dotLeaf

thunderstealer1337

I just want the same oven they provided way back in Nov where nobody even mentioned combustion for months on end or discussed that the chambers would die/not sense.

I got mine in Jan and it was loaded with issues, random combustion and random not sensing the chamber, all after they ramped up the production #s and started the distribution to vendors (I got mine from elementvape?)

The mouthpiece is the concern, not the oring, there are pics of melted mouthpiece on this thread and reddit, if the chambers keep overheating to the point beyond operating limits, along with the airpath being partially blocked by the plastic mouthpiece.

You get melted mouthpiece, I keep asking why the heater is misaligned by 30%? The "it's designed this way" answer doesn't fly in my book, just screams recycled mold and we didn't bother to draw up a new mouthpiece or put enough time in cad to address the difference of the heating chambers from ecig to herb units

YuckMassF

My silver 1.5 arrived yesterday, I got it as both a holdover while I await a replacement TM and to also check it out as a potential first vape for my girlfriend.

I dig the design, size, feel, and functionality....but I am having a really, really bad flavor experience. I've tried two different strains, Lime OG (incredibly citrus and loud) and Sour Tangie (orange/sweet), and both have had muted flavor on the first pull (tried starting on levels 1 and 2) and then after maybe 2 more muted hits I get this awful bitter and acrid taste. The vapor is hot enough to irritate/tickle my palate and the top of my throat so I can't take very deep pulls, even on the first level :(

I've done a few level 4 temp burnoffs, scrubbed with ISO and rinsed with water. Tried taking hits on an empty oven and there is no discernible bad flavor, it seems completely neutral....so is something going wrong with the way it's heating my herb? Makes no sense. I can't liken the bitterness to anything else except maybe like eating some ABV.

I'm gonna keep playing with it, maybe change the size of my grind and pack it differently. I haven't tried a fully packed and tamped oven yet, not sure I really want to given the above, but trying to load a smaller portion (1/3 of the oven capacity) doesn't seem to yield good extraction...but I have a lot more testing to do :science:
Hey! You should definitely try a full oven, packed nicely, my experience was that with not enough tamping, there was not a good ammount of vapor.

When it is nicely packed, you can draw strong for a short ammount of time and you should get a good cloud, even on the lowest setting.

For info, it's been around 1 month with my device, 2 ovens. I had got any problem since my last post, the vape is great and i love it. Sure it is not the best for taste and the detection of ovens often ask you to put the oven in and out couple of times for it to work. But besides of that, it hits hard, and that is what i need in a vape.

I understand the safety concerns out there, and obviously if the device combusts or if the mouthpiece melts, it is not okay (should be a vape not a pipe). But for my situation, if i dont have a ultraportable vape that hits hard, imma go for combustion, so in MY case, dotleaf is a good vape, because it gets me away from smoking, sure it could have better materials for safety, or medical testing, but it has not. If you want the most safe vape, go look at storz and bickel maybe, but not at the dotleaf.

Have a nice day yall!

maremaresing

Nobody has ever provided evidence of a "melting mouthpiece", nor was there an original report to base it off of, yet it pops up every few months lol.

My silver 1.5 arrived yesterday, I got it as both a holdover while I await a replacement TM and to also check it out as a potential first vape for my girlfriend.

I dig the design, size, feel, and functionality....but I am having a really, really bad flavor experience. I've tried two different strains, Lime OG (incredibly citrus and loud) and Sour Tangie (orange/sweet), and both have had muted flavor on the first pull (tried starting on levels 1 and 2) and then after maybe 2 more muted hits I get this awful bitter and acrid taste. The vapor is hot enough to irritate/tickle my palate and the top of my throat so I can't take very deep pulls, even on the first level :(

I've done a few level 4 temp burnoffs, scrubbed with ISO and rinsed with water. Tried taking hits on an empty oven and there is no discernible bad flavor, it seems completely neutral....so is something going wrong with the way it's heating my herb? Makes no sense. I can't liken the bitterness to anything else except maybe like eating some ABV.

I'm gonna keep playing with it, maybe change the size of my grind and pack it differently. I haven't tried a fully packed and tamped oven yet, not sure I really want to given the above, but trying to load a smaller portion (1/3 of the oven capacity) doesn't seem to yield good extraction...but I have a lot more testing to do :science:

Not sure what other vapes you've tried, but conduction heavy vapes like the dotleaf aren't great on flavor. You'll get something decent on the first few pulls, but then it gets toasty. The dot has miles better flavor than my airvape or starry, but similar toasty flavor. But in any case, you'll get best results packing the oven tight. You can try half packing the oven, but you have to compress that.

There is a new Brick Builder for the dot, that I'm excited to try since I like really tight packs. Going to try compressing a half pack pill and seeing how it holds together and works.

thunderstealer1337

Nobody has ever provided evidence of a "melting mouthpiece", nor was there an original report to base it off of, yet it pops up every few months lol.
there is a picture of it in this thread, if you read your posts on this thread it explains where you stand, nothing negative about this problematic device.

We discussed this already, delrin melts at like 347F

The chambers get hotter then that

The heating portion of the chamber is not aligned up 100% fully, and actual 30% of the heater that heats up (hot part) is not being covered in the aluminum body, is directly exposed in the air path.

Lots reports of combustion events = heating chambers operating out of their normal operating limits, I really dont want that plastic mouth piece to be blocking the heater air path, regardless if unit is malfunctioning or functioning normally - its a design flaw imo, but :uhh:

maremaresing

I'll gladly concede if you can show your work but without picture proof it's really just hearsay. I've been using the delrin drip tip and even on temp 4 it is unaffected. Not even a bad flavor, definitely no change in material.

But whatever it's a 510 drip tip if the material upsets you then drop a few bucks on any material under the sun. Ceramic, Glass, all manner of metals. The world is your oyster. That's one of the benefits of reusing the dotAIO design!

To show my own work, here are the tips I've been using
xGzjhDV.jpg

2tNLpXn.jpg

7 months and still great, and the 14/18mm adapters have pretty much only been used for full sessions of Temp 4.

I'm not saying that the dotleaf is defect free; no product is. But just don't make things up. It's been said by many (not just me) over and over that this is a fantastic vape that has a normal rate of defect that you'd see in any advanced vape system. For me, it's one of the few vapes on the market today that checks all the boxes, and actually brings something new to the table.

It has a safer and more maintainable airpath than most vapes, and I wish more companies valued that.

Last edited:

zor

Well, I tried loading a full oven, packed it well, set the temp to 3, and took a pull....yuck yuck YUCK the flavor is so bitter and unpleasant. I can't stand this.

Not sure what other vapes you've tried, but conduction heavy vapes like the dotleaf aren't great on flavor. You'll get something decent on the first few pulls, but then it gets toasty. The dot has miles better flavor than my airvape or starry, but similar toasty flavor. But in any case, you'll get best results packing the oven tight. You can try half packing the oven, but you have to compress that.

I've used the MFLB, various vapcaps, pax 1 and 2, and myriad other conduction vapes, none of them have ever had such an awful bitter taste.

What I'm curious about is how no one else here has experienced this...and since the heating and extraction is all in the oven I wonder if this oven is flawed. Still doesn't make sense to me, since I've done empty-oven tests and there's no off taste (and yes, I have used the same cannabis in different vaporizers, no off flavor).

Gonna try it one more time but this time without the plastic mouthpiece, it's the only other variable I can think of that's creating this disgusting flavor.

Edit: as expected, removing the mouthpiece did not reduce bitterness. Barring any other suggestions from you folks I'm gonna have to return this and find something better for my gf as this is a great way to turn her off from vaporizing.

edit 2: hah, thanks to covid I forget that I can now see my friends, who can also test this...

Last edited:

maremaresing

In that case it's terps or part of your load getting scorched weird. IDK mine doesn't do it, but it definitely doesn't have the great flavor of the miqro. Why not drop the temp down to 2 and see how you like it? Or try through a jhook to tame the heat (it get's very hot on 3 and 4).

Dotleaf isn't, and never was, a "flavor chaser". It's a pocket nuke.

Since thunderstealer couldn't find any proof about melting drip tips I did a search again (like I've done before). Seems like last time this came up it was literally thunderstealer starting the rumor, with ME asking for proof since I hadn't seen anything anywhere. Then, like now, they left without showing anything.

Wasn't there report of the plastic mouthpiece showing signs of melting in v1.0? That's why I am going to stay away from this device until they align the vapor path 100%, very ez to see it's a old tool mold for the dot mod, I don't accept that they designed it this way, not 1 sec

There was never a report of that. It's impossible for that to happen without causing disfiguring burns to your mouth and lungs. I think I recall what you might have seen in the beginning there, where someone was talking about the oring at the top. But we figured out that was just it getting worn away, I think.

edit: I looked up the melting point of POM and it's around 350F, so saying it's "impossible" isn't correct. That said, there haven't been reports of this, or even a plastic taste you'd get before it melted. Nylon, like the underdog vapes, would be even better. I just use a metal drip tip, myself.

Can you explain your comment about using "old tool molds"? Do you think they are using different molds than the dotaio? Doesn't CNC go off of programmed actions, rather than a mold?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the ultem whistle tip that @BeeSawd recommended. It's my go to, and comes with a higher temp rating naturally.

SebrktM.jpg

zor

In that case it's terps or part of your load getting scorched weird. IDK mine doesn't do it, but it definitely doesn't have the great flavor of the miqro. Why not drop the temp down to 2 and see how you like it? Or try through a jhook to tame the heat (it get's very hot on 3 and 4).

Dotleaf isn't, and never was, a "flavor chaser". It's a pocket nuke.

Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried all of the heat settings, tried with a few glass pieces, tried it with varying amounts of herb, etc. A friend last night had the same experience as me. I'm gonna contact VG for a return or to perhaps try a different oven, just in case there's issue with the one it shipped with. I want this to work out but at this point might just order another tinymight or something.

I am not looking to chase flavor, I initially wanted to suggest this for my partner as it checks off many of the boxes for her needs. I'd be ok with pax levels of paltry flavor IF there was no bitterness. As it stands, to me, this vape puts out gross, vile vapor, so yeah, in line with your nuke metaphor. :\

YuckMassF

Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried all of the heat settings, tried with a few glass pieces, tried it with varying amounts of herb, etc. A friend last night had the same experience as me. I'm gonna contact VG for a return or to perhaps try a different oven, just in case there's issue with the one it shipped with. I want this to work out but at this point might just order another tinymight or something.

I am not looking to chase flavor, I initially wanted to suggest this for my partner as it checks off many of the boxes for her needs. I'd be ok with pax levels of paltry flavor IF there was no bitterness. As it stands, to me, this vape puts out gross, vile vapor, so yeah, in line with your nuke metaphor. :\
Try changing for a new battery also !

zor

Uh..........ok so I was prepping an email to dotmod customer support when I thought to try one last time. I cleaned the oven again and ran the unit with an empty oven a few more times to completely drain my battery (an arbitrary decision, I'm using the same ones I have for my TM). I had loaded a full oven (1.7g) of some very pungent CBD and turned the unit on, heat 2. As I waited for it to buzz, my dog hopped on my lap and knocked a bunch of shit off my desk, including the DotLeaf. One of the panels flew off, I quickly inspected it and seemed fine and it was still on, said what the hell and took a hit....uh, I swear it tasted better than before. Nursed the oven and there was no hint of that awful bitterness, to the end! Turned it off, ground up some Sour Tangie, blah blah blah, had a seemingly perfectly tasting experience!

No clue what the hell happened, going to try another oven later tonight, if it's good then I'm gonna offer it to my gf....perhaps get my own too!

thunderstealer1337

Since thunderstealer couldn't find any proof about melting drip tips I did a search again (like I've done before). Seems like last time this came up it was literally thunderstealer starting the rumor, with ME asking for proof since I hadn't seen anything anywhere. Then, like now, they left without showing anything.
lol, i already copied the guys post, review my own posts in this thread again....

i know your blind to anything negative on the dotmod, but read with eyes open please, also check reddit - you make it seem like i am lying.

I have nothing to benefit lying on some forum for vape products. Lets get this straight, I am not starting rumors or lying or making up some conspiracy... lol and sorry some ppl dont have the luxury to respond to forum posts everyday.

I already laid out the details and why this can happen
  1. over heating chambers - super common read the thread
  2. air path not lined up, heater part is exposed to air path
  3. mouth piece that is blocking heater/air path is plastic
  4. melting point of the plastic is lower then what we vape the herb at
your answer of it doesnt happen, is funny because these design flaws point that it can very well happen

Last edited:

maremaresing

It's ok @thunderstealer1337 . I'm sure there is some logical reason why you can't find any proof or indication of the delrin drip tips that come with the dot melting under normal use. (Combustion isn't normal use.) You don't have to move the goalposts or take shots at me.

I'm not blind to the faults of the dotleaf, or any vape. I see them so clearly that it's annoying, but am usually polite enough not to bring it up. This has been clear in my posting. I just won't stand for obviously wrong rumors being started by one person about a vape they have almost no experience with.

1. I don't argue with this one. I've experienced it myself and posted about it here, though not experienced the error since I got the 1.5. The company fixed this for people right away, and has provided top of the line warranty support. There are so many vapes that go years without any meaningful fixes or updates to obvious problems.
  2. Airpath definitely isn't lined up. This upsets you, and I think it's silly too, but it doesn't affect anything. And, unlike davinci, you can clean this weird turn. At some point you have to accept that this is a repurposed dotaio platform. That's never been a secret.
  3. There are many kinds of plastic, and this one SEEMS like it would have issues. But clearly it doesn't. I proved this to you and you still can't defend your claims. Also drop $5 on a different drip tip. The one that comes with the dotleaf is disliked by everyone, including me.
  4. It is lower than the temp we vape at, but even running the dotleaf on 445F for a session, there is no effect. This means that the temp of the vapor that comes through isn't high as high as you think, or the body of the vape keeps the tip well within it's temp range. I proved this to you. What more do you want?

As anyone can also see from my post history, I don't roll up into threads to throw shade on vapes I don't like. I'd expect that wouldn't be a welcome addition to any conversation.

Uh..........ok so I was prepping an email to dotmod customer support when I thought to try one last time. I cleaned the oven again and ran the unit with an empty oven a few more times to completely drain my battery (an arbitrary decision, I'm using the same ones I have for my TM). I had loaded a full oven (1.7g) of some very pungent CBD and turned the unit on, heat 2. As I waited for it to buzz, my dog hopped on my lap and knocked a bunch of shit off my desk, including the DotLeaf. One of the panels flew off, I quickly inspected it and seemed fine and it was still on, said what the hell and took a hit....uh, I swear it tasted better than before. Nursed the oven and there was no hint of that awful bitterness, to the end! Turned it off, ground up some Sour Tangie, blah blah blah, had a seemingly perfectly tasting experience!

No clue what the hell happened, going to try another oven later tonight, if it's good then I'm gonna offer it to my gf....perhaps get my own too!

Can I have your magical dog for a while? I have several electronic devices that could use the magic touch fix.

Last edited:

TeaCup

Hey guys and gals! As someone who doesn't use bongs, can someone here tell me about when I see all these water shots of people milking the shit out their bongs.........does the bong vapor get "whiter" (denser) when you see it all just sittin' in there, as opposed to watching the vapor go through just a regular glass stem??

What I mean is this - I can barely see any vapor coming through my stem in my version 1.5. Don't get me wrong, I'm blowing out a good amount. But I could never ever imagine, if I could magically put all the vapor that just came through my stem, and transfer it into a bong, that now the bong would look like one of those white walled videos. What I'm getting at is this - does my 1.5 work the same as those pocket rocket 1.0's? I've messaged Dotleaf and they swear everything is identical except for the way it handles the resistance. And maybe I'm just putting too much credence in those videos. Maybe there's just as much vapor coming through my stem and into my lungs as these bong videos???

I've tried 89,752 different ways to pack, grind and hit this little sucker and I feel it's really really close to being a fantastic hit, but I have to draw till I'm about to pass out from lack of oxygen......and if I stopped 5 seconds earlier, which would be waaaaaaaaaay better for my brain, I'd only be getting just a "respectable" hit. I like this thing way more than I thought I would. There's a weird smoothness about it when I'm pulling a hit out of it. I like hitting it better than the Edge I just got, but the Edge's vapor is just plain thicker, and I'm dyin' to get this closer to that so I can put the Edge in a drawer for good. Had a POTV One as my second vape and it died last year, so I figured I'd pick up an Edge for the longer battery. Damn if I don't find it boring as hell now. And loud, lol!

maremaresing

If it helps, I had a 1.0, and now a 1.5. I don't see a difference in performance between the two.

A few factors go into epic milkshots:

1) Light- Enough light source to catch the vapor and refract, intensifying the white
2) Glass- Yeah, a bong or bubbler will give a space for the vapor to build up. Even dry, it cools the vapor enough to make it heavier and stack up in the glass. With a Jhook it doesn't seem like anything is going through... until you exhale
3) Pack- A really tight pack won't let as much air through and will give lighter hits (but more hits). A loose pack will flow a lot of air which dilutes vapor. I get best results fitting between .22 and .25 in my oven.
4)Herb- Some herb doesn't give as much vapor as others. This is due to moisture (a lot of "vapor" is just water vapor), strength, and other things.
5) Temps. I can milk with temp 2, but on temp 4 I can really get epic shots. I can take an oven to coffee brown in 5 rips on temp 4, and get shots like this

dD5MAdN.jpg

TeaCup

@maremaresing Dude, you just saved me a shit ton of aggravation! I've been going bonkers with all this. 3 & 4 I knew......1 & 2 I didn't.

This is good, I have a scale sitting in my mailbox from Amazon since yesterday.

I also need to tell Alex, the rep whose been helping me from Dot......not sure if it's the same Alex as from here, but I owe him an apology, lol. I swore there had to be a difference!! Damn, I'm like everyone else......it sucks being wrong, lol.

Maremaresing, thanks man, this puts my mind more at ease now. Who knew that 89,753 may have been the one!

west-elec

I've tried 89,752 different ways to pack, grind and hit this little sucker and I feel it's really really close to being a fantastic hit, but I have to draw till I'm about to pass out from lack of oxygen......and if I stopped 5 seconds earlier, which would be waaaaaaaaaay better for my brain, I'd only be getting just a "respectable" hit. I like this thing way more than I thought I would. There's a weird smoothness about it when I'm pulling a hit out of it. I like hitting it better than the Edge I just got, but the Edge's vapor is just plain thicker, and I'm dyin' to get this closer to that so I can put the Edge in a drawer for good. Had a POTV One as my second vape and it died last year, so I figured I'd pick up an Edge for the longer battery. Damn if I don't find it boring as hell now. And loud, lol!
Lika all conduction vapes the vapour is densest at the beginning of the draw and tends to thin out as you pull. You may be drawing too long/too hard.
I am finding thickest result from 4 to 6 sec slowish draw followed by a pause, then exhale, then hit again. In the pause the vapour has built up and is thick again.

I recently got my 1.5 back from repair and have been very happy so far (thanks Alex). Zero combustion and nice quality clouds.
One thing I am really liking that hasn't been said enough about the Dotleaf is the almost complete lack of 'burnt popcorn' taste even at the end of a chamber on level 4. I have been using on 4 through a j hook and will keep hitting until the timer cuts out, then restart hit the booster and have several more to finish it off on max. Normally a conduction session like that would be pretty foul at the end, but not with the Dotleaf. You wouldn't say the flavour is amazing, but it is never bad even when cooked dark over several minutes.
This is a very big deal and makes the laid back drawn out session so much more enjoyable.

TeaCup

Two days in a row with two different strains...............now = huge clouds :whoa:

Nice! So what I did was put some tiny glass beads covering a third of the bottom, followed by a screen, loose leaf pack, topped off with a couple layers of more beads. I could get decent enough cloudage on level 3, which I in no friggin' way could do before. Turn it up to 3 and boost, and anything there and above, and it's nicely eatable!

Now, lol, here's the thing.......I have a somewhat hard time believing that I'd need to do all that just to get where I'm perceiving others to be at without the beads. Right??

BUT.......I don't care. Unless something's just a general pain in the ass to use, I really don't have a problem doing these steps. Infact I do like it. I like rituals, and this one definitely makes you have one, especially since you can't pack too much in, so your changing more often.................and with that, really, the only remotely somewhat pain in the ass job, which is to not get those fucking blinking white lights! I hate those things with a passion, lol!!). BUT.......yet again, so far so good with (usually) a minor enough fix. Purple blinking lights......bring 'em on, easy as shit to clear out. Soooooooooooo, all in all, like I said, the only gripe is with how you have to baby it, not the hugest deal anymore, even if it felt like it would be when I got it. Finally............NOW...........my Edge can take it's place in the "drawer"! Happy.

And completely out of the blue, I got my Stempod up and running and firing on all cylinders again. What a very kind weekend this has turned out to be!!!!! Stoked as hell.

Last edited:
TeaCup,
Reactions: BigJr48

johnrecon12

Got mine from VGoodiez, and I couldn't be happier. Decent device, heats quickly provides a full extraction and for the price is a good value.
I have not had any combustion or even black ABV as of yet usually only use on Temp 2 natively and temp 3 through a sipper water piece.
Not the be all end all but good VAS pickup in my estimation. For an Ecig company it does it's job well.

hardware

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a dotLeaf but unsure with all the mixed experiences people are having..

Currently have the Mighty, Crafty +, TinyMight (don’t like and selling atm), Ghost MV1, Davinci First gen and IQ2, Zeus GT.

Mostly only use the Mighty, but finding it too big and want something more portable

hardware,
Top Bottom