Firewood Vaporizer

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
Details please!
Mad Heaters Revolve Gen II beta

I'm using it in direct flow mode with the intercooler. It's even more cooling than the original. I have old man smoker lungs. I'm ripping this thing a new one.

acstorfer,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Some random (mostly stoned) observations after living with the FW8 for a while:

• When I first got it I was using it exclusively while I got the hang of it. Then I switched off between the 7 and 8 to form some comparison opinions. Now I find myself back to using the 8 exclusively just because it's so damn easy.
  • I never thought of myself as much of a cloud chaser, but damn if I'm not spewing vapor like a steam locomotive ("rolling down the track") after hitting this thing.
  • I suppose a clear indication of the 8's effectiveness is that I often forget how many hits I've taken or what temp I'm at.
  • I noticed last night that on a full charge, the 8 reached temp faster than I could exhale to empty my lungs.
  • I was originally unsure about the increased play on the 8's control button, but I realized last night that I have unconsciously adjusted my button-mashing technique and we get along perfectly well now.
  • I started out trying to use the 8 with the homemade cooling whip I used on the seven, but the slightly larger ID of the 8's cooling stem makes for a less secure fit. So I've just been hitting it native. The mouthpiece does get a bit warm after a few high-temp hits and things can get a bit harsh towards the end if I'm not paying attention to draw length, etc. At some point I'm gonna have to get off my ass and either get some wider tubing or some other cooling solution. I like the whip solution because I don't have to keep the unit "glued" to my face during use. Can anyone with better measuring tools/skills (I have none) tell me the ID of the 8's stock stem?
  • Historically, I was always a fan of 18650s and after my own personal Grasshopper debacle, I avoided proprietary batteries like the plague. But these battery packs have won me over. I can swap one out mid session without losing heat from the bowl, charging is simple and Nitecore-free, and I don't have to worry about catastrophic failure due to user stupidity.
  • When it comes to ease of cleaning, the 8 has the 7 beat by a good margin. I just drop the cooling stem in a doob tube and fill it with iso. Cap, shake, and let sit while I swab out and rinse the ceramic elbow. Even after daily use, it barely needs any swabbing. It seems to collect much less reclaim/honey/whatever you want to call it than the 7, which could get pretty gunked up. Next, I pull the stem out of the doob tube and rinse off. I place the capsules into one of these, add the iso from the doob tube, top off with a bit more iso, cover, shake and let sit. Rinse those off, let everything air dry, and done!
  • The only part of the cleaning process that isn't dead simple is reassembling the ceramic elbow and its retaining spring. But even that is simpler than dealing with removing and preplacing the screen on the 7.
  • I've said before (as have others) that the 8 is not as sleek and aesthetically pleasing as the 7. But this thing has grown on me. I find myself thinking like the test pilots who say "What's beautiful is what works." Yeah, those jets are sleek and sexy, but the clunky gawky Apollo LEM took people to the fucking moon!!! And it performed above and beyond anything it was designed to do and saved the life of the Apollo 13 astronauts. I don't expect the FW8 to save my life, but who knows? Anyway, the 8's first-rate functionality makes it beautiful in my eyes.
  • A number of folks have characterized the 8 as nothing more than a 7.5. After living with it for a while I don't think I agree. I do see it as a synthesis of some of the best features of the 4 (capsules) and the 7 (hybrid heating, retractable stem), but it feels like a big step to me. And even if I concede the point, I'm okay with supporting Marc with this iteration. I hope he continues the iterative process when it comes time to start in on the 9. Maybe round off some edges and corners a la the 7 (especially on the handle of the chamber lid). How about a system of closed pods for easier spill-free travel? (Although he isn't kidding when he says that if you pack the bowl tightly, the material will stay put.) There was another idea I had but it's gone now.
Well, that's all for now. I gotta go rinse off my capsules.

Edit to add a couple more points.

TL;DR: FW8 FTW! Another winner from Marc.

Last edited:

Steel28

• When I first got it I was using it exclusively while I got the hang of it. Then I switched off between the 7 and 8 to form some comparison opinions. Now I find myself back to using the 8 exclusively just because it's so damn easy.
  • I never thought of myself as much of a cloud chaser, but damn if I'm not spewing vapor like a steam locomotive ("rolling down the track") after hitting this thing.
  • I suppose a clear indication of the 8's effectiveness is that I often forget how many hits I've taken or what temp I'm at.
  • I noticed last night that on a full charge, the 8 reached temp faster than I could exhale to empty my lungs.
  • I was originally unsure about the increased play on the 8's control button, but I realized last night that I have unconsciously adjusted my button-mashing technique and we get along perfectly well now.
  • I started out trying to use the 8 with the homemade cooling whip I used on the seven, but the slightly larger ID of the 8's cooling stem makes for a less secure fit. So I've just been hitting it native. The mouthpiece does get a bit warm after a few high-temp hits and things can get a bit harsh towards the end if I'm not paying attention to draw length, etc. At some point I'm gonna have to get off my ass and either get some wider tubing or some other cooling solution. I like the whip solution because I don't have to keep the unit "glued" to my face during use. Can anyone with better measuring tools/skills (I have none) tell me the ID of the 8's stock stem?
  • Historically, I was always a fan of 18650s and after my own personal Grasshopper debacle, I avoided proprietary batteries like the plague. But these battery packs have won me over. I can swap one out mid session without losing heat from the bowl, charging is simple and Nitecore-free, and I don't have to worry about catastrophic failure due to user stupidity.
  • When it comes to ease of cleaning, the 8 has the 7 beat by a good margin. I just drop the cooling stem in a doob tube and fill it with iso. Cap, shake, and let sit while I swab out and rinse the ceramic elbow. Even after daily use, it barely needs any swabbing. It seems to collect much less reclaim/honey/whatever you want to call it than the 7, which could get pretty gunked up. Next, I pull the stem out of the doob tube and rinse off. I place the capsules into one of these, add the iso from the doob tube, top off with a bit more iso, cover, shake and let sit. Rinse those off, let everything air dry, and done!
  • The only part of the cleaning process that isn't dead simple is reassembling the ceramic elbow and its retaining spring. But even that is simpler than dealing with removing and preplacing the screen on the 7.
  • I've said before (as have others) that the 8 is not as sleek and aesthetically pleasing as the 7. But this thing has grown on me. I find myself thinking like the test pilots who say "What's beautiful is what works." Yeah, those jets are sleek and sexy, but the clunky gawky Apollo LEM took people to the fucking moon!!! And it performed above and beyond anything it was designed to do and saved the life of the Apollo 13 astronauts. I don't expect the FW8 to save my life, but who knows? Anyway, the 8's first-rate functionality makes it beautiful in my eyes.
  • A number of folks have characterized the 8 as nothing more than a 7.5. After living with it for a while I don't think I agree. I do see it as a synthesis of some of the best features of the 4 (capsules) and the 7 (hybrid heating, retractable stem), but it feels like a big step to me. And even if I concede the point, I'm okay with supporting Marc with this iteration. I hope he continues the iterative process when it comes time to start in on the 9. Maybe round off some edges and corners a la the 7 (especially on the handle of the chamber lid). How about a system of closed pods for easier spill-free travel? (Although he isn't kidding when he says that if you pack the bowl tightly, the material will stay put.) There was another idea I had but it's gone now.

Never had FW7 but have so many top tier vapes. Let me tell you, I’m in love with FW8 and echo all your observations bto. I said it before and will say it again. It’s a fucking beast.

Also after two cleaning sessions ceramic elbow and its retaining spring assembly is a breeze ;).

I would purchase again without any concerns. It’s so good!

Texus

I guess my biggest question for me on the FW8 is the ergonomics and UX. Just feels like a good deal of juggling pieces going on (capsule holder, bowl lid, capsules themselves). Which would seem to make things trickier, especially on the go.

Would also be great to have a way to connect the capsule holder to the FW8. But I am sure aftermarket options are coming.

Falconflys

TL;DR: FW8 FTW! Another winner from Marc
Hey @moondog, great review! I agree with all your comments and love the Apollo reference!
8mm is the inside of the fw8 stem!

Falconflys,
Reactions: moondog

moondog

I guess my biggest question for me on the FW8 is the ergonomics and UX. Just feels like a good deal of juggling pieces going on (capsule holder, bowl lid, capsules themselves). Which would seem to make things trickier, especially on the go.

I could see it being a bit busy if you were literally on the go, like on a hike or involved in a high-speed car chase ;). Especially if you needed to swap capsules before the chamber/spent capsule have cooled down. But it isn't too much at all for us more sedentary users.

As for the UX (assuming you mean the control button/scheme), like the FW7, it very quickly becomes second nature.

Would also be great to have a way to connect the capsule holder to the FW8. But I am sure aftermarket options are coming.

Yes, once enough of these babies are in the wild and the positive buzz builds up, we are sure to see some 3rd party accoutrements. I'm seriously considering contacting Ratchet at Delta 3D and asking him if he'll do a custom job to create a capsule loading tray for the FW8 caps. He did one for the FW4 caps. It was pricey because I covered the R&D costs (time/materials, etc.) but it still ranks as the best vape accessory I've ever purchased.

