• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
For those consistently getting consistent ABV, what's your typical grind consistency, and tamp?

I use a BCG Medium plate and a SCS, so my material tends to be kinda fluffy. As far as my tamp, I've tried really light (just enough to keep it from falling out), to packed down a bit. My bowl is usually about 3/4 full as well. Temps are set to 390/400/410 (new settings), and I temp step through all three usually, with about 2 hits per setting. I've also played around with draw speed and how long I hold the button as well.

My abv always tends to be kinda green in the middle, and charred around the edges. Trying to figure out how to get more even ABV and extraction. However, I will say when I've stirred; I'm not getting anything else vapor-wise or taste-wise out of the "green" material, so it may still have all the good stuff stripped off anyway.

BCG medium and a "medium" tamp also. The tamping is subjective and nearly impossible to describe over text IMO, but I tamp down with slightly more pressure than "barely tamped." lol

Seriously though I dont crank down on the thing but I do apply a slight amount of pressure past a light tamp, to what I would just describe as a medium tamp.

The top layer, but middle of that, usually is a bit lighter. I think below the surface is generally cooked more, with the most cooked obviously being in contact with the oven walls.

Hmm I try to use a more fine grind if I can, be it in BCG medium or BCG fine, I grind upside down a bit first for more consistent medium fine grind. I don't think FW7 is as good with larger uneven chunks, that would lead to a less even extraction in my experience...

Phill_Swan

Hmm I try to use a more fine grind if I can, be it in BCG medium or BCG fine, I grind upside down a bit first for more consistent medium fine grind. I don't think FW7 is as good with larger uneven chunks, that would lead to a less even extraction in my experience...
I agree a medium to fine grind is certainly preferred.

I feel like making sure getting out any weird stem chunks on this is a must as well. You can sometimes see in the bowl where a piece of stem is being stubborn and preventing the the inner part of the bowl from being vaped as it should.

Last edited:

rvarick

Longevity definitely seems like a concern, not really in terms of anything Firewood did wrong; it just comes with the territory of using wood. I feel that I am more cautious with my Firewood 7 than my other vapes.

Anybody using this on the go with them, any great storage/case solutions that you guys recommend with the Firewood 7?
This is the case I use. It fits the Firewood 7 really well and offers a lot of protection:
Hermitshell Hard EVA Travel Case Fits Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux.

Phill_Swan

I have found that I can extract roughly finger broken bud perfectly well when necessary. The only thing that needs to be done differently is retamp the now expanded bud after the first hit. It does take some punch out of that first hit though.
To kind of expand on this does anyone feel that this does better with smaller bowls? For instance I would rather smoke two separate bowls than fill the thing up to 90% capacity and smoke one larger one.

west-elec

My abv always tends to be kinda green in the middle, and charred around the edges. Trying to figure out how to get more even ABV and extraction. However, I will say when I've stirred; I'm not getting anything else vapor-wise or taste-wise out of the "green" material, so it may still have all the good stuff stripped off anyway.
I find once the heat is into the bowl you can ramp up the draw speed, more than you think you could get away with and not overload the heater. The convection cooks the top layer that still looking green, so maybe you can afford a faster draw speed. Charred edges sounds like too much conduction not enough convection.

Shit Snacks

To kind of expand on this does anyone feel that this does better with smaller bowls? For instance I would rather smoke two separate bowls than fill the thing up to 90% capacity and smoke one larger one.

Yes that has been my experience, I do a wide range, sometimes I fill it 3/4 full, often half full, and everytime I fill it only 1/4 full, I am actually so impressed with the performance that I think I should always load less too!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Hmm maybe I should re consider and go for a finer grind.

My own fault, grind consistency is something I almost never play with at all. I've never even tried my fine or course BCG plate, or even bothered to grind upside down. Interesting though.

At least its easy enough, can even set up one of my grinders to be the standard fine grind option and have the other stay on the coarser side.

Shit Snacks

Haha yeah I have an entire BCG with medium plate, and another BCG with the fine plate (plus the flower mill now too and united machining coming) but I always grind upside down at first to get better overall consistency with either plate, and I'll do more grinding upside down the finer I want the grind to be... For FW7 I mostly want a consistent medium fine grind, so I'm usually using my BCG fine, though it does depend on the exact herbs I'm using too since I have a wide variety of strains and nugs as well!

Phill_Swan

Haha yeah I have an entire BCG with medium plate, and another BCG with the fine plate (plus the flower mill now too and united machining coming) but I always grind upside down at first to get better overall consistency with either plate, and I'll do more grinding upside down the finer I want the grind to be... For FW7 I mostly want a consistent medium fine grind, so I'm usually using my BCG fine, though it does depend on the exact herbs I'm using too since I have a wide variety of strains and nugs as well!
Yup. Exactly. Laziness here too :lol:
I tend to stick to just the medium plate on my BCG...I'm too lazy to keep changing for a single digit increase in efficiency lol
Do you all Feel that the BCG is worth the price? I just use different grinders for different classifications of strains. but am certainly not against picking one up.

Jah75

Do you all Feel that the BCG is worth the price? I just use different grinders for different classifications of strains. but am certainly not against picking one up.
I definitely think it is. The grind consistency and quality are great (to me its a lot like the SCS) but the real deal sealer for me is no threads...nothing aggravates me more than gunked up/hopped threads....

Jah75,
Reactions: rvarick

Tombudster

Does anyone know if Marc is on vacation or something? Still missing my glass tube and the wooden holder piece for it and I haven't heard back from him in a week and a half in regards to shipping it out. It's been 3 weeks since I first mentioned it not being included with my order.

Tombudster,

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@Phill_Swan Yes 100%. I would say the same for the Flower Mill, although I haven't had it nearly enough time to use it enough to get a proper feel.

But yeah if I lost either of them today I would order another tomorrow. Especially the BCG. Check out the thread they have here if you haven't already

BCG fine it is! Or I do have those ultra fine flower mill screens too... Interested to see what differences I'll notice, if any.

Shit Snacks

Yeah I bought both of mine during their 420 sale, a year apart, extra 10% off, they do it for Black Friday and Boxing Day as well... Check out the thread, but I'll tell you here the best feature of the BCG is that it literally never locks up because the design has these side teeth in the lid, so you never need to clean it and it will always turn smooth! (Flower Mill is a totally different design that is also extremely smooth to use, like shockingly so) Perhaps my favorite thing about the BCG, even aside from the lack of threading and anti-locking, is how absolutely gorgeous they look! That is another reason why I bought two, for different strains, but to have more colors (and I am tempted to get more still!)

@BrianTL just be careful with a fine grind, it will get your vape dirtier quicker, particularly the screen of course. That's why I don't like to go too fine, if there is some powder, I try to put it on top of more coarse bits...

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Yeah I bought both of mine during their 420 sale, a year apart, extra 10% off, they do it for Black Friday and Boxing Day as well... Check out the thread, but I'll tell you here the best feature of the BCG is that it literally never locks up because the design has these side teeth in the lid, so you never need to clean it and it will always turn smooth! (Flower Mill is a totally different design that is also extremely smooth to use, like shockingly so) Perhaps my favorite thing about the BCG, even aside from the lack of threading and anti-locking, is how absolutely gorgeous they look! That is another reason why I bought two, for different strains, but to have more colors (and I am tempted to get more still!)

@BrianTL just be careful with a fine grind, it will get your vape dirtier quicker, particularly the screen of course. That's why I don't like to go too fine, if there is some powder, I try to put it on top of more coarse bits...

Agreed with all of the BCG sentiments - I'm pretty sure it hasn't lost the slightest smoothness since I've had it, and I've never cleaned it. Night and day from my previous grinder, I would clean it, and after the first grind it would already start sticking. Its soo unbelievably smooth...never locks up, grinds through whatever I put it in without an issue, no threads make it extremely convenient...

It's almost like one of those things you would never really think a grinder could impress you like that, but it does....

@Shit Snacks Hmm those are good points. Thanks for mentioning that!

Now I'm thinking I'll mill the finer stuff, hopefully less dust that way. We'll see. Maybe I'll just fuck around with everything and see what works best lol

Phill_Swan

Hmmm well now I am even more interested. Does the Brilliant Cut Grinder have any issues with the flower going through to the bottom chamber? That is one thing that drives me crazy on Space Case is I am constantly having to get some kind of tool to poke the flower through.

Good tip on the fine grind, sorta of like loading Keif bowls.

Phill_Swan,
Reactions: Jah75

Shit Snacks

Hmmm well now I am even more interested. Does the Brilliant Cut Grinder have any issues with the flower going through to the bottom chamber? That is one thing that drives me crazy on Space Case is I am constantly having to get some kind of tool to poke the flower through.

Good tip on the fine grind, sorta of like loading Keif bowls.

Yeah head over to the thread, in the vapor related equipment section here, because I can't really answer your question so well since it depends greatly how you use it and what you are using in it! I will say I don't think I ever have an issue poking through the holes, I'm a little ocd and like to take a toothpick after each grind to poke out from any crevices, especially when I am grinding upside down. I think with regular use though, not much of an issue, definitely better than standard grinders' holes and teeth! I also like these grinders because I hate keif filtering, I prefer everything kept together in a three-piece, but sometimes you do get some of that keif powder when you are poking out the crevices, if I am fine grinding upside down especially with a dry strain... Using my SCS and SLX in similar ways, they would get so dirty, and lock up being impossible to turn comfortably, and the BCG does not suffer from these problems at all! Hype is Real ;)

Vaporware

For those consistently getting consistent ABV, what's your typical grind consistency, and tamp?

I use a BCG Medium plate and a SCS, so my material tends to be kinda fluffy. As far as my tamp, I've tried really light (just enough to keep it from falling out), to packed down a bit. My bowl is usually about 3/4 full as well. Temps are set to 390/400/410 (new settings), and I temp step through all three usually, with about 2 hits per setting. I've also played around with draw speed and how long I hold the button as well.

I’m using a NewVape Fine Grinder, I fill to around the air inlets in the bowl (or lower) and then apply a little extra pressure on top of the weight of the battery door to tamp it down, trying to only press once or twice in the same spot. It stays in place unless I shake it hard, but it’s not super tight.

I have had bowls that were pretty dark around the edges and light in the middle, and I think part of that was bad grind consistency and/or packing, but I think how you use the button may also make a real difference.

Here’s an example of a couple of draws as I time things:

Draw 1 (from cold, battery semi-low):
1. Press and hold button.​
2. Count until at-temp vibration (8 in this example).​
3. Count the same number (8) at the same speed without drawing.​
4. Count the same number (8) again while drawing at a low-medium speed with the button still held.​
5. Let go of the button and draw for twice as long (16). Reset buzz should come while drawing.​

Draw 2:

Identical except:
2. If you reheat soon after the first draw, use the count from draw 1 (8), or at least ~1.5x the new count because it will usually be a lot shorter (maybe 6?).​
4. The draw speed can be a little faster but I tend to stay in the medium range.​
5. Continue drawing after letting go of the button for 2-3x as long as the count you’re using (16-24 in this example). This should give you a medium-large draw and avoid too much post-draw flower cooking.​

Last draw of session:

Final change:
5. Draw for 3-4x the count, well past the cool-down vibration to help cool the chamber.​

Alternatively you can just take another draw without pressing the button. You’ll probably get a little vapor but not much.​
I’m not sure that I’ve nailed down the best possible way to use the FW7 and I think you could extend the ”drawing while holding the button” section if you want a larger hit, but I think this is a good starting point that will deliver medium-large hits from the second draw on.

I should note that I’ve only been using the 340 and 380 settings (1 and 2 default settings), starting at 340 and bumping it up 1/3-1/2 way through. 380+ from the start would deliver larger hits early on.

I don’t think the counting is really necessary either, just a way to roughly control the session as I get used to it. I’m sure I’ll stop counting once I’m consistently getting the results I want without having to think about it.

Oh, and for full battery sessions I’ve been setting the count more like 1.5x the first vibration gap. So like “Hold 1, 2, 3, 4, vibrate” means I go with a 6. Just sticking more in the 8 range may be fine too, but I figure if it’s heating up twice as fast it’s probably delivering more power throughout the draw too, so compressing the cycle a bit seems to work too.

I hope that helps someone, and if anyone improves on this formula please let us know!

This is the case I use. It fits the Firewood 7 really well and offers a lot of protection:
Hermitshell Hard EVA Travel Case Fits Anker PowerCore 10000 PD Redux.

Is this pocketable, or is it too bulky? I’d rather carry it with a case, but a significant part of its appeal is that I can keep it in my pocket.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Longevity definitely seems like a concern, not really in terms of anything Firewood did wrong; it just comes with the territory of using wood. I feel that I am more cautious with my Firewood 7 than my other vapes.

Anybody using this on the go with them, any great storage/case solutions that you guys recommend with the Firewood 7?
Been using a pelican 1120 case for the fw, wpa, grinder, 8 batteries, cooling mouthpiece, pokey, plus a small Swiss Army knife.

shatter-reality

I like to puff lightly on mine like a cigar while it gets to temp just so I can have heat stoking the entire bowl and then go for long hard-slow draws when it’s up to temp. Started loading way smaller bowls and using temp 2 to clear it in 3-5 hits. Need to get a WPA so I can really gauge how hitting it differently is.

Edit: Also that Ryot Ratpack Medium is such a perfect little guy. I’ve been throwing my stuff in an MJ Arsenal dab bag and putting it in my small backpack.

west-elec

I like to puff lightly on mine like a cigar while it gets to temp just so I can have heat stoking the entire bowl and then go for long hard-slow draws when it’s up to temp. Started loading way smaller bowls and using temp 2 to clear it in 3-5 hits. Need to get a WPA so I can really gauge how hitting it differently
The short break when you take the puffs makes all the difference in heat build up, amazingly. I always try for 1 hit extraction, looking for best experience with every draw. On paper the 7 shouldn't really suit me but it is better than the sum of its parts and I am always satisfied. It has that fuller flavour that the heating style gives which convection alone can't match. On demand hybrid is the future and the future is now.
The original thin stem is too hot for my long all or nothing draws, so I used the WPA exclusively until he came out with the cooling tube. Even though they do get hot too, I like the form and mouth feel so much I have forgotten about the WPA.

rvarick

Love how my Firewood is looking with the new cooling stem and wooden mouthpiece.
Great idea flipping the dimpled stem to allow the mistvape mouthpiece to be used! 👍 That would’ve been a cheaper option in my case vs. buying the longer (75mm) mistvape stem.

I am loving how the mistvape stem works, even without the wood mouthpiece. I think it’s a great cooling option all by itself. But with the wood mouthpiece on it, or the stock stem as you have it just adds that extra wow factor + comfort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom