Firewood Vaporizer

dieezus

Hey all, I've had my FW7 for a little bit and I want to optimize my experience.
  • Pack
    • Should I pack the chamber? I saw within the thread that most people pack their chamber tight, but when I do pack it I have trouble getting it brown all the way through.
  • WPA
    • Does anyone have any tips? What is your draw speed like when hitting it through water?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey all, I've had my FW7 for a little bit and I want to optimize my experience.
  • Pack
    • Should I pack the chamber? I saw within the thread that most people pack their chamber tight, but when I do pack it I have trouble getting it brown all the way through.

How much are you loading? Don't load it full, try a half pack, at most 3/4 full, you can even try a quarter full, consistent fine grind, you don't need to pack it super tight, but yes a nice pack works best with the above...

• WPA
    • Does anyone have any tips? What is your draw speed like when hitting it through water?

Depends on the water piece, try using upper level temps from the beginning of the bowl, it will heat up quicker this way, and ideally a piece where you can watch it fill, make sure you let go of the button early enough to clear out the hit and heat completely.

dieezus

How much are you loading? Don't load it full, try a half pack, at most 3/4 full, you can even try a quarter full, consistent fine grind, you don't need to pack it super tight, but yes a nice pack works best with the above...
I try to load a little bit below the air holes within the chamber. When you say half pack do you mean half of the distance between the holes and the screen, or between the top and the screen?

Depends on the water piece, try using upper level temps from the beginning of the bowl, it will heat up quicker this way, and ideally a piece where you can watch it fill, make sure you let go of the button early enough to clear out the hit and heat completely.

Interesting, do you ever use manual/unregulated mode?

dieezus,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I try to load a little bit below the air holes within the chamber. When you say half pack do you mean half of the distance between the holes and the screen, or between the top and the screen?

Yeah, never load all the way to the top haha, only below the air holes, so it sounds like you are loading a full bowl basically. I would say load half of what you are using normally, unless you want to milk it through water, then a full bowl can be good but hard to finish! And more even extraction when you load a little less I find, so experiment with less is for sure my advice

Interesting, do you ever use manual/unregulated mode?

No I've never actually tried it, didn't know it was a thing really until I read about it, but I don't need it, I run mine pretty low, can't even remember what my settings are exactly but they are below 400 all three of them...

Last edited:

dieezus

Yeah, never load all the way to the top haha, only below the air holes, so it's sounds like you are loading a full bowl basically. I would say load half of what you are using normally, unless you want to milk it through water, then a full bowl can be good but hard to finish! And more even extraction when you load a little less I find, so experiment with less is for sure my advice

No I've never actually tried it, didn't know it was a thing really until I read about it, but I don't need it, I run mine pretty low, can't even remember what my settings are exactly but they are below 400 all three of them...
Thank you for all the help.

fangorn

ok... new question...
how do you clean the bowl screen of the FW7?
you have to take it out of the unit I imagine... it's not too difficult to put back in place?

for my moving story, I eliminated the option of transport by boat... it's super long and just as risky...

I'll see how I manage to clean it thoroughly (I'm pretty good at that game) in the next few weeks... and I'll let you know later... but I think cleaning with acetone, followed by several days or weeks of inactivity, then perhaps a new cleaning with acetone, then the application of a wood conditioner should go a long way in reducing odors... all that in an anti-odor case ... inchallah !!

ah and by the way, if anyone has a spare ceramic that they don't intend to use, I'm (very) interested...

fangorn,

PossumMD

ok... new question...
how do you clean the bowl screen of the FW7?
you have to take it out of the unit I imagine... it's not too difficult to put back in place?

It's a bit of a pain. There is a little ledge that you've got to seat the screen in. My first time doing it, I blew out the next spent bowl and the screen went with it. Since then, I've been a lot more vigilant with seating it and run a couple of bowls through it to get it a little sticky and "set" before I blow out the spent herb.

PossumMD,
Reactions: fangorn

fangorn

It's a bit of a pain. There is a little ledge that you've got to seat the screen in. My first time doing it, I blew out the next spent bowl and the screen went with it. Since then, I've been a lot more vigilant with seating it and run a couple of bowls through it to get it a little sticky and "set" before I blow out the spent herb.
thank you for the quick reply... unfortunately that's what I imagined...

fangorn,

noobvaperct

Anyone get a response from Marc? I emailed him weeks ago asking if i can be on the mailing list for an 8 but got no response. Maybe i didn't have the right email?

Sir Wibble

Anyone get a response from Marc? I emailed him weeks ago asking if i can be on the mailing list for an 8 but got no response. Maybe i didn't have the right email?
Didn't someone say he was travelling. He may just be out and about getting away from it all and just be unreachable atm.

Sir Wibble,

Pcloudy

I can't even imagine what his inbox looks like ever since the fw7 became one of the most have vapes. I wonder if he has been stockpiling 8s in anticipation.

checkyourlibido

I can't even imagine what his inbox looks like ever since the fw7 became one of the most have vapes. I wonder if he has been stockpiling 8s in anticipation.
That’s what I’m hoping, but I doubt it. Even though the FW8 may only be an improved FW7, when things go to the customers, small issues sometimes pop up. And then future units may be modified.

I believe he’s seen that with previous units. My best guess is he wouldn’t stockpile. But I hope you are right.

checkyourlibido,

Pcloudy

I can't even begin to think about what else to improve on. It's already a great size. Maybe a better way to use a wpa? Back to waiting patiently for me.

Pcloudy,

attackpoints

Is the FW8 a must buy when it drops?

I've been thinking about this. I have one of the earlier units that I got off entexchange (rip) with the skinny mouthpiece. It was also an "unfinished" unit, meaning it wasn't treated with whatever oil Marc uses. I managed to get a backup unit on a day that Marc had missed adding stock on Sunday night, maybe back in November? When he was only offering finished units, with the hula stem. Other than those small changes, there isn't a difference between the units I have that I can tell.

I can't speak to other versions, but those are some small modifications between the FW7's run. From my standpoint, it might be better to be an early adopter.

Although following it's popularity, seems like it'll be more like a "absolutely if you have the chance" kind of buy. :lol:

When I think about how the 8 could improve the 7 my wishlist is:
-an oven that's separate from the battery chamber. Hate when I spill my bud in there.
-a better fire button, wish it were clickier
-better ergonomics (tho I do feel like Ron Swanson getting an iPod when I take a big hit, "THIS is an excellent rectangle!")

Is there anything else yall are hoping to see?

PossumMD

He has had some misses (the fw6, which I *was* gonna buy cos it fitted my usage). But it's usually a hit.

Also, can anyone help, ever since I removed the screen for a cleaning, my screen occludes really quickly.

Jacer

Marc is still repairing FW7's right? A literal tiny bit of water got onto the button without me noticing and I pressed it in, and now it's stuck depressed into the device. The electronics still function completely fine, the button is just stuck :/

This is one of my all time favorite vapes so I'll do anything to get it repaired, I just need someone to reassure me I'm not totally boned here lol I love this vape too much

Edit: It dried out a bit and I managed to wiggle it unstuck and it seems to be working as intended again!

Last edited:

EZ Wind

Lost Sailor
Is there anything else yall are hoping to see?
I definitely agree the FW8 should have a more tactile button. Also, I’d like to see the basic current design taken to the smallest most pocketable extreme. Maybe using an 18350 and a long slim design. The current user interface is perfect though - no lights, screens, or apps - just buzzes and one button.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Marc is still repairing FW7's right?

I am confident that he will take care of you. You may just have a bit of a wait given he's on the precipice of a launch. But when my button stuck he fixed it and got it back to me in a week while launching the 7.
I definitely agree the FW8 should have a more tactile button.

I agree that the button could use an upgrade. A more positive click so you can be sure you've got the number of presses you want, etc. And maybe a button mechanism that feels a little less fragile.

My guess is it's gonna be great.

Top Bottom