dotLeaf

maremaresing

Depends on the grade maybe? There are types that are tested and vetted for fireproof natures and lack of offgassing. ~Aerospace Grade lol~ It's a new material to me, but I did see that a bunch of ecig stuff uses it, so maybe it's an established material for them. The dotleaf seems rife with ecig mindset, which is cool and completely different than the sedentary vape market.

I am not a plastics expert by any means. ymmv

Last edited:
maremaresing,
Reactions: RobbIt

Traveler

Mine might be coming in today? lol. The USPS tracking says its to be delivered today (but says its late) but that it is still in San Diego (I'm in Florida). I also have informed Delivery (service with USPS that shows images of all the letters that will be delivered today and lists packages being delivered today - it shows as that package being delivered today (but I'm confused why the tracking stops in San Diego and if it was scanned here in Florida this morning for informed delivery, then why didn't it update the tracking page...who knows - we will find out together this afternoon!)

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
How is the airflow? Restricted like Pax or open like Mighty?
Depending on the packing technique, it can be wide open or slightly restricted. You dont have to hard pack it like the Pax, so air flows at a decent pace. It's very comfortable to use.

How safe is this to use? What’s the airpath like? Is ultem safe being right against the oven? My understanding was it off-gasses at 170c?
The air path goes directly from the oven to the mouthpiece, so the air path is very isolated. The outside of the oven is made of Ultem, but the inside is made of aluminum heatsinks, ceramic oven, and a SS heater coil. The Ultem that they use has been proven to be inert and safe, so you dont have to worry about offgassing. It never gets hot enough that you cant hold it comfortably. The body of the vape itself is a solid block of CNC'ed aluminum that is coated, so it is safe as well, as there are no electronics even close to the heater or airpath. I feel very comfortable using this device. I have been using it every day since I got it lol. The only thing to worry about is going through too much herb! (The bowl is rather deep lol)

Traveler

Depending on the packing technique, it can be wide open or slightly restricted. You dont have to hard pack it like the Pax, so air flows at a decent pace. It's very comfortable to use.

The air path goes directly from the oven to the mouthpiece, so the air path is very isolated. The outside of the oven is made of Ultem, but the inside is made of aluminum heatsinks, ceramic oven, and a SS heater coil. The Ultem that they use has been proven to be inert and safe, so you dont have to worry about offgassing. It never gets hot enough that you cant hold it comfortably. The body of the vape itself is a solid block of CNC'ed aluminum that is coated, so it is safe as well, as there are no electronics even close to the heater or airpath. I feel very comfortable using this device. I have been using it every day since I got it lol. The only thing to worry about is going through too much herb! (The bowl is rather deep lol)
Im wondering if some SS or Ti nuts/washers could be used as a chamber reducer while still providing enough contact for conduction

maremaresing

Thanks for chiming in Khelek! Great to hear it's such a fantastic device, and I'm even more excited for mine. How do you clean it? ISO bath ok if you do a dry and burnoff after?

As far as chamber reducing, I'm wondering if the "concentrate pad" trick will work here. I also have some other ideas I'm eager to try. Of course, I'll only use CBD in this, so less worry of using small amounts or inconsistent effects as the load gets vaped.

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Im wondering if some SS or Ti nuts/washers could be used as a chamber reducer while still providing enough contact for conduction
With the chamber being made of ceramic, I wouldn't suggest using metal in it as a reducer. Concentrate pads could potentially work though, or even just a small ball of hemp fiber. I'll have to play around with that and see how it works.

Thanks for chiming in Khelek! Great to hear it's such a fantastic device, and I'm even more excited for mine. How do you clean it? ISO bath ok if you do a dry and burnoff after?
Honestly, cleaning is one thing I haven't had to do yet. The ceramic stays pretty clean for the most part. The lid is the only thing I've noticed that really gets dirty, and a quick wipe down with an alcohol pad seems to work perfect for that. And, if the oven does have to be replaced, its only $25 to replace it or get extras

khelek41girl,
Reactions: endof3d

Traveler

With the chamber being made of ceramic, I wouldn't suggest using metal in it as a reducer. Concentrate pads could potentially work though, or even just a small ball of hemp fiber. I'll have to play around with that and see how it works.

Honestly, cleaning is one thing I haven't had to do yet. The ceramic stays pretty clean for the most part. The lid is the only thing I've noticed that really gets dirty, and a quick wipe down with an alcohol pad seems to work perfect for that. And, if the oven does have to be replaced, its only $25 to replace it or get extras
hopefully as this thing sells and grabs some more market share it will lead to reduced capacity ovens being available

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
That is something that I have spoken to them about, along with a dedicated pod for concentrates as well. They seem to be very receptive about the idea of various pods, and even hinted that there might already be a few things in the works :)

Traveler

Big thanks @khelek41girl for all your contributions to this thread. Your videos where very informative and demonstrated the ease of sipping (mouth to lung technique) perfectly and accompanying clouds. Well done. Top of my list.
the MTL sipping is what has me most interested. Some friends who aren't normal vapers have issues with my usual convection-based vapes and being able to regulate their inhale for the best results. Plus - I do really like the way conduction vapor feels if that makes any sense (kinda why I love my FW7 so much)

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Fast heat up times, thick vapour with little effort, consistent AVB without stirring is impressive in a conduction vape.

FWIW Davinci offers ceramic 0.2 g dosing capsules as well as glass or zirconia 10m and 6m spacer sets to reduce the size of the IQ/IQ2 bowl. Don’t quote me but recall reading in a review that the IQ bowl is .51xxx inches in diameter. Don't know the D of the dotLeaf's bowl. The link to these items are Here.

endof3d,

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
I just measured the chamber of the DotLeaf, and the ceramic chamber has a 9.75mm Inner Diameter. It sounds like the IQ spacers might be a bit too big in this case. Good lookin out though!!

khelek41girl,
Reactions: darco

darco

Thank you Khelek41girl for all the info here!

I have spent more on nicotine vapes than I’d like to admit and the DotAIO is my current favorite device for multiple reasons, and a few of those should apply to the Dotleaf as well.

The build quality is really good. The anodization is surprisingly strong. I’ve dropped my black dotAIO on bathroom tiles from about 4 feet multiple times, and yet the anno hasn’t worn off any corner and there is no sign of bare Al.

Another great feature (that I don’t see them advertise) is that the USB-C charger can be charged using PD chargers / Mac book chargers (in my dot mod AIO, and am assuming Dotleaf should support it too). A lot of my other capes have usb C charging but they need a usb-a to usb-c cable to charge. My dotAIO is the only exception. While I do charge my batteries on an external charger usually, it’s nifty to be able to plug in my MBP charger into my vape.

Am also loving the fact that the entire chamber including the heater is available for a relatively low price, which means you can get a brand new tasting vape without having to buy a new one. This along with replaceable batteries and dotmod reliability should make this one a winner!

Am probably going to get the dot leaf anyway since it would make a great pair alongside my daily nic vape. Bowl size in a conduction vape is my only worry. I’m kinda obsessed with finishing a bowl in a conduction vape once I start it cuz I feel that the second or third session after a cool down doesn’t taste as good.

@khelek41girl - I see that you have the ArGo, how would you compare the bowl size of the ArGo with the DotLeaf?

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
@darco
Here's a side by side size comparison of the Dotleaf bowl vs the ArGo bowl. Its quite a bit larger! It also extracts much more evenly with less effort/stirring. The Dotleaf will run circles around the ArGo without even trying. The ArGo is more of an extended relaxed session vape, and the Dotleaf is a sledgehammer to the face lol!

I also have the DotAIO (SE Version) and it is a wonderful ecig! The quality is very much maintained between DotMod to DotLeaf. They spared no expense in building a great product!

DotLeaf vs ArGo Bowl Size Comparison

DotLeaf side by side to my DotAIO

RobbIt

From the Ultem website (thanks Abysmal!)—see Toxicity paragraph):

GENERAL INFORMATION​

DESCRIPTION​

The ULTEM Resin family of amorphous thermoplastic polyetherimide (PEI) resins offers outstanding elevated thermal resistance, high strength and stiffness, and broad chemical resistance. ULTEM is available in transparent and opaque custom colors, as well as glass filled grades. Plus, ULTEM copolymers are available for even higher heat, chemical and elasticity needs. ULTEM resins uniquely balance both mechanical properties and processability, offering design engineers exceptional flexibility and freedom.

