Firewood Vaporizer

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Hmm, I guess I don’t bring any tools along for any of my vapes. I straw suck to load my toad, p80, dynavaps, and so on. To eject a spent load I just blow it out when it’s finished.

Just providing a counterpoint to the tooling arguments. I’m sure a tweezers makes it simpler to manage, it just still feels like a bit of a miss if I need to buy various accessories to use my vape? It’s not the end of the world, I am sure.
Yeah but those are completely different styles of vapes, of course you’re not going to be able to stem load a vape that doesn’t load up in its stem.

I carried around a tool with my Firewood 7, Anvil, my Vapmans, all my vapes I use at home pretty much all require a tool of some kind. The only vape that doesn’t is the Toad, but that’s a class above any other in my collection so it’s not a fair comparison.

That being said the 8 is the most involved, I just don’t think it’s all too difficult to adapt to.

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Arawfish

Yeah, I get that they are different. I guess I was just responding to the bit about carrying tools with all of your vapes.

I have personally been guilty of critiquing the 8’s capsules, and I still think they might detract from it as an on the go vape—in theory swapping capsules mid hike is easy, but you also have to manage the hot capsule. I think as you said these are niggles that could be worked around. I guess I just think it’s semi useful feedback for Marc. Outside of Reddit (where I don’t mean this in an arrogant way, but I think the average user really doesn’t know what they want sometimes…) I didn’t really see anyone clamoring for a capsule system. Any vape I’ve tried them with I’ve found them to be more of a hassle than something that saved me time.

ETA: where the capsules might be awesome is in cleaning. I haven’t needed to clean it yet, but it’s hard not to imagine the 7 being a bit more involved than a glass stem vape where I just toss them in iso. If you can safely iso soak the ceramic capsules that’s a trade off to consider.

PossumMD

@Arawfish

Yeah, I get that they are different. I guess I was just responding to the bit about carrying tools with all of your vapes.

I have personally been guilty of critiquing the 8’s capsules, and I still think they might detract from it as an on the go vape—in theory swapping capsules mid hike is easy, but you also have to manage the hot capsule. I think as you said these are niggles that could be worked around. I guess I just think it’s semi useful feedback for Marc. Outside of Reddit (where I don’t mean this in an arrogant way, but I think the average user really doesn’t know what they want sometimes…) I didn’t really see anyone clamoring for a capsule system. Any vape I’ve tried them with I’ve found them to be more of a hassle than something that saved me time.
In my experience, capsules suck except in the fw8. I've used mighty ones, TM ones, mighty caps in the p80, they all suck. And I have dissed the fw8, but their capsules get me zooted easily and consistently.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
@Arawfish

ETA: where the capsules might be awesome is in cleaning. I haven’t needed to clean it yet, but it’s hard not to imagine the 7 being a bit more involved than a glass stem vape where I just toss them in iso. If you can safely iso soak the ceramic capsules that’s a trade off to consider.
Yeah no doubt that he changed a lot of things with the 8 that no one wanted, myself included, and I do hope he goes back to something a little less involved.

I do think that the vape we got is downright incredible, but it’s definitely not right for everyone. Whereas the 7 I felt comfortable recommending every chance I got, so there’s definitely a stark contrast between them.

For most of my portable usage I don’t really use those vapes at home but with the 8 I’m finding I really enjoy using at home on a water piece a lot. I wouldn’t stick this in the ultra portable category like the TM2 or the Toad but it’s still fairly portable with a few caveats.

For sure very valuable info for Marc, I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m trying to shut down any counterpoints at all.

Dolpaca

The best way is to use tweezers, those kind of reverse ceramic tweezers that have been shared here previously, that way you can grab the chamber even when it is hot from deep inside the oven, pull it out and hold it upside down so you can then use another tool to poke out the herbs... Would work when cold too, but the ceramic chamber could get stuck in the oven with herbal reclaim stickiness, also the herbs might not come out of the chamber as easily once they are cooled off... But you can clean with regular iso alcohol soaks n scrubs etc
That doesn't seem too bad. I use poker/tamp tools with most of my vapes anyway!
As already mentioned you can use ceramic tipped tweezers (can get a 3pack for like $10 bucks) or what I do when I’m at home or posted up at a spot on the trail is just tap the bowl out as soon as I’m done with it into a little cardboard dish I have. I also tap it out into my palm after letting it cool down for a few moments if I happen to be without my little dish.

Sometimes I play a little hot potato with the cap and tap it out really quick but if you wait about 30 seconds after you knock it out of the device it’s should be cool enough you can tap it no problem. More often than not the force of the cap falling into the dish form the device is enough to dislodge most of the abv.

Little iso dip n’ scrub + a rinse and the capsules, Mouthpiece, and ceramic connector piece are good as new in about 5-10 minutes or less. Upkeep is fairly regular but not by any means difficult or cumbersome, at least with what’s been working for me.

I’d say the battery is exactly on par with how the 7 performs, if you’re at all familiar. So basically about 4-5 bowls if it’s just straight flower, but if you’re like me and like to pack a fat glob of FSE in the middle of each capsule it’s more like 3 long lasting bowls per battery… maaaybe 3.5 bowls.

I wouldn’t say packing a cap is difficult, but I also wouldn’t say it’s discreet or overly quick. You kinda gotta be sitting and have room to place things on your lap for a brief moment.

Hope that was helpful mate!

Oh! PS. I ordered a Firewood 7 stem + Walnut mouthpiece from High Artisan and it fits the 8 like a dream. Definitely a marked improvement in the airflow and mouthfeel. Plus it’s really nice to have the matching species of mp.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger soon. You guys have convinced me! I'll probably end up using it as an at home vape. At least until I get my packing/unpacking technique down.

Gorgeous HA stem! Prettiest looking FW8 setup I've seen so far

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That sounds super annoying TBH! I know we should avoid letting our bowls cool down and re-caramelize with material inside, but let's face it, it happens regularly when using on-demand devices on the go.

When I go outside with colleagues that want to smoke their cig during a short pause for instance, I don't have enough time to fully consume one bowl in my Impcognito. So in the worst case I leave it inside the stem as is to finish it later on.

Here you say I would have to always bring tweezers with me and do some good dexterity gymnastic while standing outside to prevent having the stuff being stuck in the device? And then I'd have to find a way to store the bowl unfinished left-overs without spilling them on the floor while still trying to not burn myself? (currently with the Impcognito even when hot I can just use a poker tool to empty the bowl in the palm of my hand, then I re-suck it inside as I would when I "flip" it mid-session. When I do that it tends to clog the screen less when it cools down)
Could you use a toothpick or small tool to hold the capsule in place and blow through the stem to clear the material? Then dump the capsule after it cools a bit. I just ordered an 8 yesterday specifically for on-the-go use because of the capsules. Now after getting caught up in the thread I feel like maybe I may have made a mistake. I was hoping the experience would be more like the FW4, it was my favorite for on-the-go.

Yeah don't get me wrong I am just preparing myself for that technique based on what I know about it in my own style, I could adapt another way though, and it could be possible to adapt on other way that works better for you too... I have been further delayed in getting my FW8, I'm still hoping to get my order in very soon to finally try it myself!

DryBonesufo

just saw that the FW8 is back in stock. I have the 3 4 6 and 7 … been reading the recent thread. How’s the vapor production and quality of the 8? Also how does changing the temp work on the 8? Similar to the 7?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
just saw that the FW8 is back in stock. I have the 3 4 6 and 7 … been reading the recent thread. How’s the vapor production and quality of the 8? Also how does changing the temp work on the 8? Similar to the 7?

The operating system firmware is all the same, the vapor production and quality should also be similar though people have reported more convection, though that could also depend on how you use it exactly

DryBonesufo

The operating system firmware is all the same, the vapor production and quality should also be similar though people have reported more convection, though that could also depend on how you use it exactly
So was it worth purchasing even having the 7? Lol

DryBonesufo,
Problems with mine ,under the oven when spring holds it all in ,the wee slididing door where the ceramics gets held by the spring was getting loose ,kept opening more over the last few days ,but body’s split and door and spring no longer attach
will he send a new body ? Wondered how much one would as dont need the rest of stuff but by time the added customs and should i be buying more when not my fault ,plus was up to my eyes buying this let alone more the same ,well fed up
or catching when i cleaned it ,now where the dood slide onto the body has split leaving unable to now get the dood back on ?
noway i can fix it as it body thats split ?only paid half it ,shit ,
was loving it too ,thinking how well thought out and made ,
anyway dont hold out much hope on this one as oven lid was also damaged i took blame for peace sake a paid for an other
not taking blame with this though as have over 50 vapes and never return any ,dont even take this one outside iam so careful with it ,
its in a case always and amedical user so just givong it a wee clean or polished before i started ,
anyway just my fucking luck lol ,see if my credit card can help ,
anyone else have any bother
G

Last edited:
Vapor-catzG,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Problems with mine ,under the oven when spring holds it all in ,the wee slididing door where the ceramics gets held by the spring was getting loose ,kept opening more over the last few days ,but body’s split and door and spring no longer attach
will he send a new body ? Wondered how much one would as dont need the rest of stuff but by time the added customs and should i be buying more when not my fault ,plus was up to my eyes buying this let alone more the same ,well fed up
or catching when i cleaned it ,now where the dood slide onto the body has split leaving unable to now get the dood back on ?
noway i can fix it as it body thats split ?only paid half it ,shit ,
was loving it too ,thinking how well thought out and made ,
anyway dont hold out much hope on this one as oven lid was also damaged i took blame for peace sake a paid for an other
not taking blame with this though as have over 50 vapes and never return any ,dont even take this one outside iam so careful with it ,
its in a case always and amedical user so just givong it a wee clean or polished before i started ,
anyway just my fucking luck lol ,see if my credit card can help ,
anyone else have any bother
G
Have you emailed Marc?

Hi yeah just got back ,says he can fixed it under warranty,asked about just buying a body as took 5 weeks to get here last time
means have a spare body but get it back quicker ,i drop things at times so spare isnt so bad ,,,,,if i can afford it
if not just need to wait atleast its getting fixed ,
thanks

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
I am a long time owner of a FW7 (buying my unit #417) around March 2021. Unfortunaly the button on my unit has become "soft" and I contacted Marc for a repair (quoted ~$60 for a new body on the 7). With the 7 being my all time favorite portable for it's utility, I decided to jump on an 8 out of fear of not having a FW in my life. So far I am more impressed with the unit than anything, with only small caveats standing in the way of me falling head over heels for the 8.

Operating the 8 is the same as the 7 past the unloading and loading of material. The software is the same with the same haptic feedback system, although the vibration seems beefier in the 8. The 8 feels chunkier in hand than the 7, and as a right hander isn't as comfortable to hold as the oven screw rest in the palm of my hand (this is opposed to the rounded and soft oven lid of the 7). The 8 is unsightly compared to the 7, it's just not a looker (I understand this is subjective). The button is more pronounced on the 8, with a better feel to the button press all around.

The 8 so far has surpassed the 7 in terms of function. The heat time seems faster, the airflow is more open, and it seems to extract very well and evenly. The 8 you get to really adjust and fine tune the hit by the way that you inhale. Ease of use has decreased from the 7 to the 8 with the crucible system. I am unsure of the durability of such a system that is in the 8 for the chamber and crucibles, but only time will tell.

I am not a pod guy, despise them. The 8 uses more of what I would call a crucible that is designed as a removable oven (sans the heating unit). So far they are a bit finicky to mess with as they are small, but your experience will be greatly enhanced with tweezers. I also question the durability of the crucibles themselves, as they are an proprietary integral part to the design that require frequent handling.

I often feel like a am a mini metal worker moving material in and out of a hot kiln...and that is fun for me and very different from other vapes I've used. Something about seeing the exposed heater wire and loading and unloading this device makes it a very intimate experience.

Overall this is for sure is an upgrade from the 7 in terms of function.

I am a long time owner of a FW7 (buying my unit #417) around March 2021. Unfortunaly the button on my unit has become "soft" and I contacted Marc for a repair (quoted ~$60 for a new body on the 7). With the 7 being my all time favorite portable for it's utility, I decided to jump on an 8 out of fear of not having a FW in my life. So far I am more impressed with the unit than anything, with only small caveats standing in the way of me falling head over heels for the 8.

Operating the 8 is the same as the 7 past the unloading and loading of material. The software is the same with the same haptic feedback system, although the vibration seems beefier in the 8. The 8 feels chunkier in hand than the 7, and as a right hander isn't as comfortable to hold as the oven screw rest in the palm of my hand (this is opposed to the rounded and soft oven lid of the 7). The 8 is unsightly compared to the 7, it's just not a looker (I understand this is subjective). The button is more pronounced on the 8, with a better feel to the button press all around.

The 8 so far has surpassed the 7 in terms of function. The heat time seems faster, the airflow is more open, and it seems to extract very well and evenly. The 8 you get to really adjust and fine tune the hit by the way that you inhale. Ease of use has decreased from the 7 to the 8 with the crucible system. I am unsure of the durability of such a system that is in the 8 for the chamber and crucibles, but only time will tell.

I am not a pod guy, despise them. The 8 uses more of what I would call a crucible that is designed as a removable oven (sans the heating unit). So far they are a bit finicky to mess with as they are small, but your experience will be greatly enhanced with tweezers. I also question the durability of the crucibles themselves, as they are an proprietary integral part to the design that require frequent handling.

I often feel like a am a mini metal worker moving material in and out of a hot kiln...and that is fun for me and very different from other vapes I've used. Something about seeing the exposed heater wire and loading and unloading this device makes it a very intimate experience.

Overall this is for sure is an upgrade from the 7 in terms of function.
a lot of good tidbits in here, glad you also enjoy your 8

also so jarring to see KingCobraJFS in unrelated areas of the internet lol

DennisFlonasal,
Reactions: Zillacon

Trulukkyphrank

I think a nice accessoire for on the go is a small "cup with lid", where the oven capsule fits in. While still hot just dump the oven capsule in the cup and close it. Without tweezers and finicky stuff, just rotate the fw 8 upside down over the cup and the oven capusle falls in the cup.
I search now for such a lidded cup that is enough big that it's easy to dump but small enough for on the go :)

What do other users think of this idea?

Trulukkyphrank,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I think a nice accessoire for on the go is a small "cup with lid", where the oven capsule fits in. While still hot just dump the oven capsule in the cup and close it. Without tweezers and finicky stuff, just rotate the fw 8 upside down over the cup and the oven capusle falls in the cup.
I search now for such a lidded cup that is enough big that it's easy to dump but small enough for on the go :)

What do other users think of this idea?
I think what you’re looking for would be like a little silicone pouch that people most often use for dabs.

You can also use an Altoids tin to dump hot caps into, and close back up to go in your pocket.

DryBonesufo

Phew Firewood 8 got sold out pretty quick, ordered mine on weds still no shipping info… anyone have any idea of the shipping times?

DryBonesufo,
Top Bottom