TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
1. What are the secrets to extracting a tip in three or less heat cycles? I never seem to be done in less than five. Or is it a matter of how far along you prefer your ABV/DCB.

2. Airport/Carb closed seems to produce thicker/cloudier vapor. Although the BB9 produces more vapor with the carb fully open than the ss M stem does.

I'm running an 2019 M, BB9 and custom condenserless wood stems. :spliff:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Sorry it is not subjective it is physics.

Well... It is subjective because there is more than one form of heat transfer. With a name like Planck you should be very well aware of that!

Glass stems have many great properties.
Science tells us cooling is not one of them.
Is this contrary to commonly beliefs? I think so.

Then you might want to walk into a science lab and study all the various glass condenser designs from the last couple hundred years, specifically designed for cooling. Think about why they are made out of glass in the first place and you will see there is way more to it than the thermal conductivity ;)

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thanks for spelling all that out @Planck . That settles silver as that would just paste all the vape on its walls. This discussion sure has unlocked a few ways of looking at things.

1. What are the secrets to extracting a tip in three or less heat cycles? I never seem to be done in less than five. Or is it a matter of how far along you prefer your ABV/DCB.

2. Airport/Carb closed seems to produce thicker/cloudier vapor. Although the BB9 produces more vapor with the carb fully open than the ss M stem does.

I'm running an 2019 M, BB9 and custom condenserless wood stems. :spliff:

1) Continued heating during the draw :rockon: I've cut the number of heatings to 1 or 2 and getting FULL extraction.

2) Probably what @Planck was talking about. The M holds the vape as honey and BB9 delivers it.

Also let this long time bitch'r about draw flow rate reiterate - convex your CCD - WOW :rockon: I don't say this lightly!

49673242627_3449619898_b.jpg

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Could anyone give me some advice for the spinning mouthpiece I received today?

I ordered a XL condenser kit with a wooden mouthpiece and a titanium spinning mouthpiece to use it with a custom stem, but I'm not able to put the ti mouthpiece on the condenser, much too tight of a fit (wooden mp works without issues). I'm able to put the ti mouthpiece on the tapered end of the condenser, but that makes no sense and is still very tightly sitting.

Am I missing something? Did I order the wrong combo?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Glass stems have many great properties.
Science tells us cooling is not one of them.
Is this contrary to commonly beliefs? I think so.
Maybe that is because in the real world a glass stem DOES cool the vapor, even if it does so less than other materials might. I don't have a spiky stem for my Dynavap tips, but I DO have a US custom XL8R for my SplinterZs. It makes it possible for me to use those devices without water when otherwise the vapor is too hot. And the stem gets quite warm, sometimes even hot if I use it enough. That heat has to be coming from somewhere, and that obviously is from the vapor traveling through it. And if the stem is getting hot the vapor must be cooling, which is also clear by my ability to consume it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
That is hard to say. I don't have any metal stems I use with the RBT vapes. And the metal that collects goods on my DV stuff are all just condensers. I have no condenserless stems for my DV stuff that are not glass.
I find I can go a pretty long time without cleaning the condenser on my VapCaps, but it will eventually reduce airflow enough to require cleaning. Sadly that is mostly wasted in ISO for me. My glass stems, however, are destined to be stir sticks for some hot chocolate soon.

danielj

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@Siebter i have a couple of condensers with the same problem. I ended up reaming out my @danielj MP to fit but you cant do that with Ti. You are not doing anything wrong.

you can do this also with a wood mouthpiece
dont know why they are having issues with out of round at the mp end..perhaps it is the crimping tool having too much pressure

I have a waonky condenser...DV sent meca replacement that was good. then a couple days later, I got another one from DV; they accident,y doubled shipped. I was going to notify them about the extra condenser, but it was wonky as well...so I kept it do it would be out of circulation

I may try pliers or something to squeeze them back to round dont know it ti squeezes, or cracks

stay safe all..we are into bad times

TommyDee

Vaporitor
It was indeed a tooling issue. Probably the chuck when they cut the x-ring grooves. But it seems to be persistent and pervasive. Me? I'd find the high spot and work it with a diamond file or a Dremel cutoff wheel to do some careful reduction. Graphite [pencil lead] is a decent medium to locate the high spot but a Sharpie will do just as well.
I suggested peening in that is a way to try to get back in round, but it is a delicate process. If you have a diamond file, it will make short work of the issue.

danielj

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
It was indeed a tooling issue. Probably the chuck when they cut the x-ring grooves. But it seems to be persistent and pervasive. Me? I'd find the high spot and work it with a diamond file or a Dremel cutoff wheel to do some careful reduction. Graphite [pencil lead] is a decent medium to locate the high spot but a Sharpie will do just as well.
I suggested peening in that is a way to try to get back in round, but it is a delicate process. If you have a diamond file, it will make short work of the issue.

thanks @TommyDee diamond file will be my tool of choice

I bet it is indeed the x ring grooves that are the culprit

I am assuming that the grooves are pressed, not cut

I tried cuting x grooves on my taig lathe...weakened the tubing

Ivactually looked into having a tube press made...many hundreds of dollars

Tom you obviously know your way around machinary what lathe are you running?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I'm running an Emco Unimat 3 mini-lathe. Never though they'd just press that but I can see it being viable. The high spot has a dent next to it so I figured it was a fixture of some kind. The error is very subtle.

HappyFunTime

I got an Apollo2 induction heater from DynaVap.
Super solid. I have been using it with this 20k mAh battery pack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4SPXTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sCTCEb941PZ3F

The supplied cables adapt to connect to the IH. It has a real-time power display and it easily supplies 78W (12V at 6.5A) during heating. The IH heats exactly like the supplied power brick.

At 20k mAh it can power 250 bowls (750 clicks)! At $90 it’s pricey but provides a portable solution when combined with the DynaVap IH.

danielj

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I'm running an Emco Unimat 3 mini-lathe. Never though they'd just press that but I can see it being viable. The high spot has a dent next to it so I figured it was a fixture of some kind. The error is very subtle.

the unimats are nice little machines that have a long history. I was looking at them for some time on ebay...prices were all over the place, but some very cool machines. I ended up with a Taig, which I like mostly except for the tailstock Ill pm u a couple pics, u do also!

It would be fun to see the actual setup that DV uses for its condensers! I imagine some alien ish machine that spits them out at a good clip.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I imagine some greasy old slide-hammer-steampunk-sledge with some guy just jacking the handle back and forth and condenser tubes pop out the other end. And when they stop popping out the other end, they go and make something else.

BTW; The Unimat 3 is seriously under powered. But it is fun when you got a few of its options.

Planck

believes in Dog
Well... It is subjective because there is more than one form of heat transfer. With a name like Planck you should be very well aware of that!

No need to scold me Mum. :lol:

I am very well aware that there is more than one form of heat transfer. I am also aware that at an atomic scale the mechanism of heat transfer is completely different in metals and non metals.

Thermal conductivity doesn't care. It is a measure of how a material responds to heat energy regardless of source or type.

Sorry man, thermal conductivity is not subjective.

Then you might want to walk into a science lab and study all the various glass condenser designs from the last couple hundred years, specifically designed for cooling. Think about why they are made out of glass in the first place and you will see there is way more to it than the thermal conductivity ;)

I'm talking about vape stems not purifying uranium with concentrated nitric acid. Glass would be my first choice for that. Glass is cheap, easy to form into lab apparatus, strong enough and inert to almost everything. Great choice for lots of lab work.

I don't know what "it" you mean when you say "there is way more to it"

That settles silver as that would just paste all the vape on its walls.

Yeah probably a reclaim monster.

Maybe that is because in the real world a glass stem DOES cool the vapor, even if it does so less than other materials might.

Perhaps still I have the impression many believe that glass stems have cooling ability greater than anything else.

-----------
Glass stem lovers; I am not at all saying glass stems are crap. Just reasonable crap at cooling. :nod:

Top Bottom