dotLeaf

Easywider

Simple is the way
Boy, I’d love to know the magic words to get a replacement oven.

What channels are people using for communication? I emailed support got one reply from Alex and then no responses to any follow ups.

Easywider,
Reactions: Tweakz

MikeRotchHertz

I made a mistake earlier of trying to blow out the last little bits out of the ceramic chamber while it was still hot. I guess the cracks on the bottom allowed the heat to escape and that combination with the metal heating up gave me a little sting.

I think it has affected my resistance too. Earlier i was planning a session with 2 over stuffed delta 3d scoops, and i set it directly to 4. On the first hit, my eyes went wide it was such a big hit going through a small rig. I dumped it out and it was a few shades short of combusting and felt more like a desktop hit.

Previously on heat level 4 i would get a handful of pulls before it would get that hot. I'm too stubborn to just wait for the new upgraded chamber (black), so I'll report back if it gets worse over time. I feel like i was just saying there were no negative effects and then the crack just spread across the whole bottom

MikeRotchHertz,
Reactions: vapen00b

SixStringToker

Naked member
I'd love for them to merge the dotLeaf and dotAIO into one device and throw in a concentrates oven for good measure. E-juice, herb, and concentrates in one tiny device... It really doesn't seem like much of a stretch from where they are now. Maybe the dotLeaf SE (or the dotAIO TE).

Edit: My excitement is waning. One of my ovens has gone full combustion. I just packed a tight bowl in one of the other ovens (I've been rotating three) and wanted to see if I could milk up some glass. So I set it to level 4, punched the boost button and started my pull. After a few seconds, I started hearing crackling sounds and POOF... I definitely milked up that glass piece. Unfortunately, it was with smoke. I now have two full combustion ovens with tons of cracks on the bottom.

Last edited:

Ipe17

I'd love for them to merge the dotLeaf and dotAIO into one device and throw in a concentrates oven for good measure. E-juice, herb, and concentrates in one tiny device... It really doesn't seem like much of a stretch from where they are now. Maybe the dotLeaf SE (or the dotAIO TE).

Edit: My excitement is waning. One of my ovens has gone full combustion. I just packed a tight bowl in one of the other ovens (I've been rotating three) and wanted to see if I could milk up some glass. So I set it to level 4, punched the boost button and started my pull. After a few seconds, I started hearing crackling sounds and POOF... I definitely milked up that glass piece. Unfortunately, it was with smoke. I now have two full combustion ovens with tons of cracks on the bottom.
aren't they the same device with different ovens?

Ipe17,

Easywider

Simple is the way
I've reached out to them via IG simply asking to return my device. I know it's a ridiculous request, but I'm hoping it may prompt them to offer me a replacement oven like so many others??? Do I smell? Maybe I smell...

Easywider,

SixStringToker

Naked member
This sucks. Mine didn't even last 24 hours with three ovens. All three of them now combust immediately, even on level 1. When it works, it's an awesome little device. Unfortunately, mine is now a fucking paperweight; a cool looking paperweight, though!

50809892883_628522545d_o.jpg

50809172397_813d33ec8c_o.jpg

Last edited:

Jah75

That sucks, mine is still going strong with no cracks or grommet issues (I do have the black updated grommets, but still have the same ultem oven casing)
/croosses fingers

SixStringToker

Naked member
@Jah75, interesting. Have you been using the higher temperatures? I've done a couple of back-to-back level 4 sessions on each of those ovens; they do not seem to have appreciated it. Do you take the oven out immediately to dump the herb, or do you let it cool off in the leaf before removing it?

SixStringToker,
Reactions: Easywider

buckhakeesah

I've sorta been babying mine through all levels, haven't tried 4 though, but no crack yet. Such a bummer that 3 went down in one day.

Jah75

I havent even tried it on temp 1 and 2. It has mostly been temp 3, maybe 3-4 times at temp 4. I have used the boost feature maybe once.

I should also say that this is my third vape in rotation and doesnt get near the use my hopper and FW7 get (maybe 4-6 bowls a week so far - 3 weeks in)

Easywider

Simple is the way
This sucks. Mine didn't even last 24 hours with three ovens. All three of them now combust immediately, even on level 1. When it works, it's an awesome little device. Unfortunately, mine is now a fucking paperweight; a cool looking paperweight, though!

View attachment 5025

View attachment 5024
Wow! How many chambers do you think you ran through each one before they got that bad? Mine looks most similar to the one on the farthest right side in your pic after about 20-25 chambers ( 5 days of use ) I like 4+boost.

