• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Ed's WoodScents Log Vape - Ed's TnT

rvarick

I acquired my first Woodscents this week from Ed's latest "XL" batch. The good news is it arrived, it's beautiful, is so small (!) and works well! Unfortunately I ran into some Dynavap tip fit issues as others have mentioned. I was really hoping the WS would add another heating option across all of my stems/tips. However, despite mostly using ~2019 Titanium tips, I found that of my 8 tips, only 4 would fit on the WS heater core (so 50%). It's really a shame that DV doesn't seem to manufacture their top-tier tip option to consistent tolerances, at least based on my experience! Luckily I have some that work though.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
Hello,
I'm thinking to get a Woodcent as a log vape but is it much more different than a Dynavap + IH?
What are the specificities of the Woodscent? What is the magic of Woodscent? Is it a must have?
Thank you all

Duba,
Reactions: arb

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hello,
I'm thinking to get a Woodcent as a log vape but is it much more different than a Dynavap + IH?
What are the specificities of the Woodscent? What is the magic of Woodscent? Is it a must have?
Thank you all
I’ve never understood the hype for induction heaters. It’s a fancy torch, but at the end of the day you’re still getting a hybrid convection/conduction experience out of your Dynavap. It gets the job done and is fun on the go, but I find the WS does much better with flavor and vapor quality. It’s also easier to stay at a lower temp on a WS if you’re a flavor chaser or crank it and get clouds.

ChilledAsian

I’ve never understood the hype for induction heaters. It’s a fancy torch, but at the end of the day you’re still getting a hybrid convection/conduction experience out of your Dynavap. It gets the job done and is fun on the go, but I find the WS does much better with flavor and vapor quality. It’s also easier to stay at a lower temp on a WS if you’re a flavor chaser or crank it and get clouds.
Are the effects/high the same?

ChilledAsian,

Texus

I don't want to jump in to Woodscents vs IHs, but I thought it was worth mentioning that not all IHs are created alike. There seems to be a tendency in many placed to lump them all together, which is a mistake. As is lumping all logs together.

gordontreeman

Are the effects/high the same?
In terms of "do they both get you high" then yeah, all of the above are very effective. Certainly if you want to tailor your experience towards a specific temp (all kinds of charts showing the vaporization temps of various cannabinoids, I find lower temp = more energetic and uplifting and vice versa) I find the WS to be much better. I'm sure there are tricks you can do in terms of counting flashing lights on an ih or just timing a flame, but its much easier and more reproducible to just set a dial.

In terms of flavor I think its a no brainer. I really respect the dynvap for what it is--in addition to the set up that comes with the Woodscents I bought a 2020 M in Rosium (I wanted something indestructible for camping and hiking and other outdoor activities and I also just think it looks rad). But I don't think its a flavor chasers end game vape. At best its a hybrid conduction/convection vape, but more realistically it feels tilted very heavy towards conduction to me, and I don't get much flavor after the first hit (and the end of a stainless tip is just kinda bad when I take it all the way). Nothing about an induction heater changes this for me.

I don't want to jump in to Woodscents vs IHs, but I thought it was worth mentioning that not all IHs are created alike. There seems to be a tendency in many placed to lump them all together, which is a mistake. As is lumping all logs together.
Yeah, I don't want to yuck anyone's yum. I guess my comment on IHs being overly hyped is more a reaction to folks on reddit calling them "game changers." As I said, I don't think it transforms the quality of the vapor. I think an IH would be awfully convenient outdoors (flame leaves a bit to be desired when its bright out and while I can deal with the wind, it was a lot easier to cup my hands to light a joint than it is to faff with a dynavap). If money was no object an IH would have a place in my bag as something I bring on longer backpacking trips. I'm guessing a charged 18650 gets you more clicks than it does bowls out of e.g. a P80, FW7, or TM. Unfortunately the portable ones are at a price point where personally I'd rather just buy something that offers a better flavor experience.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
Is the Woodscent a heavy hitter?
Since it uses exclusively the Dyna tip, I guess it's better for microdosing?

Duba,

ChilledAsian

In terms of "do they both get you high" then yeah, all of the above are very effective. Certainly if you want to tailor your experience towards a specific temp (all kinds of charts showing the vaporization temps of various cannabinoids, I find lower temp = more energetic and uplifting and vice versa) I find the WS to be much better. I'm sure there are tricks you can do in terms of counting flashing lights on an ih or just timing a flame, but its much easier and more reproducible to just set a dial.

