Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

It’s sure been a weird week in Northern California, and many other places, too. :|

I have plenty of heater parts on hand and will be sending out more “confirmation emails” later today or tonight. I am up to June of 2019, and expect to get through the remainder of the June requests soon.

I realize my recent price increase coupled with the changing economic situation may have placed this device out of reach of many of you, and that absolutely wasn’t my intent. I’ve been giving this a lot of thought, and I have decided to give you the option of purchasing one at a lower price with a shorter warranty period, if you prefer.

The new pricing will be as follows:

Flux Deluxe Standard w/1 year warranty: $195 + shipping, as before.

Flux Deluxe Standard w/6 month warranty: $175 + shipping (new)

Flux Deluxe Base w/1 year warranty: $170 + shipping, as before.

Flux Deluxe Base w/6 month warranty : $150 + shipping (new)

FYI, prices for out of warranty repairs typically run $10 to $15 plus shipping, depending on the repair.

Hopefully these new price points are helpful. They still may not be low enough for some, but it’s something I can do to reduce the barrier to entry.

Thank you, all, for your continued interest and support in these heaters!! I know that many people have had their lives tossed around by the virus and its fallout, and may not be in a position to buy one when I give you the green light to do so. In light of this, I want you to know that once I send you a confirmation email, you can send in your order then or at any time in the future. You can absolutely take a rain check and get back to me when you are ready to complete your order. Or pass completely if you are no longer interested.

Thanks again, everyone! Please stay safe, wash your hands a lot!

Cheers,
:leaf:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Hi all,

It’s sure been a weird week in Northern California, and many other places, too. :|

I have plenty of heater parts on hand and will be sending out more “confirmation emails” later today or tonight. I am up to June of 2019, and expect to get through the remainder of the June requests soon.

I realize my recent price increase coupled with the changing economic situation may have placed this device out of reach of many of you, and that absolutely wasn’t my intent. I’ve been giving this a lot of thought, and I have decided to give you the option of purchasing one at a lower price with a shorter warranty period, if you prefer.

FYI, prices for out of warranty repairs typically run $10 to $15 plus shipping, depending on the repair.

Hopefully these new price points are helpful. They still may not be low enough for some, but it’s something I can do to reduce the barrier to entry.

Thank you, all, for your continued interest and support in these heaters!! I know that many people have had their lives tossed around by the virus and its fallout, and may not be in a position to buy one when I give you the green light to do so. In light of this, I want you to know that once I send you a confirmation email, you can send in your order then or at any time in the future. You can absolutely take a rain check and get back to me when you are ready to complete your order. Or pass completely if you are no longer interested.

Cheers,

Thanks, that’s great. But can you please find the time or person, that can setup your “wait list”, to confirm via email, that one is actually ON a list, via an email confirmation as most sellers do. Waiting for something is one thing, not knowing if you are even on a list, is bad business IMO. I’m still interested, but not sure if my “joining” was ever acknowledged or noted. Thanks.

snamuh

ghost
Thanks, that’s great. But can you please find the time or person, that can setup your “wait list”, to confirm via email, that one is actually ON a list, via an email confirmation as most sellers do. Waiting for something is one thing, not knowing if you are even on a list, is bad business IMO. I’m still interested, but not sure if my “joining” was ever acknowledged or noted. Thanks.
Yeah I think I signed up to be on the list a months ago but I'm not sure if i actually am.

I wonder if there is a free service out there that can set up a wait list automatically...

snamuh,

RustyOldNail

Yeah I think I signed up to be on the list a months ago but I'm not sure if i actually am.

I wonder if there is a free service out there that can set up a wait list automatically...

Certainly not rocket science if it brings in $$$$

RustyOldNail,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Ok, gap noted. I’ll see what I can do to improve my “list addition communication” going forward.

FWIW, historically, if you ever sent me an email asking about my heaters, you are on the Flux Deluxe waiting list. When I assemble a new cohort to notify by email, I start by scraping my fluxerheaters@gmail.com inbox for the time period in question and gather all of the unique email addresses. I combine these email addresses with those of people who are already on the list, de-duplicate the now-combined list, and then send out emails based on date of first contact. In this way I try to include everyone who expressed interest in a heater in a given period of time - as many people as possible. When in doubt I include, not exclude.