Mine also has a bunch of herb particles in it, about 4x more than the one farthest left in your photo. I think it from blowing excess herb off the rim before I push the oven lid off. I wonder if that will eventually effect performance/taste.

Jah75

I'm getting a decent bit-o debris in the casing as well. I can imagine that it has to eventually either come out or impact flavor/conduction. I wonder how easy the ovens are to disassemble (too scared to try, only got the one oven)? I don't love the idea of the oven being a consumable if they aren't cleanable

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Wow, it definitely looks like they've got some issues to take care of! I have noticed that in most of the pictures of ovens, there are lots of particles inside the heating unit. The one that I had that cracked had similar particles in it, and I think that is the biggest driving factor on oven malfunctions. I will say this... and maybe you all will wanna try it out. It made a difference for me when I dropped the entire pod in ISO for a deep cleaning soak. I let it soak for 15-20 minutes shaking the bag vigorously to clear out all of those particles. I wasn't able to get them all out, but it cleared out the majority. Once that was done, I ran it under hot water to flush out any remaining residue and keep everything clean. Since then, it has not combusted at all, and the cracks have just become cosmetic again. I know it doesn't completely solve the problem, but it might get you back in the game if you've already burned out all your oven options.

The idea of a new oven material being made is very good news! I will see what you all think about it when you get it, and see if its worth going through the time/effort to get one. One can hope!

I am going to try and do a smidge of modifying here in a bit, and see if I can get a screen to the bottom of the herb chamber to prevent herb from getting down into the heating element. I'll do some testing of course to make sure it works before reporting back. I'll keep you all posted!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Watching from a distance, I would guess the oven cracking is due to thermal expansion.
I did some research on Ultem cracking and there is talk that cracks can happen with exposure to chlorinated solutions ,but i dont know if chlorophyll is strong enough. Another possible issue is that if it gets hot over 200C , there is also mention that a drop in temp from 45C to -45 C can have impact on the flexibility . Then i came to a forum where people were discussing machining Ultem,it can crack due to the heat from the tools friction and they said that oil/petroleum based coolants can cause stress ,which is not visible in the beggining but forms cracks at a later phase. Also it has to be annealed like glass .. So this already sounds like there is a lot to fuck up in the production itself, annealing in PID controlled ovens, adequate cooling liquid .
Ultem is also used in E-cig tanks and some juices are even called" tank crackers",you can guess why.
I dont about performance of a 300$ unit,cause i've never owned one ,but for sure they will have to work a bit more to get to the build quality of a 160$ units i have owned :)). If i had a vaporizer with cracking heater cover/heater i would ask myself where those particles that were in the cracks went.
Anyway this will be a nice test for their CS and maybe their QC .Lets see how big companies bounce out of that situation better the rest.

Last edited:

maremaresing

@Deecee That's dirty. Thanks for the warning on Element.

View attachment 5025

View attachment 5024

I LOVE helix stuff with vapes. Where on earth did you get a hammer bubbler with a 14mm instead of a bowl?

I'm getting a decent bit-o debris in the casing as well. I can imagine that it has to eventually either come out or impact flavor/conduction. I wonder how easy the ovens are to disassemble (too scared to try, only got the one oven)? I don't love the idea of the oven being a consumable if they aren't cleanable

You can wash them. I was worried about debris getting stuck in there forever, since it falls out from the bottom when I brush things, but the airpath is open enough to swish that out with iso and a rinse. FWIW, I'm still on my same single oven, and haven't cleaned it once. The inside is "self cleaning" and just needs a brush out. The rim where the lid goes is getting some reclaim, but that's all.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I did some research on Ultem cracking and there is talk that cracks can happen with exposure to chlorinated solutions ,but i dont know if chlorophyll is strong enough. Another possible issue is that if it gets hot over 200C , there is also mention that a drop in temp from 45C to -45 C can have impact on the flexibility . Then i came to a forum where people were discussing machining Ultem,it can crack due to the heat from the tools friction and they said that oil/petroleum based coolants can cause stress ,which is not visible in the beggining but forms cracks at a later phase. Also it has to be annealed like glass .. So this already sounds like there is a lot to fuck up in the production itself, annealing in PID controlled ovens, adequate cooling liquid .
Ultem is also used in E-cig tanks and some juices are even called" tank crackers",you can guess why.
I dont about performance of a 300$ unit,cause i've never owned one ,but for sure they will have to work a bit more to get to the build quality of a 160$ units i have owned :)). If i had a vaporizer with cracking heater cover/heater i would ask myself where those particles that were in the cracks went.
Anyway this will be a nice test for their CS and maybe their QC .Lets see how big companies bounce out of that situation better the rest.

