coolbreeze

Yes, sir. Unfortunately most of Ed's stems won't really fit an Omni off the line, but I bet he could make sure it fits if you request that. This one stem did, and it looks like a....hundred bucks! (to be clear, I am not dissing Ed's stem which is obviously beautiful, just the "nice try" level gold anodization combined with the reddish wood...Don't know why but it has me feelin' velvet, leather, and heart-shaped waterbeds. )

Love my early Woody which has a blackwood body by Ed and a wood MP. The only downside is it's not an XL and I have gotten used to longer VapCaps. I still use the older tip on it for nostalgia's sake...
blackwood-vc.jpg
That is so gorgeous. Roast one on our behalf!

May as well slip this in here:
IMG-0744.jpg

Last edited:

BallzMcVinegar

I think this is very interesting. Ever since George's TeaTime explaining the 3 lots of metal purchased for caps, I've been curious as to what happened in recent years.

George said there was an original batch... a second batch in early '18 from a different supplier, and a 3rd batch from the OG supplier.
Early caps were nice and hot. Reading a 5-6 gain ratio on older caps was quite normal. Combustion from these caps too was a convection issue as it always lit a coal in the middle of the load.

My first dud was a 2020 cap. A gain ratio of 2.75:1 wasn't cutting it. Combined with the airy tip, it made for my first suck experience with my Dynavap. It was sold soon thereafter.

Here comes early '22 and new materials arrived. I didn't give my 419 caps and a standard cap any attention since ordering them at the 419 sale. But when George mentioned that these were from the OG supplier, my ears perked up.

I finally did the gain ratio test. For those who have only heard the term, this is how the cap interacts with the induction heater. An induction heater that draws 1 amp when idle (no cap) and draws 2.75 amps with the cap is a cap that has a gain ratio of 2.75:1, for instance.

Moving forward, and how this relates to Simrell's FMJ sleeve, and @Demonic chronic 's observations are based on older hotter caps as are mine with some early testing with 'sleeves'. Turns out that the recent 419 caps and the standard cap from the shop all came in at a whopping GR of 5.3:1! These caps are the caps of yesteryear. Full extraction in 2 draws, no problem.

This is what I was all on about over the past year or so. George made the point very well at TeaTime. I don't know that he got it but he finally understood that the metal's reaction to induction heaters varies. Well, they should vary a little but not as much as in recent years. From sheet to sheet, there is a difference. Hopefully they are closer to the same thing from cap to cap and sheet to sheet this time.

I'm still all in favor of binning the caps. Not tossing them, but binning them to performance levels. George doesn't seem to have caught onto the fact that when it reacts differently in the IH, it also tends to hold heat better with a torch. There is a huge difference in performance when you see the various gain ratios and how they perform.

Are we going to see wild variation with this lot of material? I don't know. But I am more than happy with my 419 purchase as these are the caps I've sought for some time now.
Oh man this is great news. I happened to buy a 419 cap too. Ive been sad seeing my first cap(2018) slowly taking longer to click and losing reliability. I hated my 2020 cap and thought these were the direction we were stuck with going forward. Now I just hope that they dont mix the older batch with the new. I think im going to wait a few months in hopes they sell off those 2nd batches before buying a few. I dont want to risk getting stuck with a handful of those 2nd batches.

GoldenBud

I use my edstnt stem without a metalic mouthpiece, i spin it super fast because it feels almost weight-less, so easy to spin...*using some band on it as it can tapers 14mm WPA
although these stems of yours really beautiful! the cocobolo is my favorite.. but first time I'm seeing that stem not in the shop @coolbreeze

Anybody likes to tamp down the herb load in the tip? it feels like it is hitting harder than without tamping...

Last edited:

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
:spliff: Anybody likes to tamp down the herb load in the tip? it feels like it is hitting harder than without tamping...

I've been know to enjoy a well tamped bowl. :spliff:
Does it hit harder....? I feel like it gives a hard hitting smoother, den$er toke, which is perfect for me. I'm a mostly a mouthpuller though. :smug:

But i also get hard hitting tokes from a straw pack too, airport wide open with a hard/fast draw. A harsh hit for sure and i tend to use a water piece.

With a tamped bowl, I'll tend to heat less aggressively when compared to a similar sized untamped straw pack.

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I consider myself a pretty professional vapor at this point, yet I have hardly ever been able to get a great hit from a VapCap with a fully open air port, something that George the creator and many users swear by.

This is from a few pages back, but I still like to reply to that.

Hitting a DV with an open air port feels super counterintuitive when you're used to keep it closed or manipulate it in some way, but it is actually pretty easy and the results surprise me every time. Usually when we start hitting, a DV gives us instant vapor that we can taste, with an open air port you need a bit more patience when it comes to that. Doesn't really matter how hot you torch or induct your cap, the main thing is to keep hitting it *pretty hard* until it clicks. It takes a quite a while until you feel and taste the vapor (depending on the temps 5 to 10 seconds I guess), but believe me, that technique can create huge clouds. Should work fine with a rig too. It's a lot of fun because it's very different. Good luck!

coolbreeze

Hitting a DV with an open air port feels super counterintuitive when you're used to keep it closed or manipulate it in some way, but it is actually pretty easy and the results surprise me every time. Usually when we start hitting, a DV gives us instant vapor that we can taste, with an open air port you need a bit more patience when it comes to that. Doesn't really matter how hot you torch or induct your cap, the main thing is to keep hitting it *pretty hard* until it clicks. It takes a quite a while until you feel and taste the vapor (depending on the temps 5 to 10 seconds I guess), but believe me, that technique can create huge clouds. Should work fine with a rig too. It's a lot of fun because it's very different. Good luck!
Yeah! Like hitting a big fattie hard. I do this with my Omni wide-open and it blasts.

Cannabiker

I agree--it works great, and it's counterintuitive. What finally trained me was getting a Revolve. With all the airflow control I went from very restricted to very open, discovering how the open-carb technique works along the way. Now I'm back to my Simrell, and the technique carries across well. I find that it works best if I start out with the carb covered for just a moment to get the thick vapor flowing, then open it up and pull really hard. I get big, well-conditioned hits that way.

Last edited:

BallzMcVinegar

I agree--it works great, and it's counterintuitive. What finally trained me was getting a Revolve. With all the airflow control I went from very restricted to very open, discovering how the open-carb technique works along the way. Now I'm back to my Simrell, and the technique carries across well. I find that it works best if I start out with the carb covered for just a moment to get the thick vapor flowing, then open it up and pull really hard. I get big, well-conditioned hits that way.
Ive had a similar result. I feel that brief moment of having it covered creates a vacuum that gives a steady flow of vapor. otherwise it feels like outside air dominates the vapor more. YMMV

duanecobain

grabbed a couple TRWW intercoolers. was skeptical they were making much of a difference at first but after a few bowls i'm sold. it's not earth-shattering but it does cool the hit pretty significantly for such a simple little thing. stoner ingenuity at its finest lol. FMJ should be arriving tomorrow, eager to pair that with the TRWW.

hinglemccringleberry

"I consider myself a pretty professional vapor at this point, yet I have hardly ever been able to get a great hit from a VapCap with a fully open air port, something that George the creator and many users swear by."
--
I do this all the time. Todays session was a doozie, took a bigger hit than I was expecting and got choked out by the huge dense cloud.
So many questions...is your bud ground and dehydrated? Whats your heat source? What's your technique for working the airport? Are you plugging it too long or not long enough during your hit? Are you doing any mouth pulls? What's your load size? Whats the ambient temperature where you're vaping? Do you heat a bit past the click? Do you vary your technique and heating strategy based on ambient temperature?

Last edited:

My_50p_worth

Visited this thread for the first time in a few days and what a ride it was to catch up :rofl:

Sad to see DC has gone, though. I quite liked the guy - despite the fiery temper that Scots are well known for

Seems that the FMJ hasn’t been quite the smash hit I thought it’d be. I wonder how much of that is technique needing to be developed and the right setup found. I suppose time will tell

Ah well, if @TommyDee is right about the “new new caps” then the FMJ may not be so important now. Especially with IH.

I’m glad George is paying more attention to this, maybe he’s finally “getting it” and turning the DV ship back around.

Amazing what a bit of healthy competition can do - I feel like with time “coppergate” will be seen as a good thing for all involved. Anvil, FMJ, and the OG caps coming back. Can’t complain with that

Last edited:

coolbreeze

I wonder how much of that is technique needing to be developed and the right setup found. I suppose time will tell
I think it's this, and adjusting expectations. It works really well if what you want is to fill your bong with a big damn hoot. You can get a one-heat clearing and the coffee grounds color with every tip I bet, but you'd have to adjust to do it. 2 cents ; )

Edit: Oh! Not to mention no need to spin--that's going to be a life-saver for a lot of people.

Edit again:
tumblr_oqzj84qpy21t2evpro1_400.gif

Last edited:

GoldenBud

i get decent hits with the air carb opened, just heating at the lowest part of the cap.... the highest temp, so the cold air enters the chamber will not reduce the temperature to a point that there'll be no vapor....

Farid

I get good hits with both an open and closed carb. But if I'm hitting an open carb, I need to inhale direct to lung if i want to get all the vapor in one inhale. A closed carb allows me to get a solid mouth to lung hit, which is what I prefer.

That's one place the Dynavap really shines, I've not had luck getting MTL hits with other vapes. This distinction is made clear in the ecig community, but it's not often discussed with dry herb vapes.

hinglemccringleberry

My thickest hits have always come from beginning the hit doing mouth pulls with the airport closed, then feathering it for a few seconds, then finishing the hit with the airport open and a lung pull.
The vapor is never as thick when plugging the hole the whole time or leaving it open the whole time.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
My thickest hits have always come from beginning the hit doing mouth pulls with the airport closed, then feathering it for a few seconds, then finishing the hit with the airport open and a lung pull.
The vapor is never as thick when plugging the hole the whole time or leaving it open the whole time.
This is pretty much the method I use hitting a VC and it has always worked well for me. It is only hitting with a fully open air port from start to finish that I don't find satisfactory. Unless I am using it on glass where the air port is always closed.

duanecobain

FMJ arrived, it's great. i've dedicated a cap to it permanently and it's now my go-to for hitting through my matrix bubbler. props to austyn for making a simple, effective and inexpensive upgrade.

i run it with a ti tip and an m21 tip, both w/ddave mesh screens. half bowl converter in the ti tip. on an xl ti body w/spinning mouthpiece and TRWW e-XL intercooler. i can remove the hot cap easily w/some test tube tongs i got from a previous ddave order. really nice combo of 3rd party upgrades while still looking mostly "stock" DV.

props to all the makers, we all benefit from their ideas and work.

Not Invented Here

I just got a couple FMJs for me and my friend, we tried them out today and I like it. I didn't normally use torches but using the copper cocksleeve makes the torch more rewarding and less of a hassle, so I think I'll use my dynavap with a torch more (as George intended) now that I have an armored cap. I like not spinning the cap, I like how it seems to bias the heating more toward convection (which is a lil different for a vapcap in my experience), I like the single heat cycle extractions, I found a sweet spot distance to put my torch and it's simple as gravy. I like how it's not over priced, $10 seems like a good bang for your buck. It really stays hot a lot longer though, so it's like extra spicy on the digits.

Smokey McVape

This is pretty much the method I use hitting a VC and it has always worked well for me. It is only hitting with a fully open air port from start to finish that I don't find satisfactory. Unless I am using it on glass where the air port is always closed.
Hitting with a fully open air port results in what I call Shandy vapour.
True you get a big cloud but it is not dense it is diluted and that makes a huge difference to the effect.

Top Bottom