cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Looks like my helix will get here tomorrow. I'll be able to give it a try later tomorrow night. I'll try it out on a Revolve G2 with a standard cap. If it becomes my carry around Vapcap I will keep it in my Wenge XL Dynastash.
Been using a torch much more than an IH lately. Might be interesting to see how well it works with an IH.

highasakite

I have been using an M for a couple years with a Dynastash case. I am in the process of buying my girlfriend a B with their sale going on. But it doesn't look like they sell a magnet anymore. I have searched the thread, but only seen the Mad Heaters magnet mentioned - I'm in the US and shipping kinda kills it. I just want a $2 magnet that I can glue on something. Suggestions?

Edit: After further googling, I found it on their site - search "Dynamag" not "magnet" lol.. It's $5 now. https://www.dynavap.com/products/the-dynamag

Last edited:

Petetbay

I just want a $2 magnet that I can glue on something. Suggestions?
i’ve tried looking for different sources for magnets, Walmart, hardware stores etc, never found good magnets Madheaters are the best, but POTV always stocks the DV mags for cheap.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I got my Helix tip yesterday and used it almost exclusively last night on a couple different stems. It IS a very different tip, especially because of the holes in it around the barrel of the bowl. I have never enjoyed or effectively used a VC with a fully open air port as George has tended to recommend as I never felt like it gave me a hit density I enjoyed as well as a more or completely closed port. I always felt that more negative pressure was necessary to my enjoyment and hit effectiveness.
This tip gives a noticeably different experience that I imagine is more like an open port, but it works very well for me. Using it at the half bowl setting there is more air flow than I am used to but the vapor quality is great. It combined quite well with a couple different stem styles, but especially with the Revolve with it's cooler vapor stream. I imagine that increased air flow comes from both the holes in the barrel AND the increased scalloping of the tip end that mates with the cap. I used a standard non captive cap for my tests.
It was a very pleasant experience, and I think I will leave it on my Revolve for now...

Farid

Helix arrived.

I thoroughly cleaned it, then swapped it out with my old tip, a 5 finned TI tip, gen 5.

My old setup was an older 2016/2017 syle omni body, with the carb fully closed, the tip set to the smallest position, and an older gen cap, pinched tight.

I loaded it with Ethos Colin OG, probably about 4 or 5 calyxs, loosely packed

I was pretty gentle with the heating. My old technique was to heat in center of the cap, 2 seconds past the click. 2 flame torch. This would fully kill that small bowl in one heat cycle, leaving pretty dark remains.

With the helix I heated just half a second past the click. The result was a very flavorful but hot hit. Felt like there was more heat in the air coming out. I was very surprised to see the bud was still very light colored. I did a second heat cycle which I was sure put me at the verge of combustion. But the bud was still very light colored. I cashed it.
I think next time I will heat a bit lower on the cap, so as to kill it in one heat cycle

It certainly feels like it heats up a bit quicker. But more heat is also transferred to the stem. That's not an issue to me, since I only ever do one bowl in a row.

I've not used it enough to make any real objective comparisons to my old tip. So far the biggest difference is the lack of draw restriction. I have yet to see how that effects mouth to lung hits, but for lung hits its really quite effective. I imagine if you wanted more restriction you could just pack your bud a little tighter.

And of course, the amount I use is unusual, so people who use a more normal quantity will have a very different experience.

Overall I like it a lot. I also think it's the best looking tip they've made so far.

Last edited:

BeltedCoyote

Foggin up the woods
Helix arrived.

I thoroughly cleaned it, then swapped it out with my old tip, a 5 finned TI tip, gen 5.

My old setup was an older 2016/2017 syle omni body, with the carb fully closed, the tip set to the smallest position, and an older gen cap, pinched tight.

I loaded it with Ethos Colin OG, probably about 4 or 5 calyxs, loosely packed

I was pretty gentle with the heating. My old technique was to heat in center of the cap, 2 seconds past the click. 2 flame torch. This would fully kill that small bowl in one heat cycle, leaving pretty dark remains.

With the helix I heated just half a second past the click. The result was a very flavorful but hot hit. Felt like there was more heat in the air coming out. I was very surprised to see the bud was still very light colored. I did a second heat cycle which I was sure put me at the verge of combustion. But the bud was still very light colored. I cashed it.
I think next time I will heat a bit lower on the cap, so as to kill it in one heat cycle

It certainly feels like it heats up a bit quicker. But more heat is also transferred to the stem. That's not an issue to me, since I only ever do one bowl in a row.

I've not used it enough to make any real objective comparisons to my old tip. So far the biggest difference is the lack of draw restriction. I have yet to see how that effects mouth to lung hits, but for lung hits its really quite effective. I imagine if you wanted more restriction you could just pack your bud a little tighter.

And of course, the amount I use is unusual, so people who use a more normal quantity will have a very different experience.

Overall I like it a lot. I also think it's the best looking tip they've made so far.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

hinglemccringleberry

Anyone ever use their DV among a cigar kickback/bbq?
It's the only non-ghetto environment with a bunch of dudes sitting around using torch lighters.
DV fits right in...

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Anyone ever use their DV among a cigar kickback/bbq?
It's the only non-ghetto environment with a bunch of dudes sitting around using torch lighters.
DV fits right in...
They won't even notice:

QyfdZpm1TqxIAwlj9zEM9-Qt3PJO_huVfqQpMpAP-VU.jpg

kairos

I lost (or someone stealed…) my beloved and beautiful Simrell Vortex from 2019. I’m on the fence to buy a Hyper 9 but I don’t see a lot of feedback on this thread.

Do some of you own both classic Vortex and Hyper 9? How do they compare?

May your clouds be fantastic.

coolbreeze

I lost (or someone stealed…) my beloved and beautiful Simrell Vortex from 2019. I’m on the fence to buy a Hyper 9 but I don’t see a lot of feedback on this thread.

Do some of you own both classic Vortex and Hyper 9? How do they compare?

May your clouds be fantastic.
Can't speak to the stem but I have the 9-fin tip and it's a beast. I pretty much can't not do a one-hit heating with it. The flavor is good for how completely it roasts. I will have to compare more carefully but my impression is that it's as aggressive as the Helix but the vapor's nowhere near as hot; I've never tasted any carbon with it. I'm not really one for DV one-hitters as such but this tip might be my tool of choice I think.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: kairos

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
After several days of using the new helix tip, I have switched back to my vong tip for day to day use. New and different worked for me for a while, but I am finding now that this tip requires too hard a pull to get the hit I want, similar to trying to hit with a fully open air port. It was worth a try, though.

Top Bottom