dotLeaf

QF1994

I agree. We don’t know, but it’s totally reasonable to ask these reviewers “do you receive anything of value from the companies you review?”
My experience on the ecig side is that this arrangement is often disclosed, albeit obliquely.
I am not at all hesitant to ask my stock broker, CPA, retail salesperson, insurance agent or realtor exactly what their compensation is for referrals and product/service reviews. Why should this be any different !? In the age of too much readily available ‘information’, it seems to me the new critical analysis of reliability is all about identifying trusted information sources based upon their competence AND independence.
As someone who works in one of those industries AND who does reviews on the side, I agree. I always make sure my clients know my compensation and I’m happy to explain and disclose anything and everything, and when I do reviews I will note if the manufacturer provided us with a free sample or if it was a personal purchase. We also always note if there’s an affiliate link or other compensation in play.

The reality is everyone has biases, whether it’s via direct compensation or just personal experience. The goal for anyone who offers any service (and yes, I include “quasi-professional and up” reviews in that category) should be to insure the person working with you or reading your review is generally better off than if they hadn’t. It doesn’t mean you have to be right every time, it just means you have to be a guiding voice enough of the time to justify what you offer.

jbm

If you have in fact solved the issues, I’ll jump on board again provided you offer a significant discount to us as your early (involuntary) retail betas.
This. I was looking at their various announcements and on their discord for any sign of offers for the 1.0 purchasers. So far just murmuring. I still have oven 1.0, they want me to pay to replace it, and there *might* be a send in program for updating firmware. Much smarter would be to offer significant discounts (I.e. more than 10 bucks) on the 1.5. If their response is just thank you for the help, hope you don’t mind paying full ride for the stuff you all helped us work out, then maybe I’m done with them for good. Airvape, for all their problems, discounts new models to existing registered owners by at least 50%. Any model, not just the one you bought.

Last edited:

RobbIt

This. I was looking at their various announcements and on their discord for any sign of offers for the 1.0 purchasers. So far just murmuring. I still have oven 1.0, they want me to pay to replace it, and there *might* be a send in program for updating firmware. Much smarter would be to offer significant discounts (I.e. more than 10 bucks) on the 1.5. If their response is just thank you for the help, hope you don’t mind paying full ride for the stuff you all helped us work out, then maybe I’m done with them for good. Airvape, for all their problems, discounts new models to existing registered owners by at least 50%. Any model, not just the one you bought.
The initial company response (from their CS Manager) to my request for replacement of the two defective chambers (not the device itself) was “yeah, if you have problems you can purchase updated chambers (at full price).” That sent me over the edge so I eventually connected with Alex, Operations Manager. He handled the problem professionally by offering replacement heaters (which presumably still had issues other than the initial one(s). At that point, I was so skeptical that I just asked for a refund. Alex authorized that and I returned my device and chambers (at my expense) and a refund was issued.
I’m not giving up on Dotmod thanks to Alex however I will be very cautious about purchasing new products until after they’ve received a favorable ruling from the court of public opinion.
Cheers to FC forums and all of you!!!

RobbIt

As someone who works in one of those industries AND who does reviews on the side, I agree. I always make sure my clients know my compensation and I’m happy to explain and disclose anything and everything, and when I do reviews I will note if the manufacturer provided us with a free sample or if it was a personal purchase. We also always note if there’s an affiliate link or other compensation in play.

The reality is everyone has biases, whether it’s via direct compensation or just personal experience. The goal for anyone who offers any service (and yes, I include “quasi-professional and up” reviews in that category) should be to insure the person working with you or reading your review is generally better off than if they hadn’t. It doesn’t mean you have to be right every time, it just means you have to be a guiding voice enough of the time to justify what you offer.
Thanks for your candor from an insider’s perspective. On the ecig side, the reviewers that flourish in the long run are those that are not afraid to point out negatives amd their potential effect on the user. The fanboy reviewers almost always fade from existence because we don’t know what to believe because of their bias and undisclosed incentives.

