EVOLV Cricket

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@RustyOldNail, with these LiPo batteries, is it recommended to fully charge and discharge them three times like with the lithium batteries in @Pipes IH heaters?

Not sure about Lipos, I only have a few devices with them, and I treat them the same as lithium type. Pipes uses mostly if not all LiPo.
Lithiums in cylinder batteries do NOT need any priming or beginning full charge nonsense that you will see repeated anyways.
If you are using the Cricket, certainly would not hurt to run it all the way a few times. I ran it till empty at first so I could test its rated mAh battery capacity.

biohacker

Enjoying playing with my new Cricket, but gotta' say, 20-30 dabs in, and still having a hell of a time with splatter.

Welcome to the Chirp Chirp fam! I still love mine, and although I don't get much splatter or anything in the chimney, i'm definitely getting oil in the well under the tub. I thought it was because of my monster bb's, but after a detailing of both units, and then using 1/2bb's, I still have the same problem.

I also get a lot of black dust/particles coming from somewhere on to my qtips and iso wipes. I'm not even sure if it's the silicone or the tub well walls at this point. But I don't think using ISO is great idea as much as I have been.

Still absolutely loving this thing!

TonyGazelle

After letting my cricket sit for a few weeks while I complete a workout program, I broke it out to celebrate hitting a milestone.

One thing to note is that the device barely lost any battery while idle, exactly as evolv said it would.

I've found a good groove where I can load a small dab and get two satisfying hits at 555. After wards the cleanup is minimal and the load is nearly completely vaporized.

I've found that a big factor in my splatter is draw speed. Keep it slow!

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to medicate and I think I'll see success in replacing cartridges for my on the go use.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I like how I can run the wide end of my dabber along the top edge of the tub and get most of the dab off the tool. Not easy to do with some rounded heaters and buckets. When you run the pre-melt, anything on the sides runs down into the tub and spreads out.

I found I was going for a marathon with each hit, slow but long and steady. Trying to extract as much as possible with each hit.
By taking shorter hits at first, I've been getting better flavor in the first two cycles. Clouds might be a little less, but not by much...still very satisfying.

I think the ISO fucks with the silicone. Black particles come off of mine now when I remove the tub to deep clean with an iso wipe (70%)

I asked Evolv about the type of silicone used in the gasket surrounding the glass chimney. Jason said the silicone was carefully selected to handle the task. The silicone was rated for around 2500F before melting and won't degrade by using iso. He said it was pretty resilent to heat and iso. Also, the areas of the tub that come in contact with the gasket (around the edges) doesn't get nearly as hot as the bottom of the tub.

@biohacker, it might be worth sending them a jingle if you keep getting shit off your gaskets.

Last edited:

poison

Nice to see the Cricket has pass through charging, So you can still use the device while the Cricket is charging. I have my Cricket at 500 to 550 degrees f, The vapor is smooth and delicious.
No, it doesn't have passtrough. I've checked this case on discharged device :rockon:
I'm also using from 500 to 555 degrees F and I can confirm that this range give a really smooth and delicious clouds :brow:

Last edited:

biohacker

@biohacker, it might be worth sending them a jingle if you keep getting shit off your gaskets.

I don't think it's coming off of the gasket, but rather some black marks on the side of the steel of the tub well. When I first received my retail unit, I iso wiped the lid and also had this black residue. I've see this before, perhaps some sort of SS oxidation?

On to another type of black residue.... the tub reclaim. I always thought that an iso wipe and/or iso soak and some heat burns at 600 got the Ti tub clean. I was wrong. I was starting to wonder why strains were not tasting like the flavour country they once were, so I applied a bit of pressure with a clean qtip on what I thought was a clean oven, and boy was I wrong!

What do you guys do to keep the Ti tub sparkling? Can this grade 9 ti be torched? I made an iso/baking soda paste which has been working great to get that black shit off, and now it's soaking in it because I feel like i'll be scrubbing forever.

I really hope I can get back to flavour country!

biohacker

I just took a photo of the residue that came off when wiping the silicone under the tub. I was wondering if it could be carbon from oils that seep under the tub.

I think that could be it, and also the black shit that is burnt on to my tub lol

I'm going to try torching the inside of the tub with a tiny weak torch.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
I'm going to try torching the inside of the tub

Careful !
The tub is very thin Ti and u might burn a hole thru it if you aren't careful.
I"d see what Evolv says about the black residue.
I'm about to take my tub off and check myself.

oh and EDIT: there are more 'blemished' Crickets for sale for $249 ! https://www.evolvapor.com/products/cricket-blemished !
Use code ninjapucks to get free dab pucks included in your order.

Last edited:

biohacker

Careful !
The tub is very thin Ti and u might burn a hole thru it if you aren't careful.
I"d see what Evolv says about the black residue.
I'm about to take my tub off and check myself.

I just pulsed it a little but it didn't really make a difference on the burnt black carbon stuck on. I needed to scrape. Perhaps a longer soak in a baking soda paste or dark crystal cleaner would have melted it off with time. I'll definitely be grabbing another tub on my next order.

I think the black residue under the tub is just what @Easywider said about carbon.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
So about to spring for a blem, but I do have a couple of questions.

(1) For those of you that have both, how does the battery life compare to the DT Lightning Pen? (by battery life I am asking how many hits/loads you get on a fully charged battery)

(2) How much will you miss the little plastic gizmo that is used to clean the glass "chimney" you breathe through? If I understand correctly it does NOT come with the blem units. How hard is it to clean the glass chimney? Is it easy to break? Do you remove the chimney from the silicone to clean it, or clean it in place.

(2a) Does the little plastic cleaning gizmo come when you order an extra Cricket Chimney Assembly? I don't see anywhere to order one separately on the evolv web site.

(3) And speaking of the Chimney Assembly, should I consider this a semi-desposable item and just order one at the same time? For reference, I consider the DT crucibles disposable and I always order a spare or two. (and again, how fragile is the glass part)?

(4) And how about the Cricket Tub Kit? Is the titanium foil fragile enough that I should just order a spare when I order the Cricket?

(5) Has anyone figured out a way to keep the cap on more securely? Any comments from Evolv about this?

I clean all my DT vapes all the time (I have almost every model except the core). Hi temp clean for the crucible and lots of iso or ethanol to clean everywhere the vapor has made sticky. By keeping ahead of too much build-up I don't have to take them apart and clean each piece separately very often. Removing a DT crucible is prone to damaging it or its wire leads, so I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. The vapor gets everywhere inside, as hot vapor invariably condenses on everything it touches.

I love my DT stuff, and at home I use a QQ with a Lighting heater as my go to, with the original single intake tube glass top. I find it the gives me the best hits and is easiest to keep clean (by far). I use my V5 when I want to vape through water. My V4 doesn't get any use anymore :( . I really like the Lightning Pen, but its a very hot hit and after a couple my throat really pays the price. This is the main reason I am looking at getting one of the Crickets.

Any suggestions/help, as always, is appreciated.

biohacker

How much will you miss the little plastic gizmo that is used to clean the glass "chimney" you breathe through? If I understand correctly it does NOT come with the blem units. How hard is it to clean the glass chimney? Is it easy to break? Do you remove the chimney from the silicone to clean it, or clean it in place.

I rarely get any oil up the glass chimney, but when it happens it is nice to have the tool. The glass is thin and fragile, so I just dunk the entire lid in warm iso and it comes out clean. I rarely will take apart the silicone/glass in the lid.

Does the little plastic cleaning gizmo come when you order an extra Cricket Chimney Assembly?

negative

And speaking of the Chimney Assembly, should I consider this a semi-desposable item and just order one at the same time? For reference, I consider the DT crucibles disposable and I always order a spare or two. (and again, how fragile is the glass part)?

it's fragile but if you're mindful it's a non issue. I wouldn't say you need to have a backup, but I like having one just in case.

And how about the Cricket Tub Kit? Is the titanium foil fragile enough that I should just order a spare when I order the Cricket?

Same thing you don't need it. That's the awesome thing about the cricket, no pricey attys, replacement parts, etc and it's essentially bomb proof!

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the cap on more securely?

Never thought it was an issue myself.

I really like the Lightning Pen, but its a very hot hit and after a couple my throat really pays the price

Even pulsing on low heat? I think you'll be pleased with the Cricket!

BabyFacedFinster

How much will you miss the little plastic gizmo that is used to clean the glass "chimney" you breathe through? If I understand correctly it does NOT come with the blem units.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the cap on more securely? Any comments from Evolv about this?

I really like the Lightning Pen, but its a very hot hit and after a couple my throat really pays the price. This is the main reason I am looking at getting one of the Crickets.
I was just thinking about not having that little gizmo with my blem. They don't list it for sale in accessories either. I was hoping to just soak the whole cap in iso without removing anything. @biohacker confirmed that it works. :wave:

I haven't figured a way to keep the cap on a bit more securely, but I wish I did.

Feel the same way about the LP. I love my Core as my main DD for concentrates, but the Cricket has captured my attention right now. My throat is also quite sensitive to heat. I had my doubts about the cool vapor from such a dry and short airpath, but it is true. I wouldn't say it is on the same level as using water, but it is cool enough to not be an irritant. I gave up on Dynavaps because of dry heat, along with the LP, the mod V5, and Qomo. The cricket has the best flavor of all my conc vapes.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I rarely get any oil up the glass chimney, but when it happens it is nice to have the tool. The glass is thin and fragile, so I just dunk the entire lid in warm iso and it comes out clean. I rarely will take apart the silicone/glass in the lid.
I can't tell from the pictures, is the outer mouthpiece itself metal and attached to the cap and the glass tube is surrounded by the silicon "gasket" and is inside the mouthpiece (so that side pressure on the mouthpiece won't break the glass)? I'm thinking about if I put it in a front jean pocket.

[The LP burns my throat sometimes] Even pulsing on low heat? I think you'll be pleased with the Cricket!
I never run the LP at anything but the lowest setting (except when I'm cleaning it). The tiny crucible and the miniscule vapor path in the LT seems to be hotter than I like even if I pulse it rather than just hold the button. I've never used the double tap latch-on function (except to try it out).

I was just thinking about not having that little gizmo with my blem. They don't list it for sale in accessories either. I was hoping to just soak the whole cap in iso without removing anything. @biohacker confirmed that it works. :wave:
I wrote evolv a message on their site a week or so ago asking if the manual was included with the blem units and I never heard back from them. This was discouraging (since it would have taken all of 10 seconds to reply that it did). I wonder if they'll answer a question about selling a couple of the little mouthpiece cleaning gizmos. (Do they even have an official Evolv name)?

I haven't figured a way to keep the cap on a bit more securely, but I wish I did.
Has it gotten looser since you got it? How easy does it come off?

The cricket has the best flavor of all my conc vapes.
And everyone seems to agree about this part, which is what's motivating me to spend the $$$

SquirrelMaster

I was thinking about the cap yesterday and how it can come off in a pocket. My easy fix is one of my wife's hair elastics. A fancier, more customizable fix would be a ring (I had wood in mind) that slips over the top I'd want to line it with felt or something so it didn't scratch the case. I do not have the wood working tools to make such a thing happen, but a nice cocobolo accent would look 👌 imo.

@Haywood I could swear that instructions will come with it. It came up on the Discord so I'm sure someone will chime in.
I swear you could drive a car over a Cricket and it would still work. It's a very solid device. The mouthpiece is only fragile (like you'd expect glass to be) when removed from the silicone.

BabyFacedFinster

@Haywood I could swear that instructions will come with it. It came up on the Discord so I'm sure someone will chime in.
My blem came with directions, although there isn't much to them. I got a lot more from the videos on their site, @DJ Colonel Corn's review, and videos by others like sneaky pete.

I wrote evolv a message on their site a week or so ago asking if the manual was included with the blem units and I never heard back from them. This was discouraging (since it would have taken all of 10 seconds to reply that it did). I wonder if they'll answer a question about selling a couple of the little mouthpiece cleaning gizmos. (Do they even have an official Evolv name)?
IDK how you sent the message, but they have a response system on the website where you create a question "ticket" and they respond to that ticket and you get an email when you can check for the response.
Has it gotten looser since you got it?
No, I don't think so
How easy does it come off?
Easier than I wish. It doesn't just flop off, but it doesn't seat with the authority that other magnetic closures do. Sometimes you have to press on the cap to make sure it has formed a good seal with the body. A light push on the cap from the side and it starts releasing so I can see how it would easily come off in a pocket.

Beyond that one design flaw, it is build like a tank. I like the single degree adjustments and love the flavor. I'm happy with my $250 purchase, but would have had buyers remorse at $400.

Pukka

You should have looked here, I answered your ? like 60 messages ago 🙃. To tldr for you, my blem came bubblewrapped with a manual in small box over-bubblewrapped in a small USPS box. I don't think it's on their site as a pdf yet although it wouldn't suprise me if it showed up.

I ordered the "not included" spares and silicon bucket set. About 50usd, arrived in like a week well packaged in DNA labled match boxs inside a small jewelry box. It also wouldn't suprise me if the cleaning thingie doesn't show up for sale soon.

Pukka,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
You should have looked here, I answered your ? like 60 messages ago 🙃.
Actually I did see your answer, my question to them was before you answered. :) I was commenting now that I never got an answer to the question from them. Because of your earlier message I know the answer.

IDK how you sent the message, but they have a response system on the website where you create a question "ticket" and they respond to that ticket and you get an email when you can check for the response.

I chose the "Sales" type question which is different from the other message types. When I tried tonight to send them a message asking about the availability of the cleaning gizmos, and how to order them, I got an error message from the site asking me to try later. Trying later didn't help so I chose a "General" question type and the ticket type response system was in effect for that and the message was sent and I got an email acknowledgement that they had received my query. So I guess something is broken with their "Sales" question form.

About the only concern I have now is the loose cap situation and whether it's going to be a bother to me. I've been a big fan of Evolv since they started in the eCig business (and I think their newest eCig vape is probably the best one made to help people stop smoking cigarettes).

Any comments on the battery life? How many hits kind of thing. Does it tend to last all day when you're out and about? How fast does it charge and does it take a large charge current if your adapter can supply it? (Like an amp or two). My DT LP runs out of charge sooner than I'd like...

Maybe I should just order it before this round of blem is gone. :horse:

poison

I just took a photo of the residue that came off when wiping the silicone under the tub. I was wondering if it could be carbon from oils that seep under the tub.

Right now I'm using high quality live rosin and I don't get any black things in my chimney. I'm cleaning my Cricket with q-tip every session (dry or iso+dry), max 2 sessions. The only case when I get some "dirt" it was my own rosin from press with 120u bag and it's make device dirty. But the product was nothing special comparing to things that I buy. After using my own rosin I've cleaned Cricket perfectly with some baking soda grains on qtip with water, then another q-tip with water only and next I've used dry q-tip to get out residue of baking soda - just in case.

Best regards.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Like @Shit Snacks I had been catching up on this thread and felt a bit bummed when I realized I missed out on the opportunity to try one out at a reduced entry price. Maybe they read the thread and felt bad for us? Thank you to EVOLV for dropping some more blems, and thank you as always to FC fam for sharing! One blem and pucks on their way!

Top Bottom