Dabpress Rosin Plates

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
If you are pressing round pucks, you can cut each bag into 4 sleeves. The top and bottom of the puck are against the plates so having filter there is unnecessary. Using sleeves I can press 4 pucks with a single bag.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
5g bottles
Doing that small you could cut in half and still close the ends (I tried and did not like open ended pucks) but pressing every other day for me would get laborious...I get 4+ days from my 10g pucks.
shipping to the US on those is nuts!!
Wow, free shipping to Oz...a win for once!
50 of them are $49.99 including shipping.
That is more than twice the price I would want to pay, surely there is better value available to US users somewhere.:tup:

Last edited:

Blargas541

I just got mine off a Canadian company on Amazon. They didn't have 90u bags and they weren't cheap but I want to try at least a few presses right away. I'm looking to make some really clean rosin so I picked up the 75u for a first test. Even if the yield is lower I think I might prefer that if it keeps some fats/oils out. The 4-ton dabpress arrives tomorrow and I've got a couple strains to try out (lemon mintz and dosi dosi). Let's see how it goes! I'm an amateur extractor but long-time rosin enthusiast so I expect it will take me a while to dial things in how I like them.

Any tips on the first press for a beginner? Also looking for tips how you guys dial in strains and do test presses, do you do a smaller quantity first to check out the yield and quality?

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I picked up the 75u for a first test.
I used 160u before swapping to 90u, no real difference in yield but clean-up on the SiC Halo is easier so 75u should be pretty clean!
Not sure on test loads I just started with 10g of buds to make the maths for percentage returns easy to work out and this amount seems like the perfect size for my 10t plates (I did experiment up to 50g per press but it was just a waste of time having to use a vice on my prepress to make the pucks fit in the jaws of my Dabpress).
Maybe 5g would be a good start as anything less you may as well use a hair straightener.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I opt for dual 5g pucks but you can start with pressing one at a time. I find 10g bottles are a bit stressful to fit into my plates. If pressing 20g or more at one time, there is nothing easier than using the 2x4 rectangle prepress. And dropping into a bag.

i settled on 120u bags for the majority of my pressing. It seems a lot cleaner than 160 and flows a bit better than 90 bags.

SquirrelMaster

Is the pressure gauge on the 12 ton (with separate pump) worth the extra cost for a home grower that presses their own? I was looking at the 12 ton bottle jack and decided that a 6 ton should be more than enough but I question the lack of a pressure gauge. I'd rather go with the 6 ton bottle jack because the cost is so much lower but if a pressure gauge is really worth it...

Edit: I suppose the 10 ton driptech would be the next step up for a pressure gauge.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Is the pressure gauge on the 12 ton (with separate pump) worth the extra cost for a home grower that presses their own? I was looking at the 12 ton bottle jack and decided that a 6 ton should be more than enough but I question the lack of a pressure gauge. I'd rather go with the 6 ton bottle jack because the cost is so much lower but if a pressure gauge is really worth it...

Edit: I suppose the 10 ton driptech would be the next step up for a pressure gauge.
I asked virtually the same question when I was buying my graveda press. (Actually the smaller one was the one with the guage in my case) . The consensus was to go with the one with the guage. When you get familiar with the technique apparently the guage is less useful. I've found it very valuable whilst learning and I still wouldn't want to be without it at my stage, which is still learning very much but I don't press very often. I would just add a guage to the 6 ton model if you can.

SquirrelMaster

I asked virtually the same question when I was buying my graveda press. (Actually the smaller one was the one with the guage in my case) . The consensus was to go with the one with the guage. When you get familiar with the technique apparently the guage is less useful. I've found it very valuable whilst learning and I still wouldn't want to be without it at my stage, which is still learning very much but I don't press very often. I would just add a guage to the 6 ton model if you can.
I didn't think I could add a gauge to the bottle press model but now I have to double check.
Edit: The bottle press does not accept pressure gauge according to the site.

What you're saying makes sense, I wasn't sure if heat, flower, or volume could throw pressure values out the window.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
What affects the pressure values is the size and shape of your puck. The guage will only tell you what's in the system (pressure at the jack dependant on its internal surface area of the piston for psi), you have to extrapolate a psi at the puck, but you need the guage to start with. If your pucks are the same size as the piston then the guage reads psi at the puck.

That's a shame thier bottle Jack doesn't have an outlet for a guage 😞

derosavapore

Solo canotto!
Graveda 15 t arrived yesterday. The model with a gauge. Fast delivery, it was packed in three boxes very well and the built-quality is okay.
I also waited my last life for getting a dabpress in europe but impossible. Since the black label paper is also out of stock here I ordered also them's parchment, seems also to be okay with the first press.
But, only if, there comes along a dab press at European market-places I will buy instant. Give me a sign if you want to sell yours...

Southeastern

illegal smile
Is the pressure gauge on the 12 ton (with separate pump) worth the extra cost

I have the 6t and it works great. Without the gauge it takes a little experimentation to get your pressure right, but it is a fairly simple process and easy to get the hang of.

Looking back I would probably spend the extra money and get the 10t with pump and gauge, but it is not necessary. It really depends on how much knowing the pressure matters to you. I think you can produce the same quality with or without the gauge.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Looking back I would probably spend the extra money and get the 10t with pump and gauge
Oh boy this will get your head spinning @SquirrelMaster 😂 I bought the 6 ton recently as my first press and have only put around 3oz through it. It has been very easy to use and get awesome results. The 6 ton is significant in size and weight. If it were any bigger I don’t think it would fit my needs.

LongDraw

Have a 10t with gauge. Kinda wish i would have went with the 6t, or seeing the graveda 7t with gauge. The 10t is awesome, but takes up a lot of space with the separate gauge. Have it on a small worktable in closet, but would like to reclaim that space, no other placae to put it though. The 6t dabpress or 7t graveda would be a lot easier to store other places.

Blargas541

The 4 ton bottle jack press just arrived. Amazing that I can order such a specialized product and have it shipped to my front door within 48 hours.

First impressions - it's much smaller than I expected. I was thinking about paying extra for the 10-ton mini press but it was always out of stock. But I'm pretty happy cuz the footprint on this guy is small, but the build quality is very high.

Did my first couple presses. I don't really know what I'm doing yet so the yields are poor but the quality is high right from the outset!

Still need to get the hang of the pressure, not having a gauge a bit disappointing, although I didn't realize I'd have to do calculations and stuff anyway to get use out of the pump's measurements. Might've been too lazy for that regardless.

edit: Can't seem to attach my pic here for some reason, here's a shot -

Texus

The 4 ton bottle jack press just arrived. Amazing that I can order such a specialized product and have it shipped to my front door within 48 hours.

First impressions - it's much smaller than I expected. I was thinking about paying extra for the 10-ton mini press but it was always out of stock. But I'm pretty happy cuz the footprint on this guy is small, but the build quality is very high.

Did my first couple presses. I don't really know what I'm doing yet so the yields are poor but the quality is high right from the outset!

Still need to get the hang of the pressure, not having a gauge a bit disappointing, although I didn't realize I'd have to do calculations and stuff anyway to get use out of the pump's measurements. Might've been too lazy for that regardless.

Don't sweat the lack of a gauge, you well get the feel for it in not too long.

Lavendersage

Looks great!! I got the same one and I did 190 and a couple minutes on first run and it was a beautiful color but not much. I turned it up I think 10 degrees each time? Anyway subsequent presses were darker but I pressed those 7g’s like 4 times then stopped because I didn’t want to make something gross.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
although I didn't realize I'd have to do calculations and stuff anyway to get use out of the pump's measurements.
I never do meth, I just know 2000psi on low temp (75c) on my 40mm 10g pucks is perfect for my strain. I then repress the same puck to 2500psi at high temp (95c) for some darker more 'robust' rosin that is great for bedtime.
stopped because I didn’t want to make something gross.
Never hurts to repress, if it is not much good...eat it in a brownie mix or give it to a friend.