The Wordpress template I use for my site doesn’t have a way to keep a proper waiting list, unfortunately, so I’ve been using the tools they do have as best as I can. I’ll see if I can find a better, third-party waiting list tool.

TK; DR: My waiting effectively includes everyone who ever contacted me via email, in the order in which you contacted me. I’m sorry I have not had better waiting list acknowledgement to this point, and as a result many you feel under-notified. I’ll try to do a better job going forward.

Thanks for the feedback. :tup:

RustyOldNail

Ok, gap noted. I’ll see what I can do to improve my “list addition communication” going forward.

FWIW, historically, if you ever sent me an email asking about my heaters, you are on the Flux Deluxe waiting list. When I assemble a new cohort to notify by email, I start by scraping my fluxerheaters@gmail.com inbox for the time period in question and gather all of the unique email addresses. I combine these email addresses with those of people who are already on the list, de-duplicate the now-combined list, and then send out emails based on date of first contact. In this way I try to include everyone who expressed interest in a heater in a given period of time - as many people as possible. When in doubt I include, not exclude.

The Wordpress template I use for my site doesn’t have a way to keep a proper waiting list, unfortunately, so I’ve been using the tools they do have as best as I can. I’ll see if I can find a better, third-party waiting list tool.

TK; DR: My waiting effectively includes everyone who ever contacted me via email, in the order in which you contacted me. I’m sorry I have not had better waiting list acknowledgement to this point, and as a result many you feel under-notified. I’ll try to do a better job going forward.

Thanks for the feedback. :tup:

Ok, you have some sort of email list, doesn’t matter how you collate it, next step, you or helper, creates a new master list. Then, you send out a nice email that not only alerts ALL including those that initially signed up before this new system was put in place. It’s mostly a similar way you have to do it now, when you are looking at your own private list. An added benefit as a seller looking to move product, some emails may bounce back, remember you are almost a year behind whatever list you are still going by, and you can give as many email notifications you decide on, via software, or helper bee. When potential customers respond to the “you are on list, still interested” email, you will have a real time estimate of actual customers. You really have to grasp the delivery end to really succeed. I’m just trying to offer an end buyers viewpoint. I seriously doubt, personally, that I will need, or be interested in your product 6-12 months from now, and that’s a shame for your income, if others decide the same. So I wish you the best of luck.

RustyOldNail,

Baron23

Hi all,

Cheers,
Very thoughtful of you, as always.

I am an Aug sign up and I intend to purchase my standard IH with full warranty....unless this is the beginning of the Zombie apocalypse....but maybe even then! haha

I'm not sure I understand taking a rain check and being able to order at any time in the future. Take as an example, someone in July group but they take a rain check and pop back up in Oct while you are still working off Aug orders. Would these then be slotted in ahead of the existing backlog?

Not really my biz to know this....as long as I am able to make my purchase, its not really my concern how you manage this.

Cheers and keep your head down, your powder dry, and your knees together (oh shit, that last part is advise to my daughter when going out on a date!! Never mind. hahaha jk)

Baron23,

RustyOldNail

Very thoughtful of you, as always.

I am an Aug sign up and I intend to purchase my standard IH with full warranty....unless this is the beginning of the Zombie apocalypse....but maybe even then! haha

I'm not sure I understand taking a rain check and being able to order at any time in the future. Take as an example, someone in July group but they take a rain check and pop back up in Oct while you are still working off Aug orders. Would these then be slotted in ahead of the existing backlog?

Not really my biz to know this....as long as I am able to make my purchase, its not really my concern how you manage this.

Cheers and keep your head down, your powder dry, and your knees together (oh shit, that last part is advise to my daughter when going out on a date!! Never mind. hahaha jk)

My KNEES ARE TOGETHER!!! God forbid I get accused of MAN SPREADING.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Baron23

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I'm not sure how I understand taking a rain check and being able to order at any time in the future. Would these then be slotted in ahead of the existing backlog?

Basically, I have a better handle on my production process now, and it's easier for me to add people to an existing batch. I am not expecting 20 people to join a batch at once like this, but adding one or two ad hoc isn't a problem.

MAbud

@mr_cfromcali

if one wanted to order 2 different heaters; one for flavor and dry hits and one to say maximize extractions for use through water filtration, what sizes would you recommend for each? Trying to get ready since my number may come up soon. Thanks!!

okänd

It finally arrived today! Number 214.
Customs sure take their time...

I will unfortunately not be able to test it anytime soon as I don't have any product to put in my Dynavap and because of the current state of the world I probably won't for a while.

I went with oiled cherry wood and it looks, feels, and smells very nice. I did not get a cloth bag to store mine in though like posts in this thread imply you would. It was just wrapped in paper and put in a bubble wrap bag. I'm sure I can source something protective to store it in myself when travelling.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@mr_cfromcali

if one wanted to order 2 different heaters; one for flavor and dry hits and one to say maximize extractions for use through water filtration, what sizes would you recommend for each? Trying to get ready since my number may come up soon. Thanks!!

Good question, @MAbud.

In general, a smaller diameter coil results in a more aggressive heating cycle, but as you drill a bit deeper into this performance the answer gets a bit more complicated.

As you know, titanium and stainless steel tips behave differently; titanium responds more quickly to heat than stainless steel.

Again speaking generally, for a titanium tip, a 15mm coil will get you maximum extraction, while a 16mm coil will give you maximum flavor.

For a stainless steel tip this is somewhat reversed (or maybe the best answer is just "it's murkier"), as the SS is slower to absorb heat initially, so a quicker heating cycle from a 15mm coil will generally cause the tip to click a bit sooner on the SS, and the 16mm coil will generally produce both more flavor and greater extraction with this type of tip, at least initially. The SS tip performs very well once at temp, so it typically becomes more efficient as you use it.

Keep all of that in mind, and now ALSO consider the other factor at work in this equation, which is the height of the bottom loop of the heating coil, specifically how it sits relative to the position of the vapcap's tip. As you raise the height of the bottom loop of the heating coil above the tip of the vapcap, you increase the time it takes for the vapcap tip to get hot enough to click. The opposite is also true: the vapcap will click more quickly as more of the tip is surrounded by the heating coil, i.e., lowering the heating coil decreases heating time.

After some trial and error, I now ship the Flux Deluxe with the coil set to about even with the vapcap tip, or maybe just a 0.5mm above it. That's the starting position, and it works well for most people, but you can also raise or lower the height of the coil manually*. This requires a few minutes and some straightforward disassembly/reassembly:

Start with an adjustment of 1mm or so and see what that does for you. Everyone has different tastes and reflexes. You'll know you've gone too far when you don't like the flavor and/or you combust.

In conclusion: If you are getting two heaters, you might want to try both a 15mm coil and a 16mm coil. The one which will provide more emphasis on extraction vs flavor depends on your tip material as per above, and also on the height of your coil, which can drastically alter the performance of the Flux Deluxe.

Hope that helps,

*You can't lower the coil below the switch. I now ship the FD with three high temp o-rings below the coil, two "full" height and one half the height of the other two. Remove the half-height o-ring to lower the heating temp, or raise the heating coil further to increase the heating time and temp. BTW, this info will also be featured in the user guide I am currently at work on. Hope that helps.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
@mr_cfromcali .... what is the wall thickness on the CHERRY WOOD box, please?

It's been listed as both 3 mm in this thread, and more recently, as a 4 mm wall thickness.

TIA!

Fat Freddy,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@mr_cfromcali - what frequency range do you see this circuit oscillating in?

I am seeing it oscillating at around 91kHz, if I am measuring it correctly.

@mr_cfromcali .... what is the wall thickness on the CHERRY WOOD box, please?

It's been listed as both 3 mm in this thread, and more recently, as a 4 mm wall thickness.

TIA!

I can confirm @okänd 's measurements as accurate: ~3mm wall thickness for the sides, and ~6mm for the end panels. FYI, the dimensions for this box have changed slightly over time as I have continued to improve the build.

MAbud

Good question, @MAbud.

In general, a smaller diameter coil results in a more aggressive heating cycle, but as you drill a bit deeper into this performance the answer gets a bit more complicated.

As you know, titanium and stainless steel tips behave differently; titanium responds more quickly to heat than stainless steel.

Again speaking generally, for a titanium tip, a 15mm coil will get you maximum extraction, while a 16mm coil will give you maximum flavor.

For a stainless steel tip this is somewhat reversed (or maybe the best answer is just "it's murkier"), as the SS is slower to absorb heat initially, so a quicker heating cycle from a 15mm coil will generally cause the tip to click a bit sooner on the SS, and the 16mm coil will generally produce both more flavor and greater extraction with this type of tip, at least initially. The SS tip performs very well once at temp, so it typically becomes more efficient as you use it.

Keep all of that in mind, and now ALSO consider the other factor at work in this equation, which is the height of the bottom loop of the heating coil, specifically how it sits relative to the position of the vapcap's tip. As you raise the height of the bottom loop of the heating coil above the tip of the vapcap, you increase the time it takes for the vapcap tip to get hot enough to click. The opposite is also true: the vapcap will click more quickly as more of the tip is surrounded by the heating coil, i.e., lowering the heating coil decreases heating time.

After some trial and error, I now ship the Flux Deluxe with the coil set to about even with the vapcap tip, or maybe just a 0.5mm above it. That's the starting position, and it works well for most people, but you can also raise or lower the height of the coil manually*. This requires a few minutes and some straightforward disassembly/reassembly:

Start with an adjustment of 1mm or so and see what that does for you. Everyone has different tastes and reflexes. You'll know you've gone too far when you don't like the flavor and/or you combust.

In conclusion: If you are getting two heaters, you might want to try both a 15mm coil and a 16mm coil. The one which will provide more emphasis on extraction vs flavor depends on your tip material as per above, and also on the height of your coil, which can drastically alter the performance of the Flux Deluxe.

Hope that helps,

*You can't lower the coil below the switch. I now ship the FD with three high temp o-rings below the coil, two "full" height and one half the height of the other two. Remove the half-height o-ring to lower the heating temp, or raise the heating coil further to increase the heating time and temp. BTW, this info will also be featured in the user guide I am currently at work on. Hope that helps.

It helps a great deal, thank you! I only use Ti tips so it looks like a 15mm and a 16mm are the way to go.

I have no issue paying the uncharge for either 14 or 17 too if you feel like that is best. I guess we can chat through when my late July ticket gets punched hopefully in the next few weeks

Last edited:
MAbud,
Reactions: Jill NYC

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
It helps a great deal, thank you! I only use Ti tips so it looks like a 15mm and a 16mm are the way to go.

I have no issue paying the uncharge for either 14 or 17 too if you feel like that is best. I guess we can chat through when my late July ticket gets punched hopefully in the next few weeks

Take this for what it's worth, @MAbud :

My main piece is a Ti OmnVapi XL, though I also use a 2018M and some alternate bodies, etc.

Just speaking for myself, I have personally found the 14mm coil to be a bit too hot for the Ti OmniVap. For me, I found the 14mm + Ti setup works best if I pull after the first click, and even for me it's challenging to get 3-4 heating cycles out of this pairing with adequate extraction and no combustion. :haw: This is one reason why I stopped offering it as a regular option - even people who like it hot typically find it's a bit too hot for day-to-day usage.

I like the 15mm size and think it works better with the Ti tips than the 14mm. Now, having said that, I made a 14mm heater for a customer last week after warning him it may be too hot, and he received it over the weekend and wrote that he loves it, so this is clearly a matter of personal taste. I have no qualms about selling a 14mm coiled heater to someone who wants it - it is efficient and it does heats quickly - but I just want people to know what they are getting, and want to avoid frustrating people with unexpected, unwelcomed combustion.

As for the 17mm coil, I think it pairs better with the SS tip than the Ti tip, and I wouldn't recommend it for someone who primarily uses a Ti tip, as it heats a bit too gently. A 16mm coil with the bottom coil loop raised a bit higher than the standard position performs similarly to the 17mm coil, and the 16mm is a better physical fit inside the FD than the 17mm coil. I think the 17mm was a more attractive option before I worked out the relationship between coil height and its effect on heating the vapcap tip.

Anyway, feel free to send me a PM if you have more specific questions about your potential setup, but I wanted to share this with the thread as it's something others are probably interested in as well.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In other news, I expect to send out more June 2019 notifications soon.

I am developing a new waiting list form/app in Google Forms to address the issues raised with the current solution. The form is done - gForms are easy - but the data migration of the existing list names is definitely NOT easy, and I am working on an Apps Script to do the heavy lifting for that. Fun, fun, fun. :p I hope to wrap it up tonight or tomorrow, and will let folks know when it's ready. :brow:

Cheers,

Top Bottom