Interesting to read pretty different metrics on operating temperatures for the material, some sources cite as low as 340F. But I guess there are a few different grades and processing options for the material.

invertedisdead,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Interesting to read pretty different metrics on operating temperatures for the material, some sources cite as low as 340F. But I guess there are a few different grades and processing options for the material.
Yes ,there are many different grades,also some with glass fibers,but the 200C is as high as it goes for pure ultem resin i think. Taking another look at those 3 cracked tanks. I noticed that they are all cracked at the bottom where the atomizer connection is molded into the resin. I know from my little experience that improper connection can lead to heating up of the 510 base ,not just the coil. So after all you may have been correct with your assumption about thermal expansion,if that connector got hot ,the metal expanded and broke the bottom plate. Also it is important what metal is used. Stainless steel has higher resistance and can get hot in such cases but expands less. Copper and brass are more conductive,so if not bad contact maybe conducting heat from the chamber would be enough.

SixStringToker

Naked member
I LOVE helix stuff with vapes. Where on earth did you get a hammer bubbler with a 14mm instead of a bowl?

I don't recall where I got that one other than it being one of the smaller online shops. That's an original American Helix piece, but I think you can find some with the Grav rebrand. It's an awesome cooler.

It's actually 10mm, and yea... it's not easy to find handheld hammer-style bubblers with GonG fittings. Here's the bulk of my collection of mini bubblers:

50810234668_a702d1f59f_o.jpg

I've been experimenting lately with mating my small vape with GonG fittings to bubblers with regular bowls. If it's a well-made bubbler with a properly round bowl on the smaller side, you can get some fittings to seal against the inside of the bowl just by holding the pieces together. If you have a rounded GonG fitting (like the Ditanium mouthpiece on the Tiny Might in the photo above), the seal will be even better, giving you more wiggle room. I rounded the top of the 14mm adaptor for my modLeaf and it works really well for that:

50810285068_636b4331c4_o.jpg

I am going to try and do a smidge of modifying here in a bit, and see if I can get a screen to the bottom of the herb chamber to prevent herb from getting down into the heating element.
You're gonna need a tiny screen! This was the smallest that I had and I still had to give it a bowl shape to get it to fit:

50811052132_84479fe37c_o.jpg

I haven't tried it yet. I need to see if the iso soak can revive my ovens.

Last edited:

Easywider

Simple is the way
I know from my little experience that improper connection can lead to heating up of the 510 base ,not just the coil.

I've burnt my fingers on the bottom of the oven where the 510 connection ring is several times. Causing me to drop my oven, this is why I thought mine was originally cracked. @khelek41girl thanks for the tip! My oven looks good as new now ( minus the cracks :lol: ) going to let it dry out some more and give it a test run.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Yes ,there are many different grades,also some with glass fibers,but the 200C is as high as it goes for pure ultem resin i think. Taking another look at those 3 cracked tanks. I noticed that they are all cracked at the bottom where the atomizer connection is molded into the resin. I know from my little experience that improper connection can lead to heating up of the 510 base ,not just the coil. So after all you may have been correct with your assumption about thermal expansion,if that connector got hot ,the metal expanded and broke the bottom plate. Also it is important what metal is used. Stainless steel has higher resistance and can get hot in such cases but expands less. Copper and brass are more conductive,so if not bad contact maybe conducting heat from the chamber would be enough.
Houston. We have a problem.

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
When I contacted support they gave me insight on how they where going to fix the current issues but offered no options to send updated parts or how I can fix anything on my end.

I took pictures of my edge yesterday and almost posted it for sale but was later put off by supports response. I think I’ll give it a month and see how everything pans out.

Can you elaborate on their plans further?

The policy not to care if it doesn't affect performance definitely has a mixed vibe... I feel like that's not exactly the same kinda "it'll get some cracks with repeated use" vibe you have when you get a all-wood vapman or something ha.

As for my use, that dab mouthpiece thingie from my photo is turning out to be just a killer. Just had a bowl temp-stepping 2, 3, 4 with it, even at 4 I get smooth, flavourful and thich hits with that thing. Also despite earlier version no issues, although the o-ring situations keep my nicely on edge whenever I change bowls ha. What a ride.

Also, I wonder whether the spring that pushes in the oven has something to do with this cracking issue. Damn that thing strong. After my first bowl I decided to just push the spring down by hand repeatedly for a few min to wear it out at least a little bit. Likely delusional, but hey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom