dotLeaf

maremaresing

At this point the dotleaf is my primary vape, with my EVO in occasional microdose role. All other vapes have gone into storage. When I bought the dotleaf on impulse, it was supposed to be the other way around! o_o

Now that I know how boost mode works (thought it was toggle not momentary activation), I might go back to temp 2. Temp 4 is lovely, but gets me remarkably unable to function. Never thought I'd complain that a vape had too much vapor. Of course, it's great that I can go from "MFLB style" hits on temp 1 to "drop things and run into walls" hits on temp 4.

I know there is a lot of concern right now about "did I get the latest one?" and want to stress that loads of early run models are just fine (with small oven cracks). Not denying the teething problems or just the desire to have the updated parts. Just don't feel bad if you get one of the early ones and it's working fine.

The ceramic part of the bowl is completely intact, no cracks so far that I can see. Has anyone had any cracking of the ceramic? I wasn't sure when reading about cracking whether everyone was referring to the outer plastic, or the inner ceramic...

I think if it's only the Ultem that is cracking it would be a fairly easy fix. All they would have to do is switch to PEEK and maybe raise the price a couple of dollars to offset the cost.

The ceramic is fine, it's just the Ultem part. Plus I think that there are very different structural requirements of a ecig tank vs a vape oven. Nice suggestion on upgrading the components. I wonder if they couldn't beef things up and make the oring flush with the top of the oven space. That way the metal interior could take the spring force and not compress or rip. That or make the springs less stiff. It's prob the same springs the ecig tank has.

Personally, I'm so tempted to start thinking about engineering fixes to the device to suggest to them. Then I remember that a company that could make something so well designed in the first place surely has their own brilliant engineers. So I'm not worried about the future of the device and am glad to be on the ground floor of a cool new vape and provide useful data.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Not aware of another portable battery powered vape that has a modular heating element/oven that’s designed to be removed to load and empty a bowl. If the intended maintenance for the dotLeaf was simply to replace a few inexpensive worn washers after x amount of oven in and out cycles, then the dotLeaf in IMHO was designed to be a solid, low maintenance vape.

The option to completely replace the entire heating element/oven if it ever starts to under perform and do so at a reasonable cost is another attractive feature. The developer still has remaining wrinkles to iron out, starting with making things right for early adopters, but the future still looks promising.

marduk

daydreamer
Not aware of another portable battery powered vape that has a modular heating element/oven that’s designed to be removed to load and empty a bowl.

There's another one that has just come out. It uses an 18350 battery and includes three different removable bowls for herb, wax and CBD.

unnamed-jpg.4405

@iDRINKBLEACH started a thread about it here: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ais-vape.50682/ and should be getting one in a few days. I don't think the company has the well-established great reputation that DotMod has, so people will probably be more hesitant to send them money until reviews start appearing.

maremaresing

Also, it's bigger and not as aesthetically pleasing as the dotleaf, without the accessory support.

The other removeable oven option is the new FURNA, which nobody talks about. Looks cool and I wanted it, but resisted the purchase. I wasn't even in the market for a vape, having just gotten my new EVO. Something about the dotleaf shoved me over the edge very quickly. It's everything I've been looking for in a portable for years, I think.

These DESCE bags for the dotleaf were a solid buy. So fun to fiddle with without worrying about dropping the unit and scratching it. Super stealthy, too.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Good catch @marduk. There could be a number of e-cig makers crossing over this year. Just when I was thinking that 2021 was going to be uneventful for new vapes.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
View attachment 4962View attachment 4963

Mine came today, some quick impressions. Just used it after a brief t break, so apologies for any incoherence in the my musings.

First of all, damn this is a nice feeling lil machine. Super solid vibes. Also just had a brief round messing with the temps between 1-3 with the two different mouth piece from the images, both super nice (the pipe thing sounds like a bloody dog whistle though). Flavour is also super nice, good cloud production despite material I had ground a few weeks ago. Fiendishly potent. Definitely a bit harsher on higher temps even with the mouthpieces, and definitely a lil handwarmer. Both not unpleasant though, feels true convection. Slight clicking noise on the warm-up on the step to 3, that may be the oven-cracking temp ha. So far so good though, survived the first round unscathed. Also the o-ring situation definitely gives it a slightly paranoid feel when putting the chamber in, but that may be just my anticipation of issues there. Not sure what version I got, I ordered through them, but it was shipped within Europe, so we'll find out... whitish gasket on the inside of the tank, is there any consensus on what version that is yet?

But generally yeah, it's cool. Totally not unhappy about my decision to go for it, I ordered before o-ring-gate but before cracking-oven-gate, so I anticipated some risk with early adoption, but went for the 10% discount. Also generally this thread reads like pretty good CS so far, so I feel reasonably relaxed about that. So far definitely gets my recommendation, it's a nifty device.

//edit

Just saw vapen00b say that European devices are earlier version, so that likely explains my oven o-ring trepidations ha. Just checked for the serial number, ##035x.

Woah I love those side panels!!

I presume you got those separately, they did not come with it?? Apologies if you mentioned that in your post, I skimmed!

Shit Snacks,

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
There's another one that has just come out. It uses an 18350 battery and includes three different removable bowls for herb, wax and CBD.

unnamed-jpg.4405

@iDRINKBLEACH started a thread about it here: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ais-vape.50682/ and should be getting one in a few days. I don't think the company has the well-established great reputation that DotMod has, so people will probably be more hesitant to send them money until reviews start appearing.
I may have read into them wrong but their new post says wholesale only and rebranding welcome. I dont think they are trying to sell retail. Almost trying to take the same path as the potv one device did is what I'm guessing.

iDRINKBLEACH,

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Woah I love those side panels!!

I presume you got those separately, they did not come with it?? Apologies if you mentioned that in your post, I skimmed!

I bought them separately for 15€ :brow:

They're plastic so slightly different feel, but they have a nice grippy texture.

// they're called octopus

Last edited:

darco

Also, it's bigger and not as aesthetically pleasing as the dotleaf, without the accessory support.

The other removeable oven option is the new FURNA, which nobody talks about. Looks cool and I wanted it, but resisted the purchase. I wasn't even in the market for a vape, having just gotten my new EVO. Something about the dotleaf shoved me over the edge very quickly. It's everything I've been looking for in a portable for years, I think.

These DESCE bags for the dotleaf were a solid buy. So fun to fiddle with without worrying about dropping the unit and scratching it. Super stealthy, too.

My experience was identical! I saw the Furna and thought, nice idea, but I don’t need another vape yet. And then I saw the Dotleaf and couldn’t stick to that thought!

the Desce bags are indeed a perfect fit. There are also a bunch of leather DotAIO cases on Etsy that should fit the DotLeaf perfectly. Note though that some are more expensive than the DotLeaf mod itself.

Jah75

Anyone curious about seeing the heating chamber more closely? I was. Took it down as far as I felt safe doing so without damaging things.

my oring and steel screen surround grommet are black material, I see yours are white. Is this a newer unit? (mine is a pretty early one)

Easywider

Simple is the way
Heard back from DotLeaf support Alex yesterday. He said the erratic behavior and ghost heating until combustion was being caused by how the firmware currently handles changes in resistance ( likely caused by general usage and oven cracking ) they are working on a firmware update to fix this. He also mentioned that they will have a new oven material in the works ( to resolve the cracking issues ) and will likely be available for purchase in the next month.

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
my oring and steel screen surround grommet are black material, I see yours are white. Is this a newer unit? (mine is a pretty early one)
The white grommet material indicates that this is one of the original heater units and not the updated one. The updated one has a black grommet, and a slightly shaved down lid catch so that it can slide into the device without snagging the oring connecting the airpath.

My first heater unit was white. I got mine back in October, so it was very much an earlier unit. They eventually swapped it out for the new/improved version with the better profiled lid and updated (black) grommets

purpletweed

When I contacted support about whether oven cracking would be covered by warranty, I was told:
dotleafofficial said:
As for the cracking, our engineering team says that the cracking should not effect the usage of it, but if you do notice poor performance, our customer service team should be able to take care of you

This seems somewhat unreasonable to me — surely if your product cracks under normal use, it should be replaced without cost to the user as it can’t possibly still have the same lifespan it would have. We’ll see, I suppose.

Mine arrives today, I’m quite excited. Sold my Fury Edge yesterday as this’ll take its spot.

Jah75

The white grommet material indicates that this is one of the original heater units and not the updated one. The updated one has a black grommet, and a slightly shaved down lid catch so that it can slide into the device without snagging the oring connecting the airpath.

My first heater unit was white. I got mine back in October, so it was very much an earlier unit. They eventually swapped it out for the new/improved version with the better profiled lid and updated (black) grommets
Awesome. I got mine directly from DotMod pretty early, but they must have already changed over, thats great to hear. I havent had any cracks come up yet (to be fair I have only vaped maybe 10 bowls out of it) crossing fingers!

I do like the idea of a Peak or Ceramic Oven casing (although ceramic would likely be waaaaaay to expensive) and Im definitely looking forward to a "half-pack" bowl (already tried putting my IQ marble in the bowl to reduce the space with no luck)

Easywider

Simple is the way
When I contacted support about whether oven cracking would be covered by warranty, I was told:

This seems somewhat unreasonable to me — surely if your product cracks under normal use, it should be replaced without cost to the user as it can’t possibly still have the same lifespan it would have. We’ll see, I suppose.

Mine arrives today, I’m quite excited. Sold my Fury Edge yesterday as this’ll take its spot.
When I contacted support they gave me insight on how they where going to fix the current issues but offered no options to send updated parts or how I can fix anything on my end.

I took pictures of my edge yesterday and almost posted it for sale but was later put off by supports response. I think I’ll give it a month and see how everything pans out.

Deecee

I recently bought one and its not heating up. Any tips? On setting 1 and 2 it takes like 3 sec then vibrates, at setting 3 and 4 it vibrates immediately. Im touching the oven and its cold. faulty oven?

Deecee,
Top Bottom