord to run from that to the back plug in on the Flix? We keep it in our den and it'd be nice to move it from the end table to the coffee table for accessibility without dragging the huge adapter along. That thing is seriously big.

(that's what she said)

Thanks.

mb

Planck

believes in Dog
What is the most subdued led option?
Can the acrylic trim ring on the flix be removed?

Planck,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
What is the most subdued led option?
Can the acrylic trim ring on the flix be removed?

I can build one with no LEDs or anything in between, just tell me what you want in an email (fluxerheaters@gmail.com) when you place your order. Yes, the plastic insert can be omitted, or it can be retained and you can omit the LED inside it. I can also omit the LEDs under the coil if you'd like.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the write up, @Moses Baca !

I have a question for the experts. The cord from the AC/DC adapter to plug into the back of the Flix is about 3.5' long. Can I get a mini plug extension cord to run from that to the back plug in on the Flix? We keep it in our den and it'd be nice to move it from the end table to the coffee table for accessibility without dragging the huge adapter along. That thing is seriously big.

Yes, you can do that. Use an extension with the thickest gauge wire you can find, as thinner wire will add resistance and generate heat. 5' or so is probably the limit - you will need to see how well it performs.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Moses Baca - ...and watch the connector size. You might need an adapter or two to make them all play nice. 2.1mm is more common than 2.5mm but a lot of male-2.1 are 2.5 compatible. 18 gauge is recommended. There is consideration to do this with a Caldron to tame it some. We're up to 10' LOL. I did get some of the 5.5mm x 2.1mm cables at 6.5 feet and they are nice if not a little stiff as can be imagined. The male end appears to be 2.5 compatible. These were from Amazon.

Moses Baca

Thanks. I'm searching right now and was about to check on the 2.1 vs 2.5mm plug compatibility. One meter will even give us more options, as long as it's not too stiff.

Moses Baca,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Carp, I lied, it was Fleabay... This link

Very fast delivery!

And I have to plug these guys because they are great and they are local - https://www.pchcables.com/dc2matodc2fe.html
...that can go from your power adapter's 2.5mm male to the extention cable female.

And I believe @mr_cfromcali included a 2.1mm female to 2.5mm male adapter in case the extension cable is not 2.5mm compatible. I suspect it is but would be great to confirm.

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Yes, it came with an adapter but I always prefer not using extra pieces if possible. More connections, more problems.

Here's three I found. The Amazon one says 2.1 but the reviews all say it's 2.5. The Jameco ones are cheaper, though, and I'm thinking straight plug instead of 90*.

COOLM 1M Power Extension Cable 3.3ft 5.5mm x 2.1mm Female to Male DC 12V Adapter Extension Cord for CCTV Security Camera
DC Extension Cable 2.5mm Male/Female 3' Straight Plugs Black 18AWG
DC Power Extension Cable 2.5 x 5.5 mm Plug to Jack 3 Feet

We can take this to PM if this is getting too far off topic. Thanks.

Moses Baca,

Moses Baca

Thanks for the write up, @Moses Baca !

Thanks. I'm just trying to give a little back since I've got some experience with your fine creations. Your descriptions on your website are pretty accurate, middle-of-the-road fits the 16mm very well.

A long time ago you also likened the smaller coils to driving a stick shift and larger coils to an automatic. That's a great analogy, too, and fits how I was attempting to describe them. I've been vaping pretty much all day, though, so getting my thoughts written clearly is a bit of a struggle right now. :freak:

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Flix battery packs - one idea

Several people have asked me about using the Flix with a battery pack, and I want to share a solution I am developing to make this easy to do.