SquirrelMaster

Thank you everyone for all the comments on a Dabpress purchase. I spent the last few days checking other presses and deciding. @The Stray Fox @LongDraw you had me thinking about size as I have too much crap already :lol:. But @Cheebsy and @Southeastern made me realize I'd be more comfortable with a gauge (I'll definitely document and do the math) so knew I needed a 10 or 12 ton. The size difference between the 10 and 12 ton is pretty close but I like that the 12 ton has larger plates and more than double the heat. I didn't know if the coupon would continue into 2022...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Plus I'm doing a dry trim and jarring my harvest and I really want to press some of it. I just placed an order for the 12 ton with pump :rockon:. No fucking around here, this will last me a lifetime of grows.

I need some bags now so I'll check Amazon. I want to try the chottle method but I think the rolls are further out than bags. Chottle is interesting because it doesn't require a press and seems to give excellent yields with less bag material. There is a good post here https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/gtfay3
I'll need bags for hash, bubble hash, and flower. 37micron for hash (both kinds iirc) and 100~ for flower again, iirc.

Thank you @FlyingLow for steering me towards a DabPress, I think this will be a good investment.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Congrats on your path to Rosineer!

Speaking for myself, it has been life changing. There is such a wealth of knowledge on FC, post up any questions as you go!

Admittedly, I do not favor chottle and prefer full bottle tech. I definitely encourage you to try every method and technique you come across. You will come to find what works for you, and what works well on some strains may not be the best method for others. It is a fast learning curve if you press often- enjoy every minute of the experience!

Blargas541

Any tips for increasing yields, and/or learning the ropes without a hands-on lesson? I've tried to watch videos and follow their techniques, but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong exactly. There's so many factors involved. I'm wondering how I might go about diagnosing what the problem is here

I haven't seen 10% yield yet, except once out of about 7-8 squishes, and I'm using some expensive bud. I've tried 3 different strains now from multiple suppliers and also got 62% boveda packs. I attached a photo of the latest strain, blue hawaiian, which I think is pretty good quality and quite fresh but still gave poor results. I've also tried both 75 and 90 micron bags. My initial test experiments (not captured in logs below) had poor yields until I looked up bottle-tek packing and I no longer see large amounts of oil stuck in the rosin bag after the press.

To gather data and collect a second run, I've tried to re-press my pucks at a higher temperature and with more pressure to see if there was anything left in them. This hasn't given me much new information to go on yet - whatever comes out is either minimal or low quality. Finally, I am uncertain about the amount of pressure/force to use, since my jack has no gauge on it. I've experimented with cranking it as tight as I possibly can vs. only tight enough to pinch the plates together but didn't see much difference yet in the yields. Sometimes when I do the second press I even get a small blowout because I try to apply more pressure to make sure I got everything - still no luck.

The last couple presses, I tried to adjust less variables to see what changed but haven't had much luck. Please see the logs below:

- 7g Lemon Mintz, 4 min press at 175 in a 75 micron bag, hand packed bottle-tek (1g back, 15% yield, high quality, second press at a higher temp didn't give much of anything)
- 7g Dosi Dosi, 2 min press at 180 in a 75 micron bag, hand packed bottle-tek (0.5g back, 7% yield, medium quality, second press at a higher temp didn't give much of anything)
- 10g Blue Hawaiian, 5 min press at 175 in a 90 micron bag, hand packed bottle-tek (0.9g back, 9% yield, medium quality, second press at a higher temp didn't give much of anything)
- 5g Blue Hawaiian, 5 min press at 160 in a 90 micron bag, hand packed bottle-tek (0.1g, 2% yield, high quality, second press at 190 for ~2 minutes yield 0.3g, 6% yield, low quality) the attached pics are from this test run
- 5g 120u dry sift, double bagged 45u inside 90u, pressed 6 mins at 160F but no oil came out, increased temp to 190F and pressed for 2 mins and got less than 0.5g of dark oil

The only thing I can think that I might need better product to start with... but the price is already more expensive than the equivalent in high end rosin. Any glaring issues I am missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20220105_200100041.jpg
    IMG_20220105_200100041.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220105_200638196.jpg
    IMG_20220105_200638196.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220105_201733687.jpg
    IMG_20220105_201733687.jpg
    910.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220105_201311626.jpg
    IMG_20220105_201311626.jpg