dotLeaf

bkkbob

Obsessive Collector
I appreciate that DotMod has been responsive to me with respect to the oven replacements, they are sending me the current one now. One thing that puzzles me, is that most of their devices (not the DotLeaf) are available on 3FVape unbranded. I don't understand if they just buy these in quantity and white-label them or if the Chinese brand copies their products. It's very unusual and I have been wondering about this for some time. Initially, they refused to exchange my oven, until I asked to speak to management, then I got a very pleasant and accommodating phone call from a woman that claimed to be the product manager and she immediately sent out a replacement. She was clear that they were still looking for a permanent solution. In fact, that replacement was missing a lid, and Alex is sending I guess what they deem to be the final version now, with the lid on it.

bkkbob,
Reactions: Xclerk
My Crafty+ battery bit the dust and is now on its way to Oakland. Tried smoking a joint again today, and half a gram didn't get me close to what one bowl in the craft did. I'm pretty confident in the dotLeaf now, though since I'm in Canada I have to buy local. I can see that the tan chambers are now on the DotLeaf store, is there any ETA/sightings on when the new tan tanks will hit retailers? I'm fine to use a cosmetically cracked tank if such a thing occurs, but I don't want to be vapeless again with my backup in the mail.

I thought you were a major ecig maker?

From what it seems, I think dotLeaf is its own division. dotLeaf's Contact Us doesn't mention dotMod, and its address is at a different suite at the same address. I'd assume there's regulatory reasons that it would be easier for dotLeaf to be a separate entity and team, even if it's literally in the same building. Also, some of you don't appreciate Alex enough, this dude's gotta be getting FLOODED and this is much better support than I experience from most tech companies.

A suggestion for the team, once all the bugs are kinked out I think you should be marketing this harder to the online vaporizer shops and the weed space. Here in Canada most of the retailers are vaping shops, and while most shops will have an "alternative" section where they'll usually have a PAX and a couple Utilians, maybe a dynavap and an Arizer Air, that's not where most vapor consumers would first look. Also, there's a lot of details that I think vaporizer users would appreciate that is missing on your site. Most importantly is the bowl size, whether its in volume or the average amount of of a gram it fits. And since 18650s are much less common in the vaporizer market, a recommended spec for capacity and amperage would be helpful.

Last edited:

maremaresing

3FVape sells authentic Dotmod modes/vapes as well as unbranded custom parts. This seems to be par for the course for the dotaio, where the aftermarket has created lots of custom backplates and such.

Also, some of you don't appreciate Alex enough, this dude's gotta be getting FLOODED and this is much better support than I experience from most tech companies.

I agree with this. Given that this is a new space and culture, they have adapted to our desires very well. CS from Dotleaf so far has been really responsive and good, though I can tell they are working at a breakneck pace every day to fulfill orders and emails. They even spun up a custom Discord channel as a last ditch to catch anyone who they might have missed or not helped fully.

In contrast, most vape manufacturers are not as good and we as a community have come to expect it from them. We give them so much slack because we've been shoveled subpar products and cs forever. None of this has been shown to dotleaf, and yet here they are, still replying and trying to make us elitists happy.

So far, Dotleaf has given me what I hoped for from a big ecig manufacturer coming into the dry herb space. A different design perspective on the same problems, backed by a wealth of ecig R&D. A product that is smaller, simpler, prettier, more potent, and a better value. GonG adapters included, not a $15 extra thing they make you buy (even though it costs pennies).

Just picked up my dotLeaf from Vapes by Enushi, and they told me that the new tan chambers are coming out but are delayed because of COVID, and will be here in about a month. They offered to put my info down and call me when they come in, great service.

I was anticipating for it to be small, and even smaller than my expectations when I saw the size of the case, but I was still surprised at how small it was when I opened the box! It's shorter than a bic lighter! Makes everything else feel huge, but still fits nicely in the hand. Giving it its first charge now.

maremaresing

@gluemonkey how do you like it?

I made this a week ago and have been using it since. I'm not sure the exact way this is sacrilege, but I do feel mildly guilty.

yf2KruS.jpg

I was thinking about how I wanted a more compact cooling driptip for temp4 on the go (or just outside watching the sunset). Something with lots of chambers, or a maze inside. Really wish I had a lathe so I could make what I'm thinking of, since it doesn't exist. But I'm good at taking what's around me and putting it to new uses.

Had my old trusty SubTank Nano sitting in a drawer for years. I quit, and never intend to pick up ecigs again, so it really needed to be tossed. But looking at it, I thought it might make a neat cooling stem. Popping out the bottom contact pin and washer left a decent sized hole that doesn't even need to be opened up more. Some filing and light drilling let me press it into a shallow delrin drip tip I'll never use.

ujFcW0Z.jpg

It's surprising how much I love using it now. Vapor is comfortable, even on temp4+boost. Plus, I can open up the smaller airports for easy draws, or the big airport to use as a carb. Feels and looks like a tank on top of a small box mod.

Easywider

Simple is the way

I made this a week ago and have been using it since. I'm not sure the exact way this is sacrilege, but I do feel mildly guilty.

yf2KruS.jpg

I was thinking about how I wanted a more compact cooling driptip for temp4 on the go (or just outside watching the sunset). Something with lots of chambers, or a maze inside. Really wish I had a lathe so I could make what I'm thinking of, since it doesn't exist. But I'm good at taking what's around me and putting it to new uses.

Had my old trusty SubTank Nano sitting in a drawer for years. I quit, and never intend to pick up ecigs again, so it really needed to be tossed. But looking at it, I thought it might make a neat cooling stem. Popping out the bottom contact pin and washer left a decent sized hole that doesn't even need to be opened up more. Some filing and light drilling let me press it into a shallow delrin drip tip I'll never use.

ujFcW0Z.jpg

It's surprising how much I love using it now. Vapor is comfortable, even on temp4+boost. Plus, I can open up the smaller airports for easy draws, or the big airport to use as a carb. Feels and looks like a tank on top of a small box mod.

This is like time travel back 10years in the ecig world, I'm seeing a 30w Hana DNA mod with your Kangertech tank, love it!

Steamer

I was more than happy to learn that DotMod had a project like this going on. I've been nothing but pleased with my aio so I dug a little deeper.

When it was first communicated in the Dotlounge fb group, I asked some technical questions and in a classic DotMod style (no offence here), they referred me to the webpage saying I could find it there. At that time it only stated that third party accessories fit (except for tanks and bridges), the chip has been modified and the temperature presets. I was a bit disappointed by the 'what the hell are you asking' attitude so I never really gave it a second thought.

What has been said here before about CS, I can only second that. I've owned 3 Dot devices before and I needed to contact them for every single of them:
- I ordered a limited release item but didn't realize that the item would be shipped from the US instead of France. Whitney cancelled my order and gave me a full refund.
- A PCTG tank went cloudy. Received a new one within a few days' time
- Lost a part of an RTA. Same as above

2 out of 3 problems were completely caused by my stupidity, and yet I wasn't charged anything at all. I've dealt with German high end manufacturers that don't provide this kind of CS.

Now, DotLeaf is a different company so I shouldn't really compare them. Also, their policy is slightly different (limited instead of lifetime warranty) but I have a good feeling about the company in general.

In essence, the DotLeaf is just a Dotaio, but with an oven instead of a tank and a revised chip. The oven I can't comment on since I only have very little experience with dry herb vaporizers, but the chip is what bothers me quite a bit.

The Dotaio has something called dry hit protection and can only be used with stainless steel coils. It's simple: 'calibrate' the resistance of your heating element at room temperature and an increase in temperature will correspond with a certain resistance, the chip detects this and controls the power. Since there is (gold plated) stainless steel and tungsten in the device, you're already looking at two different metals, two different temperature coefficient rates and an almost unpredictable behaviour when heating up and cooling down. Apart from that, the TCRs of both materials are very low and vary depending on the grade and manufacturer.

If you use SS316L for example, the increase in resistance caused by heat can change from 8.8% to 10%. A resistance of 0.5 ohms at room temperature (20°C) can thereby vary between 0.588 and 0.6 ohms at 220°C, which results in an error of 0.012 ohms or roughly 120°C. That's only variation in the quality of the metal, and the effects are quite dramatic. I can't tell what loose contacts will do to the resistance, but you really want to avoid this. As for the oven itself: the heating element is made out of tungsten which is even worse with only a 4.5% change in resistance.

I don't know the exact details of the DotLeaf chip, but this way of temperature regulation doesn't work anywhere near as accurate as a temperature sensor. Unless you use metals with a high TCR like nickel and titanium, but these come with some serious health concerns. There are more options though.

It's been about 24 hours since I picked it up, and here are my thoughts so far! Sorry for the giant post, I just wanted to get out as much information as I can on this thing as I could! I have a more limited experience with the variety of vaporizers I've used than I assume most people here have, and it will mostly be relative to my experiences with my Crafty+. There was a lot I went into this purchase unsure of, and a lot of thoughts I've had so far with it, so I'm hoping I can have answered some other people's questions, and some suggestions or inspiration for the dotLeaf team!

I'll start from the accessories, then the vape, then to using it, and finally my thoughts after using it; this writeup is much less formatted than I am making it sound. Enjoy!

The packaging is very nice, I really like the included case and it works really well with switching between the different accessories, which I'll touch more on later. It took me a minute to spot the grommet that hopefully makes it smellproof, which I know some people will appreciate. The included poker is fantastic and works very well with the bowl, I was worried with the long chamber that it'd be a pain to fill but I find pushing it in from the grinder with the poker and then packing it down with the wide end works well. The included brush works nice for cleaning, I haven't had to use it much so far. The included charging cable feels really cheap, but I've got plenty of USB-C cables anyways. The little bag with the green strip and the o-rings doesn't really have a good place for it, right now I have it horizontally in the slot the USB cable came in. I've done two modifications so far, I put a 3M poster strip on the top of the case so the foam won't fall out out when I open it, and I cut some of the foam that came in my battery's box to make the poker and brush slots higher and much easier to access.

65tubuU.png

The construction feels rock solid, it feels a bit surprisingly heavy for the size, but it's small enough to feel quality and not burdensome; it weighs 146g, my Oneplus 6T weighs 185g. The aluminum feels great with the slight beveling on the sides and the rounded door covers. It's a very attractive design and the battery mod influence doesn't read as "crazy nerd vape" which is something I miss about my PAX. Let's be honest, dry herb vaporizers aren't the most attractive pieces of hardware in the world, and I'd rather not be outside a club with a giant long mouthpiece or a bright blinking green light. The button is very pretty and feels quality while not being too stiff, and it's engraved, not a decal! I'm also loving the modular design, everything fits nicely and securely and being able to replace the battery is a huge, huge plus. I'm probably gonna pick up multiple chambers and swap them out when I want to refill on the go.

Coming from the Crafty+ this is a completely different experience. I really was not expecting how much of a difference heat up time makes, I like to taste the vapor during heat up and it really feels instant. It's great to sip, which is great compared to the long chugs I'd do with the Crafty+ (I'd set it on top of a mega pringles can on my desk so I could hit it without having to hold it the whole time). The sessions feel much more defined than they do on the Crafty+, and it doesn't feel like I'm spending forever extracting the endless vapor. It just feels like a smarter, snappier device, and it's making me realize how annoying the Crafty+ can be to use... I can also now understand the conduction taste difference, it reminds me of my old PAX 3, but its still very flavourful and the weed has personality. I've been using it at 200C (Temp 2) and I think two sessions with the same bowl is what I think is going to be my sweet spot for extraction and flavour. On my third bowl I put it to 210C (Temp 3) and I got a tiny fracture in the Ultem. I was expecting this to happen, and will be continuing to use it at 200C.

SeiCYeJ.png

Both of the bowl adaptors fit excellent, If you push them in they will grip the glass, which means with the 14mm tip you can pull the downstem too and not just the vaporizer if you're using a bong like me. I wouldn't recommend pushing it in if you're using a piece without a downstem, the 18mm pops out if I push it into my bong's joint, which is to be expected. You really don't have to push it in unless you want to catch the downstem, the POM seals easily. As for the mouthpiece, I will probably get an aftermarket drip tip (I'm thinking ultem ;D ) when I pick up the tan chambers next month because I don't really like the lip at the bottom, and I also like to rub my tongue on the mouthpiece when very high and the inside rim hasn't got the smoothest edge. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't, but I'm happy I have the flexibility. There's also no plastic mouthpiece taste to worry about, though I am noticing it is the component that smells the most weedy after use.

As for the performance, this is an awesome little box! I did three bowls (one with kief on top) yesterday to put it through its paces, and I barely pulled myself out from greening out, which I haven't had to do in a while! This is a hard hitting little box that makes very thick clouds. It's more of a sipper than a real chugger like the Crafty+ was, I saw a 2-6 second draw number in this thread and that's usually what I hit it for, and there's always a nice fog and consistent fog. It has pretty decent flavour, though I can understand what people mean by conduction taste now since the taste makes me nostalgic for my old PAX 3. The roof of my mouth gets a little dry and warm, but it's nothing bad.

It seems to favour better weed and a medium grind with a slightly firm pack, I'm putting in around 0.2g right now and I'm definitely still figuring it out. Any recommendations or techniques for the packing or weed humidity would be very appreciated! I get higher per session with this than with my Crafty+, and its much faster and easier to use and maintain. I'm also still experimenting with this, but I think for great performance through glass you need to turn the temperature up, which I will wait for the tan chambers to do. It was a fog machine in the bong when I had the kief in there though, that gave some really great milk, though I was a bit too high to be very scientific and only hit it once or twice well. I'm very excited to potentially use this for twaxing since I've seen great results with the kief and the elongated and removeable chamber would be great for it. It's gonna take a little longer for me to figure out the exact best way, but when the pack is right this thing makes some very thick vapor for a very tiny box.

If I was just going to bring it for a day out I'd probably get another oven or two and keep them in some sort of sealed bag or container, or maybe they'd fit with the vape in a Desce bag that I'll probably also pick up from Enushi when I get the tan chambers and drip tip. I was hoping there'd be somewhere in the case I could cut out and slot in a chamber or two for storage, but there're nowhere that would fit. Maybe a chamber caddy that could be carried on its own or loop onto the right of the case would be a nice accessory to offer. I'd pay up to 40 CAD for a premium chamber caddy that matches the device body or case and holds 2-4 ovens (I'd want 3 personally).

I charged after each session as my Crafty+ had so engrained in me, so it took me a minute to learn that it'll have a green/blue/red light depending on how much battery it has when in use. I initially thought there wasn't any way to check the battery without plugging it in, so that's awesome and is a pretty well thought out system. The battery is almost as big of a shocker as the heat up time compared to the Crafty+, I've yet to discharge it to red. I don't think another battery for swapping on the go would be needed unless you were looking to sesh this with a lot of people.

So far, I really like the dotLeaf. Fantastic form factor, great to use, and when you get the pack right, super good vapor production. Seems like the maintenance should be pretty light, and I think it's going to be a pretty flexible device too. I don't think I'd recommend this as someone's first vape unless you have someone to walk you through it as the packing requires a bit of knowledge, but otherwise its a very easy to use device. It's really great to see something new and great from a big manufacturer, I know people here love their artisan vaporizers but for us in countries with protectionist import laws and/or absurd shipping costs the number we pay can end up being double the number Americans see. With a battery it comes out to around $250CAD here. making it the cheapest vape I've bought since my Pulsar APX, and its a fantastic value.

tl;dr I really like it so far, especially the size, vapor production, modularity, battery capacity and accessories. It's really nicely designed, and is really good for the price. My only issues with it so far are that I need to learn to pack it better, and I want to get a more comfortable drip tip. I wouldn't buy this if its your first vape and you don't want to have to learn to pack it right, if you are turned off by the accessory box because you definitely will be using it at least for storage, or if you aren't a fan of the conduction taste. If you can't buy the tan chambers in yet or and are unsure if you want to buy now or wait for them to come with the tan chambers, from my initial impressions I would say this: If you want to really push its limits or use it to its best ability through glass and don't want to wait for the tan chambers, wait a month, but if you're fine to baby it to March I'd take the plunge.

Last edited:

maremaresing

@ everyone - Thanks for the kind words and likes on my Nano Driptip mod! I had it out watching the rain yesterday, with my new tan chamber on temp 3, and it was so pleasant to use. I'm still on the hunt for a very compact drip tip that is as pleasant, but it's a great stopgap. It's probably very stealthy as is for use in public.

@Dennis-vc Great detailed info from the ecig side of things! Glad to hear about the good CS. Very interesting info on the temp reading the dotaio has, and the limitations here. I agree that not having a temp sensor does hamper the design. dotleaf is tightening up their firmware to account for combustion events, and I can't deny that the device works without wild variances even now. But the limitations are there, and I appreciate your doing the math on it.

@gluemonkey WOW Great writeup! Your thoughts closely mirror my own. I'm very happy with my DEECE bags with the dotleaf, though there is a silicone cover I'm tempted by. Might be more seamless to use (and not risk dropping the bare unit on the ground) while out and about post pandemic.

I'm still hunting for the perfect drip tip. My favorite so far has been the one that came with my dotleaf, but it's shorter than yours. If yours is uncomfortable, maybe try filing down the edges? I also have a bunch more air flow control drip tips on the way, as well as an ultem tip. And there are yet more drip tips I want to buy. Drip tip acquisition syndrome (DAS?) is bad.

On the go storage of my ovens is something I've been thinking about too. Been considering cutting a bit of bicycle innertube to use as a fat rubber band that seals as well as holds things together. Would be much better to have a keyring tube or something.

Lozo

So I decided to get a Dotleaf hoping that most of the issues have now been rectified. My unit came installed with an older style chamber with the black gasket but I have a new tan chamber that I purchased additionally. Alex from CS has already sent out another tan chamber for me so that’s all good.

But I have now had 4 combustion events in a total of 8 usages, all with the new style chamber, I haven’t tried the old style chamber as I’m worried about further wastage.

This is what happened: normal room temperature, medium grind, loaded the oven, light tamp down, set Dotleaf to level 2 and waited for the buzz, even before it reached the buzz I could smell the burning; all material was completely black and burnt all the way through. Contacts were cleaned prior to each use.

When it did work it was a great little device but I’m annoyed at the waste and the lack of reasoning why this has happened, it is now back in its box until I hear back from Dotleaf.

Anyone else experiencing multiple combustion events? I had 3 in succession now.

Deecee

So I decided to get a Dotleaf hoping that most of the issues have now been rectified. My unit came installed with an older style chamber with the black gasket but I have a new tan chamber that I purchased additionally. Alex from CS has already sent out another tan chamber for me so that’s all good.

But I have now had 4 combustion events in a total of 8 usages, all with the new style chamber, I haven’t tried the old style chamber as I’m worried about further wastage.

This is what happened: normal room temperature, medium grind, loaded the oven, light tamp down, set Dotleaf to level 2 and waited for the buzz, even before it reached the buzz I could smell the burning; all material was completely black and burnt all the way through. Contacts were cleaned prior to each use.

When it did work it was a great little device but I’m annoyed at the waste and the lack of reasoning why this has happened, it is now back in its box until I hear back from Dotleaf.

Anyone else experiencing multiple combustion events? I had 3 in succession now.

Yes multiple times, did you start the vape outside in cold? Did you accidentally start the heat up then cancel and restart?

I'm dealing with the same issue, it will combust on setting 2 and 3, scared to use setting 4. Others are having the same issue but have given up completely. I'm waiting until the issue is found and vaping on another device for now. Its an extraction beast when it doesn't combust.

Lozo

Hey @Deecee thanks for the reply, I must have missed your combustion events on the thread, sorry. I read about one or two but thought they were more correlated to the cracks in the previous style ovens and I didn’t think anyone else had a few in succession.

It’s always been used inside and I started the heat up cycle only once on all occasions.

I do agree that when it works it’s a very enjoyable vape, good even extraction, small, easy to use and all the other positive attributes others have mentioned, it just needs to not burn anything now.

I'm still hunting for the perfect drip tip. My favorite so far has been the one that came with my dotleaf, but it's shorter than yours. If yours is uncomfortable, maybe try filing down the edges? I also have a bunch more air flow control drip tips on the way, as well as an ultem tip. And there are yet more drip tips I want to buy. Drip tip acquisition syndrome (DAS?) is bad.
I've been eyeing the SvoeMesto Figura MTL that Vapes by Enushi carries. I'm thinking the Ultem one!

WaveGroup__65634.1600884412.1280.1280.jpg

Hey @Deecee thanks for the reply, I must have missed your combustion events on the thread, sorry. I read about one or two but thought they were more correlated to the cracks in the previous style ovens and I didn’t think anyone else had a few in succession.

Since my review I've used it a bunch more times, and sad to say, I've combusted it 4 times. The first time I meant to do a second session, but pressed 5 to turn it off, and without thinking I turned it back on, and it easily combusted in the bong. The bottom fractured big time afterwards.

The next three times all happened in a row, I was trying to use it with the bong and I hadn't brought out the bong yet, so I turned it on to start it up, went to get the bong, and as soon as I inhaled, smoke. The next two times I have no clue, I'm guessing the ultem cools down much faster than the oven does. The first and third were in the bong, second was just the mouthpiece. Between the smoke and the paranoia of it happening again, not the least stressful high I've had.

I'm just happy I didn't get any complaints for the smell. It seems like as soon as you introduce oxygen it just goes kaboom. Was finally able to get one not combust, but packed too lightly, and waited for an hour just to be safe. Kind of sucks to have wasted almost a gram of weed when I'm trying to conserve for this month. It also sucks that the oven tastes super nasty after, so you can't even tell if its burnt or not the next bowl. The second of the three burning bowls I thought it was fine and I was just tasting the old oven, but it turned out to have combusted :( Definitely avoiding using this with the bong, at least until the tan chambers and maybe some kind of fix comes out. Also, avoid using finer ground weed! All but one of my combusts was with this flavourful and cheap preground stuff here that's a little finer than my normal grind, which sucks because that's like half of the weed on me at this point :/

Last edited:

Lozo

@gluemonkey sorry to hear of your issues too, so far all my combustions have been on the initial heat up but they've all been with the new tan chambers. It seems like once I get past the initial heat up phase I can use it and temp step up to level 3 and 4 with no signs of combustion but only on the older style chamber (black gasket version).

Lozo,
  • Wow
Reactions: Deecee

Deecee

@gluemonkey sorry to hear of your issues too, so far all my combustions have been on the initial heat up but they've all been with the new tan chambers. It seems like once I get past the initial heat up phase I can use it and temp step up to level 3 and 4 with no signs of combustion but only on the older style chamber (black gasket version).
Guess its not the ovens if they are all doing it, wonder if its the chip. Hopefully its something that can be fixed with an update, I'm also curious if the people that aren't having an issue have a different version of chip or something.

@dotmod_alex Do you have any info on whats going on?

maremaresing

@Deecee ^^^^^^^ That was my thinking as well. It's possible some of these are just straight up defective, or have bad chipsets. Those mixed in with others can muddy the results.

Did you accidentally start the heat up then cancel and restart?

IME this is the only thing that leads to combustion, and it will lead to that every time. The firmware takes a bad baseline. Now that I know, it's easy to avoid. I've been vaping exclusively in the cold outdoors lately and haven't gotten any combustion from that, on any chamber style.

I primarily use temp 3 and 4, but I use 2 and 1 for funsies sometimes. Really I use whatever I'm in the mood for, but usually want massive rips.

I've been eyeing the SvoeMesto Figura MTL that Vapes by Enushi carries. I'm thinking the Ultem one!

WaveGroup__65634.1600884412.1280.1280.jpg

You definitely want an ultem one, no matter what style you pick. Ultem/PEI matches so well with the rest of the dotleaf!

6hMsYJE.jpg

and so do DESCE bags!

94O2PBR.jpg

Deecee

@Deecee ^^^^^^^ That was my thinking as well. It's possible some of these are just straight up defective, or have bad chipsets. Those mixed in with others can muddy the results.

IME this is the only thing that leads to combustion, and it will lead to that every time. The firmware takes a bad baseline. Now that I know, it's easy to avoid. I've been vaping exclusively in the cold outdoors lately and haven't gotten any combustion from that, on any chamber style.

I primarily use temp 3 and 4, but I use 2 and 1 for funsies sometimes. Really I use whatever I'm in the mood for, but usually want massive rips.

You definitely want an ultem one, no matter what style you pick. Ultem/PEI matches so well with the rest of the dotleaf!

6hMsYJE.jpg

and so do DESCE bags!

94O2PBR.jpg
Def not the only thing considering all the responses.

maremaresing

Found a good holder for some spare ovens. Snipped off the protrusions and things fit ok. Keeps em off my desk.

YYhpLpc.jpg

Last night I did an entire session on Temp 4 with the subtank mp. All airports closed. By the end the top was getting slightly warm lol. Vapor was pleasant until the last few rips, and obviously huge clouds were had. This is the ABV from that session, and I could probably get another full session out of it.

qDjyBPX.jpg

maremaresing,

tilroh

Maybe a more experienced user can tell me how to put the black top seal back in. I was getting air leaking in between the oven and the top of the case so I unscrewed the brass adapter and removed the black seal for inspection. I put it back in place but screwing in the brass adapter pushes the seal out.

I've only had occasional combustion events after receiving 2 replacement old style amber ovens. I have no idea why, I clean the contacts.

tilroh,
Love the look of that! How is it to use? I like to hold my vape with my teeth when I have to use both of my hands, but I do love how the short tips look. I was worried that the vaporizer would get too hot for me to want to put my mouth on it but its nowhere near as bad as I thought, now I'm just wondering about airpath length.

gluemonkey,

maremaresing

@tilroh Assuming you have the oring turned the right way around, have you tried holding it up against the screw as you tighten things. That might help it not bunch up and pop out.

@gluemonkey I have an ultem tip on the way (That will arrive forever from now) that is more like the original short drip tip. I think that one is great. The super short ultem drip tip you see in the picture looks incredible, but is not comfy to use.

I've found that opening the airpath of the dotleaf with wider bore drip tips like that is almost worse than shortness. I seem to get more hot air than vapor, and there is a lot of it. Maybe a narrower opening directs all the hot air through your mouth without touching anything? Anyway, I can use that really short drip tip on temp 3 and 4, but it's very uncomfortable. Temp 2 is manageable, but not great for more than a handful of draws at a time.

Lastly, I notice that a full pack has a huge effect on how hot the vapor is when it comes out. Tighter pack makes cooler vapor, until the load is nearly done.

edit: I want to clarify, even when I say it's uncomfortable, thats just with random tips I'm trying. Temp 2 with the original short POM driptip is quite nice all the way through a session. I could take that out for a night on the town and not think anything of it.

But I also love how the dotleaf takes to tinkering with different tips and stems.

maremaresing,
Reactions: gluemonkey

maremaresing

Welcome! The green strip has little circle cutouts for the screw covers on the case (behind the plate). In case you wanted to swap out body parts for custom colors and later go to stock again.

maremaresing,
Top Bottom