Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

I haven't done one of the "behind the scenes/how I make stuff" videos in a while, and was thinking we could all use something a bit lighter like that at the moment. :)

Cutting glass inserts to their correct length has been one of the tasks I have continued to refine and improve over time. This video shows how I cut glass inserts to length now, using a custom lathe I designed and built from scratch:

glass-tubing-lathe-private.jpg

This is an update to the original “how I make inserts” post from last year, as my new method is better than the old one, and what the hell, I feel like showing it off. :D Hopefully it makes for an interesting video, all 3 minutes of it, lol:

More info:

I recently completed a project to make the above tool for the shop - a custom built lathe to make it easier to cut better quality glass inserts, with more repeatable results. I hadn't worked with glass tubing prior to making these heaters and don't claim any great skill with the stuff, so I need a method that's simple and repeatable. As I said earlier, there are several ways to cut tubing, and some of those produce better results than this method, but are more difficult for me to do, making them a poorer fit for me, so this is the one I went with.

For the curious, the lathe's headstock is made from a CNC "4th Axis", which came fitted with an ER34 collet chuck. The ER34 collets come in exact sizes and securely hold the 15mm and 16mm tubing stock I use. The headstock has a pass-through, so long stock sticks out the back of it.

The motor is a NEMA 23 stepper motor with an integrated controller, and I built a simple interface to access its control.

The frame is made from 8040 and 40 series aluminum extrusions.

The Dremel is mounted to a cheap XY table, but it works very well for this purpose!

As always, thanks for watching!

Cheers,
:leaf:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I have that Dremel model, and that blade, haven’t cut any glass. Cool rig to get a straight cut. Seems odd with the crazy amount of ECig GLASS juice tanks, that use a variety of widths and heights, that you were unable to source them. As soon as you picked up the cut piece, I was like that’s an ECig glass tank. But I’m sure you tried.

Now get back to WORK.... I don’t know if I’m on “the list”, but crank em out.... :)

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Easywider

Poostuff

Please delete
I finally got on top of the list for one of these.
I’ve only got 2 very early DynaVaps with no airflow cutouts on the endy bit, wait what’s a that called again? Anyway I haven’t enjoyed using either of them with a lighter long term, but this is such a sexy accessory I think it might make me splash out on a new one.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
the new LED, switch, and battery meter options

Hey all,

My turn has finally arrived so I'm in the process of determining what I want to put in my CHERRY wood IH enclosure, BUT, I'm really not sure what the options referenced above do, their pros and cons, etc. :shrug:

Any and all user insight much appreciated!

Fat Freddy,
Reactions: Poostuff

Poostuff

Please delete
Just paid my invoice, I think I ordered glass but don’t remember if I ordered LEDs, but how great do they look!

I just broke in my '19-M tip. Much improved airflow.
I’ve got an early Ed’s TNT woodie & I think the other one is a 2018 M.
Both tips are exactly the same in the way that the ends are flat, but the woodie has shallower groves on the side. Both have terrible draw restriction, I have read this is getting better.

Easywider

Simple is the way
I just watched the video posted above and I think I was confused about the led lights when I ordered. I had assumed(what an ass) the led lights went with glass insert between lid and body and were not for the glass slide for the coil.

My question, I ordered the less expensive base model, does this mean the glass slide the vapcap goes in will not light up when the heater is activated? I think this is my favourite part about my IH is seeing that little slide light up on my PSM.

EDIT: Ahhh, I figured it out, there's an led on the front of the case that lights up when activated.

Last edited:
Easywider,
Reactions: mero614

DnD_Dude

Has anyone had a problem with combustion?

Equipment: Flux Deluxe Base Model with 15mm coil + Ti tip (nonavong)

My limited experience with the Flux Deluxe is that it has a tendency to burn when heating to the 2nd Dynacap click. My solution was to use the low temp cap - huge clouds, great extraction and never any burn. Other than that, I've been using my Flux Deluxe Base Model with 15mm coil for over a week and have enjoyed it immensely. This is my 2nd dynavap induction heater and prefer it over my 1st - Pipes bare bones model (on which I did not experience this issue).