There are a lot of ways to make a 12V battery pack, and most will work well for powering the Flix as long as they are 10A capable, so if this solution isn't your cup of tea, no big deal, there are other solutions out there. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, however, and this battery pack is easy to pull off, which what I think makes it appealing. :brow:

I looked over what's already available, and discovered that DeWalt Tools makes a series of sturdy, self-contained 12V lithium-ion battery packs that are excellent for our needs, in sizes from 2000mAh to 7000mAh! Third party companies also make replacement batteries in this size, so there are a lot of good, cheap battery packs available with this same connector. This connector is easy to repurpose for our needs, and I think that's also a big plus for this.

The batteries on question are the Dewalt DB120 series. A two-pack of 3000mAh batteries that are DB120-compatible are available on Amazon for around $30:

61jJRCZBOKL._AC_SL1157_.jpg

2-Pack 3000mAh 12V Replace for Dewalt Battery, Lithioum-ion Battery for Dewalt DCB120, DCB127, DCB123
by VANON Direct: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW1JFZR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_vtEfFb2GHPMM8

The appropriate battery chargers are ~$26:

DCB112 12V 20V MAX Lithium Ion Battery Charger for Dewalt DCB206 DCB205 DCB204 DCB203 DCB201 DCB120 DCB127, Replace for DCB107 DCB105 DCB101 DCB115 by Girapow-NA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ69TLF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ABEfFbMH2VEE5

So for around $60, you get two 3000mAh battery packs and a charger. That's about $10 more than you'd pay for six bare 18650 batteries and a NiteCore charger, but it isn't too bad.

The connection to the battery pack for testing and proof-of-concept purposes is clear and easy, and only requires a 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC pigtail and two male spade connectors. This is the proof of concept, which works great by the way:

IMG-0006-private.jpg

That's fine as a proof-of-concept, but it's DIY is showing, so I have something better in mind for Flix owners. :brow:

This is a paper mock-up of the consumer-friendly version, which will take the above idea and package it as a dock for the battery pack, allowing you to use a male-to-male cable to connect the two:

IMG-0003-private.jpg

The breakout boards have four parts in total and should be no more than $5 each. :rockon:

I've ordered some first drafts of the breakout board/battery dock and expect those here within a week. It may take a second revision to get the placement of the tabs and holes "just exactly perfect", but I'm pretty happy with this as a robust solution for Flix portability, and think it will give people who want to take their Flix on the road a drama-free option for doing that.

That's all for now - back to making Flix.

Happy Monday!

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I bet a 3D printed "connector" could be the bomb!

You are correct as usual, @TommyDee , a 3D printed version could be really great. There are 3D printed docks for this battery (eBay example) - but they're about $15, which is kinda pricey. I think the PCB version I came up with should also work pretty well. I'll know more when the boards get here :D

TommyDee

Vaporitor
LOL yea, I meant a pretty one :whip: ...with a proper 3-6' 18 gauge cord attached. Basically a cable with a DeWalt connector. A PCB would be the right way to make the connections inside.

Nice idea for the Flix @mr_cfromcali . All the BMS and charger crap is really is a lot of effort as you well know. Disconnecting from the wall - priceless!

While we're at it, we could put the 200W Variable DC-DC converter on the board :rockon:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

Flix battery packs - one idea

Several people have asked me about using the Flix with a battery pack, and I want to share a solution I am developing to make this easy to do.

There are a lot of ways to make a 12V battery pack, and most will work well for powering the Flix as long as they are 10A capable, so if this solution isn't your cup of tea, no big deal, there are other solutions out there. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, however, and this battery pack is easy to pull off, which what I think makes it appealing. :brow:

I looked over what's already available, and discovered that DeWalt Tools makes a series of sturdy, self-contained 12V lithium-ion battery packs that are excellent for our needs, in sizes from 2000mAh to 7000mAh! Third party companies also make replacement batteries in this size, so there are a lot of good, cheap battery packs available with this same connector. This connector is easy to repurpose for our needs, and I think that's also a big plus for this.

