Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

D_tokes

Ah ok that makes sense. I wonder if some tiny contacts would work, that way minimal heat conduction should occur? I'll will have to experiment when my parts arrive :)

D_tokes,

Mypd1991

So, figured I’d get us back on track in the thread and give you all an update on my FD after a month of use.

I frigin’ love this thing! It is my first (and probably only) IH, so a lot of the love is just having an IH.
But the FD works great. I got the care package from @mr_cfromcali and was able to put in the glass thingy. It did take a few minutes but only because it’s a small space to work with. It is clicked in place and the performance has not changed. All good.

I am using my VC far more than before, and the taste is consistently excellent. So far, not a single combustion incident with the FD (and I def had a few when using the torch).

I find I like using the SS tip more than the Ti. It has a little more forgiveness on timing and I can sometimes even get two hits from same heat up.
I am very happy with the 16 mm coil, for the same “forgiving” reason. I don’t want to have to do any excessive “thinking” while using it, so if I go a second or two over, it doesn’t matter.

The “better than nothing” battery gauge is helpful, thanks Mr C for so generously sending! As soon as I got it, I plugged it in and it didn’t work... coincidentally, my batteries were dead. When I put them on the charger, they were at 3.04 v. Probably a lot lower than advised! So now I will be able to recharge in a more healthy manner for batteries. And once I charged the batteries, the gauge worked.

I added a couple of stickers to the inside of my lid (sorry, I really like the minimalist look and didn’t want to add any outside stickers. But I love the logo!) I am proud to have FD #12!

Bottom line, loving my FD. Be patient and have trust in Mr C and soon you will all be dipping and sipping or going full throttle. Whatever floats your boat.

Ayee, mine is 11.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
A Batch #2 Update of Sorts, Featuring A Warning About Solid State Power Relays and the Joys of Quality Control

As I am sure you guys know, Flux Deluxe Batch #2 has been taking me a while to build out. I have only shipped one (1) heater from batch #2 to date, though more are in progress and close to being done.

The chief reason for this delay is the 25 hours of shop time I've spent in the last week working on a very nasty hardware issue. :bang:

25 hours of shop time is most of my weekly allotment, so I have been doing a hell of a lot more troubleshooting than building of late. Those hours finally bore fruit last night, however, and I have a smoking gun sort of identification for my power relay issue. I now have a cause, and I believe I also have a solution.

The issue: As I mentioned in a few recent posts, I have found that a number of power relays from the last batch I purchased are either DOA or came to me partially failed, with one critical foot already in the grave. I've counted at least 14 bad relays out of the last 20 I've installed. :o :bang::goon::worms::rant:

The first six of those failed consecutively, and let me tell you, that sort of thing is hell to diagnose and REALLY messes with your head. :tinfoil:

The blue, rectangular PCB below is the power relay in question:

IMG-6701-closeup-private.jpg

I will explain the two types of failures I have observed with this relay so far, the steps I have taken to address this situation on my end, and what we can do if your power relay has failed or fails in the future.

But first, what is a relay and what does it do?

Relays are switches that open and close circuits electromechanically or, as in this case, electronically. Relays control one electrical circuit by opening and closing contacts in another circuit. In the Deluxe, the tactile switch is connected to the power relay, so pressing (closing) the tactile switch also closes the relay, allowing high current to flow to the heater. This relay is integral to the design of the Deluxe. It's functionality is more complex than a simple on/off switch.

Types of Power Relay Failures I have Observed:

I have observed two types of power relay failures, Full Failure and Partial Failure. Both failures are fixed by replacing the power relay's MOSFETs, and as far as I know the only way to fix these issues is by MOSFET replacement. Consequently, if your power relay fails you'll need to send the heater back to me for the repair.

Full Failure: This type of failure is obvious - the unit does not work. The "in use" LEDs may or may not light up as if it should be working, but the power relay won't actually send any power to your heater. Basically, "It's dead, Jim."

Partial Failure: This type of failure MAY NOT be obvious if you aren't paying attention, and it's also potentially dangerous: the unit heats up, but it does so from the flip of the power switch, not the press of the tactile switch! :o This occurs when one or both MOSFETs in the power relay fail internally, and allow an internal path to ground where none should exist. This has the effect of bypassing the tactile switch and allowing the heater to unintentionally power up, which it will do until it is stopped by the thermal fuse. Yay, thermal fuse!

Those are the two types of failures I have seen so far on my workbench. There could be more, and if I become aware of more I will share them with you.

How to test your Flux Deluxe for a partial MOSFET failure:

Here is a test you can easily do yourself to see if your unit has a partially failed power relay MOSFET. I am hopeful none of you are affected, but if you are, the repair is very a straightforward chip replacement.

How to test for a partial failure of the power relay:
  1. Make sure the unit is powered off and the coil is cool to the touch.
  2. Rest the Dynavap in the coil with the vapcap installed. Do not depress the tactile switch.
  3. Toggle the On/Off switch to On, but do not depress the tactile switch. Wait 10 seconds or so.
  4. If your vapcap heats up (and clicks!) without pressing the tactile switch, your power relay has partially failed, and you'll need to send your heater to me for repair; I'm sorry. Please send me a PM if this happens, and we will discuss the next steps.
  5. If nothing happens and it just sits there, it's fine.

What I am doing to address this situation:

As I said above, this relay is integral to the design of the Deluxe. Since I depend on it, I need to make it work. To achieve that, I plan on making it stronger by proactively installing better MOSFETs. Going forward, I'm adding a step to the build to replace the questionable factory-installed MOSFETs on the relay PCBs with new, high quality ones I source from a known good source such as Digikey (e.g., these: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=785-1221-1-ND‎). This swap will add a few minutes of build time and about $1 to the cost of each heater, but that will be time and money very well spent (!) if it resolves this issue. I am hopeful that better quality MOSFETs will solve this issue going forward, but I acknowledge we won't really know until we use them and see how they behave. These same relays are widely used in other IH installs, so I believe these are "just" a bad batch of components, but I'll keep my eyes open as I do more research, and will report back if it proves to be otherwise. :sherlock:

I have not seen either of these failures appear in the wild yet - and of course, I hope that continues - but I want to get the info out there so you know what to look for in case your Deluxe starts to act strangely!

That's what I know now.
:nod:

Thanks!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

External Power Supply Update: Oops, I need to walk this one back!

And in more good news, I need to walk back the tip I shared a few days ago about using the Deluxe with an external power supply. :doh:

Please do not use the Deluxe with an external power supply at this time!

The thermal fuse for the Flux Deluxe is wired in series with the B+ battery lead. If you use an external power supply, you bypass the battery completely, and thus also bypass the protection of the thermal fuse. That's not good and NOT recommended!!!

I missed this safety gap at the time I made my previous post, but I see it now and want to bring it to everyone's attention.

Sorry to tease you all, but I'll work on making this a more formal feature in the future.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sigh...I think that's all the news of this sort I have at the moment. :rolleyes:

Happy Thursday afternoon, everyone. :wave:

Last edited:

mario

Thanks for the safety update! I was about to pull the trigger on the charging cable to leave at my desk.

With the qc problem solved does that put anymore delays on batch 2? That’s not a complaint mind you, just a question of what components are going to be where and what safety tips do I need to write down. Lol

Edit: I would like to add that I 100% understand if batch 2 is delayed a bit more for new parts. I’m by no mean trying to rush you or the incredible work you are doing for us.

Last edited:

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the safety update! I was about to pull the trigger on the charging cable to leave at my desk.

With the qc problem solved does that put anymore delays on batch 2? That’s not a complaint mind you, just a question of what components are going to be where and what safety tips do I need to write down. Lol

Edit: I would like to add that I 100% understand if batch 2 is delayed a bit more for new parts. I’m by no mean trying to rush you or the incredible work you are doing for us.

>With the qc problem solved

Well, while I certainly think I have this solved, I won't know for sure until I build some heaters without these issues. Time and testing will either confirm that or send me back looking for a better solution. But yes, if things are as I believe them to be, I think I have found the cause of this issue and have a decent solution for it.

I have 10 pairs of the correct MOSFET on hand, @mario , and another 50 pairs being shipped via Priority Mail (ETA of Saturday or Monday). I am not currently aware of any other delays in my path, beyond completing the regular build steps. So I am not anticipating any additional delays for batch #2. I have five or six heaters that are almost done and ready to ship, so I am hopeful I can get at least some of those out the door tomorrow.*

I'll see how things go tonight, and will post another update tomorrow. I think that's probably the safest statement I can make at the moment. A string of successful builds without any DOAs or other weirdness would make me extremely happy at the moment. It's been that kind of week... :rolleyes:

Cheers!
:leaf:

*BTW - for those wondering about their spot later in the list, of the first 25 names I have approached for batch #2, I have so far received 16 replies (13 yes ; 3 no), while 9 people have not yet replied. I don't want to over interpret, but it does suggest that those of you who really want one are going to see some solid improvements to your positions in the queue. :brow:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
Thanks for the updates, once again! Bummer about the external power supply. I bought two sets of batteries so I should be covered.

Only shipped one from batch #2 so far? I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about it being delayed due to weather. My batteries are charging in hopes it arrives tomorrow or Saturday. First set is nearly ready, second set will go on next so I'll be ready to give it a good workout and review as soon as it arrives.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Sounds good, @Moses Baca ! I tested your power relay before installing it, and also tested the unit after it was built, but it's good practice to keep an eye on the power relay and make sure it behaves as expected. ;)

BTW, I put a 10g packet of desiccant inside the heater to keep the electronics safe - that's what would fit - so I am hopeful it arrives in rust-free :D -55 °F is pretty fucking cold, though. Hopefully it gets there and still works. :nod:

7oli5

Just received they pyrex button and battery indicator from the post office For some reason op wrote 20 dollars on the envelope and they were asking for a receipt to let me take it. They let me get a 200 dollar omniXL and a the 150 dollar IH without asking for customs tax or receipt but now that I didnt pay they are asking for receipt....Then they wonder why the country is bankrupt:shrug:
Anyway, just writing to let other silly people like me know, theres a button on the battery meter you need to press for it to work. I threw the first one away thinking its broken:doh:

Moses Baca

Alright! Let me introduce Flux Deluxe #027!

It was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. Packed well, nothing fancy. This thing looks great. Very tidy, solid, professional. Very impressive. Ok. Let's see how it works.

I went with the 14 mm coil. @mr_cfromcali says it's fast and yowza, it's LIGHTNING fast! First hit, great. Second hit, great. Third hit, oops, I missed the click by a second or so and it's smoking. Ack. LOL, I torched the first bowl! Did I make a mistake? Let's try this again.

I dialed the trim pot down to 50%. It's still fast but that's better. How fast? Well, just by counting (I know, not very scientific) I'm getting a click with my SS tip at 4 seconds from cold and 3 seconds on subsequent clicks. Using my Ti tip I'm around 3 seconds from cold and 2+ seconds after. Basically, it's turned my VCs into instantaneous, on demand vapes. My wife says it's the best investment we've made in vaping. You want a hit? Pow! It's ready! Want another? Bam! No problem! Ah, now I get it when they say 'game changer'!

Ok, what else? Lots of stuff. The click is very tactile. I feel a KA-THUNK much more than hearing the click. I like it, it's easier to notice than the audible clicks. (watching Netflix while writing this and using my FD with no issues)

The video mr_c posted earlier about the ABV is very accurate. 3-4 hits and the bowl is toast. The hits are big and full, first one is flavor, second is full flavor and vapor, third is mostly done, fourth is optional, depending on quality of the third. Similar to results I was getting with a torch, only easier and more consistent.

