Flower Mill

flowerstash

From what I remember they did the redesign of their top model to prevent this issue, but stated it was an overkill measure as the issue at hand had only affected such a small percentage of users and was caused by a glitch.

Is there a way to know if a mill is affected without creating aluminum dust? I have an early model, but it doesn't get much use. I'll eventually pass it along to someone else, so I'd like to request the fix if my unit needs it. How do I know?

flowerstash,

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Is there a way to know if a mill is affected without creating aluminum dust? I have an early model, but it doesn't get much use. I'll eventually pass it along to someone else, so I'd like to request the fix if my unit needs it. How do I know?
No way to know, unfortunately to really be sure you'll have to spend on that upgrade kit I'm afraid.

CanaMama

See recent posts about the aluminum dust issue being resolved. Includes pics of the new design and a description of their fix.
To clarify, do you happen to know if the "aluminum dust issue" occurred with the mini edition mills too or was it only the standard flower mills that were affected? I emailed the company but they haven't gotten back to me. Tia

CanaMama,

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
Was browsing the thread, so many cool new updates!

Short 1 year review:
- Haven't had any issues other than normal wear and tear.
- I was worried it was too small at first but size is good.
- Cleanest opening mechanism I've used. The shorter travel distance makes it a lot easier to keep clean.
- The weight of it is really good and solid for the way it grinds.
- I got the screen expansion and found the 'fine' size worked best for most cases. I initially thought the 'super fine' and 'ultra fine' would be awesome but it took me a while to figure out 'fine' was just fine for me lol. Was very impressed with how evenly ground the material was, very noticeable difference in the sizes.
- I thought I was going to want a screen but I preferred using it without, the finish of the flowermill is less prone to getting sticky

I see there's an updated rotor(?) design. Haven't had any of the issues of the rotor getting stuck yet but haven't disassembled all the way just spot cleaning.

RxPlorer

Was browsing the thread, so many cool new updates!

Short 1 year review:
- Haven't had any issues other than normal wear and tear.
- I was worried it was too small at first but size is good.
- Cleanest opening mechanism I've used. The shorter travel distance makes it a lot easier to keep clean.
- The weight of it is really good and solid for the way it grinds.
- I got the screen expansion and found the 'fine' size worked best for most cases. I initially thought the 'super fine' and 'ultra fine' would be awesome but it took me a while to figure out 'fine' was just fine for me lol. Was very impressed with how evenly ground the material was, very noticeable difference in the sizes.
- I thought I was going to want a screen but I preferred using it without, the finish of the flowermill is less prone to getting sticky

I see there's an updated rotor(?) design. Haven't had any of the issues of the rotor getting stuck yet but haven't disassembled all the way just spot cleaning.
I love this thing and have no interest in ever using a traditional grinder design again - stainless or otherwise.

The updated rotor is really cool. I recommend it but it's not absolutely necessary.

Planning to upgrade mine to the new stainless sleeve. And I'll def be buying a mini, once a stainless version is out.

RxPlorer,

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
I love this thing and have no interest in ever using a traditional grinder design again - stainless or otherwise.

The updated rotor is really cool. I recommend it but it's not absolutely necessary.

Planning to upgrade mine to the new stainless sleeve. And I'll def be buying a mini, once a stainless version is out.
I got the premium version as I did want that stainless steel :bowdown:

vapingtortoise,

checkyourlibido

To clarify, do you happen to know if the "aluminum dust issue" occurred with the mini edition mills too or was it only the standard flower mills that were affected? I emailed the company but they haven't gotten back to me. Tia
My understanding was that the aluminum dust issues were isolated to the Premium Edition that was stainless steel and aluminum.

The mini, to my knowledge, is aluminum only. I don't remember seeing anyone say anything about the mini and aluminum dust.

Edit: not every premium model had that issue, didn't mean to mislead anyone here

Last edited:

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
My understanding was that the aluminum dust issues were isolated to the Premium Edition that was stainless steel and aluminum.

The mini, to my knowledge, is aluminum only. I don't remember seeing anyone say anything about the mini and aluminum dust.
Oh dang, I gotta check for the shavings then :/

Time to review the thread again lol

vapingtortoise,

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Oh dang, I gotta check for the shavings then :/

Time to review the thread again lol

I do think it should be kept in mind that the shavings issue did not happen with every mill or even most mills, I've been running mine daily for around a year and a half without ever seeing any of the wear others have encountered. Definitely check but I wouldn't assume that just because you have one of the earlier model premiums your going to have a problem.

710yota,
Reactions: Jill NYC

checkyourlibido

I do think it should be kept in mind that the shavings issue did not happen with every mill or even most mills, I've been running mine daily for around a year and a half without ever seeing any of the wear others have encountered. Definitely check but I wouldn't assume that just because you have one of the earlier model premiums your going to have a problem.
Thanks for pointing that out. I could see how my post could use more clarity, I added a small edit.

checkyourlibido,
Reactions: 710yota

oldbay

I was experiencing the aluminum dust issue to an extent and received a warranty replacement from Flower Mill after emailing them with a photo.

The new mill just arrived, and I really like the new design. Obviously the steel-on-steel contact is a substantial improvement, but I also think the shallower top portion makes a big difference. Having the rotor extend deeper than the sides of the lid makes the geometry a lot more manageable when grinding an imperfectly balanced load. It's a subtle difference but I hope they carry that aspect forward for the stainless steel mini.

androponic

vaped.
I just received my new flower mills from @FlowerMillJohn to replace my old ones. Thanks for the deal and allowing existing owners to replace their units as such a killer price. I can’t believe the quality, you guys have done outdone yourself. I’m definitely going back to milling straight away. I did feel like keeping more of my material intact during the process vs grinding always got me a better result when vaping. Its just amazing how tight the tolerances are and i thought my OG units were amazing. You guys rock!

noobvaperct

Has anyone been using a new SS model that can speak to it? Any shavings? Is the extra screen kit needed? Who’s it for mostly?

noobvaperct,

checkyourlibido

@noobvaperct no shavings yet. I had the extra screen from before I got my replacement. The new one has no screen, I don't miss it. I like vaping it all together most of the time anyway.

checkyourlibido,
Reactions: androponic

Vaporware

I think the screen part would be the same, so if you still have it you should be able to put it in the new one. :)

Vaporware,

oldbay

Yep, I have the screen kit and you can just unscrew the little ring in the catch and screw the screen in. The catch and grinding plates seem relatively unaffected by the redesign (though everything else has been changed, probably why they're just sending whole new grinders for upgraders, not worth the extra effort to send 75% of a new grinder)

oldbay,

checkyourlibido

@Vaporware @oldbay Indeed, mine is the same. I did check to see if it fit when I got my parts, but I've been leaning towards no screen since I mainly use my Flowerpot now. And even with my portables, I just use them upside down and have no issues with the bits.

checkyourlibido,
Reactions: Vaporware

bigheaded1

Are there any plans to release an expansion or upgrade kit for the mini? I like the swappable plates of the full sized ones. But I'm looking for something the size of the mini.

bigheaded1,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Texus

I just received my new flower mills from @FlowerMillJohn to replace my old ones. Thanks for the deal and allowing existing owners to replace their units as such a killer price. I can’t believe the quality, you guys have done outdone yourself. I’m definitely going back to milling straight away. I did feel like keeping more of my material intact during the process vs grinding always got me a better result when vaping. Its just amazing how tight the tolerances are and i thought my OG units were amazing. You guys rock!
Totally agree here. Some really nice improvements on a grinder that was already winning my reach test.
Are there any plans to release an expansion or upgrade kit for the mini? I like the swappable plates of the full sized ones. But I'm looking for something the size of the mini.

And wow, the Mini is really lovely. Looking at its size, multiple plates might be tricky. Or add too much cost. They might be better off offering different sized of Mini.

But the Mini instantly replaces my prior on-the-go grinder (ZAM, which was great for storage/debowler but not a great grinder). And so pretty in that purple. Really pops in person.

Texus,

bigheaded1

I wanted a smaller grinder, heard great things about the Flower Mill and they have a mini version so I scooped one up. For how small it is this thing is solid and heavy and the magnetic is super strong. I'm impressed something this small weights this damn much. As for the milling action, my Marley Natural grinder's pretty smooth, but this is on another level, the sucker spins like butter. Even when you have a big sticky nug in it. The first time I used it I thought maybe I wasn't doing something right because I didn't feel like there was any resistance. Impressive how milling works compared to grinding.

Flower Mill claims the milling "crumbles flower for a more fuffly, uniformly burning result" I'm not going to act like some cannabis connoisseur, so I don't know if I can tell all that. But it does seem to be less compressed than herb I ran thru my other grinder. I took a pic of some I ground up, but the pic doesn't do it justice. It also left nothing at all in the milling chamber. This is the 1st time where I didn't have to take a poker to get a few bits of herb here and there to fall thru. I hit some in a Airvape Legacy Pro, and I'm not going to proclaim it was magically better. But it definitely seemed to burn, errr... roast? evenly and I got a decent number of pulls off the bowl.

For $40 this is a damn impressive grinder. And while it's small, it's plenty big enough for me. And with how fast and effortless it is to use, one could mow thru a good amount of flower in no time if they needed to. I can't comment on how it will hold up, but it sure feels like it should last a long time.

I like this sucker a whole lot, even tho I don't need another grinder I think I'll order the full size one soon. I also loved how I ordered it Friday afternoon and it was here Monday. My only regret was I wish I'd ordered it in purple, the bllue looks killer in person but I know the purple would just pop.

Only downside I can see is the plate isn't removable so you can't buy different sizes like it"s big brother. But for the small size, and the price I really can't complain.

Last edited:

Texus

Well put. Only thing I'd add is the pleasure of not needing to cram flower between grinder teeth. Which is even more a pain in smaller grinders. But can instead load a surprising amount for the size of it. No teeth taking up space and just an effortless grind process.

bigheaded1

ah yes, if I was sober I would have thought to bring that up, just drop the herb in and the top glides on with no force required. Amazing how this works, and the top piece doesn't even have the spring push that the full-sized model has. I really want to try that one.

bigheaded1,
Top Bottom