In terms of flavor I think its a no brainer. I really respect the dynvap for what it is--in addition to the set up that comes with the Woodscents I bought a 2020 M in Rosium (I wanted something indestructible for camping and hiking and other outdoor activities and I also just think it looks rad). But I don't think its a flavor chasers end game vape. At best its a hybrid conduction/convection vape, but more realistically it feels tilted very heavy towards conduction to me, and I don't get much flavor after the first hit (and the end of a stainless tip is just kinda bad when I take it all the way). Nothing about an induction heater changes this for me.

Yeah, I don't want to yuck anyone's yum. I guess my comment on IHs being overly hyped is more a reaction to folks on reddit calling them "game changers." As I said, I don't think it transforms the quality of the vapor. I think an IH would be awfully convenient outdoors (flame leaves a bit to be desired when its bright out and while I can deal with the wind, it was a lot easier to cup my hands to light a joint than it is to faff with a dynavap). If money was no object an IH would have a place in my bag as something I bring on longer backpacking trips. I'm guessing a charged 18650 gets you more clicks than it does bowls out of e.g. a P80, FW7, or TM. Unfortunately the portable ones are at a price point where personally I'd rather just buy something that offers a better flavor experience.
TBH I hate my IH, and I was considering a WS since I have a few tips. I kinda like the conduction high on of the DV alone and was just wondering if the WS will give the same effects.

ChilledAsian,

Chainfish

(have forgotten how to copy comments and reply, drugs eh)
@Duba, the WS doesn't exclusively use the dyna tip, you also get glass stems which you use a domed screen in, this alters the amount that can be vaped, you add a high temp oring to the WS to help create seal but don't bother when using the wpa one. You are correct that microdosing is where it shines.

(my opinion-often wrong)- The WS offers better flavor hits because mostly convection with some conduction (if i want to finish a bowl in single hit, will connect for 15-30secs b4 taking a draw). Fiddling with temps etc can give a few different experiences.
Will this replace your heavy hitter big bowl vape- maybe, but not because it hits the same. I love the LSV, I think a full bowl on that is possibly my fave vape experience but it's not good for conserving weed. What I'd use in one bowl on the LSV will fill several dynatips for the WS. Because weed conservation is an issue for me, I'm using the WS almost exclusively. Had mine over 6months and very happy with it. Pieces of art

gordontreeman

Is the Woodscent a heavy hitter?
Since it uses exclusively the Dyna tip, I guess it's better for microdosing?
Yeah I'm not sure I'd call it a heavy hitter due to the stem/bowl size. Its extraordinarily efficient with what you put in (I usually do <= a third of a dynavap bowl and that is more than enough to milk up my water pipe, which is a reasonable sized rig but not like a 2' tall bong or something for some perspective). As @Chainfish mentioned you can use glass stems and basket screens with the WS as well if you want a larger bowl, but whether a dyna tip or glass stem I find that packing more in reduces the efficiency. You can still kill the bowl over more drags, but even with stirring the avb is never as consistent as when I use small doses.

FWIW I also don't find myself using the glass stems much. Maybe I should revisit them. The heater in the WS mates very well with a dynavap tip. The glass stems are sealed on with an o ring, but because they don't slide on very far and don't have perfectly level edges I found getting a good/consistent seal wasn't a great experience. If I wanted to exclusively use glass stems the WS might not be my first choice, but I haven't found any cons to using the dynavap tip.

TBH I hate my IH, and I was considering a WS since I have a few tips. I kinda like the conduction high on of the DV alone and was just wondering if the WS will give the same effects.
Yeah in terms of getting you there I think you would be fine. The WS and Dynavap are both extremely efficient, the woodscents just offers much better flavor and an easier time tailoring the temp to suit ime. I will say that if you enjoy the conduction flavor then maybe the WS isn't for you? Its possible there is a bit of a hybrid effect going on--when I pack larger bowls and don't want to stir I'll leave the heater and tip connected for a few minutes to preheat before killing the bowl. This results in an even AVB without stirring, but I'm honestly not sure if this is due to conduction heating or just that the tip is up to temp such that no heat is pulled from the hot air as it moves through the material. In either case I don't get conduction flavors as I understand them--not trying to break any rules re: device specific threads, but a Firewood 7 might be worth looking into if you enjoy the conduction flavor.

GoldenBud

Yeah in terms of getting you there I think you would be fine. The WS and Dynavap are both extremely efficient, the woodscents just offers much better flavor and an easier time tailoring the temp to suit ime. I will say that if you enjoy the conduction flavor then maybe the WS isn't for you? Its possible there is a bit of a hybrid effect going on--when I pack larger bowls and don't want to stir I'll leave the heater and tip connected for a few minutes to preheat before killing the bowl. This results in an even AVB without stirring, but I'm honestly not sure if this is due to conduction heating or just that the tip is up to temp such that no heat is pulled from the hot air as it moves through the material. In either case I don't get conduction flavors as I understand them--not trying to break any rules re: device specific threads, but a Firewood 7 might be worth looking into if you enjoy the conduction flavor.
Yeah because vapcap has the heating-without-inhaling "feature", the WS is superior over the conduction..I wonder how a conduction without waiting time feels like. I need to try the Sublimator once....but the WS brings new profiles of taste AND bigger clouds..., made my VapCap as a "cabriolet" vehicle ;)

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Ed's TnT

The last time I was in this thread was June 2018! Where did almost 2 years go?
The last time I was also looking for more power and was thinking about a VVPS. I never did get around to buying a VVPS and put the WoodScents safely back in it's shipping box and it sat in the cupboard...:(

For some reason I thought about the WS this morning and retrieved it from storage in the cupboard.
Re-read the instructions and remembered I was maxing out the dial and almost closed the box again.
One more try for science!
I let it heat up on 8 for about 5 minutes and then moved up to 10 and let it heat soak for 30+ minutes.
The body is only slightly warm a few hours later, so all good!

I first tried the Ti DynaVap tip as I was hoping the extra metal would add a bit extra to the hit.
Worked pretty good but I find 2 of this screens to be a bit too restrictive.

Onto the glass tube and screen, placed about 3mm from the end of the WS tip when seated.
Ground a load on medium and worked a lot better!
Still was room for improvement though.

Last and final trial run was with the 14mm glass stem with basket, the super short one.
Loaded it up again, used my 12" tall RooR and milked the crap out of it!!!:D:clap::rockon::love:
Did this a few times and it does one hit bowls that are so flavourful and tasty!

This little wooden masterpiece will now be living on the desk with the other big boys!

Thanks again Ed and sorry for taking so damn long to figure this out!

Salvaged_Title_Robot

I got a WS about a month ago, and man is this thing efficient! I have a VVPS and the glass aroma stem with glass WPA (no tip), and I love the flavor this thing delivers. I have pretty much gotten the technique down with the non-Dyna stems and I really like them except for the conical screens (they get pushed further down the stem easily in the 4" Aromastem). I have a few Dynavap tips and sadly none of them fit and can be knocked over with a breath of air (with no stem) while balancing on the WS. I was digging around and found that a '19 C-Vap tip I had fit way better and wasn't easily toppled over (I have to shake the WS to get it to fall over with no stem". I cleaned everything and tried it out- I got a weak hit. I tried all of this with no o-ring and the VVPS on 12.6 and warmed up for 30 min. Is that too low? Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to know when a tip is a right fit (like does it press-fit on there or is there a wobble)? Should I "heat-soak" the tip in the WS first? Sorry for all the questions, I tried my best to search the forum and google but I couldn't find what I needed.

Salvaged_Title_Robot,
I’m digging this new cooling stem from O’Connell Woodworks. Nice length and thickness (lol) with great cooling. Wasn’t cheap but feels quality. It’s carbless which I prefer with the WS.

@Salvaged_Title_Robot IMO, ideal tip fit is loose, so there’s no resistance when placing on the heater or removing from the heater, and you should be able to spin the stem freely while hitting it. I can still balance the stem on the unit with this fit, and it won’t fall off if you’re careful. I do enjoy letting the tip heatsoak on the heater for a minute or so before taking my hit, I think it helps with vapor production!

CA71398-E-9-ACE-4031-B0-F6-E78-A56-B51-EED.jpg

Last edited:

Salvaged_Title_Robot

@Salvaged_Title_Robot IMO, ideal tip fit is loose, so there’s no resistance when placing on the heater or removing from the heater, and you should be able to spin the stem freely while hitting it.
Thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I was pretty surprised no one helped me out, but I guess it was dumb question. It turns out that I was just being scared of cranking up the WS and was getting bad results because of the reduced power (I was using the same volts needed for glass only stems). Heat-soaking was what I missing, as well. I also just cut a tiny sleeve of silicone tubing and slipped it over all my Dyna tips after they are loaded, so it seals against the heater when in place. Now all my tips work and it even stays in the WS if I shake the hell out of it, even with a long stem. Problem solved! Nice stem, I got a gnarly stem from S.P. but the carb is annoying, I need a carb-less one.

gordontreeman

That's strange @Salvaged_Title_Robot, I don't find I need to use any extra juice with the dynavap tip vs the glass wpa.

I don't think either of my tips would fall off if I put them on the heater sans stem and puffed at them, but nor are they anything like press fit--they fit over the heater cover well but I'm able to spin and rotate the woodscents like @letter never sent said. If it fits so loose that you're pulling in as much or more cool air as you are heated air from the central tube I guess that would be bad.

One thing to consider is the amount you pack into the DV tip--it can get pretty restricted if you really pack it full and end up tamping down your flower with the heater/tip. I find just a small amount gently pressed below where the heater will be (maybe my pinky finger nail sized amount of bud? I use a scoop I picked up from Rogue Wax Works and don't even necessarily fill the scoop) encourages even avb and good airflow--I'm less tamping and more just pushing it all down below the heater.

Regarding heat soaking, I don't necessarily start my bowl with it if I'm trying to savor the flavor, but I find it works wonders to kill a tip and not need to necessarily stir.

Salvaged_Title_Robot

I don't find I need to use any extra juice with the dynavap tip vs the glass wpa.
How many Volts are you supplying your WS with? I started off at 12v but it was too cool for me and ended up at 12.6 for the glass stems, then I tried all my dyna tips and tried 13v and it worked pretty well. I'm paranoid of accidentally bumping the knob past 14v lmao.
If it fits so loose that you're pulling in as much or more cool air as you are heated air from the central tube I guess that would be bad.
This happening to all but one '19 Cvap tip that I have which sucks because I have Ti tips. This the plus the underpowered scenario made me wonder about it being "press fit". Thanks for clearing this up for me. I am having good results when I don't overpack lol.

Salvaged_Title_Robot,

gordontreeman

@Salvaged_Title_Robot I’m not sure on the voltage. I’ve just been using the stock dimmer switch. I think I read somewhere that it’s 12.6 at the max setting, but I could be mistaken. I never go that hot anyway. I find 8 is as high as I generally want to go for a nice brown avb, and 6 or 7 if I want a lower temp experience.

Salvaged_Title_Robot

@gordontreeman Ahh, I see. Hopefully someone with a VVPS can chime in because I don't want to overwork my WS. I'm thinking that maybe since I'm using a SS tip it needs to have higher wattage to get full extraction hits (since they come with/usually used with TI tips) and it'll take longer to heat SS up? Idk. I'll do more experimentation during the weekend and I will report back. Thanks for your help again!
Edit: I just remembered I also have the stock dimmer. I'll check your settings and see what's up.

Last edited:
Salvaged_Title_Robot,
Reactions: Chainfish

gingerbier

Space Ranger
Ahh, I see. Hopefully someone with a VVPS can chime in because I don't want to overwork my WS. I'm thinking that maybe since I'm using a SS tip it needs to have higher wattage to get full extraction hits (since they come with/usually used with TI tips) and it'll take longer to heat SS up? Idk. I'll do more experimentation during the weekend and I will report back. Thanks for your help again!
Edit: I just remembered I also have the stock dimmer. I'll check your settings and see what's up.
I have a VVPS. I usually run it at 12.5-13 on my older heater, 11 on a newer one. That'll make the AVB as dark as coffee grounds in both cases.

gordontreeman

I've been meaning to try a vvps. Do any of you know if my statement earlier is accurate ("max on the dimmer is 12.6v")? I have no idea where I read it tbh--I think in this thread? It would just be nice to know that e.g. the 8 I like on the dimmer is ~ xyz volts. Not to take away from anyone's questions, just has me curious if the extra precision would be for me now that its up for discussion =).

Also any other good dynavap WPA options besides Ed's beaded glass option? The bb9 is too big/unwieldy, and the carb is kind of a pita through water (its a nice little native option if you enjoy dynavaps, though!). I want something I can easily use with a waterpipe and pull like I'm pulling a stem/bowl from a bong, so it seems like the wooden or glass beaded option is the move. Just curious what else might be out there in the same price range.

p.p.s. I dig the anodizing refc is doing with Ed's stuff lately, too. I can't justify a whole new WS yet, but might have to pick up some of his tips and stems down the road! The matte finish is really beautiful.

Salvaged_Title_Robot

I have a VVPS. I usually run it at 12.5-13 on my older heater, 11 on a newer one. That'll make the AVB as dark as coffee grounds in both cases.
11v on the new heater? That's great. I have a 2020 and I can't seem to get anything with a Dyna tip before 13v. For the glass Aromastems I use 12v.
10 on dimmer is 12.2v which is the same as plugging it directly, happy conversion!
Lol I feel kind of dumb now. Thanks for chiming in and letting us know!
p.p.s. I dig the anodizing refc is doing with Ed's stuff lately, too
I had seen this on Instagram and then on the Ed's website. Very, very cool!

Salvaged_Title_Robot,

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Strange.. I have a december 2019 Woodscents and it came with the new heater. My favourite volts are 10,7 and I can clear a bowl in 2 hits. If I crank it up to 11.2, it will spend the bowl in one hit but with worst flavour

Top Bottom