Firewood Vaporizer

Trulukkyphrank

I think what you’re looking for would be like a little silicone pouch that people most often use for dabs.

You can also use an Altoids tin to dump hot caps into, and close back up to go in your pocket.
Thank you for the answer! Marc shoud hire you ;P

Do you think the silicone pouch can handle the temp of the crucible oven right after use?

Trulukkyphrank,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Thank you for the answer! Marc shoud hire you ;P

Do you think the silicone pouch can handle the temp of the crucible oven right after use?
Did a quick google on the temp rating of generic food safe silicone and one place lists a temp rating of -40f - 480f so I think it should be fine.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Glad to see more people enjoying the FW8. I'm still loving mine and it's the only vape I use now.

I know I'm the high-priest (sorry) of proselytising for tweezers and the loading tray when using the FW8 and I understand why that's not right for everyone, but I can't think of ANY vape I've ever owned where I didn't have all sorts of support tools. For me, accessorising is part of the fun of the hobby. But that's just me.

Anyway, I know we've pretty much beaten the "horses for courses" pluses/minuses discussion to an unrecognisable mess, but I do have a question for those who look unfavourably at the capsule system for portable use.

I only use the FW8 at home. I use the FW7 away from home. I understand the issues connected with having to handle a hot capsule on the go but for those of you who are using the FW8 on the go, I've got to ask: how often do you need to swap capsules before the spent one has cooled down to safe handling temps? I may be a light-weight, but I can't see myself ever getting through a bowl and immediately needing to hit another one.

I suppose it could be required if you were in a group session, but does anyone share vapes anymore in our post-COVID reality?

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Glad to see more people enjoying the FW8. I'm still loving mine and it's the only vape I use now.

I know I'm the high-priest (sorry) of proselytising for tweezers and the loading tray when using the FW8 and I understand why that's not right for everyone, but I can't think of ANY vape I've ever owned where I didn't have all sorts of support tools. For me, accessorising is part of the fun of the hobby. But that's just me.

Anyway, I know we've pretty much beaten the "horses for courses" pluses/minuses discussion to an unrecognisable mess, but I do have a question for those who look unfavourably at the capsule system for portable use.

I only use the FW8 at home. I use the FW7 away from home. I understand the issues connected with having to handle a hot capsule on the go but for those of you who are using the FW8 on the go, I've got to ask: how often do you need to swap capsules before the spent one has cooled down to safe handling temps? I may be a light-weight, but I can't see myself ever getting through a bowl and immediately needing to hit another one.

I suppose it could be required if you were in a group session, but does anyone share vapes anymore in our post-COVID reality?
I pop mine out into an altoids tin immediately, and handle it quick to get the abv out. Haven’t burned my hands yet, but I’d say if you left it in the device it’s probably a good 30-45 seconds before you want to hold the naked cap for any amount of time.

Arawfish,

Vaporware

That sounds bad! Can you describe how you connected it wrong to help other people avoid the problem?

If the battery was smoking, I would talk to Marc before trying to use the battery…

DryBonesufo

That sounds bad! Can you describe how you connected it wrong to help other people avoid the problem?

If the battery was smoking, I would talk to Marc before trying to use the battery…
So it was connected on its side. So the battery latched on and it started smoking instantly which one of the things I’m concerned about the battery. The charger port and virtually the electronics are exposed. I’m so terrified that the charging port of the usbc may just snap off if I don’t carefully put in. But the battery one really worried the hell out of me.

Dolpaca

Feels like the green light has been on forver
Be sure that you connect the batteries appropriately. I had a misconnect and it started smoking! Thankfully I took it off the conductor and it seems to be ok.
Noted! Thank you for the heads up.
So it was connected on its side. So the battery latched on and it started smoking instantly which one of the things I’m concerned about the battery. The charger port and virtually the electronics are exposed. I’m so terrified that the charging port of the usbc may just snap off if I don’t carefully put in. But the battery one really worried the hell out of me.
Same here, that USB port on the battery makes me a bit nervous. I'd hate to break it. 🥴

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Gonna need some more info and if you could, some pictures please! That’s wild. I’m also having trouble understanding exactly what happened still.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Ditto, I'd also love some additional info @DryBonesufo. I thought of the 7 when you first mentioned the smoking part and was imagining a backwards 18650, but its probably not great if it was the battery pack for the 8.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Be sure that you connect the batteries appropriately. I had a misconnect and it started smoking! Thankfully I took it off the conductor and it seems to be ok.
You REALLY need to let Marc know about this.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
You REALLY need to let Marc know about this.
Yeah this is pretty much exactly what everyone whose been vocally against the battery packs has been concerned about (not specifically the smoking, but problems in general) and so far there have been a few reports of battery malfunctions. Now with this report of a smoking pack it’ll only strengthen the argument against the 8. I would definitely say the weakest point on the 8 would be the battery thus far, based on amounts of user trouble.

The whole point of having the pack in the first place is to reduce any chance of something like that happening, yet here we are haha.

Edit:: After getting a more complete explanation I’m really not sure what to make of the situation. Seems as though somehow the battery latched into place but was crooked enough that one of the 4 prongs may have been touching the wood on the latching mechanism and thereby creating the smoke, except that from the pictures he sent me there’s no visual damage anywhere on the device or battery.
It’s impossible for me to recreate this scenario on my device, no matter what I do to try and get the battery to go crooked.

I’m really interested in what Marc has to say about that one.

Last edited:

Dolpaca

Just had my first session with it. I prepacked the capsule at home. Then I went out for a walk. I used preset 2, which is 380 F I believe. Getting rid of spent weed while on the move isn't as bad as i thought it would be. I haven't tried repacking it on the go yet however. So we'll see how that goes. No regrets.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Just had my first session with it. I prepacked the capsule at home. Then I went out for a walk. I used preset 2, which is 380 F I believe. Getting rid of spent weed while on the move isn't as bad as i thought it would be. I haven't tried repacking it on the go yet however. So we'll see how that goes. No regrets.
If you have a brilliant cut (or any grinder with a magnet on a centre post) it works great for setting the cap on the magnet and filling from there. The stainless steel screen has just enough magnetic force that it’ll stay on as you fill it.

Dolpaca

Second sesh. Inside now. Not gonna lie, packing the capsule isn't my favorite thing. Pretty comparable to packing my old pax 3. Hardest part imo is putting the capsule with weed in it into the heater. Mine just always goes in crooked.
If you have a brilliant cut (or any grinder with a magnet on a centre post) it works great for setting the cap on the magnet and filling from there. The stainless steel screen has just enough magnetic force that it’ll stay on as you fill it.
I do have a BCG. I'll have to try this out. Appreciate the tip!

Trulukkyphrank

Second sesh. Inside now. Not gonna lie, packing the capsule isn't my favorite thing. Pretty comparable to packing my old pax 3. Hardest part imo is putting the capsule with weed in it into the heater. Mine just always goes in crooked.

I do have a BCG. I'll have to try this out. Appreciate the tip!
I find the capsule very easy to fill up. I just drop it in the bcg bottom and shove it trough coarse ground herb till it's full.

For putting the capsule with herb back in the heater I use the same technique like someone posted here. Turn the fw8 upsidedown and push the capsule with a finger (on the herb) inside. Works for me perfect :)

I hope this helps!

Dolpaca

How do you guys pack your capsules? Loose? Tight? Do you really tamp the herb down? Or do you just give it a light tamp?

I find the capsule very easy to fill up. I just drop it in the bcg bottom and shove it trough coarse ground herb till it's full.

For putting the capsule with herb back in the heater I use the same technique like someone posted here. Turn the fw8 upsidedown and push the capsule with a finger (on the herb) inside. Works for me perfect :)

I hope this helps!
I just need a better scoop. My delta 3d studious one is a but too fat for my liking. I'll have to try putting the caosule in upside-down. Thanks for the tip!

Mad_Max

Has anyone seen this mouthpiece? I just received this FW7 today, and my lips glue to this unfinished wood mouthpiece every draw. I could wax it. (I ordered a dimpled glass mouthpiece and adapter from fw. And a BB9 from POTV)

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Has anyone seen this mouthpiece? I just received this FW7 today, and my lips glue to this unfinished wood mouthpiece every draw. I could wax it. (I ordered a glass mouthpiece and adapter from fw. And a BB9 from POTV)

Never seen that one before. I am not a fan of the BB9 as a FW7 stem, but folks like it. I think the hula stems that Marc sold are better. Although I use my GVB stem almost exclusively.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: Mad_Max

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Mad_Max I'm not 100% on the unwaxed wood, but I believe that is the original FW7 mouthpiece. For a while it was in stock and easy to order and came with a very nice compact mouthpiece like that with a wooden slide. People seemed to vastly prefer it with the hula mp (which was at one point an add-on extra cooling stem) or it was just one less piece of wood to make and so Marc switched to it being the default. I can see the appeal of the hula for cooling, but that always struck me as the most secure portable set-up!

Top Bottom