EVOLV Cricket

Smknbud

I haven’t given up yet, but it’s been a brain teaser. I assume the plastic piece was the best Evolv could come up with to get the product out the door. A PRIZE should be offered to someone that comes up with an inexpensive… off the shelf … alternative.

I gunked-up my mouthpiece last night after I foolishly tried a larger load. Used iso and a sewing needle to clean. Bit tedious but it worked. I found a 2mm round pipe cleaner on Amazon....that will be here tomorrow. Stay tuned :).

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
A small emery board or nail file?

The chimney is made from GLASS, so NO METAL, in a much earlier post, before I received my Cricket @DJ Colonel Corn reported he broke his with a metal tool, Alan wrench if I recall. I’m not looking to scratch the glass. The ideal tool would be rigid enough to push through, but have some ability to absorb and hold a bit of solvent. Not even sure if a wooden stir stick is thin enough, the ones I’ve tried are too thick. Your suggestions are the same as the current plastic one, only more destructive!

TIP: If you don’t have or lose the OG plastic tool, flattening a PLASTIC cocktail stir stick, works, as well as a standard plastic straw, but ONLY for pushing out the clog, doesn’t solve the residual oil that smears just like the included tool.

Pukka

I hate to break it to you, but vaping/smoking with a hole in your gums is known to be very painful. I forget the term for it—dry socket I think—but it has been discussed somewhere on fc before. Please check about it before causing your more pain than the tooth did
From personal experience I can attest that "dry socket" is really, really, really unpleasant and painful. You basically open up the new hole in your gum (more or less) and let all the nerve ends play with the environment. Although I've vaped 3 to 4 hours after oral surgary it's not recommended for at least a day or so so the wound can completely seal up.

RustyOldNail

Damn are there really thin ones??

Honestly I think I'm glad I chose to sit out and will likely continue... I think there is just too much maintenance involved for me and particularly with dabs I prefer minimal I guess, I mean with everything really

With all those rigs you have to clean, it’s understandable. It’s not a deal breaker to occasionally clean the Crickets glass chimney unless one is constantly overloading. For those that read my posts, you know I don’t come on FC to sugarcoat issues. While early reviews of a new product can offer some clues, the feedback from real users, that use a device for an extended time period, are more telling. An example would be Angus thread. While the price of the Cricket, understandingly so, puts people off, the benefits far outweigh the few minuses in my opinion. I just like to inform from my own experiences. I think we all know the perfect device has yet to be discovered…
I gunked-up my mouthpiece last night after I foolishly tried a larger load. Used iso and a sewing needle to clean. Bit tedious but it worked. I found a 2mm round pipe cleaner on Amazon....that will be here tomorrow. Stay tuned :).

Look forward to your findings. If these pipe cleaners end up fitting, leave a link. The “standard” DILL’s BRAND pipe cleaners I have here are too thick.

OyVape

2mm round pipecleaner sounds way too big. That ID of the glass looks barely1mm itself.
it needs to be virtually flat. Maybe a bread bag tie? The sticky part Of a bandaid wrapper thingy ?. I’m gonna keep playing with strips of alcohol wipes although they’re too floppy to push through

OyVape,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I hate to break it to you, but vaping/smoking with a hole in your gums is known to be very painful. I forget the term for it—dry socket I think—but it has been discussed somewhere on fc before. Please check about it before causing yourself more pain than the tooth did

Well aware, not concerned.

Timps27,

florduh

I think there is just too much maintenance involved for me and particularly with dabs I prefer minimal I guess, I mean with everything really

Not disagreeing with your analysis of the Cricket in particular. But dabbing in general is an incredibly high maintenance hobby. It's the q-tipping that gets me.

I've been trying to use my Proxy when out and about more. I don't really mind looking like some kind of future crackhead, smoking out of a glass pipe with LED lights. But whipping out a q-tip at the end of a session makes me look like a cyberpunk crackhead with OCD.

I always see complaining about the waste from carts and pods. I don't disagree with the complaining. But how many q-tips are dabbers using over the course of a gram jar?

RustyOldNail

Maybe a bread bag tie?
Tried that… most are plastic now, I had some older ones that seemed to have a bit of paper, I soaked before insertion, didn’t hold enough solvent, possibly acceptable if there was a way to remove what was left behind, but this shows you are thinking more deeply, nice!
Wouldn't throwing the glass chimney in an ultrasonic cleaner with some iso get it clean?

For home use, that would work, but many don’t own a US cleaner, and my goal is a quick but effective tool, like a miniature QTip. And because of the glass itself being very thin, I’d be very careful cleaning in my US. Cavitation can be very destructive, but worth a try if you have a backup chimney.
But how many q-tips are dabbers using

Excellent point, I buy the real QTip brand, 5 boxes of 600/box. Hopefully the paper and cotton aren’t too bad for the planet!

OyVape

What is cavitation.?

HOT DAMN! I found something that works. Haven’t tried it with alcohol yet and I’m not gonna hassle with trying to upload a pic but I got these plastic thingies on Amazon called The Doctor’s Brush Picks, and the brush end fits through perfectly!
275 to a little plastic dispenser box🎉

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

What is cavitation.?

HOT DAMN! I found something that works. Haven’t tried it with alcohol yet and I’m not gonna hassle with trying to upload a pic but I got these plastic thingies on Amazon called The Doctor’s Brush Picks, and the brush end fits through perfectly!
275 to a little plastic dispenser box🎉

I tried those picks, they fit, but are still plastic, and messy, the OG tool is still marginally better.

1st question I googled for you:

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Smknbud

Timps27

I still have a bit of work to get to before I can give it a test run, but initial impressions on my blem confirm most of what has been said. Very quality feel to the device overall…which is why the cap sticks out like a sore thumb. The most minor of touches fore or aft and it unseats immediately. Really should be addressed ASAP IMO, I clearly know what I’m getting myself into being an enthusiast and ordering a blem, but if I were a full price average retail customer I would not be happy with the cap on a $400 device.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ah yeah the cap, everything together, was not sure it fit much of a use for me anyway, so yeah the, even minor, imperfections can be quite glaring...

For those that read my posts, you know I don’t come on FC to sugarcoat issues. While early reviews of a new product can offer some clues, the feedback from real users, that use a device for an extended time period, are more telling. An example would be Angus thread. While the price of the Cricket, understandingly so, puts people off, the benefits far outweigh the few minuses in my opinion. I just like to inform from my own experiences. I think we all know the perfect device has yet to be discovered…

Yeah your posts are always fair and thorough, when you point out the negatives it doesn't mean there are no positives of course, always value your opinion! Yeah there is not enough benefit I think for my needs, Yeah I have so many rigs, but only a few are actually for dabs, and those are cleaned even less frequently, when I have to clean glass it is all ordeal as I rotate and save a bunch up at once, yeah I'm a lazy person especially when it comes to cleaning although all of this stuff involves a level of maintenance that most people don't bother with of course! Despite the price difference I do think I would be much more happy with the Cricket than I was with the Angus although they are almost exactly nothing alike lol I am just trying to be more shrewd in my consumer decisions after that impulsive purchase when I had known originally it likely wasn't the right thing for me at least...

Not disagreeing with your analysis of the Cricket in particular. But dabbing in general is an incredibly high maintenance hobby. It's the q-tipping that gets me.

Haha yeah, and as I said herbal vapes typically require quite a bit of maintenance themselves, I try to minimize that myself in various ways like having so many spare stuff like I haven't cleaned screens in so long because I have so many spares fortunately, so the bucket of dirty ones just keeps collecting lol I used to clean much more regularly but I also had fewer bowls and such so it's all relative really (I pretty much never cold start dab on my own because of the extra maintenance involved, hot start dabbing is pretty simple, and even though it's inefficient with the butane, you end up cleaning each time in use...)

I've done a little bit of q-tipping with certain bucket bangers and low temp (along with my erig experience) and every time it just feels like a silly annoyance, part of why I don't use the erig much at all and why I think I should probably not get the cricket? A lot of people are dunking bangers immediately after use into alcohol bath so it is clean for the next round, with cold start or slurpers, I probably will have to adapt and get something for that eventually (along with some form of temp reader)

I've been trying to use my Proxy when out and about more. I don't really mind looking like some kind of future crackhead, smoking out of a glass pipe with LED lights. But whipping out a q-tip at the end of a session makes me look like a cyberpunk crackhead with OCD.

I always see complaining about the waste from carts and pods. I don't disagree with the complaining. But how many q-tips are dabbers using over the course of a gram jar?

Haha yeah exactly part of the appeal of the cricket would be to grab and go, right? But there are too many little finicky things that make me think it is not worth the effort for me personally... And I don't really know why I would want to use it at home currently either soooo might as well keep waiting??

Yeah the amount of waste in general is annoying, carts are so convenient, but also really not in other ways, I don't need to go into my pros and cons for that I guess now here though lol

I buy the real QTip brand, 5 boxes of 600/box

Oh I actually decided I didn't even trust those, they seem to be terrible quality with how they fray and such, didn't trust the quality of the cotton or other materials in it etc... So I decided to grab some organic cotton bamboo fancy ones from Amazon, some different brands, one of them is great because one end is a narrower tip that is really helpful!

Last edited:

OyVape

More ideas. I have had some success using small strips of old business cards dipped/soaked In alcohol to at least partially clean the inside of the glass

OyVape,

RustyOldNail

More ideas. I have had some success using small strips of old business cards dipped/soaked In alcohol to at least partially clean the inside of the glass

Yeah, I briefly tried that, but I found any paper type to lose its push ability after it’s soaked, gets flaccid. I also didn’t like the time spent cutting up strips to size. But it’s at least better than solid plastic. Until an easier way comes along, I’ll use the semi-paper twist ties till they run out. Thankfully I’ve disciplined myself to draw lightly, so a deep clean of the glass chimney is not something I have to do often.

As you know the thinnest of the chimney makes this a real challenge, appreciate you brainstorming with me. I’m not n their discord yet, but maybe somebody there has found something simple and common. I’ve always enjoyed trying to find simple solutions…. :)

Timps27

Them terps though. It’s fiddly. And messy. Battery life not fantastic. It’s a FF2+ for concentrates, that’s not quite retail ready and well overpriced. As a vape nerd I ain’t mad at it at $250, but a brick and mortar retail customer paying $400? I don’t see it, the premium over other options isn’t there given the order of magnitude and the minuscule attention span of retail customers. It does smack you right in the mouth with them terps though!

Easywider

Simple is the way
I drop my chimney in a glass of warm/hot ISO and swirl. Comes clean in a jiffy.

I’d really love to see a top cap with adjustable airflow. I think it would really improve the user experience with this one. Normally I’m all for wide open airflow but it’s a bit silly how much air is funneled Into the little tub. You have to barley inhale for proper performance. I’d love to be able to use a natural draw with this.

Sorry for the dbl posting. I just tried something and the results were great so I thought I would share.
Has anyone fired this at full temp with the lid off and watched the oil? It seems to want to run from the middle of the tub into the corner creases. As oil loves to run from heat, I assume the tub heats from the middle out.

I just went and plugged the 3 middle air intakes on each side with some toothpicks and only left the left and right outer holes open (stick them in the holes and snap off the tips, makes a nice little temporary plug )

This reduced my airflow greatly, enough that I could use a regular draw, and just having the outer intakes open it continuously forced the oil back to the middle of the tub where it is most efficient. The result was minimized splatter around the bottom gasket only and almost a completely dry tub! :rockon:

More testing is needed, It may have just been a magical session but I have a good feeling about this modification.

Smknbud

I apologize if some of you have already asked, have you taken this model directly from them, which has imperfections? and if yes, how did you find what did you notice?!?
Units labeled as 'blemished' from Evolv are nearly indistinguishable from new.

My chimney wasn't gunked-up so to say after two days usage but had enough deposit it needed a cleaning. I have never ever tried the method you suggested. Stuck the chimney glass in a glass container with enough iso to cover it and stuck in microwave for 10 seconds and it came out spotless. Spotless spotless.....thanks @Easywider

Oh crap.....back to back posts. Mods if you see this please combine. My bad.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
My chimney wasn't gunked-up so to say after two days usage but had enough deposit it needed a cleaning. I have never ever tried the method you suggested. Stuck the chimney glass in a glass container with enough iso to cover it and stuck in microwave for 10 seconds and it came out spotless. Spotless spotless.....thanks @Easywider

Oh crap.....back to back posts. Mods if you see this please combine. My bad.

Can't remember if the edit window is 6 or 8 hours, but after it passes totally okay to post back-to-back, also mods don't randomly read stuff, you have to hit the report button at the bottom of a post :tup:

TonyGazelle

I've been using the stashlogix dotsero for my cricket carry and storage. It's perfect in my opinion. I'm able to fit the following comfortably. I could fit more of everything listed here if I wanted to.

One thing I do not worry about while using and carrying this case is the cap. It can also be stored in a pocket vertically and preloaded which is a plus.

- cricket device
- USB c charging cable
- one wax wallet to carry concentrates (grey topped storage)
- 8 iso wipes
- 19 standard q tips
- one pucker slash heated dab tool (I'm testing this and find that I don't love it and will likely remove it from this carry)

Image below

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

Be very careful when handling the glass chimney, one of the main reasons I hope to find a better way to do the occasional or when needed cleaning with that glass piece IN PLACE, is they seem very FRAGILE. At least my first one (see photo).
I was using the white plastic bar included with device, holding it GENTLY while pushing bar through with some Ethanol. Suddenly, I had two pieces. I assume the glass is a fraction thinner on the horizontal edges, you see the almost clean break, in the two halves.

This would not happen if the glass chimney could be EFFICIENTLY cleaned without taking it out out the cap, and is faster too.
So be CAREFUL when removing and handling, do so only if you feel it’s necessary. Granted, it’s possible it was just that particular one, but I’m now on the final backup glass.

Top Bottom