DnD_Dude,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Has anyone had a problem with combustion?

Equipment: Flux Deluxe Base Model with 15mm coil + Ti tip (nonavong)

My limited experience with the Flux Deluxe is that it has a tendency to burn when heating to the 2nd Dynacap click. My solution was to use the low temp cap - huge clouds, great extraction and never any burn. Other than that, I've been using my Flux Deluxe Base Model with 15mm coil for over a week and have enjoyed it immensely. This is my 2nd dynavap induction heater and prefer it over my 1st - Pipes bare bones model (on which I did not experience this issue).
As @lookhigh mentioned, go back a couple of months - @mr_cfromcali explains how you can adjust coil for better results.
Another quick solution might be to remove the tip after the first click - don’t wait for second click. (You May have already tried that, but just in case, wanted to suggest.)

Easywider

Simple is the way
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am officially Fluxing :rockon:
Really digging the size, weight and feel to this one. So smooth and stealthy, the 15mm coil kicks like a mule! I'm really enjoying the aggressiveness.

I feel no need to go past the click, If I did I would probably combust (usually I'm counting 3-5 seconds to get the hit I desire and occasionally combust ) With this aggressive coil I can just go by feel dipping and sipping. The click is now my means of safety instead of a liability if you hear it, pull the fuck out!

I may have to dial it back a bit depending on how my other tips perform, but the one tip I've tried so far is tuned perfectly for me. Very happy with this.

Well done @mr_cfromcali :clap:

idboehman

Eagerly waiting to pay my invoice when it's sent! :D My 2020 VapCap is arriving Saturday (thanks PIU!) but I'll still be waiting on the batteries, ordered from Illumn but they're in San Jose which has been hit harder by Covid in the Bay afaik so it'll probably be mid to late next week before I get them, so while I won't get to use the thing on 4/20 I'll still hopefully get to use it during 4/x/20! :cool:

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Eagerly waiting to pay my invoice when it's sent! :D My 2020 VapCap is arriving Saturday (thanks PIU!) but I'll still be waiting on the batteries, ordered from Illumn but they're in San Jose which has been hit harder by Covid in the Bay afaik so it'll probably be mid to late next week before I get them, so while I won't get to use the thing on 4/20 I'll still hopefully get to use it during 4/x/20! :cool:

Had to deal with some other stuff - “real life” insisted, sheesh - so I’m still completing the current batch. I am working on them now and should have them finished and ready to invoice in a few more hours. Cheers!

idboehman

Anyone know if protected batteries will work? I bought those instead of unprotected accidentally.

well, have my own answer: no, they won't fit.

Last edited:
idboehman,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

I had hoped to have the following ready to announce in time for 4/20, but the pandemic has done a number on my supply line, and it took longer than I anticipated.

Allow me to introduce what I hope will be another solid, well-liked Fluxer device:

Introducing the Flix™, a small desktop IH for Dynavap:

It's coming soon, but it's not ready yet, and in fact, some of the final details are still being worked out. But the device itself is ready, and once the parts get here I hope to begin selling these along side the Flux Deluxe. The device will be less complicated to build, and this will let me price it lower. At present, I anticipate that will be less than US$115, shipping and power supply not included. The Flix will run from any 12VDC, 10A PSU with the correct tip, and these are widely available from Amazon, eBay, AliExpress.com, Banggood.com, Walmart, etc. for $15 to $20 shipped, including a mains plug that is correct for your country. There is no way I can offer them at this price - the weight alone makes shipping of the Flix prohibitive - and I think this will save you about $25 vs what I would need to charge to include one. You can also power the Flix via car battery cigarette lighter adapter, or even from a Flux Deluxe with the right cable. It's a pretty friendly device in that regard.

Anyway, please check it out and let me know what you think. More details - and ordering info - will be coming soon, but for now I just want to let you know that this is going to happen and should start to be available by early or mid June.

Cheers, and thanks as always for your support!
:leaf:

Top Bottom