dotLeaf

StillBiggerThanYou

So I picked one up anyway, just because I really like the small form factor (my other Vapes are the ArGo and DynaVap). I figured if I didn't like it I know a few people that might take it as a gift.

Used it 3 times a day for 6 days, and no combustion.

I rather like this thing.

I still prefer my ArGo for sipping, and the ability to preload several bowls and head out the doors open. But this is a great little vape to take on a short walk or a little break because of how quick it gets to work.

so far. so good.

Pukka

These will hold 3 ovens per case secure and generally airtightish. Recommended by me

Deecee

I will keep this short, used 1 original model and 2 different 1.5's and all have ended up in combustion. Out of 5 ovens 1 was doa all the others end up combusting after 2 weeks of use.

I was told by a rep the ovens are made to only last so long and they were meant to be replaced. 2 weeks is just not enough usage for me and I'm not a fan of the lifecycle of an oven. First they are just hot and dont produce vapor well, after a few uses they get better and you are in the goldilocks zone. You can vape it like a dream and the only issue is hot bits go through the screen and cause throat irritation. Then 2 weeks later comes random combustion events.

I had to put this device down for weeks at a time because I was getting a throat irritation due to the high heat even through water. I ended up taking breaks 2 weeks at a time vaping oil instead until it cleared up.

So anyways coming from someone who has daily driven 3 different units and 5 ovens and every single one ends up combusting and not just one time but many times.

I received a replacement oven last week and the device just reminds me how hot it gets and after using another device as a daily driver and have decided to use it instead. When they can get their oven to work like the IQ2 oven I might revisit their products again.

If you daily drive these and dont vape using something else and you dont get the occasional black abv and smoke after 2 weeks of use I would love to hear your story. Also I noticed someone say black abv is not combustion and sorry but it most def is. The darkest my abv ever gets is a dark walnut, black is burnt.

Last edited:

BeeSawd

I will keep this short, used 1 original model and 2 different 1.5's and all have ended up in combustion. Out of 5 ovens 1 was doa all the others end up combusting after 2 weeks of use.

I was told by a rep the ovens are made to only last so long and they were meant to be replaced. 2 weeks is just not enough usage for me and I'm not a fan of the lifecycle of an oven. First they are just hot and dont produce vapor well, after a few uses they get better and you are in the goldilocks zone. You can vape it like a dream and the only issue is hot bits go through the screen and cause throat irritation. Then 2 weeks later comes random combustion events.

I had to put this device down for weeks at a time because I was getting a throat irritation due to the high heat even through water. I ended up taking breaks 2 weeks at a time vaping oil instead until it cleared up.

So anyways coming from someone who has daily driven 3 different units and 5 ovens and every single one ends up combusting and not just one time but many times.

I received a replacement oven last week and the device just reminds me how hot it gets and after using another device as a daily driver and have decided to use it instead. When they can get their oven to work like the IQ2 oven I might revisit their products again.

If you daily drive these and dont vape using something else and you dont get the occasional black abv and smoke after 2 weeks of use I would love to hear your story. Also I noticed someone say black abv is not combustion and sorry but it most def is. The darkest my abv ever gets is a dark walnut, black is burnt.
I keep having to replace ovens as well (instead of combustion tho now they just dont detect at all) and have to jump through new hoops every time i try to get them replaced. It really is a fantastic vape when it works but it just isnt finished enough to be anyone's only vape and as good as their CS is it doesn't replace QC. Again i really like my dot, but it gets far too hot and is far too inconsistent, also PBT in the airpath? Cutting my losses and just gonna use this oven till it dies and giving up till they decide the issues arent all user error and release a new oven without these issues.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
I keep having to replace ovens as well (instead of combustion tho now they just dont detect at all) and have to jump through new hoops every time i try to get them replaced. It really is a fantastic vape when it works but it just isnt finished enough to be anyone's only vape and as good as their CS is it doesn't replace QC. Again i really like my dot, but it gets far too hot and is far too inconsistent, also PBT in the airpath? Cutting my losses and just gonna use this oven till it dies and giving up till they decide the issues arent all user error and release a new oven without these issues.
Thats that ... I'm out ... we'll see about v2 if and when it comes to be

Roundbhoy

I watched a video titled dotleaf 1.0 v dotleaf 1.5 on the dotleafofficial YouTube page. At about 2:35 into the video the guy mentions they have upgraded the oring to a teflon based oring.

I could definetly be wrong, but I thought there was issues with Tera in the beginning using teflon or something. I don't know enough about materials and unsafe temperatures but hopefully someone who knows more than me can clear things up about Teflon and if it's a safe material and correct me if I'm wrong.

At the end of the day we all just want a reliable and safe vape to use.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I noticed someone say black abv is not combustion and sorry but it most def is. The darkest my abv ever gets is a dark walnut, black is burnt.
Combustion creates white ash. If it's black is likely very close but not combustion until it lights up. If it's still black it's not quite there yet but you've obviously had your fair share of issues so it's easy to understand your frustrations.

I wish @dotleaf_Alex could tell us exactly what is happening here to have such a wide range of usage experience. I spoke to him via email and it did seem that the oven replacement policy was not exactly how it was being described in the forum's. Ovens will last much longer than a few weeks, assuming they are cleaned and maintained.

Deecee

Combustion creates white ash. If it's black is likely very close but not combustion until it lights up. If it's still black it's not quite there yet but you've obviously had your fair share of issues so it's easy to understand your frustrations.

I wish @dotleaf_Alex could tell us exactly what is happening here to have such a wide range of usage experience. I spoke to him via email and it did seem that the oven replacement policy was not exactly how it was being described in the forum's. Ovens will last much longer than a few weeks, assuming they are cleaned and maintained.
If thats the case then it doesn't combust, I dont vape devices that vape product black.

I have used a vivant alternate, and iq2 they dont get material black. I have burned dosage pods on my stempod si and there was no ash and i was def getting smoke not vapor.

For me black indicates carbon aka it got too hot, when you see carbon thats an indication something got burned you really dont need ash.

Also you can taste if you are getting smoke or vapor, a burnt load doesn't taste like vapor.

I'm not saying their policy is 2 weeks per oven, im saying in MY experience thats what I get.

I have 0 idea how long they should last and I dont believe they ever said.

Roundbhoy

I believe that issue was cleared up further back in the thread where it was mentioned that it was a mistake on the video and it is not Teflon. It is actually a high temp silicone.
Thanks I'll have a look further back in the thread and see if I can see what was said. It's been mentioned in the discord aswell as that video about it being teflon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605_165156_com.discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605_165156_com.discord.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 26
Roundbhoy,
Reactions: BeeSawd

maremaresing

Finally FINALLY got to go spend the day at the mall shopping and doing errands safely post vaccine this weekend. For the first time I actually took the dotleaf out in the wild with it's modshield skin.

Qmiygcc.jpg

Absolutely mint. Temp 2 really is a winner for me as it hits the high temps and vapor I want without being harsh. Rapid heatup at that level, too. I just took a few draws until I got a huge exhale, then a few cool down draws, and I was good to go.

The skin is fantastic for keeping smell in, but also keeping the mp sanitary. With dirty hands pawing through clothes and whatnot, it was nice to have that security.

"no one got a beta" this thread really doesn't make it seem that way.

My "no one got a beta" shirt is raising a lot of questions answered by my shirt. lol

Pukka

I'm hoping you good and kind folks can help me prove or disprove a theory about the dot and malfunctions.

Do you store your dot with or without the oven inserted and have you had malfunctions beyond 1st week learning stuff.

I'm really starting to think most people's problems are related to the connector between the device body and bowl pod. Yeah, that springy gold round thingie. I'm almost sure enough to start betting, not sure enough to sacrifice a bowl for the cause.

Your answers will help. Thanks!

Pukka,
Reactions: Crimi

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I'm hoping you good and kind folks can help me prove or disprove a theory about the dot and malfunctions.

Do you store your dot with or without the oven inserted and have you had malfunctions beyond 1st week learning stuff.

I'm really starting to think most people's problems are related to the connector between the device body and bowl pod. Yeah, that springy gold round thingie. I'm almost sure enough to start betting, not sure enough to sacrifice a bowl for the cause.

I leave my oven installed. The only issue I ever experienced personally was the until not recognizing the oven. I popped it out, took the battery out too, reinserted and boom I was back in business.

I had sent back my V1 for an upgrade to a v1.5. During that time I didn't want to go without so I opened a silver V1.5. Green one came back with the upgraded firmware and I sold it open box. Comments from the customer here.

The dotleaf arrived today, and exceeded my expectations, it puts my mighty to shame! Thanks especially for the extra oven, I really appreciate it. I will definitely order again from you guys.

I sent him along an extra OG oven I had and told him it may or may not last (I still can use mine). I really wish we could figure out why this unit yields such different results for people.

Last edited:

YuckMassF

Not sure to understand your question.

I store my dotleaf with the oven inserted. For me "malfunctions" happened in the first week of use, and as i said before it was nothing bad.

From this time, no problem, just a good vape.

BeeSawd

I leave my over installed. The only issue I ever experienced personally was the until not recognizing the oven. I popped it out, took the battery out too, reinserted and boom I was back in business.

I had sent back my V1 for an upgrade to a v1.5. During that time I didn't want to go without so I opened a silver V1.5. Green one came back with the upgraded firmware and I sold it open box. Comments from the customer here.

The dotleaf arrived today, and exceeded my expectations, it puts my mighty to shame! Thanks especially for the extra oven, I really appreciate it. I will definitely order again from you guys.

I sent him along an extra OG oven I had and told him it may or may not last (I still can use mine). I really wish we could figure out why this unit yields such different results for people.
People's results seem to wildly differ because the quality control does as well, inconsistent seems to be a great way to describe this device

Vizyt91

Hi vapers,
I leave my oven in when not in use, i often have the white blinking issue, then I just play a little with the oven in the device until it starts to heat up. This thing is a milking machine that hits réal hard (temp 4+ bubbler), if I hit it dry temp 2 or 3 are my favs. No combustion since I clean my oven every week 👍

BeeSawd

I disagree. I have had way more happy customers than unhappy customers and I'd venture the same is true of sales through Dotmod directly.
Didn't say no one was having a good time, i said it was inconsistent.

BeeSawd,
Reactions: arb

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Didn't say no one was having a good time, i said it was inconsistent.
You also made some statements about quality control and I'm not sure we have real data to support that. In my over a decade in this business, working in the industry and being an enthusiast, what I am seeing here seems normal. It's a new product. It's typical that hiccups occur. Even units with very long and extensive beta testing periods have problems at launch. I can provide data past and present to support this. Beyond that in my experience the user has to be part of the equation. I can't tell you how many times a "broken" unit turned out to be human error. And as I have already said multiple times, people are more apt to come and complain here as opposed to talk about the fact they are having no issues.

You and I live close. I am more than happy to borrow your unit and test to see if I can replicate any problems, while you use mine and see what kind of experience I have had.

Last edited:

Pukka

VGOODIEZ, can I quitely say Ghost MV1 🙃 (still love/use my collection).

I'm thinking like this. BlackBox1 (BB1) = Dotleaf itself, BlackBox2 (BB2) = bowl/pod, Connector (TP1). Now for the facts. BB2 works as a heater, it's tech that's use for vaporizing herb has been proven in the industry. BB2 works as a 2-wire temperature controller, also a well known and proven tech in both the the nicotine and cannabis vaping industries. TP1 does what it is designed to do, connect BB1 & BB2 and allow the controller to do its thing with the bowl heater coil. (Quick aside, 2 wire temp control works by monitering the resistence of the heater over the power wires to determine the "temperature" at the same time controlling power to the heater).

OK, assumption time. BB1 works. Although, different in "programming" implementation, I'd bet that the physical implementations of circuitry between the DotLeaf and DotAIO are pretty much the same. They're both 2-wire temp controllers based on Dot's programming, which has been around in one form or another for years. So I really think it can be eliminated as an issue. Toss out BB2 as a problem, if it were hardwired in I believe all problems would be nil. That leaves TP1, which I believe is the issue.

StillBiggerThanYou

I've had mine for a little over a week, daily use so far, about 3x a day.

So far, zero issues, and performs as advertised.

I hope I don't have any problems with it, but so far it's been pretty great.

Also, just to contribute, i inky remove the oven to clean/reload. Otherwise it's always in there.

Pukka

2-wire temp control nicotine vapes use a screw in 2 wire connection between the atomizer (the bowl in our case) and the controlling device. Forget, for the moment, that most temp control vapes allow you to read and lock in atomizer resistence (yay dot v1.5), this gets you a stable resistence reading on the atomizer to use to control heating. Dot uses a concentric springy 2 piece thingie.

Now I gotta be honest here. Most of this is just guesses, with reguards to the Dot, at this point in time. I'd like to try to mod an oven to 1) see how the darn thing works, and 2) I'd love to know the maximum current draw so I can decide on batteries. Also, fyi: v1.0 dot, 2 translucient and 2 tan ovens, maybe 3 nasty near combustions, I use a weekly soak in iso.

zor

My silver 1.5 arrived yesterday, I got it as both a holdover while I await a replacement TM and to also check it out as a potential first vape for my girlfriend.

I dig the design, size, feel, and functionality....but I am having a really, really bad flavor experience. I've tried two different strains, Lime OG (incredibly citrus and loud) and Sour Tangie (orange/sweet), and both have had muted flavor on the first pull (tried starting on levels 1 and 2) and then after maybe 2 more muted hits I get this awful bitter and acrid taste. The vapor is hot enough to irritate/tickle my palate and the top of my throat so I can't take very deep pulls, even on the first level :(

I've done a few level 4 temp burnoffs, scrubbed with ISO and rinsed with water. Tried taking hits on an empty oven and there is no discernible bad flavor, it seems completely neutral....so is something going wrong with the way it's heating my herb? Makes no sense. I can't liken the bitterness to anything else except maybe like eating some ABV.

I'm gonna keep playing with it, maybe change the size of my grind and pack it differently. I haven't tried a fully packed and tamped oven yet, not sure I really want to given the above, but trying to load a smaller portion (1/3 of the oven capacity) doesn't seem to yield good extraction...but I have a lot more testing to do :science:

Top Bottom