PeteSeattle

Do you think a 4th hole would ruin the air flow? I'd guess so, otherwise you probably would have made it with 4 :p. But I was thinking if you put another hole that's offset to match that first one, it might look like an intentional crescent moon design? Just a thought! I think it looks cool either way.

Love that Iroka wood.. Hearing you shaped it by hand with files, and seeing that it turned out so good, makes me want to try making one too. Then there's your Ti colouring updates too.. Great work! :clap::tup:

Interesting. @stardustsailor im going to have to try that ...

Mouth pull, yes. Unless you rip it through water pieces :smug:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I've had this Ti Woody for 4 months now and just recently started mouthpulling with it. IDK why I didn't do it sooner. Lung pulls are what I've been programmed for my entire life, and that's why I thought the vapor was harsh. Straight lungpulling on the VC w/ the carb covered most of the time was filling the lungs past the threshold before I realized it, making me cough really hard sometimes. But mouthpulls using the same carb technique allow me thick hits w/ minimal or no coughing.. I'm not sure why this is, but it really does make a difference in the satisfaction I get from using this vape. The more time that goes by the more I just love this thing as I perfect the technique.
I also find that hand-grinding the bud is a great medium between using whole bud (great taste, thinner clouds) and finely ground nugs (thick clouds, less emphasized taste). When I hand grind, pack tight, and use mouthpulls, I seem get it all - superb taste, good clouds, very little harshness.

+ 1. Mouthpulls FTW. I like your whole method, except one part. I usually use a 2pc grinder and can get a coarser grind that seems to work better for VCs (& MVT, too). Just put it in there and give a couple quick turns. Less twists for coarser, more for finer. Also, less finger skin (or whatever happens to be on them) in your load, and more resin/kief!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
So whats the difference between the the gen4 and 5 tips..
Do I need a gen5???

Why less fins.. is this cost saving???
It seems like it's cost saving as it would reduce the machining time per cycle. IMO the 7 fin Gen 4 is much much more attractive than the 5 fin Gen 5. It makes me glad that I still have two brand new Gen 4 tips as they look much more refined and might never be sold again with 7 fins.

It feels like the Gen 5 tip has some identity issues as there's very few visual cues as to whether it's Ti or SS. I find myself mistaking the Gen 5 for the SS M tips. IMO the change has caused a lack of identity within the Dynavap lineup and makes the Gen 5 Ti tip feel less "special" or "refined".

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Today was clean up day amongst other things, so took a few pics of things that were out for waxing up. My Leapordwood DS. Really love it, but haven't been using it too much except at home for a parking spot. Think she'll see a little more duty with warmer weather. This thing loves to hang out in a cargo pocket!

Jxdv2iH.jpg

fhk3uTm.jpg

kellya86

Herb gardener...
It seems like it's cost saving as it would reduce the machining time per cycle. IMO the 7 fin Gen 4 is much much more attractive than the 5 fin Gen 5. It makes me glad that I still have two brand new Gen 4 tips as they look much more refined and might never be sold again with 7 fins.

It feels like the Gen 5 tip has some identity issues as there's very few visual cues as to whether it's Ti or SS. I find myself mistaking the Gen 5 for the SS M tips. IMO the change has caused a lack of identity within the Dynavap lineup and makes the Gen 5 Ti tip feel less "special" or "refined".

Thanks...
Brillant, glad I have a new gen4.....
My gen2 is my daily....

I agree the fewer fins takes away from the aesthetics.. and I want my ti tip to stand out from an ss m..

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Do you think a 4th hole would ruin the air flow? I'd guess so, otherwise you probably would have made it with 4 :p. But I was thinking if you put another hole that's offset to match that first one, it might look like an intentional crescent moon design? Just a thought! I think it looks cool either way.

Love that Iroka wood.. Hearing you shaped it by hand with files, and seeing that it turned out so good, makes me want to try making one too. Then there's your Ti colouring updates too.. Great work! :clap::tup:

I'm pretty sure that 3x 1,5 mm Dia. carb holes are enough.
Cheers.

PeteSeattle

I'm pretty sure that 3x 1,5 mm Dia. carb holes are enough.
Cheers.

I thought about adding several more carbs but tiny ones to create a turbine ... of course I forgot to do it. With some advice from @phattpiggie I have not put any carbs in for some of my pieces and it works just fine but maybe a tighter draw.

Just back from the bench. Practicing in clear before I commit to color for shaped body (yes, @SloJimFizz ... the end is a gong). The second pic is one of my clear gongs for stock.

IMG_9073.jpg

IMG_9072.jpg

The other day I used jade (on the left) and today out of the kiln is mint and a short cobalt body (sorry, the pic seems over saturated. Took it in dim light.

IMG_0581.jpg

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
I thought about adding several more carbs but tiny ones to create a turbine ...

The original carb hole on the DV stems/bodies has a diameter of 2 mm.
So ,the actual surface of the hole is π x R^2 => 3,14 * 1^2 mm = ~ 3,14 mm^2.

Now ,if the diameter is reduced to 1mm (half of the standard ) then the inlet area of that
carb hole is 3,14 * 0,5^2 mm = ~ 0,8 mm^2 .

That means that we need to drill : 3,14/0,8 = ~ 4 (four ) such carb holes (of 1 mm diameter ),in
order to have the same air inlet area as one ( of 2mm diameter ) standard carb hole has .

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Another chillum style glass piece that works pretty well, no carb. This one is silver fume over amber tubing, with clear dots and stripes on the surface :D made by my man. I used a bit of silicone tube to make the M cap fit. I also put a glass shield around my heat coil mod. Its still a work in progress, but I'm getting plenty of use out of it so far.

8n2Xs1Z.jpg

Last edited:

sunliight

Hey, I got my first VapCap, the M, and I'm struggling. I almost always combust on my second heating cycle, even when I wait for the cool down click. I once checked the herb after first pull, it was still looking fresh and green, but it still combusted on the second heat up. I watched some videos how to heat the VapCap correctly, because thats where I must be doing something wrong. Sometimes I heat it for like 10 seconds, in the middle area of the cap, nothing happends, no click. Thats when I know its too late and the herb is combusted.
Ordered some torch lighter from china, since the bundled pocket sized one is pretty bad quality and smells pretty bad when heated. I hope it will help with my problem, meanwhile I'll stick with my FF2.

Prolusio

Sometimes I heat it for like 10 seconds, in the middle area of the cap, nothing happends, no click. Thats when I know its too late and the herb is combusted.

I noticed sometimes I will not hear a click if I heat the cap too fast; seems the clickers click so quickly they're almost inaudible. What kind of torch are you using, like how many flames does it have? I would say try turning the jets down as low as they'll go and still reliably light if you haven't already, that might help!

since the bundled pocket sized one is pretty bad quality and smells pretty bad when heated.

I've been using the 3 flame torch from Dynavap since I received my cap; I did not notice any weird smell. Could it be the butane inside? The only problem I had with the lighter from Dynavap was the sparker was not close enough to the gas vent to light the flame reliably. I just had to bend it a little so the spark arced in the right place and it's been working great ever since! But I can't remember if the lighter came with butane or not, if it did I would have emptied it and used my own so maybe that's why I didn't notice any smell. What made you feel the lighter isn't good quality, mostly that unhealthy smell?

sunliight

I noticed sometimes I will not hear a click if I heat the cap too fast; seems the clickers click so quickly they're almost inaudible. What kind of torch are you using, like how many flames does it have? I would say try turning the jets down as low as they'll go and still reliably light if you haven't already, that might help!

So I should heat it even furher from the edge?

I've been using the 3 flame torch from Dynavap since I received my cap; I did not notice any weird smell. Could it be the butane inside? The only problem I had with the lighter from Dynavap was the sparker was not close enough to the gas vent to light the flame reliably. I just had to bend it a little so the spark arced in the right place and it's been working great ever since! But I can't remember if the lighter came with butane or not, if it did I would have emptied it and used my own so maybe that's why I didn't notice any smell. What made you feel the lighter isn't good quality, mostly that unhealthy smell?

Its a single flame lighter, it looks exactly like a cheap pocket cig lighter you'd get in tobacco shop, except the flame is blue. I really can't adjust the flame much, because it wouldn't ignite. On max the flame is very short. I'd get the Dynavap torch but I'm from EU, couldn't find any. This one is on my way, a cheap Honest torch.
http://www.dx.com/p/honest-windproo...ch-lighter-transparent-purple-red-grey-165541

If anyone knows a good multi flame torch lighter from DX or Aliexpress, i'll get it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prolusio

@sunliight you said you watched some videos on how to heat the cap? Was it this video by Dynavap? If you follow the technique in this video you should have good results no matter what kind of torch/heat source you're using! The closer to the tip you heat the cooler your herb will be when the cap clicks. Maybe try experimenting with how much herb you're loading as well? The Vapcap does not need to be totally packed to work effectively.

Ricardo

@Sunlight - It's often hit and miss at the beginning. You'll definitely get better results with a multi-flame torch lighter - I'm very happy with the Vertigo 3-in-line that I got from DynaVap. Don't give up and respect the click.
NOTE to @Squiby de-gummed hemp filter users: if you somehow manage to combust (like my mate did last week with my Omni) you will definitely need to swap out the black-charred filter - yuck! New rule - OmniVap for me... M for visitors :tup:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I use a jet torch pretty much all the time, but played with a typical "Bic" type cig lighter when I first started with VCs to see how it would do. Not too well, but possible to get vapor IME. And, not too sure how I would have done with it if I didn't have a little experience with the jet torch.

Have you tried using a candle? I've done this a few times and like it much better than a "flame" (rather than jet) lighter.

.... New rule - OmniVap for me... M for visitors :tup:

Same for me!! And, I switch to my oldest "darkest", cap for them, too. Even if someone else is fortunate enough to use my OMNI, I do the heating!

sunliight

Alright I packed a new bowl, heard the click clearly this time. Cloud was nothing special but the taste was good. On the second hit the lighter started to give up, the flame slowly changed its colour from blue to yellow, it took more time to heat the cap than the first time. Awful experience. Such a potential and I can't use it, because I'm stuck with this rubbish lighter (yes, bic type). I'll throw it out of window before it tries to burn me.

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
That quad lighter in the vid looks like it can dial down a lot lower than all the triples I've had.
The triple torch from Dynavap isn't a bad lighter, it just has a massive heat flame even at its lowest setting, roars like a jet plane and has a fairly loud click to get it going. On the four I had, 3 passed out to friends, the lowest setting where it would come on consistantly, it was still putting out a solid 3/4 - 1 inch of the dark blue, x 3. To not combust with that lighter, I pretty much have hold the cap a good 1 1/2 - 2 inches above where the dark blue flame ends, three inches or farther from the flip top of the lighter and shoot for at least 10 seconds before the click. If I try and rush the click I either combust or I get one of those weak first hits cause the cap was ready before the goods.

I've been loving a single flame torch because it is quite a bit more precise. Both of mine were able to set with right about a 1/2 inch of dark blue at the minimum. I can put the cap just past dark blue, about 1 inch total from the top and spin with the flame hitting the cap where I want. Way easier to be more consistent with my cap lighting, especially in lighting where you can barely see the flame, windy conditions, or trying to be stealthy like nothings happening over here.
It does take quite abit longer to get to the click, 13-18 seconds or more and combusting is still in play if one is hasty. I've accepted that and am good with it, bad things only happen if I rush to click.

@CharmCityVapeGuy I'm loving this heater man. Thanks alot to @Pipes for making it happen way easier peaceful sessions plus battery life is lasting me 3 day or more I'd say heavy vaping 3000mah chocolate batteries. @sunliight I'd say hit my man up this vaporizer will give you completely different experience not saying u shouldn't also have one those single flame Flint lighter from eBay shout out to @stardustsailor for few tips on anodizing have few pictures to post up later for yall

Ricardo

Such a potential and I can't use it, because I'm stuck with this rubbish lighter (yes, bic type). I'll throw it out of window before it tries to burn me.
Way to go :rockon: Give your VapCap a good cleaning and put it aside until you get a decent lighter. Then give it a good few dry runs to get familiar with the click. I'd also suggest trying some other herbs - chamomile, mint etc. just for the hell of it but also to get rid of any lingering burnt smells. Also, you can practice your technique without wasting precious weed. Then it's just a question of "practice makes perfect" although I think everbody ends up with a slightly different method - it's like love...you'll recognize it when it happens :smug:

Last edited:

Squiby

Hey, I got my first VapCap, the M, and I'm struggling. I almost always combust on my second heating cycle, even when I wait for the cool down click.

Below is a link to some Vapcap tips.

It seems to me that you are overheating your herb. This can happen in a number of ways. Your herb may be overly dry and there more sensitive to the amount of heat you are applying. If you are heating the bottom of the cap each cycle you may need to apply heat higher up on the cap to achieve lowers temps. A high flame or engulfing the Vapcap in a flame may be too intense.

Back off, lower your flame. Heat higher on the cap.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-434#post-1080394

Top Bottom