Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Wait I thought the captive caps were loved. What’s everyone’s opinion on the new captive caps? I have two in my cart right now...

I have had an M with a captive cap for a while now.

I use it, and I don't think it's terrible or anything, but I have absolutely no intention of buying another one. The captive cap works fine for me, but I prefer the not-captive cap. The captive cap can be especially annoying when I am trying to remove it when it's still hot and I have to use a magnet.

JJ785

I prefer my Assassin with an OG condenser tube as it adds just the right amount of restriction. Without the condenser tube, it is too wide even for my preferences.
what's 'OG'? Does the o'ring seal well if used into a water piece or would something with integral adapter, like a BB9, be more appropriate for using mainly into water? Thanks and happy NY..

I use it, and I don't think it's terrible or anything, but I have absolutely no intention of buying another one. The captive cap works fine for me, but I prefer the not-captive cap. The captive cap can be especially annoying when I am trying to remove it when it's still hot and I have to use a magnet.
Do you notice any airflow difference?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
what's 'OG'? Does the o'ring seal well if used into a water piece or would something with integral adapter, like a BB9, be more appropriate for using mainly into water? Thanks and happy NY..
I was not really referring to a specific condenser, but mine is OLD, from an early TiGlassy VapCap.
I don't use water with flower, but it does seal well with 10mm, and also with 14mm but you do need to hold it a slight angle to seal when using a 14.

...I can't compare it to the BB as I don't have one. It just did not interest me.

JJ785

got ya.. I have an assassin on order (available in the UK finally) and plan to use the spare condenser from a 19M body. Will be interesting to compare with my shell shock..

Last edited:

JJ785

Yes and it is a big difference. The standard cap is a friction fit making a tighter seal giving thicker, less diluted vapour.
thanks for the feedback. Seems there are a lot of varying opinions about the cap...

Last edited:
JJ785,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
It seems it would make things simpler for those
Without condensers for the Assassin to include one.
Jack Black Yes GIF by National Geographic Channel

Smokey McVape

thanks for the feedback. Seems there are a lot of varying opinions about the cap...
The other difference is that you can pinch the standard cap for a better fit but if you do the same with the captive cap the captive lugs gets stuck easily on the tip. If you have only vaped and not smoked then I think you will enjoy the captive cap as you still get big clouds, just cooler and more diluted. If you are a reformed smoker like me you may prefer the thicker and warmer vapour produced with the standard cap.
What is your opinion on the Shell shock stem?

StringTheorista

I have had an M with a captive cap for a while now.

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to flatten the captivating bumps down, and like the cap a lot better now. But still not as much as a regular one.

JJ785

What is your opinion on the Shell shock stem?
-it hits really effectively and has amazing performance for the price.
-finding the carb can be a bit fidgety, but no probs.
-airflow isn't quite as much as I would like, which is why I've ordered an assassin.
-jury is still out for me whether I like using it into a bong.
- a bit disappointed that they introduced a new model (at similar price) so soon, but whatever.

It's great to have around but I might end up allocating it to outdoor use. I use water at home preferrably, as easier on the ol' throat.

:tup:

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

-it hits really effectively and has amazing performance for the price.
-finding the carb can be a bit fidgety, but no probs.
-airflow isn't quite as much as I would like, which is why I've ordered an assassin.
-jury is still out for me whether I like using it into a bong.
- a bit disappointed that they introduced a new model (at similar price) so soon, but whatever,.

It's great to have around, but I might end up allocating it to outdoor use. I use water at home preferrably, as easier on the ol' throat.

:tup:
Nice. Thanks.
I noticed you mentioned the airflow not being open enough for you - I think you will enjoy the captive caps as they are more open than the standard caps.

Smokey McVape,
Reactions: JJ785

JJ785

Airflow on the assassin is wide open—it has a large airport, and it is also a couple mm longer than an M stem, so if you insert your condenser flush to the mouthpiece end, there’s a large space between the end of the condenser and the tip. I have my condenser pushed in a few mm from the MP end
thanks for the heads up!

JJ785,

Ghosts

Stoner Turk
got ya.. I have an assassin on order (available in the UK finally) and plan to use the spare condenser from a 19M body. Will be interesting to compare with my shell shock..
where did you buy it from mate?

Ghosts,

notams

toke down Babylon
Stupid question... Why would there be any airflow difference between captive / non captive caps? It's the exact same size opening. Right? The only difference is shape.

Are you saying it's like pinching a hose to make it spray harder as opposed to just letting water flow freely?

notams,

stark1

Lonesome Planet
For those who have both ShellShock/Tectonic stems, are they different enough to warrant both?

If so, how different are they.

Was going for a Tectonic, but thought it would be wise to ask.
New Year GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

stark1,

Smokey McVape

Stupid question... Why would there be any airflow difference between captive / non captive caps? It's the exact same size opening. Right? The only difference is shape.

Are you saying it's like pinching a hose to make it spray harder as opposed to just letting water flow freely?
Yes that's a good analogy. I find that after pinching the standard cap it fits tighter compared to my captive caps but saying that I have had vapcaps since 2017 and the old design caps are tighter than the new design to the point that they don't need pinching.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I've been using my shellshock as my water bubbler piece. I mostly use a plain wooden stem and vape dry. However when I'm looking for some water cooling, I like the o-ring hack on the shellshock which forms a great fit in a 14mm bubbler. That in my little Rick and Morty 5in bubbler makes for a fun time with a small footprint.

I don't like an airport so I leave it closed off completely.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I suspect one of two things @Smokey McVape and @notams - one, there was an early 2020 M release where I did measure the cap to be thinner. I don't remember the exact spec but the thickness was 10-12% thinner than older caps. If the OD is managed in the deep draw tooling, the ID would be a smidge bigger by implication.

The second possibility is probably more realistic; the OD of tips vary a lot. I cannot just swap tips and caps without risking loosing one.

Could be both. It all comes down to - the cap is what it is.

JJ785

I've been using my shellshock as my water bubbler piece. I mostly use a plain wooden stem and vape dry. However when I'm looking for some water cooling, I like the o-ring hack on the shellshock which forms a great fit in a 14mm bubbler. That in my little Rick and Morty 5in bubbler makes for a fun time with a small footprint.

I don't like an airport so I leave it closed off completely.
Great feedback!

Texus

For those who have both ShellShock/Tectonic stems, are they different enough to warrant both?

If so, how different are they.

Was going for a Tectonic, but thought it would be wise to ask.
New Year GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals
Still getting used to the Tectonic (and honestly could use a demo video or instructions for it. Lots of adaptability for airflow, but I'd like a little guidance. ShellShock is more straightforward experience. But since Tectonic only showed up yeserday I want to wait until I'm more experienced with it to comment further. Tho I will say I got some great clouds from it.

Texus,
Reactions: stark1

StringTheorista

Actually the captive cap has a very slightly larger diameter than older caps. Fractions of a mm, but noticeable. Don’t know If my pix show it very well...
4-FDFC3-AE-5-FE1-4-C9-A-8-F26-F6-AF2-FE90-E62.jpg

D2-F36-D63-8-FEF-4824-891-D-ED3-CF50-B48-A6.jpg

First pic is captive cap, second is 2018 cap

stark1

Lonesome Planet
When a regular condenser is used on the assassin, there is indeed a
Gap between tip and condenser end. :hmm:

An alternate solution which works for me is to simply use an XL condenser. :ko:
(This changes the flow dynamics, towards more constriction. LOL)

PS should the fit of the cap on the tip not be a function of its inner diameter, the ID? 🤔

Last edited:
stark1,
Top Bottom