The magnets that hold the top on work great to hold the VC between hits and the body seems a great heat sink.

Cons? My cap gets a bit stuck from pressing on the bottom button. Not bad but it happens.

So overall...fantastic. We seriously love this thing already and we've only been using it a few hours. The 14 mm coil is great. Respect the click, no need to wait a second or two after to get a good hit. It's very thorough. Efficient.

Also, on the accessories. I don't see the need for the rubber band. The magnets are strong. You'd really have to bang this around to knock the top off. The plug-in charger is not needed. This is a premier IH and the batteries are easily accessible. Use an external charger. It's better. I couldn't get the battery checker to work. I'll go back and watch the video, maybe I'm doing something wrong. The lightweight bag will keep dust and such out but I'll find something that'll offer a bit of protection. I'm sure I've got some little canvas bags or something around.

Quick background--My wife and I had been daily cannabis smokers for, I don't know 15-20 years? I decided to go smoke-free for 2019, researched a bunch, landed on VC and haven't (intentionally) burned anything since 12/3/18, the day our VCs arrived. This is our first IH. We prefer simple stuff that works. Initial impressions on the Flux Deluxe, huge thumbs up! Thanks, @mr_cfromcali !

Questions or comments, let me know. Thanks!

MB

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Yep, super fast and efficient for on the go. My wife made the same comment last night.

I'm being much more leisurely with it this morning--take a hit, sip some coffee, read some news, go back for another hit... and I'm getting more hits per bowl. I haven't tried the dip and sip technique yet but I don't foresee any trouble doing that either.

:tup:

mario

It almost sounds like you are describing my experience with a working grasshopper for the few hours it was working.

Which is incredibly exciting. That's exactly what I love my vapcaps for. I wish I could stop compulsively checking my email. But nay, I cannot.

Ayesosa

Can't wait for my name to come up on list , interested to read about coil differences now have to decide between 14/16

I’m on the list also and can’t choose between 14 & 16. Moses’s review is great (thanks for being honest) and it seems to me like a 14 sounds great for me but would love to hear a honest 16 review. Either way I’m checking my emails as well

Darr1

I’m on the list also and can’t choose between 14 & 16. Moses’s review is great (thanks for being honest) and it seems to me like a 14 sounds great for me but would love to hear a honest 16 review. Either way I’m checking my emails as well
Yea agreed would definitely be good to get some feedback on the 16 , I joined on 1/8 So guessing I'm still awhile away

Traveler

It almost sounds like you are describing my experience with a working grasshopper for the few hours it was working.

Which is incredibly exciting. That's exactly what I love my vapcaps for. I wish I could stop compulsively checking my email. But nay, I cannot.
Amen to that...I can't stop refreshing this page to see if my inbox gets a little 1 on the side :D

mario

I have a desktop IH right now and it completely replaced everything that I use at home. I am pretty sure the FD is going to make my vapcaps replace all my to go stuff as well. I wanted to go all in Grasshoppers, but they all died on me. So I wanted something that wouldn't fail on me. So I started picking up everything Dynavap. I'm slightly concerned. It always seems like there is another custom stem or something I want.

In any case, what I'm saying is, the FD changes everything. A super powered mega portable IH that will be with me everywhere. The most reliable vape with the most reliable heating system. I can't wait.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Real quick update:

Getting some stuff done this weekend.

backing-plates.jpg

Fifty backing plates.

IMG-7204-private.jpg

Eighteen cases in progress in this pic - almost ready.

IMG-7205-private.jpg

One finished so far this weekend...:rolleyes::p

But I am in good spot for making more - most of the prep work is done. Just need to build 'em, lol.

More later,
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom