Firewood Vaporizer

bornfree13

High,

I've had mine back about a week now and I think I found myself a great way to use it.

I use it with the WPA. I attached a J-Hook to FW7 with a M/M fitting.

This way I see the vapor and when it's close to milky I let go of the button and I keep hitting it till the next buzzer/vibration then I clear the J-Hook

The rubber band is just a little protection if it falls over on my desk

Enjoy, Stay Safe

TheManWithSomeGoals

All of these posts are making me want to try mine dry with a better stem. The standard one produces too dry of vapor for me. Love it through water. Would love to see a modded wpa that could house a cooling stem!

TheManWithSomeGoals,
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Dejayyy

If I was looking for a portable on the go vape (using mainly the dry mouthpiece) would you guys recommend the fw7?

Dejayyy,

firewood

Manufacturer
I am thinking about the design for a mouthpiece that can accept hula style and other third party stems. At the moment I am think about something very similar to the current mp, but it would have a slightly different ceramic part on the mouthpice, such that the glass stem fits over it instead of inside of it. This new ceramic part will have a cylinder coming off one end that will have orings that the glass fits over (like how a hula fits on a dynavap).

One challenge I have is that the ceramic parts are pretty expensive so I try to keep them as small as possible. For that reason I want the new ceramic part to be close in size to the one on the current mp. The cylinder that the moutpiece will fit over will need to protrude at least 1/4" or so to give enough room for an oring to engage with the glass. I could conceivably make that cylinder much longer, but that quickly adds a lot to the cost.

If I make it the same size as the current mp with 1/4" long cylinder, then the glass stem would need to be 3 1/2" long in order to stick out far enough past the end of the vape to be usable. The problem is that a lot of 3rd party stems are shorter than this (there are also quite a few that are longer).

I can think of a few solutions - use a really long cylinder on the ceramic part so that the stem can be pulled out far enough to use. I am not crazy about this solution because it would make the cost be more than $50 for the alternative mp which seems steep.

Another solution is to make a small wooden mp extender that would fit into the end of the glass stem and would allow stems as short as 2 1/2 inches to work.

Finally I could just say it only works if the stem is 3 1/2 inches or more.

What do people think? Do any of these seem appealing? Am I on the right track looking into these dynavap compatible stems or should I be looking into some other format? One idea I like about Hula and hula like stems is that I can leave that part of the mp slightly exposed so that the glass or other stem is visible on the outside, which might look cool.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I am thinking about the design for a mouthpiece that can accept hula style and other third party stems. At the moment I am think about something very similar to the current mp, but it would have a slightly different ceramic part on the mouthpice, such that the glass stem fits over it instead of inside of it. This new ceramic part will have a cylinder coming off one end that will have orings that the glass fits over (like how a hula fits on a dynavap).

One challenge I have is that the ceramic parts are pretty expensive so I try to keep them as small as possible. For that reason I want the new ceramic part to be close in size to the one on the current mp. The cylinder that the moutpiece will fit over will need to protrude at least 1/4" or so to give enough room for an oring to engage with the glass. I could conceivably make that cylinder much longer, but that quickly adds a lot to the cost.

If I make it the same size as the current mp with 1/4" long cylinder, then the glass stem would need to be 3 1/2" long in order to stick out far enough past the end of the vape to be usable. The problem is that a lot of 3rd party stems are shorter than this (there are also quite a few that are longer).

I can think of a few solutions - use a really long cylinder on the ceramic part so that the stem can be pulled out far enough to use. I am not crazy about this solution because it would make the cost be more than $50 for the alternative mp which seems steep.

Another solution is to make a small wooden mp extender that would fit into the end of the glass stem and would allow stems as short as 2 1/2 inches to work.

What do people think? Do any of these seem appealing? Am I on the right track looking into these dynavap compatible stems or should I be looking into some other format? One idea I like about Hula and hula like stems is that I can leave that part of the mp slightly exposed so that the glass or other stem is visible on the outside, which might look cool.

That sounds pretty cool, perhaps diagrams could help illustrate the difference between the proposed solutions? I think I have an understanding but I'm not sure exactly what the difference in use will be... Nice work!

bornfree13

If I make it the same size as the current mp with 1/4" long cylinder, then the glass stem would need to be 3 1/2" long in order to stick out far enough past the end of the vape to be usable. The problem is that a lot of 3rd part stems are shorter than this (there are also quite a few that are longer).

High Marc,

I have an idea that Looks good on paper. I'l make a crude drawing, sorry that's the best I can do, and I'll send it to you via e-mail

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Yeah...I'm not real clear on what you are aiming for so schematic drawings would help!

What's driving this mod, heat in the stem?

Can this new mod be retrofit to the existing FW7?

Fat Freddy,

firewood

Manufacturer
I'll sketch something soon. Right now it is just in my head. Yes, driving the mod is mainly heat in the stem - both the stem itself and the vapor. I am personally happy using the current stem when I'm not using the wpa, but people have complained the current one gets hot. I can see that angle too of course since when I am home I normally use the wpa with a dry bong and it is waay cooler and easier to take big rips than using the stock stem. If a hula stem gives the ability to take rips closer to my dry bong that would be awesome. Also a side thing driving it a bit is that i think people generally love to be able to use custom stems partly for aesthetic reasons. I'm thinking if the stem is exposed it allows cool looking stems to be shown off. Finally one other benefit would be to be able to see the vapor in the stem as it is coming out. Yeah the plan is definitely to work on existing fw7 with no changes.

almost there

Hi Marc, all the mentioned options sound more technical and detailed than I can visualize. Not speaking in terms of cost or added labor, a longer and wider glass mouthpiece would be a most welcomed improvement to the stock mp. When using the FW7 native I always pull the mp out as far as it would go without breaking contact with the ceramic square. I find the super slim glass coupled with the short length a bit difficult especially when the glass gets hot.

firewood

Manufacturer
Hi Marc, all the mentioned options sound more technical and detailed than I can visualize.
Yeah sorry I got pretty technical there. I guess what I am getting is that I want the adapter to be as universal as possible. In a perfect world it would work with anything. But then I go to sneaky pete's and I see all these wide spiral glass pieces that look awesome but that are never going to fit :( I still want it to be as universal as possible though. One issue with that is short stems. If they are less than 3 1/2 inches (ie hula or equivalent) then it won't work, unless I made a costly ceramic adapter (costly because it would have to be really long) or also included a small wooden mouthpiece tip that would fit into the end of the stem, essentially making it longer.

bornfree suggested in an email that the hula stem fit into a wooden hole like how the current wpa works. That would make the adapter more simple because it eliminates the need for a long ceramic part to allow short stems to work - if it is just a wooden hole that it fits into I can make that as long as I want to for low cost. The problem is that I think we lose universality when the adapter fits on the outside of the glass. Glass tubing in general has a lot of variation in diameter. The variation might not be visible but it is absolutely enough to cause tolerance nightmares for vape designers. There have definitely been other vapes by various manufacturers that have been plagued by glass tubing dimension variations over the years. Orings are the savior but can't solve everything. I'd love people to be able to use wooden stems for example but that'd be tougher if the orings are on the outside since all the existing stems made for dynavaps are made to fit with oring on the inside.

Maybe it isn't so important for it to be universal. Maybe just offering the adapter with a cooling stem that is just the right length is good enough. Or maybe I just tell people with shorter stems to use a little wooden mouthpiece tip that I can also offer... any thoughts?

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Yeah sorry I got pretty technical there. I guess what I am getting is that I want the adapter to be as universal as possible. In a perfect world it would work with anything. But then I go to sneaky pete's and I see all these wide spiral glass pieces that look awesome but that are never going to fit :( I still want it to be as universal as possible though. One issue with that is short stems. If they are less than 3 1/2 inches (ie hula or equivalent) then it won't work, unless I made a costly ceramic adapter (costly because it would have to be really long) or also included a small wooden mouthpiece tip that would fit into the end of the stem, essentially making it longer.

bornfree suggested in an email that the hula stem fit into a wooden hole like how the current wpa works. That would make the adapter more simple because it eliminates the need for a long ceramic part to allow short stems to work - if it is just a wooden hole that it fits into I can make that as long as I want to for low cost. The problem is that I think we lose universality when the adapter fits on the outside of the glass. Glass tubing in general has a lot of variation in diameter. The variation might not be visible but it is absolutely enough to cause tolerance nightmares for vape designers. There have definitely been other vapes by various manufacturers that have been plagued by glass tubing dimension variations over the years. Orings are the savior but can't solve everything. I'd love people to be able to use wooden stems for example but that'd be tougher if the orings are on the outside since all the existing stems made for dynavaps are made to fit with oring on the inside.

Maybe it isn't so important for it to be universal. Maybe just offering the adapter with a cooling stem that is just the right length is good enough. Or maybe I just tell people with shorter stems to use a little wooden mouthpiece tip that I can also offer... any thoughts?

If what you're talking about is trying to make them compatible with DynaVap stems, I can tell you that has absolutely zero added value for me at least? I don't have a Ti tip vapcap or any of those hundreds of stem options for them (I know mistvape sells them with wooden mouthpieces like you describe) so at least in my mind it would not make it feel universal at all regardless... I'd still have to buy these stems specifically only for FW7.

Also another thing to keep in mind by the way, for hula type glass spiked cooler stems, they actually steal and retain a ton of heat as well and get hot to the touch... They kind of stay cooler at the tip at least, if there are no spikes there for like an inch give or take? The wood body will protect the rest of the glass stem heat from affecting the user, but this is something to keep in mind maybe, for the tip of the mouthpiece at least?

I'm also actually not such a fan of wooden mouthpieces, because they can't really be cleaned? They just get gross and dirty from mouth and vapor, also not as ideal to share (though sharing is kind of a thing of the past now anyway!) but I can see how it would mouthpiece would really help with extending the tip to a comfortable enough distance from the fw body, while also keeping it comfortably cool on the lips...

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
Or maybe I just tell people with shorter stems to use a little wooden mouthpiece tip that I can also offer... any thoughts?
To me, this sounds like a great option (mouthpiece tip or the extension piece) that’ll be compatible with most standard stems. More exotic stems like the Sidewinder etc can already be used through the WPA, so no loss there (or at least they can with the aid of a couple o-rings).

I’m not sure of your access to custom glass, but another option may be to offer a dimpled cooling stem of your own. We can then just pick between extra portability or extra cooling as needed. Having a standard stem size would be simpler, but would come at the cost of personalisation (although we still have the WPA for that as mentioned, so maybe this could work)

TastyCakeWasTasty,
Reactions: gingerbier

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I believe that in fact many folks prefer/enjoy wooden stems, myself included, so I would not throw the baby out with the bath water on that idea just yet. It sounds to me that you have two basic design interests that you would like to pursue. One is to improve the aesthetic of your "block of wood" and two, is to modify the "block of wood" to the extent that it does not require a WPA in order to sufficiently cool the vapor. That is certainly a vaping challenge with a long history, no doubt.

Does this sound about right, Marc? Are those you two basic objectives?

Ok...just a blue sky idea? What about a good-looking extension on your existing glass tube by using a hand-wrapped whip 'a 'la Lamart:

Whip

I can IMAGINE any number of methods to integrate said whip to the FW7 that could be eye-catching, bur Marc, we all know you are one of FC's premier wood makers already! 😊

Good luck with your re-envisioning!

caseball2051

What about an adapter like kgwoodcrafts makes that will fit into the wpa section? Her adapter allows users to use dynavap stems with their 19mm vapes

caseball2051,

firewood

Manufacturer
Sorry for wasting everybody's time on this discussion. It turns out there is a dead simple solution that only requires 3 orings. I just tried it and yeah, it comes close to a dry bong coolness. I coughed a bit, which I don't normally do, because I took in more than I thought I was taking because it was so cool. Here it is:
fw7withhula.jpg
Bad news though - I took this 1 picture then dropped the stem on the ground and it broke. Used it once, took 1 picture, done.

Shit Snacks

Sorry for wasting everybody's time on this discussion. It turns out there is a dead simple solution that only requires 3 orings. I just tried it and yeah, it comes close to a dry bong coolness. I coughed a bit, which I don't normally do, because I took in more than I thought I was taking because it was so cool. Here it is:
View attachment 2899
Bad news though - I took this 1 picture then dropped the stem on the ground and it broke. Used it once, took 1 picture, done.

Invention does not come without a cost? So is the vapor path partially wood this way?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: seki

seki

View attachment 2899

Just tested this myself. I feel like it's just as good as the bb9 with the WPA, much nicer ergonomics too.

Invention does not come without a cost? So is the vapor path partially wood this way?

I don't think anything changes when you add this to the native mouthpiece. I guess you do get the o-ring exposure, but the only wood in the vapor path is at the inlet I think.
fw7-native-extend.jpg

Shit Snacks

Just tested this myself. I feel like it's just as good as the bb9 with the WPA, much nicer ergonomics too.

I don't think anything changes when you add this to the native mouthpiece. I guess you do get the o-ring exposure, but the only wood in the vapor path is at the inlet I think.
fw7-native-extend.jpg

Oh adding it to the native mouthpiece, I guess that's not really an alternative mp solution per se, more parts and length.

Shit Snacks,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
View attachment 2899

It appears there are 4/5 O-rings attached to the OG glass MP? Then to retract the glass back into the FW7 one would have to remove the O-Rings each time? Might there be a rubber grommet that would make that fitting easier to accomodate?

Last edited:

firewood

Manufacturer
Oh adding it to the native mouthpiece, I guess that's not really an alternative mp solution per se, more parts and length.
Yeah, agreed, it isn't an alternative mp but it makes me wonder if an alternative mp is necessary. This method also has the added benefit of being significantly cooler than either the narrow stem or a wider stem alone since it uses both.
It appears there are 4/5 O-rings attached to the OG glass MP? Then to retract the glass back into the FW7 one would have to remove the O-Rings each time? Might there be a rubber grommet that would make that fitting easier to accomodate?
Yeah this is the biggest downside. Something other than 4/5 orings would definitely be an improvement. I think a short segment of silicone tubing might be the best bet, although it still prevent the glass from fully retracting. That might not matter so much though because the silicone tubing protects the glass so it might not nee to fully retract?

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
View attachment 2899

Dammit, of course this idea comes out when I don't have my fw7 to try it, I sent it to Mark for the firmware update. I like that you could possibly use a lot more than the Hula stems with the vape. If I can use my wood stems or even the Vortex from Simrell it would be a huge improvement. I'm guessing these O-rings are the same size as the one you use on the ceramic part?

bornfree13

Of course I still like my ideas. Especially the wpa turned into a hula stem holder.

Here's another way to use it. I just need a bigger ash catcher

View attachment 2899

Dropping glass must be the in thing. I just Smashed an Ash Catcher.

View attachment 2899

Dropping glass must be the in thing. I just Smashed an Ash Catcher.

Last edited:

rvarick

I'm loving the good new ideas getting hashed out here as far as options to connect third party stems to the FW7! One other thought that came to mind was whether one could use a 14mm elbow/whip adapter in FW7 WPA, and then connect the whip side to a Hula stem, etc. using o-rings? Not sure how wide these are.

Another option for any 14mm female cooling stems (like the DDave one I mentioned previously), is the same WPA option I've been using for my FW5 and 6 - a silicone "bung stopper", with the hollow part bored out at the top to connect to the glass stem on the FW.

4E394549-709F-4637-9D80-349AB9448462.jpeg

firewood

Manufacturer
Dammit, of course this idea comes out when I don't have my fw7 to try it,
I am sending all new units with a short segment of silicone tubing that is the perfect width needed to seal with dynavap sized stems. I'll send one with your repair as well (and any other repairs)
I'm guessing these O-rings are the same size as the one you use on the ceramic part?
Yes they are the same size as the one already used in the mouthpiece, however silicone tubing works much better since it stays in place, wheras orings move around too much.
w00!! Firewood 7 en route! :D
You are one of the first customer who gets the tiny silicone tube with your order, hope you enjoy!

Another option for any 14mm female cooling stems (like the DDave one I mentioned previously), is the same WPA option I've been using for my FW5 and 6 - a silicone "bung stopper", with the hollow part bored out at the top to connect to the glass stem on the FW.
That looks like a great option. You save money not having to get a wpa, plus it looks like it'd be more ergonomic than using a wpa with a small glass piece because of how it comes off straight instead of a right angle.

Top Bottom