RobbIt,

jbm

At that point, I was so skeptical that I just asked for a refund. Alex authorized that and I returned my device and chambers (at my expense) and a refund was issued.
I may end up doing this if possible. I really dislike the “we won’t replace the known defective ovens until they actually break and if you don’t like that, pony up” policy. I think not planning for user-updateable firmware was a bad idea. The chamber is much too large. I contacted them and asked about the possibility of an oven spacer. They said it was a good idea and they’re considering it, which means it’s probably a year away at least. All this has added up to a device I seldom use. If I could reasonably upgrade to the next iteration, I might be inclined to give it another try.

maremaresing

I think there is a misconception of what the 1.5 is. Sure, flashy new colors. But it's just the firmware and top ring that changed functionally. They have said they'd give that for free. Easy breezy. No need to feel left out, just gotta send em your dotleaf.

maremaresing,
Reactions: RobbIt

Deecee

I think there is a misconception of what the 1.5 is. Sure, flashy new colors. But it's just the firmware and top ring that changed functionally. They have said they'd give that for free. Easy breezy. No need to feel left out, just gotta send em your dotleaf.
Description on website says new chip.

Deecee,

maremaresing

Still no word on if the new firmware on the 1.5 fixed the combustion issues.
What kind of word are you expecting that they haven't given already?

My point still stands, considering they could change that when you shipped it in. My earlier point also stands that it's user replaceable if you are comfortable with that.

I think we should give dotleaf more time to come up with the right way to address this recall.

purpletweed

I believe it's referring to the same new chip the 1.0 dotLeaf has -- the dotChip 2.0.

By the way, since we were wondering about this awhile back, I've learned that the glass daVinci IQ spacers can sometimes fit in the dL; I bought a set and the longer one fits perfectly. Here's a photo of what the reduced oven size comes out to:

RobbIt

I believe it's referring to the same new chip the 1.0 dotLeaf has -- the dotChip 2.0.

By the way, since we were wondering about this awhile back, I've learned that the glass daVinci IQ spacers can sometimes fit in the dL; I bought a set and the longer one fits perfectly. Here's a photo of what the reduced oven size comes out to:
Appreciate the tips of course. I don’t enjoy problem solving for the company. Time, money and frustration. Get it right, then launch.

kuzko

What kind of word are you expecting that they haven't given already?

My point still stands, considering they could change that when you shipped it in. My earlier point also stands that it's user replaceable if you are comfortable with that.

I think we should give dotleaf more time to come up with the right way to address this recall.

There’s been some word? Do tell. All I’ve read on this thread is combustion after combustion after chamber issues. Then this new firmware was released and no one who has it has chimed in on how it works yet. Unless I missed a post/s.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
There’s been some word? Do tell. All I’ve read on this thread is combustion after combustion after chamber issues. Then this new firmware was released and no one who has it has chimed in on how it works yet. Unless I missed a post/s.
I’m pretty sure this was JUST released over on this side of the world. Give it more than 3 days y’all. Do you people expect these things to magically show up in peoples hands overnight? And during Easter? Cmon now.

jbm

I’m pretty sure this was JUST released over on this side of the world. Give it more than 3 days y’all. Do you people expect these things to magically show up in peoples hands overnight? And during Easter? Cmon now.
The 1.5 is first mentioned in this forum on March 15th. I may not be a mathematician but that works out to more than 3 days on my slide rule here. A couple days later we start hearing that they’re going to do “something” for the 1.0 owners; rumors encompass sending it in for a firmware (and possibly chip) upgrade. Nothing firm has yet been announced. Will they charge for the upgrade? Pay for the postage? Offer it at all? If you’re going to run your betas at retail you better offer decent upgrades. Plans for this should have been in place before the 1.5 was announced. C’mon now.

Deecee

Still no word on if the new firmware on the 1.5 fixed the combustion issues.

On the website it says the issue was fixed.

@dotleaf_Alex can answer it for you

Arawfish

Green Thumb
The 1.5 is first mentioned in this forum on March 15th. I may not be a mathematician but that works out to more than 3 days on my slide rule here. A couple days later we start hearing that they’re going to do “something” for the 1.0 owners; rumors encompass sending it in for a firmware (and possibly chip) upgrade. Nothing firm has yet been announced. Will they charge for the upgrade? Pay for the postage? Offer it at all? If you’re going to run your betas at retail you better offer decent upgrades. Plans for this should have been in place before the 1.5 was announced. C’mon now.
First mention and dates of official announcement are not the same thing. You’re right in that it’s been more than 3 days though.

maremaresing

Sweet, can’t wait to see some positive user reviews confirming this. Then it’s onto the dot leaf train I go.
Join us, friend. There were a ton of happy v1 people, too. But, confirmation bias + only the upset people post their complaints. It was good, but I truly think the 1.5 version has fixed the combustion stuff.

But it's been less than a week so we need to wait for them to get some in the wild and have enough components to take care of v1 people (so they can have it in the wild).

Enjoying some nice cbd in my dotleaf tonight on temp2 and it's so good. Really fun device to flip around the hand, too. Light and compact.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@maremaresing I think you are overdoing the trust again. Should we take the expertise of company that launched combusting vaporizer with cracking chambers ,that they have fixed an issue they didnt saw in production and blamed it on a user error .There are many faiths at FC but majority is "agnostic",we had enough company talk that doesnt meet reality,and with all the praises and background Dotleaf isnt on top of the situation yet,so that is why Kuzko means by default ,word from someone we know and trust .

Last edited:

Deecee

Not nice. Warning point issued.
" confirmation bias + only the upset people post their complaints. It was good"

ok lmao

Dude is the most delusional person on earth, don't mind him he buys products and must furiously defend them at all costs to defend his choice in purchases. The guy actually blamed me for buying the wrong product, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but hes going full metal jacket again so back to mute for you.

Deecee

ok lmao

Dude is the most delusional person on earth, don't mind him he buys products and must furiously defend them at all costs to defend his choice in purchases. The guy actually blamed me for buying the wrong product, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but hes going full metal jacket again so back to mute for you.
That being said and sorry for the double post but I very much love the dotleaf, it just happens that the first one I bought had some issues with the oven not working at all, then once I got a oven I had issues with the connector and combusting after changing battery.

Just make sure if you buy one its a 1.5, according to the website the issue is fixed I just cant confirm because I currently dont own one.

I probably should be upset that the one I own is bad and I have 0 clue how to fix it but I believe they will have a solution hopefully. Trade in program or something would be nice but I'm not expecting anything.

If I get a new one I would pick black, man they look good. :brow:

Deecee,
Reactions: BigJr48

maremaresing

Hey guys, this is your friendly reminder that this is a forum for being enthusiastic about vaporizers. If you find someone being enthusiastic about vaporizers, please try to temper your shock.

ok lmao

I only called you out for being entitled and not wanting to do your due diligence as a consumer. You've been good towards me and the company lately, and that's great! But be nice.

I thought they sent you a replacement? Have you not been using prerelease 1.5 firmware this whole time? You've been happy.

@maremaresing I think you are overdoing the trust again. Should we take the expertise of company that launched combusting vaporizer with cracking chambers ,that they have fixed an issue they didnt saw in production and blamed it on a user error .There are many faiths at FC but majority is "agnostic",we had enough company talk that doesnt meet reality,and with all the praises and background Dotleaf isnt on top of the situation yet,so that is why Kuzko means by default ,word from someone we know and trust .

Maybe I know something that you don't? I want to temper my own enthusiasm a little bit here, because I'm not 100% sure the top ring changes resolved everything. But the firmware/chipset? I'm almost certain that resolved the combustion issues, which the company themselves has confirmed.

Kuzko just wants 100% certainty a few days after the release and lmao none of us could say for sure.

kuzko

Didn’t mean to rile anything up. I know we at FuckCombustion ask the tough questions like “does it combust?” Wasnt trying to call dot leaf out, they just seemed responsive on this thread and I didn’t think it was too much to ask BEFORE handing over $160. There is no way for me to know if or how many people have the new units.

maremaresing

Oh gosh @kuzko you are blameless in this. If anything it's my own cheeriness that riles things up. It's fair to ask and even more fair to wait as long as needed before buying.

There are a lot of companies I wouldn't touch a first year product from, and gave dotleaf a chance here because it's so pretty and seemed to perform so well. I expected it to be terrible and thus was pleasantly surprised. We are all biased.

Top Bottom