Firefly 1, 2, 2+

overground55

When I am weak, the Lord is strong
Any dosing capsules or ways to more easily work with the herb on the FF 2+? That's the only thing that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this device: not being able to swap out the herb with capsules, and also the fact you have to stir to evenly cook the herb.

overground55,

west-elec

No, capsules would never work with this design. The bowl is wide and shallow to allow good convection flow and exposure area, so nothing would fit and style of heating would make vapour output crap. Swapping out is dead easy, provided you are in a protected spot. If you make an attempt in a breeze say goodbye to your load. Ditto stirring, but even out of the wind stirring isn't the easiest.
If you are willing to.play for flavour and accept some loss, then you can do without stirring, just may need an extra few hits with diminishing returns. Also very easy to under load the bowl slightly and just tap the sides against your hand to shake and stir the bowl without opening.
If you need to reload out and about it probably is wise to look elsewhere.

ginolicious

Capsules would never work like @west-elec said. And this define kills it. It’s amazing. Just having to stir every few hits is not a big deal. It’s great for quick potent flavourful hits.

ginolicious,

overground55

No, capsules would never work with this design. The bowl is wide and shallow to allow good convection flow and exposure area, so nothing would fit and style of heating would make vapour output crap. Swapping out is dead easy, provided you are in a protected spot. If you make an attempt in a breeze say goodbye to your load. Ditto stirring, but even out of the wind stirring isn't the easiest.
If you are willing to.play for flavour and accept some loss, then you can do without stirring, just may need an extra few hits with diminishing returns. Also very easy to under load the bowl slightly and just tap the sides against your hand to shake and stir the bowl without opening.
If you need to reload out and about it probably is wise to look elsewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion of underfilling the bowl and tapping it to stir it around. Just out of curiousity, would something like a herb press be a useful solution? https://vapenorth.ca/products/highb...press-fury-2-fury-edge?variant=31604920713294
I saw this for the fury edge, seemed like a clean solution. I also thought that maybe packing in an ungrinded herb could work too, or do you find you lose something when you don't have freshly ground herb in your 2+?

overground55,
Reactions: west-elec

overground55

some people do just break off a small piece and vape it without grinding.
What's your experience been with that like? On one hand, it seems like you wouldn't have to stir, which to me seems like a plus, but perhaps the flavor isn't as strong, or it loses some of it's potency?

overground55,

west-elec

Thanks for the suggestion of underfilling the bowl and tapping it to stir it around. Just out of curiousity, would something like a herb press be a useful solution? https://vapenorth.ca/products/highb...press-fury-2-fury-edge?variant=31604920713294
I saw this for the fury edge, seemed like a clean solution. I also thought that maybe packing in an ungrinded herb could work too, or do you find you lose something when you don't have freshly ground herb in your 2+?
No that won't work. Too tightly packed and airflow will not be even through the herbs and performance would suck. I reckon you'd either get nothing or more likely combust. I thought an edge was hybrid, can't press a hybrid load really either, maybe a conduction vape but no too extreme.
Like @ginolicious said whole nugs do work...ok...but to get full extraction you need to hit and turn the nug, then hit and break it up and hit again, which is stirring big time.
Best results are from a course grind with some stirring needed. Not for flavour, that is probably best unground, but you may not get all those hard to reach places without some involvement.

west-elec,

overground55

No that won't work. Too tightly packed and airflow will not be even through the herbs and performance would suck. I reckon you'd either get nothing or more likely combust. I thought an edge was hybrid, can't press a hybrid load really either, maybe a conduction vape but no too extreme.
Like @ginolicious said whole nugs do work...ok...but to get full extraction you need to hit and turn the nug, then hit and break it up and hit again, which is stirring big time.
Best results are from a course grind with some stirring needed. Not for flavour, that is probably best unground, but you may not get all those hard to reach places without some involvement.
I appreciate you settling the matter for me. I may still end up getting the firefly, as it seems like a really solid device, minus a few nice-to-haves. Regardless, thanks for the feedback.

overground55,

Vizyt91

I appreciate you settling the matter for me. I may still end up getting the firefly, as it seems like a really solid device, minus a few nice-to-haves. Regardless, thanks for the feedback.
Just to let you know, you need to have +10sec long draw to ensure you to have the best hit with the firefly 2+ and the airflow is more on the restricted side, :2c:

ginolicious

I’ve had mine for about a year. I love it. Out of all my devices. It s my favourite.

I do not find it restrictive like an Air or Solo. I have no issues pulling on it for 15 seconds. And I do have a lung condition. I love stirring every few hits. Gives best vapor production. I have never broken off a nug. I grind my weed and stir after every few hits. Works the best for me. Love the device. Was so happy when I got it.

ginolicious,

Vizyt91

I’ve had mine for about a year. I love it. Out of all my devices. It s my favourite.

I do not find it restrictive like an Air or Solo. I have no issues pulling on it for 15 seconds. And I do have a lung condition. I love stirring every few hits. Gives best vapor production. I have never broken off a nug. I grind my weed and stir after every few hits. Works the best for me. Love the device. Was so happy when I got it.
Don’t get me wrong, I love mine too , I just try to point out it is more restricted than my others vapes (minivap, mighty, sbj, gh and splinter z) 😜 and you really need to take long draw with it.

Vizyt91,

maremaresing

Cool ... surprised at the battery life though ... I always heat the 1st bowl through a full 12 second blink cycle without drawing and then take my first slow long pull ... only requires about 5 or so secs of power and then release the button once you taste /sense you're there ... the rest of the draw is pure convection ... I like to go well over 20 sec ... maybe depress the button for a sec or so a few times but thats about it ... I usually get about 3 long pulls before my battery goes red .... easily enough for a bowl remembering to stir in between pulls and give it a 5 blink reheat prior to subsequent pulls.

not great but a billion times better than the FF1 battery

Wow, maybe I'm expecting too much. I mean, I clearly am given that it is only 770 mAh and that's very small. I'm getting more pulls than you are, for sure. Of course, different use gives different battery life and I don't need this vape to give endless battery life anyway.

The best part I've seen about the ff2 battery in my ff1 is that it charges back up in 20-25 minutes! That's nothing. Plus, temperature doesn't sag during the draw as much, so I get good vapor from 7 second draws. I could even combust if I really wanted to.

The screen though? TOTAL GAME CHANGER. Heat stays in the oven better and spreads more evenly across the load. I don't even have to stir, really. :o And the screen makes it so I never have to worry about sucking particles in the airpath. I can just change my draw speed based on vapor and not upsetting the oven. And it keeps things cleaner overall. No more opening the lid and setting off an ABV grenade!

Still in awe of how pretty it is :love:

Z3VhSSg.jpg

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Wow, maybe I'm expecting too much. I mean, I clearly am given that it is only 770 mAh and that's very small. I'm getting more pulls than you are, for sure. Of course, different use gives different battery life and I don't need this vape to give endless battery life anyway.

Exactly ... I don't ever run my batteries to red ... my point was that the FF2 battery while not great still made the Firefly 1 usable so we could argue terminology all day but in my mind, it was a game changer for the FF1 ... no doubt

Just get a spare or two and you'll do just fine ... glad you're loving the screen mod
.. take care

Ps ... yes ... she sure is a beaut .... late edit ... added a snap of mine with her little sister ... makes me miss my old FF2 ... still hoping for a FF3 ...

Screenshot_20210406-201943_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
NYC_Frank,

dadan

hi guys, I have a FIrefly 2 (not the + version), for long time in a drawer. I wanted to use it again but the two batteries present at the purchase no longer hold charge and are always at zero. If I put them in charge, the blue LED flashes forever without ever becoming fixed, then when I check via the app the charge level says zero. So I bought a new battery, I recently received it. It is pre-charged for a third of the capacity and using it everything works regularly. But if I charge it, it now blinks blue 3 times and then turns solid red. Usually solid red is for high heat but in this case the firefly was not used and therefore perfectly cold. Have you an idea of why? thanks

dadan,

Silveradio

I also have the 2016 Firefly 2 since it's inception. Let me ask, since popping the FF2 out of the drawer, has it been updated to the latest firmware? I know for me at times the FF2 was kinda quirky in it's flashing blue or red lights. I'd have to take the battery out and reinsert it sometimes a couple of times to get it to function somewhat normally. Since the FF2+ came out there was a firmware update. Now all functions pretty much work like they are suppose to, even flashing blue to solid every time you engage the side buttons. Do you use the cradle charger or the one you take the battery out to charge? Maybe the contacts on the charger/chargers are gunked up or the new battery is suspect. They do suggest before using the new battery to fully charge it.

Silveradio,

einvape

Hey folks,
since the FF2+ experience seems to be highly dependent on how you draw, I was wondering what is your "go-to drawing technique"?

When I got my FF I started out with strong draws (until I heard a distinct whistling) and kept that up until the green light turns off.
However, now I prefer to let it heat up a little longer (so waiting an extra second or two after it stopped blinking) and then take only short puffs (similar to these stereotypical puffs you see people take from a pipe or cigar) with a somewhat weak draw (just below being able to hear the whistling sound). In between taking these puffs I breathe in and then closer to the end of the 12s heating cycle I just draw all the time and then try to keep in the vaporized air for as long as possible. This technique seems to give a potent high that sets in incredibly fast for a vaporizer.

Looking forward to hearing about your favorites :sherlock:

Last edited:
einvape,
Reactions: tykb

ginolicious

Hey folks,
since the FF2+ experience seems to be highly dependent on how you draw, I was wondering what is your "go-to drawing technique"?

When I got my FF I started out with strong draws (until I heard a distinct whistling) and kept that up until the green light turns off.
However, now I prefer to let it heat up a little longer (so waiting an extra second or two after it stopped blinking) and then take only short puffs (similar to these stereotypical puffs you see people take from a pipe or cigar) with a somewhat weak draw (just below being able to hear the whistling sound). In between taking these puffs I breathe in and then closer to the end of the 12s heating cycle I just draw all the time and then try to keep in the vaporized air for as long as possible. This technique seems to give a potent high that sets in incredibly fast for a vaporizer.

Looking forward to hearing about your favorites :sherlock:

I pull long and slow.

ginolicious,
Reactions: NYC_Frank

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Maybe some of you more experienced ff2 + folks can clarify something for me?

I know you can set/change the max temp, (with the Android app in this case) but how does that integrate with the concept of temp stepping on the FF2+? Or maybe it doesn't, I don't know?

One can change temps by tapping the side located sensor, yes? Is it 7 different pre-sets? If so, can that be done on the fly, so to speak?

Your input is much appreciated!

:shrug:

Fat Freddy,
Don’t get me wrong, I love mine too , I just try to point out it is more restricted than my others vapes (minivap, mighty, sbj, gh and splinter z) 😜 and you really need to take long draw with it.
I agree, its like sucking through a flat straw. Hard on the lungs. The Arizer air was very easy.

Maybe some of you more experienced ff2 + folks can clarify something for me?

I know you can set/change the max temp, (with the Android app in this case) but how does that integrate with the concept of temp stepping on the FF2+? Or maybe it doesn't, I don't know?

One can change temps by tapping the side located sensor, yes? Is it 7 different pre-sets? If so, can that be done on the fly, so to speak?

Your input is much appreciated!

:shrug:
You can change temps manually and via the app for android (no apple )

Its not going to automatically change the setting. You must do it. Whether that's sliding up the temp in the app, or pressing the buttons.

lifeisgoodnow,

ginolicious

I agree, its like sucking through a flat straw. Hard on the lungs. The Arizer air was very easy.

You can change temps manually and via the app for android (no apple )

Its not going to automatically change the setting. You must do it. Whether that's sliding up the temp in the app, or pressing the buttons.

Interesting. I always felt the Arizer was sucking a milkshake through a straw and the 2+ to be a lot easier for my lungs.

ginolicious,

tykb

Hey folks, I'm considering purchasing a FF2+ as I want the cleanest possible vapor path (no rubber or plastic, preferably no metal). My main use-case would be for microdosing, how amenable would this device be to dropping a small bit of coarsely ground bud into the center of the bowl? The bowl seems quite large, so I wasn't sure how well it would work if not completely full. I don't care about vapor or anything else, really. I just care about getting the effects and being able to consume small amounts.

Also, I know it has a plastic mouthpiece, which isn't ideal. But the rest of the airpath seems to be glass, and the FF website does a good job of convincing me the ceramic heating element is safer than the metal heating elements most vapes use. Even ceramic heaters usually have a bit of metal in them though (not sure if this is true of the FF).

tykb,

ginolicious

Hey folks, I'm considering purchasing a FF2+ as I want the cleanest possible vapor path (no rubber or plastic, preferably no metal). My main use-case would be for microdosing, how amenable would this device be to dropping a small bit of coarsely ground bud into the center of the bowl? The bowl seems quite large, so I wasn't sure how well it would work if not completely full. I don't care about vapor or anything else, really. I just care about getting the effects and being able to consume small amounts.

Also, I know it has a plastic mouthpiece, which isn't ideal. But the rest of the airpath seems to be glass, and the FF website does a good job of convincing me the ceramic heating element is safer than the metal heating elements most vapes use. Even ceramic heaters usually have a bit of metal in them though (not sure if this is true of the FF).

The nice thing with this vape is you can pack a full bowl. And you don’t have to finish it. Sometimes I vape a bowl over 3-4 days. Will need to stir every so often. But the bowl isn’t that large I find personally.

You can also break up some pieces of nugs and place inside. Or put a small bug inside it as well. Some users do that.

At the end of the day. It’s convection. Only vapes when you are pulling or using it. You don’t have to worry about leaving a bowl for the next day half vaped.

ginolicious,

einvape

how amenable would this device be to dropping a small bit of coarsely ground bud into the center of the bowl?
I've used the extract pad before when using very little flower, that works but it will make the vape behave more like a hybrid convection + conduction vape as the pad itself will heat up and dispense the heat even after you stop inhaling.

einvape,

tykb

My other concern is with the silicone. I got another vape that supposedly has a very pure vaporpath (IQ2), but there is silicone right near the oven and I am very sensitive to the smell/taste. It's so bad the vape is unusable to me. With the Firefly, it looks like the silicone creates the airpath itself, but since it's such a wide airpath, I'm wondering if it imparts any silicone flavor or if the silicone gets hot at all? I'd prefer to avoid even the slightest hint of silicone taste. If you run the vape without any material in the chamber, can you taste/smell the silicone?

tykb,

ginolicious

My other concern is with the silicone. I got another vape that supposedly has a very pure vaporpath (IQ2), but there is silicone right near the oven and I am very sensitive to the smell/taste. It's so bad the vape is unusable to me. With the Firefly, it looks like the silicone creates the airpath itself, but since it's such a wide airpath, I'm wondering if it imparts any silicone flavor or if the silicone gets hot at all? I'd prefer to avoid even the slightest hint of silicone taste. If you run the vape without any material in the chamber, can you taste/smell the silicone?

Never had silicone taste on this vape.

Top Bottom