Can only speak to the two well tuned @Pipes desktop and portable IHs that I own. Find that consistent brown AVB for me is more dependant on a uniform grind, firmness of pack and whether it's a captive or standard cap that I choose. Rarely disappointed with the extraction if I pay attention to this. The yet to be released Sense from Mad Heaters may make this unnecessary. We'll see.
Cheers appreciate it , do you think the standard cap is better to the captive while using IH’s?

Vapormarsh,
Reactions: ataxian

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Cheers appreciate it , do you think the standard cap is better to the captive while using IH’s?
Your experience may differ from mine. IMHO there are many factors including coarseness of grind, moisture level, tightness of pack, Ti or SS tip, draw technique, air flow etc. Experiment.

There is no specific difference between captive and non-captive caps serialized 2020 or newer.
Older caps do not have captive options but if they are serialized for 2019 or earlier, then these caps will have some differences in how the IH heats them.
Have found the air flow of the 2021 captive caps to exceed that of the pre 2019 regular caps. Definitely prefer the older regular caps when extracting with a torch. Use both with the IH.

Last edited:

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Welcome to the forum @Vapormarsh.
After 2-3 heat cycles, blow the herb into your hand and stir it. You will notice the bud in the middle is still green - this is the downside of most IH heaters with the exception of The Fluxer - the outside gets hot quickly but the middle doesn't because it heats up very quickly. The longer heating time with a torch gives the entire bowl time to heat up EVENLY, producing more vapor, bigger clouds, better efficiency and no need to stir.
A looser pack in your bowl will accomplish the same result: too tight a pack inhibits the movement of air THRU the bowl, leaving a green center in an extra-crispy shell. Stirring works, but I just don’t care to do it, and this serves.

Mileage varies, we know…I get my most consistent high-end experience loading my tips with the straw method, being careful not to overload it or to pack it more than it takes to clear the bowl rim & get the cap on. If I don’t let the bowl cool completely, three heats should see a pretty even color in the bowl with my Flux, another three should hit full extraction without combustion. Professional rider closed course, and of course the mileage.

It really is all about the airflow - *especially* with these new versions

Not “at” you, Smokey, it’s the general you :tup:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Grav makes some stunning vaporware.
Of your (many) bubblers, @Ramahs I love your Wide Base best. The heft. The stability.
A handsome piece.

Admittedly, I have found myself liking using that 10mm adapter with this little hand-made banger-hanger that I picked up from an IG glass blower a couple years back. It's a great combination:

IRFPUKm-DQQmv-El-Cw-GB9-BAg-thumb-193a.jpg

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
@ChilledAsian , are you near alibaba? Can you get more info on the unit?

Price has been going up steadily. Started at $30, then $40, $50, $55....

One went on sale on ebay for $129 ($30 for mailing haha). Another for $159 (same seller, “free” shipping).

“Temperature sensing” is the latest rave in mag heaters?

Mowgli2

Has anyone seen this before? Writing printed or stamped inside of the cap? It says EX repeatedly all across the metal on the inside of the cap. Right where the clicking part is.
(not the logo or date or patent number... I’ve seen those on all my caps)
This is a brand new unused cap from a well known online shop. I bought 2, one had the EX and one didn’t, both fit very loose. They are not the captive caps they are the regular.

JJ785

Vong update: My third vong arrived from Vapefiend the other day. The previous two both arrived with non spinning wood straight out the box. This time around they checked to make sure it was spinning freely before despatch, but it arrived stuck again after being in transit for just 24 hrs and atmospheric conditions being quite dry. I used it briefly but still closed rock solid after a few days.

I could put it in the freezer briefly or leave it in a tub of brown rice but I think I prefer just to return it for a refund rather than trying to get it to loosen up. Kinda feel reluctant to accept a product that's so sensitive to humidity, especially living in a country with such a damp climate. Maybe I should just move somewhere drier like Death Valley, northern Africa or the Atacama in Chile ? Hmm, great for stargazing too.:myday:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Vong update: My third vong arrived from Vapefiend the other day. The previous two both arrived with non spinning wood straight out the box. This time around they checked to make sure it was spinning freely before despatch, but it arrived stuck again after being in transit for just 24 hrs and atmospheric conditions being quite dry. I used it briefly but still closed rock solid after a few days.

I could put it in the freezer briefly or leave it in a tub of brown rice but I think I prefer just to return it for a refund rather than trying to get it to loosen up. Kinda feel reluctant to accept a product that's so sensitive to humidity, especially living in a country with such a damp climate. Maybe I should just move somewhere drier like Death Valley, northern Africa or the Atacama in Chile ? Hmm, great for stargazing too.:myday:
Not sure you want to do this, and of course, if you do it, you own it, but what about rolling up a piece of fine sandpaper and try sanding it lightly...? I would think it might be a little loose when it's driest out, but at least it wont stick when it's humid... maybe wax it a bit, too...? Wood is a sponge...

vandalizedbythelotus

Has anyone seen this before? Writing printed or stamped inside of the cap? It says EX repeatedly all across the metal on the inside of the cap. Right where the clicking part is.
(not the logo or date or patent number... I’ve seen those on all my caps)
This is a brand new unused cap from a well known online shop. I bought 2, one had the EX and one didn’t, both fit very loose. They are not the captive caps they are the regular.
notice the 3rd pic.

it's just a regular disk inside but flipped. this side is normally not visible. had this happen as well.
2020 and newer caps are slightly wider.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
notice the 3rd pic.

it's just a regular disk inside but flipped. this side is normally not visible. had this happen as well.
2020 and newer caps are slightly wider.

Nice detective work!

Shorner

Received my v2 orion today and disappointed would be a understatement...
This thing just runs too damn cool the v1 was miles better, if you take it out on 2nd click its like a torch at the top of the cap, even left in for 6-8 flashes after the click the vapour is thin and tastes nasty, really inconsistent too...
I see across the reditt boards im not the only one having problems.

Vaporware

Received my v2 orion today and disappointed would be a understatement...
This thing just runs too damn cool the v1 was miles better, if you take it out on 2nd click its like a torch at the top of the cap, even left in for 6-8 flashes after the click the vapour is thin and tastes nasty, really inconsistent too...
I see across the reditt boards im not the only one having problems.

I think I remember more reports of v1 being too hot, so they may have adjusted their target to keep the hotter running units from being too hot. That would also leave the cooler ones too cool. The vertical position of the coil can make a big difference. That’s one reason I prefer having a heater I can adjust or have adjusted for me.

You should be able to adjust by counting past the click or maybe using a different (older?) cap, but it sucks to have to do that. :disgust:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I got my orion V2 today too. Is there a way to tell a V1 from a V2?
The blue light appeared surprisingly fast, but then I got tired of vaping with the TonG and charged before the red light appeared.
It is too short to tell and it is my first IH, but mine seems to work fine. No need to go hotter or longer after the second click. Sometimes I pulse for a fuller first heat up.
Torching after doesn't give me a visible hit and the ABV is pretty dark brown to almost black, if I want it to, anyway.

One particular load of the TonG made me suddenly cough and the draw felt hot on the tongue and I had small dark bits flying in my mouth.
Seems like the screen did tip over somehow and I inhaled at least half of a VapCap load ABV. Made me hack like crazy for quite a while. Now tell me something about full inhalation/full extraction :lol:

I am happy with my TonG and Orion for now. I keep my fingers crossed so it stays like that.

Cannabiker

I got my orion V2 today too. Is there a way to tell a V1 from a V2?
The blue light appeared surprisingly fast, but then I got tired of vaping with the TonG and charged before the red light appeared.
It is too short to tell and it is my first IH, but mine seems to work fine. No need to go hotter or longer after the second click. Sometimes I pulse for a fuller first heat up.
Torching after doesn't give me a visible hit and the ABV is pretty dark brown to almost black, if I want it to, anyway.

One particular load of the TonG made me suddenly cough and the draw felt hot on the tongue and I had small dark bits flying in my mouth.
Seems like the screen did tip over somehow and I inhaled at least half of a VapCap load ABV. Made me hack like crazy for quite a while. Now tell me something about full inhalation/full extraction :lol:

I am happy with my TonG and Orion for now. I keep my fingers crossed so it stays like that.
What is a TonG? I'm picturing a tool for removing a hot cap.

Cannabiker,
Reactions: Jakuta
Top Bottom