The batteries on question are the Dewalt DB120 series. A two-pack of 3000mAh batteries that are DB120-compatible are available on Amazon for around $30:

61jJRCZBOKL._AC_SL1157_.jpg

2-Pack 3000mAh 12V Replace for Dewalt Battery, Lithioum-ion Battery for Dewalt DCB120, DCB127, DCB123
by VANON Direct: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW1JFZR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_vtEfFb2GHPMM8

The appropriate battery chargers are ~$26:

DCB112 12V 20V MAX Lithium Ion Battery Charger for Dewalt DCB206 DCB205 DCB204 DCB203 DCB201 DCB120 DCB127, Replace for DCB107 DCB105 DCB101 DCB115 by Girapow-NA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ69TLF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ABEfFbMH2VEE5

So for around $60, you get two 3000mAh battery packs and a charger. That's about $10 more than you'd pay for six bare 18650 batteries and a NiteCore charger, but it isn't too bad.

The connection to the battery pack for testing and proof-of-concept purposes is clear and easy, and only requires a 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC pigtail and two male spade connectors. This is the proof of concept, which works great by the way:

IMG-0006-private.jpg

That's fine as a proof-of-concept, but it's DIY is showing, so I have something better in mind for Flix owners. :brow:

This is a paper mock-up of the consumer-friendly version, which will take the above idea and package it as a dock for the battery pack, allowing you to use a male-to-male cable to connect the two:

IMG-0003-private.jpg

The breakout boards have four parts in total and should be no more than $5 each. :rockon:

I've ordered some first drafts of the breakout board/battery dock and expect those here within a week. It may take a second revision to get the placement of the tabs and holes "just exactly perfect", but I'm pretty happy with this as a robust solution for Flix portability, and think it will give people who want to take their Flix on the road a drama-free option for doing that.

That's all for now - back to making Flix.

Happy Monday!

Thats how I power my mobile TS100 soldering iron, except I needed the 18 volt packs. These came with a Dewalt drill. After market battery packs, “may” contain “mystery” 18650’s, be advised....

0C2BB6FF-FEC6-41D5-92A4-E0D45E43B5B6.jpeg

Mono Loco

Three cheers for Mr. C., "Hip-Hip-Hooray ... Hip-Hip-Hooray ... Hip-Hip-Hooray". Talk about PROactive C.S. ... he goes out of his way to keep us happy.
Sure, this battery solution option is not earth-shattering, but it IS convenient, especially for those who might already have the target batteries. Thank you for your continued efforts and product development - it's not only nice for what it is, but it's a refreshing positive focal point that helps counter all the negativity surrounding us during this pandemic ... good news is always good news, and you are a shining light in the darkness ... corny, maybe, but sincere.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I bet a 3D printed "connector" could be the bomb!

3D printing is the bomb in general. Anything you can think up can be made in a few hours.

There are actually a lot of these designs posted on Thingiverse. If you search there for the battery type a few should pop up. Their are quite a few for dewalt as it's pretty popular. A custom design would probably be better, if someone wanted to put the time into making one though.

scy123,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Oh but I do design and enjoy it.
Don't have any DeWally stuff though.

But I can make a variable voltage power head for a pack for about $15 on the manufacturing end.
Basically what I'm working on with a different battery.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Planck

boombastik

Flux delux uses three batteries. Flix plug in.

Is the idea possible for an induction device to work only using 1-2 batteries or 1-2 batteries simply isn’t powerful enough?

I’m not a continuous smoker That’s why I’m wondering.

boombastik,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
A designer can tune to a specific target working with available power sources. Adding variable voltage to the Flix adds control over bake time but keep a [fairly] consistent click temperature. This give molecules a bit more time to escape the plant matter.

TommyDee,

boombastik

Sounds like your talking about the regulated AC/DC adapter which I like that idea.

just wondering possible if a device could work with only 1-2 batteries at most (AA size like used in FD)

and if 1 AA (3000mah etc..) battery Is possible I wonder how long it would last with like a 16mm coil

boombastik,
Top Bottom