BENEFITS​

LONG-TERM HEAT RESISTANCE
Excellent stability of physical and mechanical properties at elevated temperatures thanks to high glass transition temperature of 217 °C. Available with relative thermal indices (RTI) up to 180 °C
STRENGTH AND STIFFNESS
Outstanding strength and amorphous thermoplastic among the available alternatives, with predictable stiffness and strength up to 200 °C. Unfilled, transparent grades are equal in strength to other thermoplastics with opacifying fillers.
DIMENSIONAL STABILITY
Among the most dimensionally stable thermoplastics available, offering predictability over a wide temperature range. Filled grades offer exceptionally high-tolerance dimensional capabilities.
ENVIRONMENTAL STRESS & CRACKING RESISTANCE
Unlike most other amorphous thermoplastics, ULTEM resins retain strength and resist stress cracking when exposed to automotive and aircraft fluids, aliphatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, acids, and weak aqueous solutions.
FLAMMABILITY, SMOKE GENERATION AND TOXICITY
Inherent flame resistance without additives in most grades - exceptionally difficult to ignite, with a limiting oxygen index (LOI) of 47%, meeting UL94 V0 specifications in sections as thin as 0.41 mm. Generates extremely low smoke per the NBS smoke evolution test, with products of combustion no more toxic than those of wood.
PROCESSABILITY
Can be extruded, thermoformed, extrusion blow molded and injection molded, and flowability permits long flow lengths down to 0.2mm thick using conventional injection molding equipment.

GRADES​

GRADES AVAILABLE: 122 (Clear Filters)​

RobbIt,

RobbIt

Vapor DNA has it, and if you give them a subscription email they give you 10% off. Just ordered a dotLeaf + spare oven + 2day fedex for $166!
.... I just ordered an untested boutique expensive portable after I just bought an EVO two weeks ago :doh:

VAS did a sneak attack (Damn you khelek41girl for all your work and videos and risk)! Honestly what really put me over the edge was realizing I could use my EVO hydratubes with this. Helio or calyx is gonna be amazing at a high setting, I hope.

edit: I see where you got your cool door from Khelek! Nice to have the whole dotAIO customization cheaply available day one on this vape.
FYI—I just discovered VaporDNA (CA based) charges AZ sales taxes. Why? None of their out of state competitors do! The taxes negated $13 of the $18 discount on the dotleaf with a extra heating chamber, making VaporDNA only $5 less expensive than the official Dotmod website.

RobbIt,

NightTrain

@darco
Here's a side by side size comparison of the Dotleaf bowl vs the ArGo bowl. Its quite a bit larger! It also extracts much more evenly with less effort/stirring. The Dotleaf will run circles around the ArGo without even trying. The ArGo is more of an extended relaxed session vape, and the Dotleaf is a sledgehammer to the face lol!

I also have the DotAIO (SE Version) and it is a wonderful ecig! The quality is very much maintained between DotMod to DotLeaf. They spared no expense in building a great product!

Could you check and see if the dotleaf heater will fit in the dotAIO ?

NightTrain,

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Any have a clue whether the changes for the final product are gonna only gonna be to stuff that one can upgrade later? It'd be a shame to get the device now, and then for the final product they change the shape of the ovens or something, and then you can't upgrade to say some half bowl version or so

sunyata,

RobbIt

From Dotleaf management:
Hello,
At this time, there is no holiday promos for the dotLeaf. As for design finalization, it will pretty much keep the same core design, with a few minor tweaks. The packaging will undergo a slight change, but still will be a hard case. Other colors are in the works. The AIO doors will work on the dotLeaf, but not that tank since the devices have different chipsets.

RobbIt,
Reactions: darco

darco

@darco

Wow! Thanks for actually vaping a couple of bowls for this comparison pic! The Dotleaf ABV size looks more like the mighty’s! That’s a large bowl! But knowing Dotmod, am sure they’ll roll out a smaller chamber soon, and that shouldn’t cost any of the early adopters much to upgrade.

The ArGo is one of my most pocketable vapes but the really extended session that you mention kinda keeps it being useful as an out and about vape. Also isn’t powerful enough to deal with the Canadian outdoor temps at these times of the year (Which is a lil surprising, since it’s made in Canada).

The dotLeaf seems to be powerful enough to fill that gap. Also have been carrying the ArGo just cuz it fits so well next to my DotAIO in my pocket, obviously from your pic, the Dotleaf will do this even better.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that this is a soft launch with potential updates happening soon. Does anyone know when the final launch is going to be?

I see some Canadian Ecig vendors already have the DotLeaf in stock!

darco,
Reactions: RobbIt

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Just noticed that the only reference their page makes to warranties is a link called limited 90 day warranty that leads to a website that doesn't work which also makes me a bit hesitant... Anyone had experiences with dotmod and warranties?

Top Bottom