Dreamwood Glow

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
No no don't worry, it's relatively easy, and no soldering required. There are plenty of youtube tutorials if you want. But basically you need to find a small round object to wrap the wire around, then you remove said object and voila! Or well, you also need to leave some straight ends to make the legs of course.

The subtlety with SS is that the windings should not touch each others. So you can wind tight then stretch it a bit afterwards to space them apart. Once installed you can strum them gently with a toothpick to make sure they don't touch. If they touch you get partial shorts and it reduces your overall resistance.

Just make sure your mod is regulated (i.e. not in bypass mod or in a mech mod) otherwise it can be dangerous if your resistance is too low and the resulting current exceeds your cell discharge rating.

arb

Semi shaved ape
@Franco - The hollow teeth feeling is something I get regardless of consumption method (including edibles), but it certainly wasn’t any worse/different using the Glow for the first time last night. It may just be you only have the same ‘normal’ reaction with kanthal.

@arb - At the temps were vaping it no metals should be giving off fumes.

I only managed a few bowls with the Glow last night - I was really knackered after the vaccine reaction and had to get some sleep.

My overall impression is that there is a bit of a learning curve to using this thing. Using the cup screen I found my herb extracted unevenly and I was struggling to get good and consistent vapour; plus I was dealing with the wood colouring the flavour of my botanicals (which is something I expect with new wood).

I moved on to the new capsule screen, which I much preferred (although the lid is a bit fiddly to put on). You can pack loosely, which I prefer, and give the capsule a little flick between draws to shake up your material. Extraction, flavour and vapour production was a lot better, but still a little inconsistent.

Next I tried temp-stepping by 1watt increments, going from 36w to 41w. Extraction and vapour production were a lot better, but still not something that delivers the instant gratification of the Tinymight. Also, despite getting good extraction - based on my AVB - I didn’t seem to be getting the full effects of my material. I suppose that could also be down to not being fully recovered form the jab.

At this point I think I’ll have to re-read this thread from the beginning and see what other options there are for packing and usage techniques.

lol guys, you dont vape enough or bad herb, chill, cool down, no need to argue and get in bad mood.

arb will get a new unit.

and i would love it if you behave now like grown ups and not like semi shaped apes.

sorry guys, i am sad about this, i hate it if a customer is not happy, i know i cant make it right for everyone, but i would like to.

btw. is it possible now to load up pics here or do i need to use a uploadsite? (that sucks)
Still waiting for this any idea when its coming?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I don't know if I'm allowed to post a screenshot here... Let's just wait for the makers to introduce their newest product line. Same heater as the vapbong too. Not sure what kind of vvps it's using though.

Just for future reference, you can feel free to post any screenshots wherever as long as they are on topic (sure it would make sense to start a dreamwood desktop thread in the upcoming plugin section, but not necessary really since it has not even been announced I guess? So here is fine in this context I think, and yeah it gives them opportunity to create the thread themselves if/when it becomes a reality...)

Just wanted to mention it, I often see people here wondering if they can post links as well, and that is also fine btw

Thank you everyone! I also would like to hear if anyone has measured the size of the bowl of Glow 14? How much material I can put in to it?

Probably anywhere from .02g to .2g depending on how you load exactly... I don't think I would recommend loading it that full though?

Am I using the glow 14 wrong? I don't get good vapor unless using it with glass. If I use it directly to the mouth, the air is way too hot and I barely get vapor. The wood also gets insanely hot but the weed barely vapes.

If you are getting good vapor using it through glass pieces, then there is likely nothing wrong with your glow, you are just a little sensitive to the hot air of pure convection, it can be tricky to get the proper draw technique right, so it makes sense that you are having more success through water as that can be easier to maintain the proper consistent draw... Plus yeah you get the cooling, so yeah sounds normal to me, just keep at it!

Dayseed

After just having a eureka moment with the Glow I can attest to how important draw technique.

Reading back over the great advice in this thread I realised I was being too cautious and afraid of combustion. So I set the air path wide open, cranked it up to 50w and took long, fast and deep draws.

Now I need a lie down...or cake.

arb

Semi shaved ape
After just having a eureka moment with the Glow I can attest to how important draw technique.

Reading back over the great advice in this thread I realised I was being too cautious and afraid of combustion. So I set the air path wide open, cranked it up to 50w and took long, fast and deep draws.

Now I need a lie down...or cake.
That's how I like to ride myself.
😁

Shit Snacks

Yeah I think I was using my Glow 14 around 32 watts for quick one hitters with the long glass cooling stem, loading just enough to fill the basket screen, so no stirring needed.

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: arb

ChilledAsian

image0%20(1).jpeg

EDIT: My bad, but how do you post pics here?

ChilledAsian,

lauantaimakkara

Probably anywhere from .02g to .2g depending on how you load exactly... I don't think I would recommend loading it that full though?
Thank you! Good to know it’s possible to use very small amounts also!

Now I started to worry about the correct drawing technique haha!

I really hope this is The one for me!

Shit Snacks

image0%20(1).jpeg

Go to imgbb.com or imgur and paste the bb code here (there are other ways though too)

Thank you! Good to know it’s possible to use very small amounts also!

Now I started to worry about the correct drawing technique haha!

I really hope this is The one for me!

Have you had any experience with pure convection before? Just be patient is all!

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
Did you change the coils in your Glow (as I believe they come with kanthal) ?
If so, what did you use to replace those ?

When I first got the Glow, it was sold with an SS coil. After a while it broke up and I've changed it twice with a 2 different kanthal coils. With the same terrible results. Now I'm experimenting with different type of SS316L coils.

I didn't realize Kanthal had aluminum in it. Wtf...

I got the Glow 18 specifically because I thought it was the cleanest/safest vapor path (after removing all the o-rings and using the glass cooling MP). No way would I have bought it if I had known the coils contained aluminum. Glowing aluminum seems incredibly sketchy. I never cook with aluminum, and I certainly don't want to inhale it. My sense of smell is weak, but my brother's is very good, and he did say he smelled the metal when I showed him how the coils glowed.

I guess I should just buy some steel coils? How does it perform with steel? Do I need to change my Smoant Charon Mini firmware to get Temp Control? How do I know if this box mod is compatible with Arctic Fox?

It performs very good with SS, even better IMO, but unfortunately I'm no mod expert, so can't comment on the firmware.
Anyway, even with a SS and TCR I highly doubt the coil won't glow and for safety reasons (metal fumes and so on) they aren't supposed to.
But that's another :worms:

Franco,
Reactions: arb

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Lot of talks here, personnaly I don't have any issues with the Kanthal coils appart the taste seems slightly muted, with my old Glow rcv14 I got second hands I thought it was cause the heavy used mouthpiece although it looks similar with the V3 Glow rcv18 I got brand new. Although I ordered and received a roll of SS wire
Did you made the SS coil with exactly the same shape?
The stock coil is a Clapton coil, is a simple wire will work as well? (TIA)

After I used a Iheat and a Imp, after I made myself some good working atties, I can say the Dreamwood Glows are well engineered 510 devices, I think it's slightly easier to use than the others mentionned and finish is slightly better on the V3, my walnut is top notch!

I even lowered my power (yes I'm still on Kanthal) to 24w with +50% airflow open and I can still milk my bubblers in 8-10s. About draw I usually start slowly and increase my drawing rate at max (or close) when I feel the vapor coming :lol: (do you feel the vapor coming?) That's my technic with most convection based devices.

Not sure if I did it right, but here's the screenshot. The vapor production seems very dense (didn't screenshot this part though)...
That desktop looks intriguing, did you saw the glass part between the bowl and the square wood block, I don't know exactly what it is but they got my interest!

Dayseed

Good to know it’s possible to use very small amounts also!
Using the new mesh capsules in an 18 glass mouthpiece (no dimples) you can use incredibly tiny amounts of material. The smallest I tried last night was equivalent to half a Dynavap bowl and I don’t think you’d want to use less than that.

Read the pinned notice under the main menu at the top of the page. You need to enable attaching images in your profile settings.

GradeANugs

What gauge of SS316L wire should I use for a simple coil in TC mode?

I have a Glow 18 and I ordered 24 ga wire because that's all that was in stock, but after googling about gauges, it seems like 24 ga might be too low resistance. But then again, most of the comments I saw are probably for e-cigs, which could have different temp ranges.

What diameter coil/number of wraps would you recommend for 24/26/28 gauge SS316L?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Depends on the space you have really. But the larger the wire diameter (i.e. smaller gauge) the least likely it is to glow, but indeed the lower the resistance. Most mods these days can fire sub ohm coils with no issue but if you go very low it might fall into a band of low efficiency for the DC/DC converter which can lead to overheating issues.

Also larger wires take more space and more turns to achieve a resistance that is not too low. But if you can achieve something in the 0.2 to 0.4 range you should be good. The Impcognito is 0.22 ohm stock for instance, but that's with two parallel coils (and thus a lower overall resistance as it is halved)

I like to use between 18 and 22 ga if possible. 18 is quite extreme and requires decks with lots of space. It's also harder to work (needs pliers) At 24 you're not too far from 22, could work, just need to try!

Again: sub-ohming without electronic protections inside your mod is a no go, much too dangerous. So no "bypass" mode and no mech-mods, unless you know pretty well what you are doing.

GradeANugs

Depends on the space you have really. But the larger the wire diameter (i.e. smaller gauge) the least likely it is to glow, but indeed the lower the resistance. Most mods these days can fire sub ohm coils with no issue but if you go very low it might fall into a band of low efficiency for the DC/DC converter which can lead to overheating issues.

Also larger wires take more space and more turns to achieve a resistance that is not too low. But if you can achieve something in the 0.2 to 0.4 range you should be good. The Impcognito is 0.22 ohm stock for instance, but that's with two parallel coils (and thus a lower overall resistance as it is halved)

I like to use between 18 and 22 ga if possible. 18 is quite extreme and requires decks with lots of space. It's also harder to work (needs pliers) At 24 you're not too far from 22, could work, just need to try!

Again: sub-ohming without electronic protections inside your mod is a no go, much too dangerous. So no "bypass" mode and no mech-mods, unless you know pretty well what you are doing.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to test different setups for their resistances. I definitely want to avoid glowing of the SS, so that makes me feel better about not getting a thinner wire.

I'm very new to the box mod game, so I definitely shouldn't be trying bypass mode or mech mods. Technically I have a degree in physics, but haven't used it in 11 years and I never learned much in my one electrical lab (though I did befriend the TA and ended up smoking weed and salvia with him haha).

I ordered the Joyetech Espion 200w because I heard it has Red Panda pre-installed and can do TC out of the box. I assume that means I should be fine as long as it's actually set to TC mode for SS. Has anybody tried this particular box mod?

Shit Snacks

No I haven’t! Do you have any tips or tricks? Tips and tricks from other users are also very welcome!

Ah so getting the hang of the draw will just be a learning curve for you perhaps, just remember you are creating vapor by inhaling the hot air through the herbs, so it takes a nice steady inhale deep into the lungs... Timing with the trigger using wattage also takes adjusting, you may want to pulse the trigger, perhaps counting 5 seconds, I usually watch for the glow if I am using the glass stem... Don't overload or pack too tightly, but also don't do too little too loose, happy medium with a consistent medium or medium-fine grind... Try to use only it if you can when it arrives so you can acclimate!

Dayseed

I think you’re going to have a blast with it @Therapy

I was so impressed that I just had to order a load of accessorie.

Dayseed,

Therapy

After using my Elev8r for a week I am loving the convection vaporization.
Hoping this could me my portable convection option if I don't want to wait for the coil to heat up or when I am out of the house.

Dayseed

@disGRUNTled - That mod extension cable looks like it comes in handy. How useful is it really when paired with a water piece? A must buy?

Dayseed,
Top Bottom