Do you like coffee?

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Interesting
10 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ROBUSTA & ARABICA COFFEE

You may have noticed that some coffee bag labels brag about the fact that their coffee beans are 100% Arabica. Although it does sound like something magicians say, it isn’t gibberish – it refers to the type of coffee species in which the beans are from.

I love that Sweet Maria's vendor also. I enjoy expresso, but on a daily basis I prefer the more americanized version with a full city roast, some sugar and my dear sweet half and half. When people were scrambling for toilet paper, I was scrambling for half and half (and freezing it).

What I did for a while, and only stopped from laziness, was buying my beans green from SM. I forget which country my beans were from, but I preferred more mellow flavors than astringency. I then found on ebay the 1980's popcorn airpopper models that SM talked about in their blog section and began my own roasting. It was fun for a while, not that complicated, and produced an excellent cup of coffee. I love that weber grill method.

Lately, I'm back to store bought pre-ground. But if I was visiting any of you, I'd certainly accept a nice expresso. I might convert it into a cafe con leche though. I have memories of my grandmother serving the expresso with the sambucca or anisette on the side.

Marlon Rando

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee.

I think I first heard of the Aeropress due to the old forum (not sure, coulda been one other forum) and my autism, obsessions, and addiction did the rest! :)

So now I'm the kind of arsehole that has a coffee beans subscription, carefully timed so I get a new kilo of coffee every 21 days, which is how long a kilo lasts me. For anyone in the UK, I cannot recommend York Coffee Emporium highly enough. Their beans arrive at my house mere days after being roasted. They sell green beans for anyone wanting to roast their own, and their coffee is some of the amazing coffee I've ever tasted.

If anyone uses them, let me know, I have a referral code! :D

I don’t know why I could never get into the French press lifestyle of coffee. Mom loves it. And when I go over she makes me one from it. Personally I don’t like it. I prefer the espresso.

Ugh, yeah. A french press generally just stews everything. I like to be able to taste the coffee and not have the shakes :D To each their own tho obviously, having just read up the thread, no shade being thrown here at others methods :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I loves me some coffee. For me, it can be a harsh mistress so as I've gotten older I really should keep it to one cup (el grande!) in the am, but of course I often don't. It combines so well with so many other pleasures and vices!

I should put the balance of this whole post in a 'spoiler', it might make some of you a little queasy. You've been warned.

For well over 3 decades I've used the same method and brand of coffee at home. Friends & guests almost universally praise the coffee.
I use a standard Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker. Always, always filtered water.
I use Maxwell House 'Colombian' coffee. For a long time I used the 'Master Blend' variety but I noticed about 20 yrs ago they seemed to swap the labeling or something, so I switched. It only comes in one grind.

I buy the coffee on the great sales our local market has (or used to have, those days are probably gone...). The smaller cans (13 oz.) go for $1.99/each and I buy 12 to 24 cans at a time.

If I ever go into a Starbucks or other coffee cafe, I get a kick out of asking for a cup of the closest thing to Maxwell House they have.

Mississippi John Hurt said, "One spoonful of Maxwell House is good as 2 or 3 cups of other kind of coffee."

grampa_herb

Epstein didn't kill himself
Coffee has always given me the urge to go. It has that affect on a lot of people. Lately it seems like the urge comes as I am making coffee. I have read of studies where smiling causes happy feelings, that instead of cause and effect, it might be correlation. Hold on, I'll be right back..... Sorry for shit-posting. :shit:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I'm a huge coffee fan. I like coffee makers that I can take apart and clean thoroughly. I used to have an old-school coffee machine and I started wondering what might be growing inside the water lines. I use a french press occasionally and I use an Aeropress every day. I love how it is self-cleaning, it produces a fantastic cup of coffee and you can't beat the price. Mine is over seven years old and looks like new. I grind with a Hario Skerton. Again, for the price, it offers fantastic performance. Especially with a fine grind the particle consistency is very good.

I grind as fine as possible without clogging up my mesh filter for the Aeropress, I think its 3 clicks away from the smallest grind. I do this for consistency and to create extra pressure like an espresso machine. I grind 16 grams of local freshly roasted coffee and brew inverted, 8 fl oz of distilled water at 191F for 45 seconds. In my opinion fresh roasted coffee and grind consistency are the two biggest factors in bringing out the best flavor.

Has anyone tried the Flair Espresso maker? As a fan of manual vapes and coffee makers it appeals to me. I've heard good things about its performance but wonder if anyone here has tried it?

poutine

I'm a huge coffee fan. I like coffee makers that I can take apart and clean thoroughly. I used to have an old-school coffee machine and I started wondering what might be growing inside the water lines. I use a french press occasionally and I use an Aeropress every day. I love how it is self-cleaning, it produces a fantastic cup of coffee and you can't beat the price. Mine is over seven years old and looks like new. I grind with a Hario Skerton. Again, for the price, it offers fantastic performance. Especially with a fine grind the particle consistency is very good.

I grind as fine as possible without clogging up my mesh filter for the Aeropress, I think its 3 clicks away from the smallest grind. I do this for consistency and to create extra pressure like an espresso machine. I grind 16 grams of local freshly roasted coffee and brew inverted, 8 fl oz of distilled water at 191F for 45 seconds. In my opinion fresh roasted coffee and grind consistency are the two biggest factors in bringing out the best flavor.

Has anyone tried the Flair Espresso maker? As a fan of manual vapes and coffee makers it appeals to me. I've heard good things about its performance but wonder if anyone here has tried it?

How long does the Skerton take to grind up a cup for the aeropress? I had a slim version but never liked it. I really need to get a good grinder

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
How long does the Skerton take to grind up a cup for the aeropress? I had a slim version but never liked it. I really need to get a good grinder
I stand corrected, I didn’t look it up because I’ve been using it for so long but I do use the Hario Mini Slim. I decided on the Mini Slim because at the time it had better reviews for grind consistency. It takes entirely too long to grind the 16 grams per cup, 3-4 minutes. My water takes a few minutes to get to temp and I look at the grinding as a morning workout and it helps me wake up a bit too. There are mornings where I’m extra lazy and would like an electric grinder...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I know Stewarts is a made in Chicago brand, but is it available anywhere else in the country?Stewarts.jpg

Last edited:

poutine

I stand corrected, I didn’t look it up because I’ve been using it for so long but I do use the Hario Mini Slim. I decided on the Mini Slim because at the time it had better reviews for grind consistency. It takes entirely too long to grind the 16 grams per cup, 3-4 minutes. My water takes a few minutes to get to temp and I look at the grinding as a morning workout and it helps me wake up a bit too. There are mornings where I’m extra lazy and would like an electric grinder...

About what I thought! I will probably have to get another as I stripped the hex bolt that the handle attaches to when I tried to save time by hooking it up to a hand drill

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@poutine: that’s too funny, I forgot to mention that I’ve seen reviews of the Mini Slim that mentioned hooking up an electric drill for faster results, while risking stripping the threads! :lol:

Vapor Eyes,
Top Bottom