Firewood Vaporizer

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Thanks. I saw that post where a user uses a ribbon to take out the p26a. Is this a common problem, or just a few instances? I think I may be back at square one in my battery search.

Any other good batteries that go good with the Fw7 and TM, besides the vtc6's? I guess my research continues.

I frequently switch between VT6C and P26A in my firewood with out an issue (now)

At first my p26a's were getting jammed in there really bad and it was a fight to get them out. I think they're a little thicker than the VT6C's. It was a sketchy couple times of me trying to pry the walls outwards a little bit to give the cell clearance but it's all good now.

Took a hint from @SquirrelMaster and used my thumb to press down on the battery spring and compress it a bit. That pretty much solved my issue immediately. Any further stickiness just smoothed out over time but it wasn't a fight to get it out like it was before. Now both the VT6s and P26s fit securely and come out no problem

A ribbon might not be a bad idea though the first couple times

Vaporware

You say you found your answer, but I will still throw in my two cents, since the FW7 battery sled can be a little snug, I have not wanted to risk trying my molicell in mine as their wrapping seems to be on the thicker side (like Samsung 30Q and sometimes LG HE4 in my experience) and I did not want to risk any indent or tear to the wrap... However I know others like @BrianTL are using them without issue in their's, and it is a good cell, so I guess you will just see for yourself!

Thanks. I saw that post where a user uses a ribbon to take out the p26a. Is this a common problem, or just a few instances? I think I may be back at square one in my battery search.

Any other good batteries that go good with the Fw7 and TM, besides the vtc6's? I guess my research continues.

TL;DR I’m regularly using P26As and VTC6s now without much trouble. Tips for people still struggling below. :)

I’m the one who’s been using a ribbon (and I’m glad I did because it would have been pretty hard to get the P26As out the first several times without it. I actually had to pry the first one out with a tiny screwdriver. :rolleyes:

At this point I’m pretty sure I could do without the ribbon, and I’m using both P26As and VTC6s, but when I got it the second battery I used (the VTC6 with thinner wrap) still got its wrap gouged on the positive end. I think it does have a lot to do with the spring (and wood?) loosening up a little.

One more tip to keep the wraps safer until it loosens up:

Push the battery toward the spring as you insert or remove it. I use one thumb to push toward the spring and the other to push down, then my left thumb pushing into the spring and pulling up/over to force it toward the more open side (where the tamper on the battery cover slides in), and if it sticks I pull both sides of the ribbon (or just the left side which also pushes it up and toward the more open right side).

I suspect mine’s even tighter than most so I doubt everyone needs to do all of this, and if I had tried to smash the spring down a bit at first that might have helped, but if anyone had batteries that go in but stick on the way out, this might be helpful to you. :)

ezpz

I frequently switch between VT6C and P26A in my firewood with out an issue (now)

At first my p26a's were getting jammed in there really bad and it was a fight to get them out. I think they're a little thicker than the VT6C's. It was a sketchy couple times of me trying to pry the walls outwards a little bit to give the cell clearance but it's all good now.

Took a hint from @SquirrelMaster and used my thumb to press down on the battery spring and compress it a bit. That pretty much solved my issue immediately. Any further stickiness just smoothed out over time but it wasn't a fight to get it out like it was before. Now both the VT6s and P26s fit securely and come out no problem

A ribbon might not be a bad idea though the first couple times
TL;DR I’m regularly using P26As and VTC6s now without much trouble. Tips for people still struggling below. :)

I’m the one who’s been using a ribbon (and I’m glad I did because it would have been pretty hard to get the P26As out the first several times without it. I actually had to pry the first one out with a tiny screwdriver. :rolleyes:

At this point I’m pretty sure I could do without the ribbon, and I’m using both P26As and VTC6s, but when I got it the second battery I used (the VTC6 with thinner wrap) still got its wrap gouged on the positive end. I think it does have a lot to do with the spring (and wood?) loosening up a little.

One more tip to keep the wraps safer until it loosens up:

Push the battery toward the spring as you insert or remove it. I use one thumb to push toward the spring and the other to push down, then my left thumb pushing into the spring and pulling up/over to force it toward the more open side (where the tamper on the battery cover slides in), and if it sticks I pull both sides of the ribbon (or just the left side which also pushes it up and toward the more open right side).

I suspect mine’s even tighter than most so I doubt everyone needs to do all of this, and if I had tried to smash the spring down a bit at first that might have helped, but if anyone had batteries that go in but stick on the way out, this might be helpful to you. :)
Thanks @BrianTL, @Vaporware, and @Shit Snacks. It's always helpful to know some tips and tricks of potential problems, before getting the unit. Awesome.

I only have experience with vtc6's (TM), so I think I might broaden my battery horizons a little. I'll get a couple P26a's and some lg hg2's. Great. Now I gotta upgrade my nitecore 2 bay charger to a 4 bay charger.
I hope my Fw7 comes before my CC bill. Makes sleeping in the doghouse easier when you got a new toy. 😂

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
do those have the current capacity for the FW7? I use them i my DNA device, but i think they are only around 15 amps or less
Mine are rated at 20a?

LG HG2 should be rated for 20A, but according to the mooch tests I believe they actually come in at around 18A, like the Samsung 30Q that are rated for 15A but also come in at around 18A apparently...

Jah75

LG HG2 should be rated for 20A, but according to the mooch tests I believe they actually come in at around 18A, like the Samsung 30Q that are rated for 15A but also come in at around 18A apparently...
Well then...I might have to give them a shot. If the sag isn’t too bad the extra mah would be nice

Tolamang

Hi all!

I have a firewood 7 on its way with the green cooling stem and the WPA!

I was wondering if I could get some help?

First off, what kinds of adapters can I use in the WPA? Right now I only have a 14mm male to 18mm female adapter. I assume the 14mm male is the only thing that matters for it to fit?

How easy would this be to learn? What's the learning curve like compared to older firewoods? Is it easy to combust? Any advice or tips? I've had a lot of vapes but hoping this might be a bit more noob friendly to my gf who's just starting to vape with me. (for instance, she struggles to use the Prrl Neo a lot more than I do because she's never had to worry about all the intricacies of a convection vape whereas I have).

rvarick

Hi all!

I have a firewood 7 on its way with the green cooling stem and the WPA!

I was wondering if I could get some help?

First off, what kinds of adapters can I use in the WPA? Right now I only have a 14mm male to 18mm female adapter. I assume the 14mm male is the only thing that matters for it to fit?

How easy would this be to learn? What's the learning curve like compared to older firewoods? Is it easy to combust? Any advice or tips? I've had a lot of vapes but hoping this might be a bit more noob friendly to my gf who's just starting to vape with me. (for instance, she struggles to use the Prrl Neo a lot more than I do because she's never had to worry about all the intricacies of a convection vape whereas I have).
Re: your adapter and the WPA - the 14mm side will fit in the FW WPA (as this is sized for 14mm male adapters). Then as long as you have a way to get the 18mm female side of your adapter to pair with a water piece, etc. you'll be all set. Not sure what joint size you have on your piece(s), but all mine are 14mm female. If yours are either 14mm (not 18), or female (not male), you may need to pick up a new adapter. I use a 14mm Male to 14mm Male Grav brand adapter myself.

The learning curve for me on the FW7 was much less than the 5, or 6, as it's hybrid vs. all convection. It's the convection/draw speed that always takes some getting the hang of for me on different devices. It also wasn't easy to combust once I adjusted my temps down. This was more relevant for me as I had a early device with different temp estimates, and I was actually getting much higher temps than I was anticipating. Also key to not overcooking the load for me was not holding the button down for too long, and drawing faster than I was initially (again, used to convection). You'll get the hang of it quickly I'm sure. Enjoy your 7, as I'm sure you will!

And lastly I'll mention that everything of use I learned on the 7, I picked up from folks on here. So time permitting I'd recommend a read through of the past few pages, and post here with questions. Given I in particular had some minor initial struggles, you may want to look for where I've posted, and see what folks responded with, which were really helpful tips. This community is great, as is Marc if you run into problems or questions!

ezpz

Hey there FC community. My Fw7 and green stem are on its way. Very excited. Also got 2 lg hg2s and 2 P26as coming. I can finally give my TM a break from being the sole workhorse.

I've been vaping since 2018, but I only have four vaporizers, a 2018M, a little finger, extreme Q, and TM. So I have very limited experience. The Q is only to make balloons for my father-in-law. I vape outside so a desktop is worthless to me.

Anyways, I've been searching this thread to see if I needed to do a pre-cleaning before first use. The only posts I find just says how easy the Fw7 is to clean. I saw a few vapcap posts on how dirty they are brand new out the box..... about a month after I've been using mine, so I was a little grossed out. This is my first ceramic oven so I'm a little clueless. Do I need to do a thorough cleaning before use? Maybe just a burn-off? Or can I just succumb to my excitement and start flying once my spaceship arrives? 😁

west-elec

@ezpz Usually it's always a good idea to do a burn off, but I think the coil is encapsulated in the ceramic so probably not really necessary. If you were concerned an iso wipe of ceramic pieces and rinse of glass is easy. I think less important than most other vapes and I did nothing.
I do recommend you treat the wood if you ordered unfinished, but that can wait until you have taken your spaceship for a few flights 😇.

ezpz

I do recommend you treat the wood if you ordered unfinished
Yup. I got the unfinished one. I used only beeswax on my TM along with my oily hands. It darkened, but I think it looks great. Would beeswax be enough?

I probably will do just a burn off. Might not be needed, but not that hard to do either. But easier said than done when its not in my hands yet. 😁

ezpz,
Reactions: Jah75

west-elec

Yup. I got the unfinished one. I used only beeswax on my TM along with my oily hands. It darkened, but I think it looks great. Would beeswax be enough?
Yep, that's the stuff. That and your own oils will keep her looking good. If it doesn't gross you out too much nasal sebum is a great preserver. Rub some on every time you use and it should gradually get darker and more unique.

KinkyKankles

I haven't been able to find much info on previous releases, what's the release cycle usually like for the Firewoods? Do we have any idea on when we might be able to expect the FW8?

I've been considering getting the FW7, but if another newer version is right around the corner I certainly could wait.

KinkyKankles,

Shit Snacks

I haven't been able to find much info on previous releases, what's the release cycle usually like for the Firewoods? Do we have any idea on when we might be able to expect the FW8?

I've been considering getting the FW7, but if another newer version is right around the corner I certainly could wait.

In the fall perhaps, but really the FW7 just came out, I wouldn't wait! No FW8 news yet

Shit Snacks,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Ever get into one of those phases where all of your technology starts failing at once? I'm there now an the latest victim is my FW7.

Last night I suffered an unnerving FW equipment failure.

I was taking my first draw of the session on preset #1 (temp set to 360F). I released the button after 7 seconds and continued to draw while waiting for the shut-off buzz. But the buzz never came. I stopped drawing and tried pressing the button again and there was no feedback that the button was moving. It felt stuck. On a hunch I took another pull (still without pressing the button) and got a giant cloud. The heater was still cranking!!! After a third such draw I realized this was a dangerous situation.

The only way to stop it was to open her up and pull out the battery while trying not to burn myself on the ceramic pieces. I’m just glad I was on the lowest preset.

I reinstalled the battery and tried again to see if the problem would replicate and it did. (I don’t know that it matters but the battery had most of its charge, giving 4 beeps on the power level check.)

Sometimes it feel like the button isn’t depressing at all - it feels stuck – and I get no activation beep. Other times it engages correctly (with the slight haptic feedback accompanying the button push) but then doesn’t release and I have to pull out the battery to shut it down.

I've emailed Marc and am awaiting his reply. I am completely confident he'll sort it out and I'm thankful that in the meantime I have my FW4s to tide me over. Does make me consider buying another 7 to have as a spare...

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I noticed that after one session the battery was hot. After removing it, I noticed that the positive contact on the device, which is very close to the oven, was so hot that I couldn't even stay there with my finger against it.
Does this happen with your FW7? it's normal? it seems too hot.
Humm...
I'm going to start removing the battery after the sessions??

dzoinp,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I noticed that after one session the battery was hot. After removing it, I noticed that the positive contact on the device, which is very close to the oven, was so hot that I couldn't even stay there with my finger against it.
Humm...
When I first got my 7 I thought it was running really hot and sent it back to Marc to check out. He gave it the once over and proclaimed it to be fine; running within design specs. Got it back and never worried about it since.

Shit Snacks

Humm...

I've never tested the positive contact like that, but I've never noticed a warm battery after a session, and I always remove the lid right away to empty the bowl... Aside from the temps you are using, what type of batt are you using, that could be a factor??

KinkyKankles

Just purchased and soon to be a proud owner of a Firewood!

Any suggestions on the best batteries? Was looking at some of the Sony VTC5A's but wasn't sure if higher capacity might be better.

Shit Snacks

Just purchased and soon to be a proud owner of a Firewood!

Any suggestions on the best batteries? Was looking at some of the Sony VTC5A's but wasn't sure if higher capacity might be better.

Yeah the VTC6 also work great, with more capacity, maybe get one or two of each?

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom