Mono Loco

Not that we should HAVE to, but can a Ti-tip's slightly over-sized flange be easily filed down (or sanded)? I filed notches in a S.S. tip's distal end and it filed quite easily with a cheap needle file. I know titanium is harder, but I've never worked with it. Is the difference between filing Ti and S.S. similar to the difference between Aluminum and S.S.?? Is Ti that much harder and would it require diamond coated files ... or would a standard hardened steel file "cut it"?? Maybe I'd be inclined to rotate the tip's edge on a diamond-coated sharpening stone to slim it down. I wonder how over-size it is ... .10 mm ???

I, too, have been underwhelmed with DynaVap's customer service. My last order arrived incomplete (though I was charged complete) and an email has not received any reply ... as another member here posted, "... crickets". I have been trying to cut them some slack, given the COVID-19 complications ... plus, considering that the employees probably field-test their products and ... well, we all know how that can affect efficiency! I'll give them another week and try again - maybe a phone call next time.

Just made the purchase of the alpine, only $84 shipped. Time will tell if it’s a legit unit but I couldn’t find any other options especially not at that price.

Fucked up part is I haven’t even gotten a shipping notification for the 2020M and I’m already buying shit. I was going to grab a blazer pb207 but I decided the IH was a better option since I have a torch built into my RIO that should do the trick.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
We got a look into the Alpine 2020. It is the same old engine we have come to know and love. I'm hoping the Aesthetics are there. The rest I can deal with without worrying about service.

Mono Loco

I'm looking forward to more reviews of the Alpine 2020 - it's such a handsome chassis. I am more drawn to it than the Apollo II ... with that garish graphic (Lucid's wood was way nicer, IMO) and mixed reviews. Several users (here, Reddit) have been disappointed with the Apollo's performance - not hot enough ... although that might be more of a 20M Cap issue. I understand that ya' can't please all the folks all the time - for some, for example, Pipes's units run too hot and they prefer the slower Apollo. Plus, I'm not sure why those users who aren't getting the heat they want don't experiment more with the "pulse heating" technique (other than the argument that having to "work" contradicts, in their mind, the appeal of the IH. Personally, I don't mind a bit of user-intervention/engagement as it beats the "hissssssss" and cost/inconvenience of butane). In any case, the more feedback, the better.

Hey y'all. I was reading the how-to guide on dynavap website and saw this tip:
DO NOT APPLY HEAT FOR MORE THAN 3 SECONDS PAST THE CLICK! OVERHEATING WILL PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE VAPCAP!
How you can know if your vapcap is damaged ? so if you combust your herbs once, you must buy another cap ?

Last edited:
Hawaiian,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
How you can know if your vapcap is damaged ?

That mostly refers to its ability to click at the right temp.

Edit:

so if you combust your herbs once, you must buy another cap ?

Oh definitely not. I'm sure many of us have combusted and have been going more than 3 seconds past the click. It's just not something you should do on a regular basis.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Nonono! A click is a click. You might change the characteristics of the click with excessive heat.

I've cooked my cap severely and combusted dozens of times. That coal rarely reaches the VC at all. Combustion normally commences in the middle of the load when oxygen fans the flames. When I recognize the tendency and blow out the wad, inevitably the glowing coal is in the middle of the expressed clump.

If you need to go 3 seconds beyond the click, move the torch up [toward digger] more.

StringTheorista

Just made the purchase of the alpine, only $84 shipped. Time will tell if it’s a legit unit but I couldn’t find any other options especially not at that price.
I also just preordered the alpine. I finally gave up on waiting for the in-cup dyna-branded IH. I can almost guarantee it will drop right after my alpine ships, LoL

stark1

Lonesome Planet
We got a look into the Alpine 2020. It is the same old engine we have come to know and love. I'm hoping the Aesthetics are there. The rest I can deal with without worrying about service.

Looks like the Alpine has a basic module inside. Simplicity personified. :rolleyes:

Almost flixed for one. :evil:

stark1,

Dynalowrider

I'm going to quit this shit. I tried to go on Discord and it's dis combob alated. and what is an
Alpine. I am tired of learning crap. I am having enough trouble trying to stay alive with all these covidiots running around without a face mask. The idiot that claims to be the governor of Texas is going to open up the state. Didn't anyone pay attention to the 1918 pandemic. Places had the flu squashed, then they opened too soon and instantly became a hot-spot. The leut governor said the economy was more important than lives, The orange blob wants me to mainline disinfectant then said He was being sarcastic. Here's sarcasm for you he has a very stable mind a horse-stable. Ok I'll quit venting now. Doc

Don't like my post. TS tough situation. I can't possibly keep up with everything. Here is more sarcasm.
"I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities with this rant."

danielj

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
A good DV customer service story...
while back I lmentioned here thatva Hummer torch purchased from DV only functioned at widevopen gas setting. I told DV and they asked for a vid showing performance. A weekmorcso later they notified me that they would snd a replacement...zi asked for the red one. It came yesterday and seems to be eorking ok
Thanks DV

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Looks like the Alpine has a basic module inside. Simplicity personified. :rolleyes:

Almost flixed for one. :evil:

@stark1 - you know you want one. It is a super duper sale for 4:20. And you can't say no to style. It's battery powered. Don't risk regret @stark1 :clap:

And @stark1 - yes, I did order the Ti tip. I do want a sub-10g DV VC. So no excuses!

Last edited:
TommyDee,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Just how many IH does a lost soul need. Def getting a Flix, nice form factor.

The Alpine reminds me of the Borg. & I can just see myself packing one
while on my bike. Have you seen the guts of the Alpine? Bare bones.

stark1,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@stark1 - yes, after my order. definitely don't need to worry about warranty. I know this circuit by heart. Working on improving it as I sit here typing. Did you have something against the Borg?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I'm going to quit this shit. I tried to go on Discord and it's dis combob alated. and what is an
Alpine. I am tired of learning crap. I am having enough trouble trying to stay alive with all these covidiots running around without a face mask. The idiot that claims to be the governor of Texas is going to open up the state. Didn't anyone pay attention to the 1918 pandemic. Places had the flu squashed, then they opened too soon and instantly became a hot-spot. The leut governor said the economy was more important than lives, The orange blob wants me to mainline disinfectant then said He was being sarcastic. Here's sarcasm for you he has a very stable mind a horse-stable. Ok I'll quit venting now. Doc

Don't like my post. TS tough situation. I can't possibly keep up with everything. Here is more sarcasm.
"I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities with this rant."

First of all @Dynalowrider , Texas is a great place to be from. I can speak on such things. 35 years gone from hell!

Alpine 2020 is a brainchild of ToggenGear to back-fill the market with yet another battery powered IH. I couldn't help myself and wanted this style for my table top. It is basically a PSM in a new wrapper. Due to start shipping in June. $99 pre-order is now active. Catch the coupon for signing up to the only retailer selling these. I think $84 is possible. ...and free shipping, no less.

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Good that you will lake one for the team, Ton. :tup:

I saw the insides of the “Borg”, decided I have way too many induction heaters ( a Caldron should
Be hitting the mailbox today/tomorrow ).

Looks attractive, but I don’t see it hanging off my belt loops anytime soon. Borg, or no Borg
I will not be assimilated, despite the Collective

However, hang a Flix in front of me, and I will go many light years after it.

(BTW, if you are resourceful ( no tax ), you can snag a June Borg for $80, shipped )

VapCap, on!

create image url

PS @Dynalowrider, stay Safe. Stay away from the hoss governor’s crowds, speaking from a Massachusetts state of mind. Houston, we have a problem.

Last edited:

thejackalsmark

Just another "Person Of Interest"
“Yes, Seven of Nine, I give in, I’m ready to be assimilated by you”.

download-9.jpg

I'll bet she could vape an ounce of Gorilla Glue, through a 20 M (w captive cap :D) set on the smallest microdose ccd setting... :nod:

And STILL... "Assimilate!" :cool:

THAT was fun. :rofl:

Happy Vaping! :leaf:

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
Does anyone notice a difference in draw resistance when using a DV condenser stem vs a condenserless stem with a wider inner diameter? Does the ID of the air passage have a large effect on restriction?

No @TommyDee 's analysis is is correct. The tip cap interface and the CCD are the limiting factors. My vapcaps are most restricted by the tip/cap. However there are clear differences in how I perceive the vapor from large bore stems vs smaller bore stems. I have a 8mm ID by 110mm long SS stem (no airport). This stem is the most joint like vapor I have experienced. Perhaps thick and rich is a fair description, flavor more nuanced, less focused.

I'm confident I could pick bore sizes reliable in a blind test of say 8mm compared to 4mm, maybe even 6mm. I'm getting curious about this phenomena but have no hypothesis yet.

What we taste or how we taste is affected by the temperature of the substance. For example a sweet drink is much sweeter warm than cold. Could this be what I experience? What could cause this?

I seems unlikely to me that gas compression heating and decompression cooling are responsible. I doubt there is enough flow to achieve any detectable affect. Another possible factor is the velocity of the airstream. All else being equal the velocity through a smaller bore will be higher then through a larger bore. The higher velocity airstream will have more windchill affect. This seems likely to be the dominant cause.

Also worth mentoning I don't consider any of these stems produce "hot"vapor.

What do you use as a general household adhesive? School glue, maybe not, but anything with a bit of hold would work on the magnet. I have ShoeGoo as a goto adhesive and fixer.

I wish you hadn't said that about the titanium tips. Got one in a basket to pull the trigger on. If you measure that flange, it should be no bigger that 8mm OD. 5/16" is likely the target size if not a few thou under.

Is skool glue "white glue" aka PVA? That will work well, the mucilage type not so much. RTV silicone would be suitable as well. As you say just about anything with a bit of stick.

Titanium tip in the basket?! OK. I'm shaken but still believe in Dog.
My SS tips are exactly 7.3 mm for the bit that inserts into the stem.
WTF is going on here, I assume these are CNC'ed.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Nono - they machined a larger flange on the very tip to mate the 5/16" 8mm bore. I think I measure .310" on the flange and the rest where the o-rings sit is recessed.

That's just tips I've looked at for stems. The '20 tip tended to roll the o-rings. Cracked my DD stem. Still viable but needs replacing. Using the glass hybrid stem now. Really getting a new taste for this one.

I was thinking school glue, runny PVA, wouldn't stick well to a nickle plated magnet. Roughing up was suggested and that would help.

Are you the lone holdout then on a Ti tip @Planck ? Yep, got one coming. I'm bored. PM me what VAS and boredom has blinded me to.

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
Ah Okay, my bad, that bit is 7.8mm exactly.

I'm not really a hold out on Ti, just not seeing how it would be of any benefit to me. I await you comments re: Ti , @TommyDee Td on Ti.

Planck,
Reactions: TommyDee
Top Bottom