Hey @moondog, great review! I agree with all your comments and love the Apollo reference!

Yeah, they were giants in those days.

8mm is the inside of the fw8 stem!

Thanks!!!!:tup:

games-loaves0t

I appreciate the continued details! Out of curiosity, what is your process for cleaning the FE7’s chamber? I’ve never been able to figure that out. I’ve cleaned the stem multiple times, but how to clean the chamber has always mystified me.

games-loaves0t,

Falconflys

He did one for the FW4 caps. It was pricey because I covered the R&D costs (time/materials, etc.) but it still ranks as the best vape accessory I've ever purchased.
You have sparked my interest in this. Would you be able to post some pics? A visual would be nice.
And If you say it's that good of an accessory, I need to know more!😯

Falconflys,

moondog

I appreciate the continued details! Out of curiosity, what is your process for cleaning the FE7’s chamber? I’ve never been able to figure that out. I’ve cleaned the stem multiple times, but how to clean the chamber has always mystified me.

I pop out the screen from underneath using the plunger from a medicine syringe for babies. The screen gets an iso soak and then air dries. I swab out the walls of the chamber with an iso-soaked swab and let it air dry. When everything is dry I push the screen back in place from above using the plunger.

You have sparked my interest in this. Would you be able to post some pics? A visual would be nice.
And If you say it's that good of an accessory, I need to know more!😯

I've proven myself to be terrible at posting pics here but I'm going to try Shit Snacks' suggestion and use imgur.

Let me know if this works for the first photo. If it does I will post more:
Edit to add: HOLY SHIT! It worked. Okay. More pics and explanations to follow.

Edited again to add: Okay, now the pic doesn't appear in my post. I have to click on a blank space to get to the pic.

Edited yet again to add: Okay, now the pic is appearing in my post.

Last edited:

Falconflys

I pop out the screen from underneath using the plunger from a medicine syringe for babies. The screen gets an iso soak and then air dries. I swab out the walls of the chamber with an iso-soaked swab and let it air dry. When everything is dry I push the screen back in place from above using the plunger.

I've proven myself to be terrible at posting pics here but I'm going to try Shit Snacks' suggestion and use imgur.

Let me know if this works for the first photo. If it does I will post more:
Edit to add: HOLY SHIT! It worked. Okay. More pics and explanations to follow.

Edited again to add: Okay, now the pic doesn't appear in my post. I have to click on a blank space to get to the pic.

Edited yet again to add: Okay, now the pic is appearing in my post.
When ya figure out the imgur thing, it's like.... damn! I got it!
Ok... I kinda understand, but definitely need info. Looking forward to that!

Falconflys,

moondog

Okay, here we go with a full explanation:

Starting with the same first pic as before:

I'm only being allowed to post 5 pics so I left out the one showing how the assembled tray parts fit onto the 4-pronged stand you can see in the first pic. I suppose you can use it to push the loaded caps up out of the tray but I never do. I remove the top part of the tray and lift the caps out by hand.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm only being allowed to post 5 pics so I left out the one showing how the assembled tray parts fit onto the 4-pronged stand you can see in the first pic. I suppose you can use it to push the loaded caps up out of the tray but I never do. I remove the top part of the tray and lift the caps out by hand.

The five photo limit is tricky, but the easiest way around it especially with imgur, is if you post all the photos into one album, you can just paste the URL here and it will display the entire album in one image with right and left arrows to click (so you could do that five times and share unlimited amount of photos in one post by the way, you don't have to post them separately like you do with imgbb)

Falconflys

Okay, here we go with a full explanation:

Starting with the same first pic as before:

That is just how I pictured it working. Very slick! I would definitely be in on something like that for the 8!

Falconflys,

moondog

The five photo limit is tricky, but the easiest way around it especially with imgur, is if you post all the photos into one album, you can just paste the URL here and it will display the entire album in one image with right and left arrows to click (so you could do that five times and share unlimited amount of photos in one post by the way, you don't have to post them separately like you do with imgbb)

Cool. Thanks! I guess I thought I did post them into one album but clearly not. That'll be for next time.

That is just how I pictured it working. Very slick! I would definitely be in on something like that for the 8!

If people are interested, let me know. I'll contact Ratchet and see if he's up for another custom build. If he knows there are a number of folks willing to spring for it he might be more willing to put in the R&D.

Falconflys

Cool. Thanks! I guess I thought I did post them into one album but clearly not. That'll be for next time.

If people are interested, let me know. I'll contact Ratchet and see if he's up for another custom build. If he knows there are a number of folks willing to spring for it he might be more willing to put in the R&D.
I'm in!
But I really don't see a need for the 4 prong piece. Seeing how the 8 caps are so much shallower just the 2 pieces would work great.
4 caps=4 spots!

moondog

I'm in!
But I really don't see a need for the 4 prong piece. Seeing how the 8 caps are so much shallower just the 2 pieces would work great.
4 caps=4 spots!
Well, I just went went to his site to see if I could jog my memory about that 4 prong piece.

Go ahead and start laughing at me now. I'll wait.....

Okay, everyone done? Good.

The 4-prong part is a tamping tool. It allows you to tamp down all the caps at once. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

<Heavy sigh>

In my defense, my usage case only includes loading multiple caps on VERY rare occasions, so I completely forgot about that feature.

If he's willing to do this I'll need to send him one of my capsules so that he can get exact measurements, but that's fine. He's super conscientious and reliable like Marc. (I guess when it comes to vape vendors I "have a type".)

Once I get a sense of how many folks might be interested I'll email him and see if he wants to take it on.

Falconflys

Well, I just went went to his site to see if I could jog my memory about that 4 prong piece.

Go ahead and start laughing at me now. I'll wait.....

Okay, everyone done? Good.

The 4-prong part is a tamping tool. It allows you to tamp down all the caps at once. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

<Heavy sigh>

In my defense, my usage case only includes loading multiple caps on VERY rare occasions, so I completely forgot about that feature.

If he's willing to do this I'll need to send him one of my capsules so that he can get exact measurements, but that's fine. He's super conscientious and reliable like Marc. (I guess when it comes to vape vendors I "have a type".)

Once I get a sense of how many folks might be interested I'll email him and see if he wants to take it on.
It would be bad ass if it was round and grinder size. I know there's different size grinders, but I think 2 or 2 1/2 is common. Then just put the grinder part on top (without bottom piece or pieces), hold in one hand and grind right into the loader! I would need a 2 1/2 round please!

Falconflys,

moondog

It would be bad ass if it was round and grinder size. I know there's different size grinders, but I think 2 or 2 1/2 is common. Then just put the grinder part on top (without bottom piece or pieces), hold in one hand and grind right into the loader! I would need a 2 1/2 round please!

Thing about that is that the R&D costs would be much higher. He uses an iterative design process that uses 3D printer code from previous models and tweaks dimensions to create the new widget. I don't believe any of his existing trays are round so that means he's starting from scratch. If that is the case he may not be as willing to take on a special order as we approach the holiday season.

Your grinder-friendly idea is intriguing but it wouldn't work for me so I would rather stick with a square 2x2.

Falconflys

Thing about that is that the R&D costs would be much higher. He uses an iterative design process that uses 3D printer code from previous models and tweaks dimensions to create the new widget. I don't believe any of his existing trays are round so that means he's starting from scratch. If that is the case he may not be as willing to take on a special order as we approach the holiday season.

Your grinder-friendly idea is intriguing but it wouldn't work for me so I would rather stick with a square 2x2.
Thanks for the explanation!
Now I can understand why the small tweaks to the existing is the way to go. Much smaller footprint also.
I look forward to seeing the proto or finished product!

Falconflys,

Oil420FL

Mad Heaters Revolve Gen II beta

I'm using it in direct flow mode with the intercooler. It's even more cooling than the original. I have old man smoker lungs. I'm ripping this thing a new one.
Well I guess I’m buying the Gen II upgrade rather than selling mine to help pay for my FW8 when it’s my turn. Thanks!

hippogriff

All these points are awesome and 100% correct. Aesthetics are the only weakness - some extra rounding would help, a longer battery compartment would help, all cherry or all walnut would help, anything to remove details, just too many details. BUT small size, excellent materials, and build quality mitigate the issues in-person, and function is supreme.

FW7 was the simplicity rules of design plus the hybrid heater, a huge step forward. Before the 7, Firewoods were subtle convection vapes, superior extractors that you had to use w intention. FW7 made things easy and reliable in all circumstances, all issues of other convection or conduction vapes were solved in the 7 simply by holding the button down a bit longer. Superior extraction, superior ease-of-use, but you could point to other vapes (eg TinyMight) that beat FW in raw power.

And that’s why FW8 isn’t a 7.5, because in addition to the airflow upgrade and usb-c and capsule system, upgraded convection means Firewoods are now beasts, too. Clouds are easy. The last reason to choose another vape over the FW is gone IMO. How do you follow a sleeper hit? This is the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom