invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm talking about vape stems not purifying uranium with concentrated nitric acid. Glass would be my first choice for that. Glass is cheap, easy to form into lab apparatus, strong enough and inert to almost everything. Great choice for lots of lab work.

I don't know what "it" you mean when you say "there is way more to it"

Well lab glass condensers are specifically designed for cooling vapors - that's why it makes a great material for vape stems. Most of the spiked stems on the market are just a play on the Vigereux Condenser. Personally I feel that cooling vapors is very different from designing a CPU heat sink that doesn't deal with delicate volatile aromatic compounds at all (I think lab purity is important since our vapes essentially function like a mini lab setup.) Honestly I don't know anything about processing uranium, but I do know that the distillation of cannabinoids is done with glass and that's as close as it gets to what us vaporizer enthusiasts are doing at home.

Why would you want a vaporizer stem that is not inert to almost everything? Metals readily react with vapor and change the composition, resulting in obscured flavor profiles. This is why a dab off a titanium nail will never taste as good as a dab off quartz, despite titanium having far superior thermal properties on paper. This is important since many will claim that titanium itself is "inert," and I know this is the Dynavap thread so I'm walking on quail eggshells here... but the proof is in the pudding.

As far as "it," I'll give a quick and familiar example of why there is more to heating and cooling than thermal conductivity. You'll like this one as its inspired by the great Max Planck himself! Take two cotton t-shirts with identical thermal conductivity, one dyed black, the other white. When standing in direct sunlight, why does one shirt feel hotter than the other, despite identical conductivity?

A: emissivity is important too!

Don't get me wrong, thermal conductivity is useful but also kinda overrated: I remember the first time I tried silicon carbide as a vapor surface, 150x more conductive than my quartz banger on paper. It's not really 150x more efficient or effective in real life though, in fact I still ended up preferring the quartz for its neutral flavor.

Of course the real answer is that vapor hates being cooled, no matter what the surface is.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I feel I may have started all this thermal war stuff but it wasn't about not liking glass. I don't want stems robbing me of vape, period. So glass is also good at not sticking my vape to the walls of my glass stem. Likewise, my wooden stem also does not collect a lot of honey. And between the two, length and bore being equal, they both drew the same amount of warmth when it reached the lips.

Not all heat being drawn in is vape, but all vape is heated. However, it is easy enough to see materials are 'heat resistors'. Torch one end of a rod and see how far the heat travels up the rod in a given period. This is thermal conductivity. Copper will disperse the heat very rapidly where stainless steel will lag significantly, and glass even more. This is one way to localize heat by not letting it spread. Glass does this well also providing isolation zones. I use 'air gap' as my cooling medium. 5 inches of travel through air provides enough cooling for me without additional cooling influences.

Energy-in means energy has to come out. If you keep putting heat in, things will normalize over time. All of this is thermodynamics and all this is can be modeled with high degrees of accuracy. I might even have enough tools at hand to do some simple modeling of this problem. But to what end? No two people seem to be able to agree on the desirable premise as a start of the experiment.

danielj

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Can the 2020M convert to an XL like previous Ms? Its our favorite setup. I wish George would offer an M XL.

the 20m will convert to xl and mp like any other M

the issue is asthetics A regvmp will work but not look like a good match fiameter wise

When I get my M in Ivwill hopefully design a mp that looks goods
course way more important stuff to do these days
but doing the stuff that makes you feel good is important too

be safe

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Can the 2020M convert to an XL like previous Ms? Its our favorite setup. I wish George would offer an M XL.

It should.

7124032-D-2-F2-D-45-F3-9621-453831-CAB7-C0.jpg

Last edited:

Choices

So I have a question or two for Dvap folks: I have a Portside Mini and two 2019 M models and one 2018 M. Am I really missing much not getting the more expensive models? Also is the 2020 really a step up as in getting more like the pricier ones? The ones I have also work well with my torch lighter but I rarely use it since I mostly vape at home. The appeal of the M has always been the value it offers so I’m trying to be prudent in my purchase, knowing this is something that could be with me for quite a long time compared to some other devices. Thanks ahead of time!

mucsusn

60 going on 20
80 degrees in the nations capital today... my SO is a teacher, and they gave them a 30 minute window today to get anything they might not have gotten when they closed 8 days ago. So we ventured out, being very careful, drove through downtown to see the cherry blossoms. Then a last stop at a little park just across from the north end of the main runway at DCA. Winds were 15 gusting to 30, so on final the pilot had to make a right turn on final that took them from a quartering tailwind to a strong crosswind. That was entertainment!

Sitting on the deck tonight enjoying my 20M. I was fortunate to receive an early one, and you folks are really going to enjoy the upgrade, or if you are new to Dynavap, you’re in for a treat! Big Bang for the buck!

So what’s everyone’s opinion on the 2020 M? I have a few vapes and am looking at this one finally and am very curious of the new design. With the chance to scoop it for $60 or $115 for the kit I’m pretty interested. Is anyone partial to the hydravong? I like the look of the wood but I don’t know if it’s as functional cooling wise as the metal. Hydravong XLS or M 2020 if you could choose?

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I think that this new M is a great, economical way to see if DV's fit into your vaping paradigm. If you dig it, then start playing grown-up stoner lego. If you don't, not a huge loss. My bet is you'll like it if you figure it out...

I agree.

A 20M for $60 is very tempting. If I were trying a dynavap for the first time, it would be a very good deal. I'm sure there are many that like their M's and have stuck with it as their daily driver. It is a great choice for that. But many that start out with an M, decide they love the vapcap experience and then start trying out different versions. VAS is a terrible disorder and it strikes at the heart of many a vape junky. I have collected my share over the years, but a new M would be worth keeping. You probably wouldn't sell it for another. You might keep it as a back-up, camping vape, or just to mix it up every now and then.

I have a gong version that came out before the hydra and I do use it at times. You never know what style you will end up liking. The hydravong might be something you work your way into if you like the experience. But then maybe your next piece might be a vortex, or a PP stem or a glass charlie. All great stuff.

Oh, and I didn't want to leave out the diehards here that will buy the new M every year, just to have one. Almost like when you made sure you got the new Hess truck each christmas. ;)

Last edited:

mucsusn

60 going on 20
I agree.

A 20M for $60 is very tempting. If I were trying a dynavap for the first time, it would be a very good deal. I'm sure there are many that like their M's and have stuck with it as their daily driver. It is a great choice for that. But many that start out with an M, decide they love the vapcap experience and then start trying out different versions. VAS is a terrible disorder and it strikes at the heart of many a vape junky. I have collected my share over the years, but a new M would be worth keeping. You probably wouldn't sell it for another. You might keep it as a back-up, camping vape, or just to mix it up every now and then.

I have a gong version that came out before the hydra and I do use it at times. You never know what style you will end up liking. The hydravong might be something you work your way into if you like the experience. But then maybe your next piece might be a vortex, or a PP stem or a glass charlie. All great stuff.

Oh, and I didn't want to leave out the diehards here that will buy the new M every year, just to have one. Almost like when you made sure you got the new Hess truck each christmas. ;)
Yeah, that’s me...

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Remember that DynaVap recommends converting an M to XL by turning the stem so the MP is near the VC. That would solve that awkward interruption.

Well as much as I love and highly recommend the 2020 M, we have just found its shortcoming. I had been thinking about this before but had not tried it until now and my suspicions were confirmed. When you flip the stem and put the tip on the MP end it is a bit loose and rocks back and forth due to the cut out for the x ring. @stark1 and others that have 2020 M's would you confirm this?

Top Bottom