• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

FC E-Nail by JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hi everyone,

The 1st revision (beta) of the FC E-Nail by JCat is now complete. I decided to start a new thread for this, since it's really a project of it's own (what I envisioned for a better enail controller).

Features
- Easy temperature adjustments with rotary dial
- Easy on/off of heater both on device and remotely
- Quick temps from mobile screen to go to a temperature with 1-click
- Save/Load profiles (PID settings) for different devices (can use auto-tune to generate)
- Run scripts for fancy up-temp procedures and the like
- Full mobile access including:
* Remotely start, adjust temperatures, and monitor
* Run scripts
* Manage/create/edit scripts with the script editor (drag/drop GUI)
* Manage profiles and launch auto-tune to generate
- Ability to connect device to WiFi network through device UI
- Automatic discovery of device on local networks, but ability to configure if not found or on different subnets

Cost to build these is ~$200. Cost will come down if doing batches, but this is the cost sourcing most parts from Canada, and the Omron E5CC-QX2ASM-802 from AliExpress.

So here's some pictures! Video to follow :)

Device itself: (this is a first version, I would like to see a standardized 3D printed case built, with "slots" for components to fit in). Also coil button can go away so only one illuminated push button should remain. So going to go to a single "push button" (not switch) like the nicer looking button below. Should be able to cut the device size by 1/3 this way. (ie. screen above and button/rotary encoder side-by-side below)

device.jpg

Mobile App:

mobile1.png
mobile2.png
mobile3.png
mobile4.png

Source code is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

It's free to use the code for personal or educational purposes, but not for commercial ones. If you wish to use it commercially, please contact me.

Source code repository location: https://github.com/J-Cat/fc-enail

I may in the coming months have some kits available, as I would really like to see these get into the hands of some community members :) Cost for these kits would likely be $250-$300.

tepictoton

How about printing the case in hemp filament? I have several small pieces a friend made on special request for me from hemp filament in his 3d printer so it can be done...

The filament was purchased in Italy, kanesis is the company producing it. But I do believe it can also be sourced in the US.

Great to see something like this take shape!!!

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
I really think this will step up the dab experience for flavour and effect. The possibility of scripts and presets is great.

edit: Sorry for the 2 consecutive posts back-to-back, but I suddenly thought my comment might come over as negative criticism. Which would not be my intention.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I really think this will step up the dab experience for flavour and effect. The possibility of scripts and presets is great.

edit: Sorry for the 2 consecutive posts back-to-back, but I suddenly thought my comment might come over as negative criticism. Which would not be my intention.
:lol: ... no ... not coming across as negative. (you made me look though!)

I can guess why that happened ... I'm guessing that one of the status readings from the RS-485 failed, and updated the status as a "0" ... (ie. off), in the next 1/2 second when it gets another reading it's correct and emit's it to the phone correctly :)

Overall ... for many, many, many thousands of lines of code in just a few short weeks, the couple minor bugs (such as this one) would be expected. Some (like this one), may or may not get fixed very quickly (if they don't affect use), however, thanks for pointing it out :)

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just an irregularity that struck my eye. At around 5:00 the on/off button on the phone quickly goes off and then on again.

trying to tweak my budget:cool:
FYI--I fixed this I believe (a little tough to test for ... but essentially I added a caching service to the E5CC read service so that when reads fail it returns the previously cached result. This should prevent this issue :) )

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
@JCat Wow. I didn't expect that you would fix this. :bowdown:

Now another thought, that was lingering a while, came up again.:evil:
Please consider this brainstorming, far fetched thought.
I sometimes have tendency to loose myself in irrelevant details...

An enail is hot and when it tips over, touches something flammable, the glass breaks etc. it can easily ignite a fire. It can be prevented largely by by good placement of the nail etc., but...
Now that we have a computer in this unit. Is there a way to detect if the coil touches something unusual and somehow acts weird? Maybe it would be possible to detect if it cools too fast or heats faster than normal and then the computer could give an alarm or even shut down the coil?
Would be a unique safety feature, I think.

Just ignore at will. You already invested a lot of time and effort!

No more ideas lingering:lol:

maxymods

Im totally interested in one of these if prebuilt, have right pin output, and end up being available to community members. Would want it to work with 710coils stuff, but I have an idea for a function it could have if you are thinking of adding more.
You could add an auto off that resets every time the temperature changes (since it always moves when you dab) so it could be set to say 30 minutes than if you take a dab the temperature would change and reset the 30 minutes so it would only auto off after 30 mins of no temperature change/dabbing.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I like the idea of a timer auto off too. But it doesn't sound safe to me yet to couple the reset with the temperature. Maybe a "dead man switch" solution?
Yeah ... detecting (with 100% accuracy), when an inhale is happening, is not something a poor little Raspberry Pi Zero can handle ... it's something a whole network of computers working cooperatively together would have a hard time figuring out. There are so many variables, I don't even know if you could definitively tell ... you could only ever get to a certain % accuracy (since we aren't measuring air velocity anywhere ... just temperature differences and heat output ...)

Anyways ... that one's a pipe dream.

The auto-off is a no-brainer and I will add that one. (add a setting with an auto-off timer w/ that you can configure the time on or disable it)

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Yeah ... detecting (with 100% accuracy), when an inhale is happening, is not something a poor little Raspberry Pi Zero can handle ... it's something a whole network of computers working cooperatively together would have a hard time figuring out. There are so many variables, I don't even know if you could definitively tell ... you could only ever get to a certain % accuracy (since we aren't measuring air velocity anywhere ... just temperature differences and heat output ...)
There is no need for 100% accuracy.

They tried something similar in the Crafty and Mighty, but it only works poorly. As you say there are many variables. It depends on the draw speed, outdoor air etc.

From what I can see with my cheapo well-tuned enail controller and a couple of tries, there is no way to detect a draw half way consistently, as you said.

To detect if the coil touches something unusual (like my wooden table) could be easier. There is more happening temperature wise when I do, than when I take a draw in my setup. It is not enough to say anything just by knowing the temperature development alone.

You know the temperature of the coil at every moment.
You say you know heat output too? What do you measure? Energy or current going into the coil? Or just coil on/off?
Sorry for my ignorant questions that you most probably already explained somewhere.

There might be a possibility with these 2 values and it would not work 100% accurate, it would not work with all setups and it would probably need calibration by the user. But only 1 fire prevented would be worth it.

It is a experimental feature that could be added later on, the controller has everything it needs, I think. I am unfamiliar with PC or raspberry environments and out of the game for programming since a long time. So it will stay a pipe dream most likely, which is no problem. But it sure is teasing me.

Last edited:

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Auto toke detection works well on a crafty and mighty if you have a decent set of lungs and take a good hit. It’s just not super sensitive since it’s detecting the heater cooling faster then from ambient temperature. I bet you figure it out. :)

PoopMachine

Therein lies the problem.

This is not an easy machine learning problem. It’s not something you can solve accurately for all cases with such disparate parameters

Seems like you would need some way to measure airflow between the nail and the piece. Neat idea, another Hexnail vaporware feature that never materialized but in the grand scheme of things probably not that important.

Consistent temps, a good self calibrating feature, mobile/web app and the scripting feature are super high points for this project. I'm stoked for this. I'd send money right now for a kit or assembled unit.

Even in it's infancy, this thing is incredible and the development progress shows what you can do when you're not just dabbing all day and stealing people's money.

Sick Vape

Solar Dabs
Auto toke detection works well on a crafty and mighty if you have a decent set of lungs and take a good hit. It’s just not super sensitive since it’s detecting the heater cooling faster then from ambient temperature. I bet you figure it out. :)
You are right. It is because I prefer smaller draws.
I probably could make it work better with taking big draws and coughing my lungs out. But for a S&B unit, I want one that can fit my needs, not the other way round. I have no problem with the Crafty, I can just hit the button before it wants to switch off.

But in this case it is another pair of shoes:

Dropping a cap on a nail would probably do the same thing tho.
Therein lies the problem.

This is not an easy machine learning problem. It’s not something you can solve accurately for all cases with such disparate parameters

Yes, I think so too.

And an auto off like @JCat intends covers the security aspect good and for all possible setups.

It is a wonderful unit as it is now.

JCat

Accessory Maker
FYI everyone (I know you're interested @PoopMachine) ...

If 1 or 2 other people are interested I'm planning on building 3-4--1 more for myself, and 2-3 for other people with standardized parts and a proper case--either 3D printed or aluminum with front/back pre-cut/drilled for components to give a proper finish.

This would allow me to fully document all required components and nail down the build to be able to offer kits (or if I decide to take it to the next stage of building proper/full units with actual CSA approval).

I have all parts on order to build units apart from the custom case and the Omron units.

Anyone that wants in the deposit will be $200 USD and $100 more on completion.

(FYI--the final units should be about 2/3 of the size of the beta unit pictured in this thread)

JCat

Accessory Maker
Im in. Just let me know.
You're the only one so far :) ... If I don't have any other interested soon, I'll go ahead and order just 2 of the Omron and I'll just be building those 2 for the next round. I have at least 4 or 5 of every other part already on order a week or two ago.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
FYI everyone (I know you're interested @PoopMachine) ...

If 1 or 2 other people are interested I'm planning on building 3-4--1 more for myself, and 2-3 for other people with standardized parts and a proper case--either 3D printed or aluminum with front/back pre-cut/drilled for components to give a proper finish.

This would allow me to fully document all required components and nail down the build to be able to offer kits (or if I decide to take it to the next stage of building proper/full units with actual CSA approval).

I have all parts on order to build units apart from the custom case and the Omron units.

Anyone that wants in the deposit will be $200 USD and $100 more on completion.

(FYI--the final units should be about 2/3 of the size of the beta unit pictured in this thread)

Im down, Id like to retain the coil button/switch somehow though

ensabbahnur,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Im down, Id like to retain the coil button/switch somehow though
The other one toggles the power on/off on the coil though, so the "extra" one that physically turns it on/off isn't required. I'm planning on putting a coil switch at the back though, just not as accessible on the front.

JCat,
Reactions: Hogni
Top Bottom