• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Flower Mill

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
Hey everyone!

It's been suggested numerous times that I make an exclusive thread for the Flower Mill. So, here it is! I'll be spending some time updating some of our history below this initial post. Please, ask me anything you'd like here!

We're just 3 nerdy guys who designed and built a better grinder for ourselves. Check it out here: www.FlowerMillUSA.com

WVv89Lm.jpg

6uqfjML.jpg

More to follow!

Thanks for the support, and warm welcome!

Drug

welcome to the forum. I've been intrigued by your grinder for some time and I was wondering the following. I like a coarse grind with as less as possible smaller particles in the end result. Would you advise a 4-piece so the screen can filter out the smallest particles? Or does using a 3-piece result in such an even consistency that won't be necessary?

Also I noticed shipping to the Netherlands is like 55$. I was actually hoping that is an error, as it seems kind of high. But if it's the actual price, do you have any plans on stocking EU vendors?

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
A bit about myself:

My name is John Gleason, I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm one of the 3 guys who designed the Flower Mill, and one of only 4 guys who are operating the business at the moment. I've always loved designing and building things. Some of my other work can be found here: Instagram: @GleaseMan

I've always been an avid forum guy, and if feels really good to be back behind a keyboard on the original social media! There seems to be an amazing group of sold-out people here. Can't wait to meet you all.

The company:

Many will remember us as Roiel Health, back when we were selling the now Flower Mill as the 'Crown.' We all loved the name, but we learned quickly that we were all much better at designing products than naming them. Flower Mill represents us a lot better, we think. :)
All three of us that designed the Flower Mill actually ran multiple small businesses, previously. We all met one year at a big car event in Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon). We were all selling aftermarket parts for Mazda RX7's at the time, and we became good friends. It was pretty wild since I drove 12hrs from Canada to be there, and they (Jason and Aaron) flew in from Phoenix AZ.

A few years back we decided to pursue a non-automotive passion project all together. We were all individually fed up with certain aspects of our own grinders. So, long story short... Flower Mill was born! We initially made every unit ourselves, on our own 4 Axis CNC machines. But along with our name change, we made the hard decision to have the majority of these parts manufactured overseas. It pained us, as we're ALL big believers of domestic sourcing, but it was a decision that was necessary to allow us to lower the initial $125.00 price tag down to the $89.00 it's at currently. Stainless is expensive to machine.. But, we spend a year finding a good machinist on the other end of the world who does a much better job than we initially were doing. It's win / win, but we do have plans to bring home manufacturing as soon as we're able.

If you have any questions about our story, please ask!

The original made-in-usa Crown:

The original grinder patent from 1905. Look familiar?!

8IuvSi8.png

Here's an old video I dug up from our initial proof of concept testing. We were seeing the bud roll / break up grinding (milling) action happen for the first time, and we were all geeeeeeked! We would machine a concept, test it, examine the failures, then design a new concept and try it all again... over and over. The initial design actually had teeth in it. This test was us realizing that the teeth were stopping the rolling motion we were looking for:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

welcome to the forum. I've been intrigued by your grinder for some time and I was wondering the following. I like a coarse grind with as less as possible smaller particles in the end result. Would you advise a 4-piece so the screen can filter out the smallest particles? Or does using a 3-piece result in such an even consistency that won't be necessary?

Also I noticed shipping to the Netherlands is like 55$. I was actually hoping that is an error, as it seems kind of high. But if it's the actual price, do you have any plans on stocking EU vendors?
Thank you! The moisture content in the bud matters, which I'm confident you already know! The keif catch (we just call it the 'catch') won't help you much on that. But, the coarse grind screen that comes installed in every mill does a really nice job. We have 3 finer options available in the Expansion Pack, but non coarser. I can't say it'll be exactly what you're looking for, but it sounds like it could be a good fit.

So sorry about the high shipping cost. If you'd like, I can ship a bit slower from Canada and just charge you separately in a PayPal invoice for the actual shipping. Let me know if what would help. They're also on sale at the moment!

Hope that helps :)

Love my flower mill. Have had it for I think 2 years now. Welcome.
Thanks for the support, and the welcome. Glad you love it, truly.

Drug

Thank you! The moisture content in the bud matters, which I'm confident you already know! The keif catch (we just call it the 'catch') won't help you much on that. But, the coarse grind screen that comes installed in every mill does a really nice job. We have 3 finer options available in the Expansion Pack, but non coarser. I can't say it'll be exactly what you're looking for, but it sounds like it could be a good fit.

So sorry about the high shipping cost. If you'd like, I can ship a bit slower from Canada and just charge you separately in a PayPal invoice for the actual shipping. Let me know if what would help. They're also on sale at the moment!

Hope that helps :)
Yeah sure I'm interested. Let me shoot you a dm.

Drug

My Flower Mill just arrived. It came way earlier than expected. The grinder - pardon me, mill - itself in a nice tin can. Here's some shots.

BE45DCB8-F55B-483E-BC13-31DFCBB70624.jpeg

@FlowerMillJohn threw in the extra plate for me, much appreciated. It's a little coarser than the one it's shipped with, and promises to suit my needs even better. However I haven't yet tried it out, because I had some trouble switching the plates out, and after I figured out how to change them my weed was already ground lol. The grey part is a 3D printed tool to easily remove the stainless milling part, I assume this will be offered in the store in the future.

I only have a Herb Ripper mini and a United Machining to compare it to. As all my scales are out of battery I can't compare weight, but it's remarkably lighter than the UM and seems somewhat lighter than the HR. It still has a bit of a hefty feel to it though, which I like. Here's some pics of the three of 'em together.

0C6CAF9B-F574-434B-8940-EB67E0966FDC.jpeg
E73AD2BF-2061-447D-AFA6-C42D08AE8408.jpeg
DF26B7E0-3CA4-4247-99AD-A26156FBEE53.jpeg

I milled some kandy kush with it and of my three grinders it's by far the one with the least resistance. In no time it easily milled the whole chunk of weed I threw in it - eyeballing it at around 1g. Here's the result.

56BA2F27-3405-4707-B897-3FD675B3A0C4.jpeg

it's kind of hard to show the consistency in a pic, but irl it visibly less finely ground than my other two pieces and upon closer look - as advertised - the resulting consistency seems more naturally formed as compared with teethed grinders. As for the dust like particles that my other grinders produce (which I disliked for entering my vapor and lungs) it barely suffers from this issue. It also is no effort at all to get the milled herb in the herb container, so I expect this to stay clean easily. This is how it came out.

775F0EE4-2F0F-472F-8362-696DABA65F23.jpeg

So my first impressions are really positive. I was a little worried about the design with the ring, but that was unnecessary. These guys know what they're doing. The bottom part screws in real easy and if no one had told me there was a ring I probably wouldn't have noticed. And if I'm correct the addition of this ring makes it possible for owners of the previous 4-part edition to transform it in a 3-part, showing support for early adapters which is real customer and eco friendly.

Also dealing with this company has been great. Communication with John was super customer oriented, and it even saved me money on shipping. All in all an awesome experience and I can recommend this product as well as the company.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice @Drug thanks for the write up!

So that grind in the photo, is with the standard plate then, not the more coarse plate you received as well?

Damn it I pre-ordered the United Machining, already have two BCG, really hard to justify another grinder right now, but so tempted by this one and you're making it even more difficult to resist with this post!

FlowerMillJohn

Manufacturer
@Drug I'm so glad you're liking it! Thanks so much for the review, it's much appreciated. You were a pleasure to deal with, too.

And yes, all Premium or Standard Mills share the same lower bowl which universally accept the pieces for either 3 and 4 piece mode. (We call them the ring and the catch, respectively.)

Oh, and the $59.95 Standard model is now out! This is an all-aluminum version of the Premium Flower Mill, with the other major difference being it doesn't disassemble as far. The screen size is also not interchangeable. It has a new 20 flute rotor which works very well, and like I said above, both Premium and Standard share the same lower bowl, ring, and catch. (These standardized bowls will be a key player in one of our next products) It's built just as well as the Premium, and there is no difference in grind quality or cult-ish 'Mill experience' in any way beyond the ability to change the grind size. We've also found they are still very easy to clean with just a toothbrush and iso, despite not break down into as many individual components.

The recess in the rotor and knob assembly (lid) had been initially added for weight reduction, but we've all grown really fond of it. The Premium is unlikely to change to this as there's insufficient material available, and, we still just love it the way it is. :luv: Oh, the knob assemblies also interchange incase anyone was wondering.

I'll be creating a few videos this week explaining them next to each other!

dkLlo4Fl.jpg

Sy1zAfkl.jpg

abrtS0kl.jpg

Drug

So that grind in the photo, is with the standard plate then, not the more coarse plate you received as well?
That's correct.
Damn it I pre-ordered the United Machining, already have two BCG, really hard to justify another grinder right now, but so tempted by this one and you're making it even more difficult to resist with this post!
I get that. I'd already acquired two high end (and high priced) grinders in the past few months myself. Though I like both my UM and my HR, I might sell one of those or perhaps eventually even both. The Flower Mill I will keep as it's such a different concept and experience and from my first impressions scores best in places I find important (consistency of the grind, size:weight ratio, ease of use as well as - expected - maintenance).

Shit Snacks

That's correct.

I get that. I'd already acquired two high end (and high priced) grinders in the past few months myself. Though I like both my UM and my HR, I might sell one of those or perhaps eventually even both. The Flower Mill I will keep as it's such a different concept and experience and from my first impressions scores best in places I find important (consistency of the grind, size:weight ratio, ease of use as well as - expected - maintenance).

Yeah consistency of grind is important to me, and that grind looks pretty nice... When you can, share a photo of the more coarse plate's grind? Just for comparison sake lol

The new standard model looks great @FlowerMillJohn! So the grate plate and the grooved crown press in the top of the standard, are aluminum instead of the steel in the premium? Look forward to video!

Vaporware

I was trying to find videos that showed the Flower Mill in use, but all I came up with was a video of the “STR8 Flower Mill” which looks just about the same as yours. It seems like you guys did the engineering, so is theirs a rebrand?

Looks interesting anyway, and I have to guess that the future product you were referring to is a lid for the bottom piece so it can be used for more compact transportation of ground flower. You don’t have to confirm it, but it seems like the most obvious reason for that piece being standardized across models. :)

Good luck with it, and despite being reasonably happy with my grinders the 4-Piece Premium Flower Mill is definitely on my list of gear to consider more. :sherlock:

Once vaccines are available, I’d also be interested in meeting any/all of you guys if they haven’t left Phoenix!

Drug

Thanks dude, no rush of course!
I made some pics using the coarse plate.

C4FEFF4A-F7BD-438D-BF09-AC4B1F8BDF92.jpeg

Consistency is clearly more even and coarser compared to the ground herb in my previous pic, with the standard plate.

Side by side shows this even better.

ECF08A8F-D2D7-4892-8601-9BC2E3EB3F66.jpeg

The result is amazing. Hardly any small particles, and a consistency that's unmatched by any of my more traditional grinders (and also outclasses the standard plate). This coarse plate really offers the results I was hoping for in the Flower Mill, comparable to the results I got when I used to manually prepare.

Shit Snacks

If you get this grinder Shitty, you can have my coarse plate. Sharing is caring!

Always so generous!! Love ya man

So you also got the more course plate? But do you not find yourself using it much, compared to the other plates then??

Sometimes a fine grind is necessary... Hmm

mephisto

Back at you, brougham! I only use the fine plate. My dispensary herb is rather dry, so it gets really fine. Works well in all of my artillery, except for the IO, too fine. In the TM, or the Vrod it is the cat's ass!

Texus

Took the dive last night and ordered a premium even though I have a BCG on order. But who knows when that BCG will be ready and shipped.

Nice to have such a great looking option as the Flower Mill immediately available.

Didn't order other grind size plates but that functionality is what tipped me to the premium. Would also be awesome to have a package option that includes plates as a discount...

Texus

Also THANK YOU for not slapping your logo on these. I am not a fan of logos and the list of products I have decided not to buy because they have a logo on them is quite long.

I even pay the extra shipping to get the Great North Vape equivalent of Sneaky Pete items because I'd rather have the Canadian maple than a Sneaky Pete logo.

RxPlorer

Took the dive last night and ordered a premium even though I have a BCG on order. But who knows when that BCG will be ready and shipped.

Nice to have such a great looking option as the Flower Mill immediately available.

Didn't order other grind size plates but that functionality is what tipped me to the premium. Would also be awesome to have a package option that includes plates as a discount...
Hi Tex, has your unit already arrived? Curious since I ordered on the 10th but USPS has not received the box yet.

RxPlorer,

Texus

Hi Tex, has your unit already arrived? Curious since I ordered on the 10th but USPS has not received the box yet.
Not yet, but I've been in communication with @FlowerMillJohn about an issue with PayPal. I got the notification from PayPal about the payment but order isn't showing up for him. FlowerMillJohn has been very responsive and it has been less 24 hours since I contacted him about it. So not too worried.

Top Bottom