dotLeaf

Deecee

@vapen00b Good points there.

Ok then we both have the exact same setup and usage. My screen get's coated with material too, but I pack things full. Also, to me, the airflow is great. So this must be subjective. It's not bad like a packed full dynavap or thermavape t1. Also, I notice the holes don't clog, and you can just knock the material off cleanly, so there must still be airflow there.

Have you tried any of my suggestions about using a generic screen or something? Speaking of the dynavap, the metal screens for it probably fit there. I have spares and should try that for you.

The thing I DO like about this device is I've never inhaled plant material. That screen and a good pack stops it.

Note: this isn't me saying you are wrong. I'm just enjoying the conversation and thinking up mods and possibilities.
Not yet I dont know what size yet and I want to get multiple because I already know my issue. That screen is getting coated with resin fast I need a set of like 20 screens so when one gets too dirty switch to next until I can clean them all at once. I go out often where I dont have access to my cleaning things so extra screens should solve my issue.

dotleaf_Alex

Company Rep
Not yet I dont know what size yet and I want to get multiple because I already know my issue. That screen is getting coated with resin fast I need a set of like 20 screens so when one gets too dirty switch to next until I can clean them all at once. I go out often where I dont have access to my cleaning things so extra screens should solve my issue.
im working on a service pack with all replacement orings and screens. should have some up soon.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Got the Davinci OEM IQ spacers. They are just slightly too large.

fK8bOxE.png

Costly thing to try, but I had to try it. Should have just ordered the spacers from the EU that the other poster uses.
Well instead of trying to fit one piece as a spacer, why dont use some 3mm terp pearls ,rubies,boro whatever.. Fill the the chamber to the desired height and add screen on top. I imagine it would add some convection to the game too :)).. I have no idea what is the size of the ceramic chamber but if 3mm is too big, there are 1mm and 2mm ,i imagine.
Alternatively if you dont wanna mess with multiple beads you can always get a big one and add a screen on top. Wasnt there some kind of pearl spacer in the IQ ?

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hey mate,

to me this looks charred and not combusted (fully black, resulting in black ash when crumbling). However, I‘d absolutely agree that this should not happen at setting 2 (temp 4 would make it this dark, from my observations. I’m sure @khelek41girl and others can chime in on this :)).
To try to be helpful: did you clean both contacts, tank and internal spring connector prior to using? Also, did you start your session from cold?
Hoping one of these has been the case for you and it’s user fixable!

Please let us know. My black chamber are finally due to arrive soonish. How‘s everyone’s report so far about them? Any new insights?

Much love to all of you out there. Stay safe and healthy

Deecee

Hey mate,

to me this looks charred and not combusted (fully black, resulting in black ash when crumbling). However, I‘d absolutely agree that this should not happen at setting 2 (temp 4 would make it this dark, from my observations. I’m sure @khelek41girl and others can chime in on this :)).
To try to be helpful: did you clean both contacts, tank and internal spring connector prior to using? Also, did you start your session from cold?

Please let us know. My black chamber are finally due to arrive soonish. How‘s everyone’s report so far about them? Any new insights?

It tasted like combustion and was smoke not vapor. All the charred parts were touching the sides the core was still brown. smoke was rolling out of the top and it smelled like combustion.

And yep started from the cold, I have to vape outside and keep everything in smell proof containers where I live lol.

If thats the issue its still a manufacturer issue, whats the point of a portable vape you can only vape indoors in cold months?

*edit* also the cold thing makes no sense because why would it start failing all of a sudden when other times I vaped it fine at similar cold temps?

Last edited:
Deecee,
Reactions: vapen00b

Jah75

It tasted like combustion and was smoke not vapor. All the charred parts were touching the sides the core was still brown. smoke was rolling out of the top and it smelled like combustion.

And yep started from the cold, I have to vape outside and keep everything in smell proof containers where I live lol.

If thats the issue its still a manufacturer issue, whats the point of a portable vape you can only vape indoors in cold months?

*edit* also the cold thing makes no sense because why would it start failing all of a sudden when other times I vaped it fine at similar cold temps?
I think they mean did you start from cold as in was the chamber room temp or was this a chain event and this was the second chamber in a row (leaving the oven warmer and the resistance measurement possibly off). I think in the past it was posited that the combustion could be wonky calculations on the board itself and it relocking resistance at the falsely elevated resistance resulting in more voltage supplied to bring up to temp (a temp that, by using an incorrect variable, is waaaay off and poof*combustion)

Deecee

No I only do a session a time, wait until an hr or more later when I need a refresh. My preference is convection for this reason but super cold air turns into superheated air when using a stempod si even on water. I bought the dotleaf because I needed a winter vape and I knew it wouldnt suffer from the same issue. I really wanted the iq2 but couldnt afford it, its on the "approved vaporizers" list for our state. We are not allowed to use devices capable of combusting.

I'm disabled, dont receive disability and would love to just have 1 reliable vape, I cant afford to keep buying frogs to find my prince.

shopdognyc

Want to chime in that Dotleaf did good and sent me 2/3 tanks/bowls with the black, without tops.

Still waiting on an update on the third.

shopdognyc,

Deecee

No I only do a session a time, wait until an hr or more later when I need a refresh. My preference is convection for this reason but super cold air turns into superheated air when using a stempod si even on water. I bought the dotleaf because I needed a winter vape and I knew it wouldnt suffer from the same issue. I really wanted the iq2 but couldnt afford it, its on the "approved vaporizers" list for our state. We are not allowed to use devices capable of combusting.

I'm disabled, dont receive disability and would love to just have 1 reliable vape, I cant afford to keep buying frogs to find my prince.
A very nice person sold me an IQ2 for a good price, I haven't given up on this device will keep an eye on the thread for updates.

Awesome people on FC!

blackstone

Anybody looking to half the oven (or less) in a conduction or hybrid vape like this, I have had great success by unravelling S&B liquid drip concentrate pads, trimming to size if necessary and re-shaping.
I did this with a PAX3 even with the half pack lid, and with my new Alfa, and I've done it for years inside the S&B capsules with those vapes.
You dont have to make the pads as densely packed as they come standard so can make them very open and airy if you like.
Be sure to remove any loose wire ends from trimming and watch your fingers on the wires when you're shaping.
With conduction, it tends to work best on the intake side of the load, so in this vape it might be best to put the pad in the oven below the load. (Try both ways though!)
As pointed out, objects placed like this might even increase the convection effect.

Got the Davinci OEM IQ spacers. They are just slightly too large.
Just to inform, abrasives like wet & dry sandpaper can work on glass, and clever use of a small slow speed drill can help with cylindrical objects. Sounds like a lot of sanding though depending on their size!
You can also fire polish out the sanding marks in some glass with a powerful gas torch.

That's a pity. It's hard to be certain of anything with a new release vape though.
I feel bad for you because I got a cosmetic seconds Alfa vaporizer very cheaply from their site and it is solid and works surprisingly well. Not sure if similar would work for you but sounds like anything would be better for you right now.
They are sort of well proven to work at this stage, the warranty is good and they are near me if I need service help.
Pax2 might have done you too but they can get hot, and not so tasty, with a restricted draw.
Hope you get something to work for you without much more expense or trouble.

Edit- just saw that you've got an IQ, best of luck with it!

Deecee

Hey mate,

I had to clean the bottom contact before to get the oven to work (triple white light of death), I read on here that cleaning with iso might help so I wiped both contacts with iso.

I thought it might be the cold is throwing off the temp control and its heating more. Just doesnt make sense that its overheating so much when it was being perfect before.

When it works right it has a dab level kick.

Issues with the contact causes overheating though? I'm scared to try again cause I hate wasting expensive bud to have it combust.
Paying $89 for a 5.66g of flower here, why that weight? Cause Ohio has to be different, also anti marijuana advocates are on the board lol.

Deecee,

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I had to clean the bottom contact before to get the oven to work (triple white light of death), I read on here that cleaning with iso might help so I wiped both contacts with iso.

I thought it might be the cold is throwing off the temp control and its heating more. Just doesnt make sense that its overheating so much when it was being perfect before.

When it works right it has a dab level kick.

Issues with the contact causes overheating though? I'm scared to try again cause I hate wasting expensive bud to have it combust.
Paying $89 for a 5.66g of flower here, why that weight? Cause Ohio has to be different, also anti marijuana advocates are on the board lol.

hey man. I hope you’re issues will be solved soon. Please keep us updated. Really curious to know what’s going on and sharing feedback is a valuable resource for everyone including @dotleaf_Alex at al.

I thought I could report back with good news about the replacements eventually. Infact, what I received was a tiny envelope with two packs of spare o-rings - instead of two black tanks that I was due to receive, eventually.
Already got a reply from Ace and it obviously looks like there had been a communication error and the order notes were overlooked by the person packing.. Well, it happens - though a bummer for sure. Hoping for “third time is a charm”. Waiting for my chance to get back on board.
Ironically - again - I received the Aisvape Trio contender. Still trying to get rid of that awful silicone and flintstone smell, so no small and discreet swappable tank dry herb vape working for me right now. Lol 🥸

Deecee

hey man. I hope you’re issues will be solved soon. Please keep us updated. Really curious to know what’s going on and sharing feedback is a valuable resource for everyone including @dotleaf_Alex at al.

I thought I could report back with good news about the replacements eventually. Infact, what I received was a tiny envelope with two packs of spare o-rings - instead of two black tanks that I was due to receive, eventually.
Already got a reply from Ace and it obviously looks like there had been a communication error and the order notes were overlooked by the person packing.. Well, it happens - though a bummer for sure. Hoping for “third time is a charm”. Waiting for my chance to get back on board.
Ironically - again - I received the Aisvape Trio contender. Still trying to get rid of that awful silicone and flintstone smell, so no small and discreet swappable tank dry herb vape working for me right now. Lol 🥸
So I'm pretty sure its the cold, the only reason I know about this cause being familiar with temp control in ecig vaping. Also I was willing to sacrifice more meds to fill it up one more time so I could test a theory.

So temp control chips are constantly monitoring the resistance of your heater or wire. Extreme heat or cold will change that resistance making the math off and it heats too much or possibly not enough. I filled up the oven outside, its very cold out there so tank is already super cold to touch, (I had to set it down on a cold surface to fill) I take the tank back inside, I rest the metal contact on my lip until I feel that the contact is no longer cold.

I go back outside and it vaped like it did the first time (perfect no combust), I dunno how this issue gets fixed and if its the really the problem or just random but would love to hear others thoughts.

maremaresing

I've been really enjoying taking my dotleaf outside lately to vape. It's just not something I've done really, because nothing I've had felt discreet enough. At least in this case it looks like an ecig. Kind of a nice experience. I can't test your point deecee because I'm only coming from inside, and the unit isn't very cold. Hopefully dotleaf finds your feedback helpful.

Even more exciting, I found out half packing works great! You don't even need a spacer (after all that lol)! I picked up on something @Deecee mentioned, I think, and a lightbulb went off. I just half pack it at the bottom using the included tool. Then, when the unit is first used, the "puck" slides to the top of the chamber and stays put. This still gets conduction from the walls, and probably a bit of convection through the middle. The first couple pulls I thought it combusted, because the clouds were huge. But nope, still partly green, with lots more pulls left in it.

Consider me excited. This vape gets better every day.

edit: Oh yeah @Deecee later in the load I got that "sucking through a straw" resistance. Exactly like hitting a solo. It's fine for me, but now I know what you mean. This never happened when I full pack, because the load is kept off the screen until the end. I'll cut up one of my mesh screens to see if it improves things. :)

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
As an update on my front, I received a notice last night that a replacement oven is headed my way. Pretty intrigued what oven that is, in the meantime I've seen a white one on vaporents? There needs to be a list of oven versions ha. But again, given that it is early-ish Feb and all I complained about was a frazzled o-ring (for which I already have received a replacement), I'm pretty impressed with how they've seemingly turned it around...

Also, will definitely try the half-pack @maremaresing . I've recently ended up packing my bowls as solid little pucks, where I first drop a spacer in, then fill the bowl, then squash it all down with the second spacer and put that in as well. Definitely a harder draw, but I kinda like that given the sippy vibe of the machine.

sunyata,

dotleaf_Alex

Company Rep
As an update on my front, I received a notice last night that a replacement oven is headed my way. Pretty intrigued what oven that is, in the meantime I've seen a white one on vaporents? There needs to be a list of oven versions ha. But again, given that it is early-ish Feb and all I complained about was a frazzled o-ring (for which I already have received a replacement), I'm pretty impressed with how they've seemingly turned it around...

Also, will definitely try the half-pack @maremaresing . I've recently ended up packing my bowls as solid little pucks, where I first drop a spacer in, then fill the bowl, then squash it all down with the second spacer and put that in as well. Definitely a harder draw, but I kinda like that given the sippy vibe of the machine.
Original Ultem
Ultem with reworked top transition to prevent tearing of oring
black PBT (short batch) for immediate resolution to cracking
Tan PBT (Mass production) current version going out with all new devices and chamber orders...

Severmore

Original Ultem
Ultem with reworked top transition to prevent tearing of oring
black PBT (short batch) for immediate resolution to cracking
Tan PBT (Mass production) current version going out with all new devices and chamber orders...
Hiya @dotleaf_Alex,

Are you guys now at the point where those of us with original cracked Ultem herb tanks can request an exchange for the new Tan PBT units?

I’ve yet to see cracks developing on the bottom of my single black PBT tank, even after a combustion event (which was my fault for starting/stopping/restarting a heat cycle without allowing for a proper cool down period). I’m pretty happy with this, as it seems the new material is much more robust!!!

dotleaf_Alex

Company Rep
Hiya @dotleaf_Alex,

Are you guys now at the point where those of us with original cracked Ultem herb tanks can request an exchange for the new Tan PBT units?

I’ve yet to see cracks developing on the bottom of my single black PBT tank, even after a combustion event (which was my fault for starting/stopping/restarting a heat cycle without allowing for a proper cool down period). I’m pretty happy with this, as it seems the new material is much more robust!!!
yes if you experienced a failure within the first couple weeks of purchase you can email in for that.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
yes if you experienced a failure within the first couple weeks of purchase you can email in for that.
Does that mean that the warranty on the tanks is 14 days ?
What if someone bought a few tanks that havent used yet,but can crack eventually ?

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Jah75

Jah75

What if someone bought a few tanks that havent used yet,but can crack eventually ?
yeah - doesn't bode well that there is a time limit on finding a known defect /shrug

Jah75,

maremaresing

Nice thing about updating the oven is nobody has to ship their device back to get satisfaction! But early adopters should be set right if they have issues. I'd also like to add that 1 year warranty is usually the minimum in the vaporizer world, not the 90 days that is standard in the ecig world. And ovens are intended for longer use than atomizer tanks (which two week coverage would be fine on to identify any issues). And that the scenario that causes cracks is very rare and might not show up in the first weeks for ultem oven users. New ovens don't crack, so two weeks might be enough to identify a DOA oven.

That being said, my personal experience with dotleaf CS is that they care more about happy users than arbitrary time limits. They go out of their way to make things right if you contact them directly.

Last edited:

dotleaf_Alex

Company Rep
yeah - doesn't bode well that there is a time limit on finding a known defect /shrug
To clarify a bit. It is not a set in stone time frame that we specified, however we do try to take into account any variables and extenuating circumstance for anyone who emails in. we are looking for customer satisfaction and the ability to provide that. With that being said, the heating chamber has always been considered a wear/replaceable component which is one of the reasons we made them so easily removed and offer them on the site. Depending on care/upkeep and amount of use these could last you a good long time however with no cleaning and upkeep it is possible that time will be dramatically reduced. We have had a large number of customers using their ultem chamber for several months with no issue at all which is why we have expressed the failure within the first few weeks of use. I hope this helps explain it a little better and gives you some peace of mind. Again, we are a very small team doing our best and we appreciate everyone's understanding with all this.

leveltree

never wanted to beat that one ;)
Hello thread!
been reading so far but first question: since the breaking and contact issues seem solved but combustion continues to be a phenomenon - how often does this actually happen?

I don't like the thought of it happening occasionally, but I just realized there's not really an estimate on the occurrence.

It would be interesting to hear how many have never had it happen, how many some times/often and how often.

@dotleaf_Alex thanks for taking the time to explain such issues. Most issues coming up here really need an answer from the makers and actually getting them helps.

arb

Semi shaved ape
To clarify a bit. It is not a set in stone time frame that we specified, however we do try to take into account any variables and extenuating circumstance for anyone who emails in. we are looking for customer satisfaction and the ability to provide that. With that being said, the heating chamber has always been considered a wear/replaceable component which is one of the reasons we made them so easily removed and offer them on the site. Depending on care/upkeep and amount of use these could last you a good long time however with no cleaning and upkeep it is possible that time will be dramatically reduced. We have had a large number of customers using their ultem chamber for several months with no issue at all which is why we have expressed the failure within the first few weeks of use. I hope this helps explain it a little better and gives you some peace of mind. Again, we are a very small team doing our best and we appreciate everyone's understanding with all this.
I thought you were a major ecig maker?

Top Bottom