• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Pete

As a rule I never remove the screens from the stem either, I just push them to the end of the stem, so I can give them a good scrubbing.
I don't even move the screen. I have one stem about 5 years old, original screen. Never moved it except to adjust the depth. I scrap out the AVB with the enano tool, blow out what's left, and drop it in a jar of 92% ISO for about 20 seconds, rinse it with hot water and blow the water out. Other than topping off the ISO in the jar, it is the same ISO for 5 years. If I had used Everclear, I'd have a pretty good tincture by now. I think as long you stay on top of it and clean the stem every 4 or 5 uses, you'll never need to do anything else.

I've seen a number of posters who say they dislike the stems because they're so hard to clean. They apparently remove the screen AND the silicon ring each time. Just don't. It tears up the screen and the silicon. A brief ISO immersion won't hurt anything, at least in 5 years. Just get a new stem if a decade of cleaning impacts it.

cannasoor

I don't even move the screen. I have one stem about 5 years old, original screen. Never moved it except to adjust the depth. I scrap out the AVB with the enano tool, blow out what's left, and drop it in a jar of 92% ISO for about 20 seconds, rinse it with hot water and blow the water out. Other than topping off the ISO in the jar, it is the same ISO for 5 years. If I had used Everclear, I'd have a pretty good tincture by now. I think as long you stay on top of it and clean the stem every 4 or 5 uses, you'll never need to do anything else.

I've seen a number of posters who say they dislike the stems because they're so hard to clean. They apparently remove the screen AND the silicon ring each time. Just don't. It tears up the screen and the silicon. A brief ISO immersion won't hurt anything, at least in 5 years. Just get a new stem if a decade of cleaning impacts it.

I like your approach: very minimal. I use Everclear myself, and I had originally hoped to re-use it as tincture, etc. … but it turns out that without my gall bladder, I can't really process edibles, at least as best I can tell. (Neither commercial edibles nor the "tinctures" I've made from ABV / AVB have done much for me. 😔 ) But I still use the Everclear on general principles, just in case of any contamination. Plus it's cheap enough: somewhere around $5-8 per bottle, and I only use about a bottle per year for cleaning (and that includes several other vapes, plus tons of glass vials, utensils, etc.).

Lest you think I must have pretty dirty stems: I actually clean pretty often, maybe a three times a week. A bit more bother than your approach, but what I do is this: pop the screen out with my tamper rod, brush it off, then clean the stem by plunging a little folded/rolled half-a-tissue through the stem, after just dipping the end of the roll in Everclear, using the tamper rod again to plunge. The wet end of the roll picks up most of the residue, and the dry end dries behind, along the way, and keeps the tamper rod from getting wet. Less often, I also soak the screens in a vial with salt and Everclear, shake a lot, then rinse. In either case, I then use the tamper rod to re-seat the screen and I'm set to go! (I've never had any problem with the screens being hard to seat/re-seat, even the older "scraggly" ones). I too leave the silicone rings on: they stay tight and stable enough for me to use them to gauge the distance by eye—I've double-checked at times, and I get a surprisingly consistent 13mm from top of screen (cup-style) to the end of the stem, which seems to be optimal for me. (My "cups" start with the herb between 3/4 and full-up-to-the-top-edge, though they sit a bit lower after tamping.)

Getting the tissue roll just right was a bit tricky at first, but now it's just second-nature (if anyone is interested, I could post details … and I'll try not to make an infographic out of it, to everyone's great relief, I'm sure 😆 ). I even got a sample dental roll from my dentist once, to try those, but the diameter was off and they have a kind of plastic mesh covering, as it turns out, so not quite as effective.

So my technique is a bit more "fussy" than yours, but I can clean a couple of stems without standing up or leaving my desk, and in about a minute per stem, I think.

Anyway, the point is: there are lots of quick, easy, inexpensive, and effective ways to clean one's Nano stems. In the end, it's the easiest of my vapes to keep sparkly clean, with minimal effort, on a regular basis.

A_Vapey_Kinda_Guy

Hey guys! Longtime lurker here, just made an account to post this.

Soooooooo I made a big oopsie and I really would appreciate some help from you wonderful people. This morning I turned my e-nano to 10 to heat it up faster. Went to go make a pot of coffee. Came back and got distracted by my dog barking. I let her out in the yard. Then come back to my desk to get ready for my morning routine. Alas I was still distracted and thinking about a lot of stuff--and I look into my (very hot) e-nano and see some weed dust on the inner tube. I think "hey nothing a quick brush can't fix!" and proceed to a dumbass and stick my straw cleaner brush (which I usually only use on my glass after it cools down) in there and swish it around real quick. I saw the vapors come out of the device and get really confused, then the smell of melting plastic hit me like a ton of bricks. "Fuck. I'm. so. dumb." I thought to myself. The whole side of the brush was pretty much melted off. And black sticky reside all over the inner tube.

So here I am. I was running it on 10 at like half hour intervals earlier today, trying to get it to burn off and make smell to go away. I also used a little metal scraper dentist type tool + a chopstick to get some off the caked on burnt black residue off the tube. I then saw on a similar post in this thread from 2015 that you want to be careful with scraping the stainless steel so I stopped doing that. From that same thread @ACE OF VAPE said that fine sandpaper can be used on the tube. However he also said if there is plastic inside the tube then you need to remove the heating element and clean the SS casing seperately. So basically I'm lost on what to do next. I can't say for sure that there isn't plastic from the brush inside the air intake holes. So do I need to take my e-nano apart?

Thanks for reading guys. Wish me luck :'(

Edit for spelling

cvs8floz

Broke out the eNano last night after many exclusive Weedeater months. Used the same bong and downdrop as for Weedeater, and immediately noticed flavors I hadn't tasted with the Weedeater in months, so I can unequivocally state that the eNano wins in the flavor department. I also decided to stir after 1st hit and was able to get decent second hits.

LilHueso

Broke out the eNano last night after many exclusive Weedeater months. Used the same bong and downdrop as for Weedeater, and immediately noticed flavors I hadn't tasted with the Weedeater in months, so I can unequivocally state that the eNano wins in the flavor department. I also decided to stir after 1st hit and was able to get decent second hits.
How’s the flavor compared to portables? This is my first desktop vaporizer. I bought one on ent exchange and I’m waiting on it to get here.

Also how many hits do you get per bowl?

howie105

How’s the flavor compared to portables? This is my first desktop vaporizer. I bought one on ent exchange and I’m waiting on it to get here.... Its depends on the vape, how well its getting used and what is going in it. I have vapes that I use mostly because they are really tasty for the first hit or two and other vapes that aren't so good at the flavor thing. The Nano is not bad, not great but OK.

This is my first desktop vaporizer.... Some suggestions, read this it will answer many of the questions a new user may have. Pay particular attention to your draw, consistency is your friend especially in the beginning. If you vary the temperature knob off 6.5 go in very small steps, the difference between 6.5 and 7.5 can be HUGE. The vape body is small but the heater is powerful and positioned close to the load, go carefully.

Also how many hits do you get per bowl?... One to three normally but it makes a great one hitter. Other folks see to be able to get many more hits out of their Nano then I do but, I have other session vapes that I prefer for movie night.

Welcome to the camp, and enjoy your new vape.

Hey guys! Longtime lurker here, just made an account to post this.

Soooooooo I made a big oopsie and I really would appreciate some help from you wonderful people. This morning I turned my e-nano to 10 to heat it up faster. Went to go make a pot of coffee. Came back and got distracted by my dog barking. I let her out in the yard. Then come back to my desk to get ready for my morning routine. Alas I was still distracted and thinking about a lot of stuff--and I look into my (very hot) e-nano and see some weed dust on the inner tube. I think "hey nothing a quick brush can't fix!" and proceed to a dumbass and stick my straw cleaner brush (which I usually only use on my glass after it cools down) in there and swish it around real quick. I saw the vapors come out of the device and get really confused, then the smell of melting plastic hit me like a ton of bricks. "Fuck. I'm. so. dumb." I thought to myself. The whole side of the brush was pretty much melted off. And black sticky reside all over the inner tube.

So here I am. I was running it on 10 at like half hour intervals earlier today, trying to get it to burn off and make smell to go away. I also used a little metal scraper dentist type tool + a chopstick to get some off the caked on burnt black residue off the tube. I then saw on a similar post in this thread from 2015 that you want to be careful with scraping the stainless steel so I stopped doing that. From that same thread @ACE OF VAPE said that fine sandpaper can be used on the tube. However he also said if there is plastic inside the tube then you need to remove the heating element and clean the SS casing seperately. So basically I'm lost on what to do next. I can't say for sure that there isn't plastic from the brush inside the air intake holes. So do I need to take my e-nano apart?

Thanks for reading guys. Wish me luck :'(

Edit for spelling
Before I would open up the vape I would take a small soft hit with an empty stem to see if there is an aftertaste, who knows you may already be good. Tearing down a Nano is fairly simple, if you can disassemble and reassemble a desk lamp you probably have the skills. Just remember it's always coffee first on bad days two cups first.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Can anyone redirect me to some tips for using the e-nano. I already read the best of thread. I’m new here so I’m not quite sure how to navigate the website.

Welcome to the thread @LilHueso . You're gonna love your nano. Flavor and efficiency are top notch. There is lots of great info throughout the thread. I don't claim to be an expert, but I did offer some tips to a prior poster on page 953 if interested. A lot of it has to do with practice. Fun, fun practice.

cannasoor

If you vary the temperature knob off 6.5 go in very small steps, the difference between 6.5 and 7.5 can be HUGE.

Wise words from @howie105 ! Small steps are the key!

[Also replying to @LilHueso here]

There is a lot of variance based on your power situation, individual Nano, temperament of your herb, etc. I usually start at 5.5 myself, sometimes even a bit lower. And I usually bump in steps of something like 0.25 or 0.3. If I start at just under 5.5, I may get slightly weaker hits, but perhaps with slightly better flavor.

But I also sometimes come in “strong” starting at 5.8 or even 6.0—and notice how little difference there is between 5.5 and 5.8! The “strong” hits are almost too big (for me!) to handle at first, gotta pull up short a few times (i.e., stop the hit earlier than expected to avoid getting overwhelmed). Amount, grind, and “pack” (how much you tamp it down before hitting the first time, or after a stir) also affect things.

The best advice is what you'll find on the thread, namely: “It all kind of depends on a lot of variables, you'll get better at it with practice.”

On the other hand, that advice can be very frustrating: “But where the heck do I start??”

I tried to give a sample answer in graphical form a few pages back (here), but for me, the text version would be:
  • I grind quite fine compared to most (fine grinding plate, upside down for 40+ quick “twists”, alternating directions, etc.).
  • I pack about 0.03 grams (i.e., roughly 1/30th), enough to barely fill a “cup style” screen pre-tamp (most people use “cap-style” if they use screens) and I just lightly tamp, trying to leave it still a bit “fluffy” for airflow.
  • I normally start at about 5.5 and take about 8 hits, at about 8 seconds per hit to start, then increasing to say 12 seconds or more per hit later on. (I like to milk the first few hits for flavor: more smaller hits = more time total tasting it on the exhale … I guess?)
  • I do about 8 hits at the starting temp before I stop to stir, tamp, and bump the temp by about 0.3. Then I do another 8 or so hits at that temp, repeat again, up until I hit maybe 6.7 or so at the top end (even 7.0 or 7.2 if the herb is reluctant to get brown).
  • Important note: other experienced users seem to think I spend waaay too much time overall, but I like flavor at the front and the feeling that I really fully extracted everything by the end. (“Gourmet up front, miser in the back”—I’ll ask my barber what he can do for me 😁).
  • I stir with what amounts to a toothpick (others use the “E-pic”) and tamp down with what is essentially a chopstick (others use a pencil).
(Again, for me …) All of this is done dry and via the stainless steel screens, standard-length stems: but I also use water sometimes, and also an ice stem sometimes (the early version with the glass screen). For some reason, I often use the ice stems when I want to go “strong and fast”, starting at 5.8 or 6.0, taking fewer-but-bigger hits (this is easier for me with the ice stem, I think), and then ramping up as before.

[Hmm, I sketched a more elaborate version of the “session profile” infographic and it looks like I never posted it in this FC thread; you can see it on my imgbb site here.]

The last thing I’ll say is that once you find something that works for you … try shaking things up every once in a while! This will prevent you from getting in a rut too early in your learning experience and missing out on some possibilities (more flavor at the lower end, bigger hits to start, water versus dry, etc.). For example, I would recommend every once in a while starting out about 0.25 up or down from your usual starting temp, just to see what happens.

Pete

My simple routine:

Because there is some variation in household voltage and maybe some variations in Enanos, I can't be exact, but I normally set mine somewhere around 6.5. This is likely a good place to start 95% of the time. Then adjust slightly as I play around. The preferred range for mine is about 6.3 to 6.8. Once I get the temp right, I leave the dial there, never change it. In fact, I have a rubber band on mine and never move it, it's sitting at 6.7 - I use a smart switch to turn it on/off so never need to move the dial. If you vape through water you may need a higher temp, but I use the ice stems without water.

The Enano works with many levels of grind. I have, on occasion, used small popcorn buds that I stick in whole and take a hit and then squish it up for further hits. But I generally prefer finely ground.

I load the stem with somewhere between 0.05 and 0.08 mg. I do it by volume using a homemade scoop. Typically a little over 1/3rd inch of finely ground cannabis. About 1 centimeter is more exact. I then lightly tamp it with a chopstick, hold the stem like a cigar, finers on the silicone grip, and bring the enano up to it. I take a good hit, 5-8 seconds. The first hit is the "flavor" hit, not a lot of vapor. I may stir it and retamp it, take another hit, the "main" hit. Stir and take a final hit, blow it out and lightly scrape out any remaining herb with the enano tool. I find the new "cup" style screens not to hold in place as well as the old screens, so I have to be careful. The glass screens won't move, of course, but you can break them with scraping too hard although I've had no problem in over a year of previously using a glass screen and I wasn't careful at all. If I want more, I reload the stem or have another stem already loaded.

You don't really need to stir it every time but I think it gives slightly better vaporization.

It's nice to have mutliple stems if you plan to have a group - everybody can

Accessories - in addition to a scoop, it's nice to have an ashtray to set the hot stem down in between hits or when you are done. Not essential as the end of the stem that goes in the Enano cools off very quickly after you remove it. I originally used an ashtray as the old Enano stems would roll off a table. The newer silicone grips are octagonal ( or hex, haven't checked) to prevent this. But it is nice to have an ashtray for the stems and to blow/scrape out AVB. I have a nice retro clear glass one.

Last edited:

cvs8floz

How’s the flavor compared to portables? This is my first desktop vaporizer. I bought one on ent exchange and I’m waiting on it to get here.

Also how many hits do you get per bowl?
With the glass bowl, flavor beats any portables I own except maybe the Firefly which can deliver very tasty hits if you put in the lung effort. I normally get 2 good hits per bowl at 6.0, you can get more hits if you increase temp. but be careful, very easy to combust if you leave heater on bowl too long at the higher temps. The inconvenience is that you are constantly dumping and reloading and it is not easy to load the bowl without making a mess, you really have to use this thing at a table or desk, not made for the couch.

despeRAWdo

Fan of Hot Air Makers.
I've been preferring the ice stem over my GonG recently. I like the direct draw and the cleaning process is much easier than cleaning the whole bubbler. So today I picked up a j-hook at my local shop, going to try that tonight.

A_Vapey_Kinda_Guy

Before I would open up the vape I would take a small soft hit with an empty stem to see if there is an aftertaste, who knows you may already be good. Tearing down a Nano is fairly simple, if you can disassemble and reassemble a desk lamp you probably have the skills. Just remember it's always coffee first on bad days two cups first.

Hey thanks for the response homie. I did try a few light inhales, and (although my stem wasn't perfectly clean), I do think I'm detecting a slight plastic after taste. And of course now I'm having some slight tightness in my chest lol. It's probably just anxiety though. So to have peace of mind that I'm not inhaling any plastic, I definitely want to open up my e-nano so I can clean the stainless steel separately. Can you or anyone else here let me know how to take it apart? I found a video on YouTube about how to remove the base but not the other parts. I can also do some searching in the thread of course. The other question would be what is the best way to clean the stainless steel? I was assuming just iso?

A_Vapey_Kinda_Guy,

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hey thanks for the response homie. I did try a few light inhales, and (although my stem wasn't perfectly clean), I do think I'm detecting a slight plastic after taste. And of course now I'm having some slight tightness in my chest lol. It's probably just anxiety though. So to have peace of mind that I'm not inhaling any plastic, I definitely want to open up my e-nano so I can clean the stainless steel separately. Can you or anyone else here let me know how to take it apart? I found a video on YouTube about how to remove the base but not the other parts. I can also do some searching in the thread of course. The other question would be what is the best way to clean the stainless steel? I was assuming just iso?
I would just turn it on high for a while.
My guess is it will burn off anything that may have gotten down in there......it gets hot as you know.
😂

Traaaaan

I've been preferring the ice stem over my GonG recently. I like the direct draw and the cleaning process is much easier than cleaning the whole bubbler. So today I picked up a j-hook at my local shop, going to try that tonight.
I got a grav jhook with a 12mm female joint and use it with my nano almost as much as my little bubbler. It hits like a smoother, more ergonomic straight stem.

A_Vapey_Kinda_Guy

I would just turn it on high for a while.
My guess is it will burn off anything that may have gotten down in there......it gets hot as you know.
😂
Hey just an update guys. All is well! I was able to get rid of the plastic smell/taste by just keeping on 10 for a while longer (like probably 1 hr intervals 3 or 4 times) and scraping the rest of the plastic residue (which was basically just sticky ash at this point) off with the back of a chopstick. No more plastic smells, residue, or off-gassing anywhere! Never had to take it apart. Truly grateful to have a vape that is so simple and elegant to use that it can come back from a mistake like this. Loving my e-nano and love you guys. Also ditto to @Pete about including a natural fiber brush. @howie105 I'll look into the brass brush for sure!!

Pete

The new Enano screens

So now I've used all three Enano screens - the original metal screens, the fixed glass screens and the newer cup screens.

I have to say I prefer the older, scragglier screens the best. The glass screens are too restrictive on airflow and let through too many particles if you grind fine. The new cup screens look much nicer but don't hold their place in the stem very well. I think they are too smooth, unlike the original screens which sort of grab the tube with their rough edges.

The new screens are so loose that every time I try to stir the herb I move the screen. I've been delaying cleaning so that the gunk buildup holds them in place better. The movement is particularly troublesome with the ice stem, as it tends to get pushed further back into the stem. To push it forward again is difficult with the glass beads in the way.

I have no trouble with the fixed position of the glass screen, just the flow restriction and large holes. I wonder if there is a way to fix the metal screens in place - perhaps an indent in the stem that the cup stem rests against? Or some other design for a metal screen that looks neater than the old screens but stays in position.

I have a question - I reversed the cup screen from the direction in came - with the open cup facing the load - and turned it around with the open side facing the beads. I did this because it makes a cleaner base for the herb, easier to stir and scrap out, and matches the way the older screens were used. Do you think this makes it move more easily?

howie105

I took the new formed screen out of my new stem, flattened it out a bit, and then put it back in with its smooth surface facing the load. There hasn't been a problem with the screen moving around in the stem, but I am fairly careful when I load, tamp or stir the load. I suspect that given enough time and use the new screen will tighten up a bit more.

Top Bottom