dotLeaf

Roundbhoy

Got my new tan oven last week and been using it every day, all was going well, probably had about 20 bowls in it with no problems at all until today.

First bowl of the day and while heating up I never got the usual vibration to let me know it was ready. Instead I got the horrible smell of combustion. I turned it off and let it cool and then opened the oven and it's all totally black no brown in sight. Very sad

Why do people always try to compare things to cars, thinking that something as close doored and highly regulated as the automobile industry could ever make a proper analogy?

If a bit of weed smoke in @jbm's lungs can harm him as much as a faulty airbag can then he seriously shouldn't be using any vaporizers, and it might be wiser to refrain from cannabis use all together.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@gluemonkey If a little bit of smoke is that hurtful one should get one of the many vaporizers that will never combust,rather than giving up all this shit together,but everyone is entitled to his wisdom :p.

maremaresing

Taffee bowle has issues, and people are like "yeah ok ship it back to get looked at/swapped". Dotleaf has issues and nobody wants to do that. Instead you go all Inigo Montoya.

It's a crying shame about these combustion events. I really hope it doesn't kill the tiny dotleaf. Running it head to head with another new vape this weekend has only confirmed how much I enjoy the dotleaf. It's a ultra compact device that hits like a mule kick to the face every time, even on temp 2 (which is what I'm testing with). Having temp 4 for ripping hard through glass (or just ripping hard) is something I sorely miss.

This is subjective, but I also love holding the dotleaf. It's like the perfect handfeel.

POST WITHIN A POST SO I DONT DOUBLE UP YAY

I think previously I'm thinking "it's a defective device what's the big deal" because to me that's normal for almost everything around me. Even my car has design flaws and recalls. Perhaps the forum would be more forgiving if the units were simply DOA and didn't heat up.

Combustion, however, is our kryptonite. Combustion next to a rubber gasket and a (high temp) plastic cap? Yeah, that's not just unpleasant, but borderline unsafe. I combust in vapes on occasion by accident, but I can see how this is different.

For me, combustion only occurs if I do X+Y , and the unit is 100% reliable otherwise. No surprises. I think Khelekgirls experience is similar. However, I think some of your units are not that. You shouldn't be having surprise combustion, ever. EVER.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Taffee bowle has issues, and people are like "yeah ok ship it back to get looked at/swapped". Dotleaf has issues and nobody wants to do that. Instead you go all Inigo Montoya.

It's a crying shame about these combustion events. I really hope it doesn't kill the tiny dotleaf. Running it head to head with another new vape this weekend has only confirmed how much I enjoy the dotleaf. It's a ultra compact device that hits like a mule kick to the face every time, even on temp 2 (which is what I'm testing with). Having temp 4 for ripping hard through glass (or just ripping hard) is something I sorely miss.

This is subjective, but I also love holding the dotleaf. It's like the perfect handfeel.

POST WITHIN A POST SO I DONT DOUBLE UP YAY

I think previously I'm thinking "it's a defective device what's the big deal" because to me that's normal for almost everything around me. Even my car has design flaws and recalls. Perhaps the forum would be more forgiving if the units were simply DOA and didn't heat up.

Combustion, however, is our kryptonite. Combustion next to a rubber gasket and a (high temp) plastic cap? Yeah, that's not just unpleasant, but borderline unsafe. I combust in vapes on occasion by accident, but I can see how this is different.

For me, combustion only occurs if I do X+Y , and the unit is 100% reliable otherwise. No surprises. I think Khelekgirls experience is similar. However, I think some of your units are not that. You shouldn't be having surprise combustion, ever. EVER.
If the company wants to spare themselves CS nightmare ,they should just offer straight no ask refund to all the customers who are unhappy with their product at this moment. People are bitchin about TM CS all day,it is also a small company,but they arent stingy about replacing faulty units with brand new ones and paying for return labels via DHL... If the company gives you a chance for a refund and you prefer to bitch about how unhappy you are about their product i agree it is purely your fault for staying on the train.
If you want a see CS done right, check Art-Of-Vapor... I bought a 50 euro product and it had a small defect and they send me another who also had a small defect and then they sent me a third one that was perfect and now i have 3 great pieces which blend well with my interior. If you have a reliable product ,it is not a problem to be generous with the few unlucky,but when the number of problematic units is high you just cannot afford that.

Last edited:

maremaresing

With the reminder that I paid for my unit and am not affiliated with any vape company, I'd like to get back to using this thread as a repository for my enthusiasm for the dotleaf.

Driptips arrived (ahead of time) from fastech last week. I went with a gold theme this time, and this particular tip was my surprise fav. Believe it or not, I managed a whole session at temp4 from it, without realising it. I barely had the airport open, and was taking fast 3-4 second draws. The AFC ring has come loose but, if I can fix that, it might be my new fav for on the go.

Ljsw13G.jpg

Speaking of on the go- I was just watching some miqro reviews and really wish I had a small keyring carrier for a second oven. The ovens are so small, smaller than the other vape's ovens, that it really lends itself to backup portability. With the battery life so good on the dotleaf, it's not like you'd need a spare battery for anything but a weekend away from civilization.

As an interim solution, it occurred to me that when a load is finished in the dotleaf, it's shrank down quite a bit. When I start getting draw resistance, I know a load is almost done, because the suction is clumping it around the screen.

At that point it freely dumps out, leaving a mostly spotless oven. So you could just bring one of these tiny pill bottles with a second load measured out and dump it in. The oven rim acts as a funnel of sorts, preventing overflow spillage.

Something like this?

This of course negates the whole purpose of swappable ovens, but could be for emergency backup when you use more than you thought you would on the go.

zhoos

Love this style of vape I think, (think Milaana). Reminds me of my Firewood 1, and hitting the Crafty through the wpa "native style" when I'd lost the cooling unit.

A cool fix for the mouthpiece getting hot could be to put a piece of silicon over the mouthpiece. I was using the Firewood this way. Marc was shipping Firewoods with one included at the time. I also saw a picture of someone connecting a Plenty cooling coil this way. I do imagine it's fine though.

Last edited:

maremaresing

I assure you that fasttech is part of the problem. :mad:

Anyways, I love these Desce bags. My desk looks so tidy with the dotleaf in it's pouch next to the EVO, all squared away.

Deecee

Enjoying this more on a waterpiece, still using setting 2 and 3. Not currently combusting but I often get issues of 3 light even though contacts will be visibly clean. A wipe with iso on both contacts seems to fix it every time so far. Have to Use qtip with iso on oven screen every so many sessions because oil from flower coats the screen fast depending on strain.

I still prefer having more control over extracting my hit from my flower, I wish the heating was on demand then I could conserve more.

Deecee,

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
I have had nothing but bad luck with the DL. Originally ordered a couple months ago. First unit arrived with the OG oven and it would not recognize the oven. 5 separate emails and a couple weeks, I sent back my unit and they sent me a new one with the black heater. I used it about 4 times, performance was just ok, then it stopped recognizing the oven. A couple more weeks they finally send a new tan oven and it works but the performance is a joke. I also recently picked up a POTV One and the One set at 400 cranks 2x the vapor of the DL at 4.

I'm about to demand my money back. Seems like to fix the problems they took all the performance out of it.

Anyone else notice a decrease in performance with each new heater?

Am I missing something here?

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I have had nothing but bad luck with the DL. Originally ordered a couple months ago. First unit arrived with the OG oven and it would not recognize the oven. 5 separate emails and a couple weeks, I sent back my unit and they sent me a new one with the black heater. I used it about 4 times, performance was just ok, then it stopped recognizing the oven. A couple more weeks they finally send a new tan oven and it works but the performance is a joke. I also recently picked up a POTV One and the One set at 400 cranks 2x the vapor of the DL at 4.

I'm about to demand my money back. Seems like to fix the problems they took all the performance out of it.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Using the tan one right now and at 3 it's heavy hits

maremaresing

No idea what that is. The heaters changes are just the outer casing. All the functional internals are the same. Hope they give you a refund or sort you out.

Dotleaf is seriously the heaviest hitter I've used, of any vape, on temp 4. This includes desktops and butane vapes. If you aren't getting that, then something is horribly wrong. Even on temp 2, I get great vapor production.

RobbIt

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Using the tan one right now and at 3 it's heavy hits
I was one of the first in on this device (and an extra oven) based upon my generally good experience with my Dotmod.
I had a spontaneous combustion issue which I reported to Dotleaf CS. The CS Manager replied with detailed instructions on battery swapping oddities and other idiosyncratic adjustments that I should make, along with the admonition that I had to do a deep deep iso cleanse to get the burnt stench from the oven. Well I did the deep deep cleanse and it still smells, albeit less.
Then I asked the CS Manager for new ovens. She asked for pics of my two ovens. After I sent those, she replied that I apparently have the ultem oven and that if I had any future cracking, Dotleaf would be happy to give me the option of PURCHASING new ovens. Well, I guess that would solve MY PROBLEM with the obvious design defects in the multiple versions of their oven (and maybe the entire device). They are considering my renewed request for replacement ovens. Come to think about it, I think I’m going to just ask for a refund of my entire purchase. I’m a fan of the Dotmod, so it’s too bad they are off to such a weak start in the cannabis world.

maremaresing

Yikes! Alex sent me replacements before I even asked. Even when I was just wanting to buy them.

Alex@dotMod.com

Seriously, I still think the dotleaf is the best thing since sliced bread, but the level of return/replacement service I'm getting from furna is so reassuring. Sure, I'm unhappy, but it will all work out with a working vape or a refund. Dotleaf should do that. If firmware can't be updated over usbC, mail swap it out for people. Can't be that many of these in the wild right now to fix.

Last edited:

RobbIt

😡🥵

RobbIt,
Reactions: arb

Deecee

Another combustion event after battery change, it combusted the entire load this time.

I 5 clicked off then turned back on, how do you you prevent a combust after battery change?

Deecee,
  • Sad
Reactions: arb

maremaresing

It's almost as if your unit is broken and you should return it for replacement. Or hold onto it forever. Fast friends forever. Never letting each other be repaired in this life.

Or you can join us in the working dotleaf camp and have it rock your world every single time.

Last edited:
maremaresing,

Lozo

I've been using mine daily for the last two weeks now (or is it more??) and have had no further combustion issues since that first day. I agree with @maremaresing that this is a strong hitting unit! I've been running it through a J-Hook starting at 3 then finishing on 4 but have recently tried an adjustable airflow drip tip and can enjoy level 4 now with that; there was no way I could use the drip tip that came with the Dotleaf on anything past level 2.

@Deecee whenever I've changed batteries I've always done it and started with a cold / cool unit; I've found it cools down pretty quickly but other than that I don't do anything special.

Edit: Typical, posted the above and what happened next...combustion! Cold unit, new battery, nothing changed and ended up with a smoking chamber....back to the not trusting it stage again......

Last edited:

Easywider

Simple is the way

Certainly sounds like you are missing a properly functioning unit.
Level 4 should hit like a max heated vapcap, dense vapour that will white wall a bong. But only if you draw slow enough to not overpower the speed of extraction.

My newest tan oven has been treating me well with no combustion incidents, I did notice that I need to tamp it down firmer to get the same level of extraction as the previous oven. I was wondering if that was all in my head.

I also noticed some inconsistencies. Like I've had 2 back2back sessions on lvl2 that produced very dark ABV and 2 back2back sessions on lvl4 that produce light brown abv. More testing needed but seems like there are still maybe some resistance anomalies.

I wonder if there's a way to test resistance on our tanks and see if there are different OHM readings between them.

@Deecee is the unit off when you remove the battery and then you cycle it back one when the new one is inserted? I believe 2 of my combustion events were from battery changes. I haven't had it happen though since the new tank. I turn the unit off, swap the battery and turn it back on.

Last edited:
Easywider,
Reactions: BeeSawd

Deecee

Certainly sounds like you are missing a properly functioning unit.
Level 4 should hit like a max heated vapcap, dense vapour that will white wall a bong. But only if you draw slow enough to not overpower the speed of extraction.

My newest tan oven has been treating me well with no combustion incidents, I did notice that I need to tamp it down firmer to get the same level of extraction as the previous oven. I was wondering if that was all in my head.

I also noticed some inconsistencies. Like I've had 2 back2back sessions on lvl2 that produced very dark ABV and 2 back2back sessions on lvl4 that produce light brown abv. More testing needed but seems like there are still maybe some resistance anomalies.

I wonder if there's a way to test resistance on our tanks and see if there are different OHM readings between them.

@Deecee is the unit off when you remove the battery and then you cycle it back one when the new one is inserted? I believe 2 of my combustion events were from battery changes. I haven't had it happen though since the new tank. I turn the unit off, swap the battery and turn it back on.
It started to cycle but was shutting off with red light because battery was low. I waited 30min so it wouldn't be hot, changed battery, then 5 click off then 5 click on. I 3 clicked to start session and instant combust. I can get 2 or 3 different sessions from a single bowl pack on most devices so I'm not vaping multiple bowls in a session.

Normally with the dotleaf I can get one session at level 2 and one at level 3 and if im lucky I can get a 3rd session at lvl 3 in with the same bowl pack if the abv still has moisture and still sticking together when I stir.

I havent tried level 4 yet, I'm scared lol.

Top Bottom